friend found some molds ... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : friend found some molds ...

Fwdftw
12-19-2011, 09:32
He sai d one was a 45acp swc and one was a 44 ball mold ...are they junk ? What are they ?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Rizey/imagejpeg_2_7.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Rizey/imagejpeg_2_8.jpg

fredj338
12-19-2011, 10:39
Look like old lyman. If they can be cleaned up, they may cast, if not leave them Rusty, nice reloading room stuff. The RB mold looks particularly old, may have some collectable value as is.

Fwdftw
12-19-2011, 12:05
How do I make the decision as to cast or use as relic lol

GioaJack
12-19-2011, 12:18
What the hell is going on in the top picture? The sprue plate is is mounted on the bottom of the mould, (top of the bullet) while the base is exposed with no may to cut the sprue.

You can see the two screws running through the mould which attaches the mould to the handle but they are usually located on the bottom of the mould blocks but yet there is a screw in the bottom left of the block which is used to stop the screw plate.

Something ain't right. :dunno:

Jack

WiskyT
12-19-2011, 14:18
It's a Polish nose poor mold.

EL_NinO619
12-19-2011, 14:40
I would say, if they where free, keep them as relics.. That looks like a lot of work with little results, Like Jacks marriages.. LMAO

dkf
12-19-2011, 17:01
You could media blast them to clean them up and cast some bullets to see what the look like. The top mold looks more promising than the bottom.

chris in va
12-20-2011, 04:46
I saw quite a few of the ball molds at the last gun show. They were used for the old muzzleloader rifles and pistols.

bdhawk
12-22-2011, 21:53
What the hell is going on in the top picture? The sprue plate is is mounted on the bottom of the mould, (top of the bullet) while the base is exposed with no may to cut the sprue.

You can see the two screws running through the mould which attaches the mould to the handle but they are usually located on the bottom of the mould blocks but yet there is a screw in the bottom left of the block which is used to stop the screw plate.

Something ain't right. :dunno:

Jack

it's a hollow point mold. there is a pin, with a wooden knob, that is not in the pic, or missing alltogether. it goes in the bottom, to hold the lead in place, 'till it cools. i have one in .38/.357.

GioaJack
12-22-2011, 22:40
bd...

I don't think that works, at least from what I'm seeing. On any hp mould I've had, or used, (granted there may be designs that I'm not familiar with), the pin extends through the bottom of the mould into the nose of the bullet. You still pour from the base and cut the sprue from the base.

In the picture it appears we're looking at the base of the bullet, although the left side of the cavity looks larger than the right side but it may just be the lighting. If that is the base why is the sprue plate over the nose and if it's not the base the nose of the bullet should be well inside the mould blocks, not exposed like that.

I just don't see how that configuration works, it just doesn't seem right to me.

Jack

bdhawk
12-22-2011, 22:45
bd...

I don't think that works, at least from what I'm seeing. On any hp mould I've had, or used, (granted there may be designs that I'm not familiar with), the pin extends through the bottom of the mould into the nose of the bullet. You still pour from the base and cut the sprue from the base.

In the picture it appears we're looking at the base of the bullet, although the left side of the cavity looks larger than the right side but it may just be the lighting. If that is the base why is the sprue plate over the nose and if it's not the base the nose of the bullet should be well inside the mould blocks, not exposed like that.

I just don't see how that configuration works, it just doesn't seem right to me.

Jack

it's nearly 11:00 p.m., almost bedtime, but tommorrow, i will post a pic or two, so we can compare.

Batesmotel
12-22-2011, 22:46
The round ball mould should clean up fine. Lots of muzzle loaders still cast their own.

Zombie Steve
12-23-2011, 01:30
When you get done polishing a turd, you've got yourself a shiny turd.

bdhawk
12-23-2011, 19:47
ok, here are some pics of the hollowpoint mold that we can compare. i was mistaken in my eariler post, mine is a .44 mold, not a .357 as i remembered.