Hornady lnl issue. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady lnl issue.

1in9twist
12-19-2011, 14:01
Maybe someone else had this issue and can save me some investigating. I picked up another LNL (brand new), bolted it down to the bench, cycled it by hand a few times and noticed that something is dragging\binding at the primer seating portion of the stroke. The ram stays stuck down in the seating position if you let go of the handle.(Spring is installed)
It isn't the primer slide assembly
It seems to possibly be the brass tube that the spent primer drops thru is not inline with the hole bored for it in the press frame. (So it binds when the ram brings it closest to its hole in the press frame)

The ram looks good with no obvious drag marks or scratches. I lubed everything and cycled the hell out of it and it still sticks down. http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5844/facepalm.gif

I think I might have to knock the tube out of it and see if that helps.

Any thoughts?

jbrown13
12-19-2011, 15:16
The ram stays stuck down in the seating position if you let go of the handle.(Spring is installed)

I don't fully understand this sentence. Please elaborate.

Colorado4Wheel
12-19-2011, 15:35
Maybe someone else had this issue and can save me some investigating. I picked up another LNL (brand new), bolted it down to the bench, cycled it by hand a few times and noticed that something is dragging\binding at the primer seating portion of the stroke. The ram stays stuck down in the seating position if you let go of the handle.(Spring is installed)
It isn't the primer slide assembly
It seems to possibly be the brass tube that the spent primer drops thru is not inline with the hole bored for it in the press frame. (So it binds when the ram brings it closest to its hole in the press frame)

The ram looks good with no obvious drag marks or scratches. I lubed everything and cycled the hell out of it and it still sticks down. http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5844/facepalm.gif

I think I might have to knock the tube out of it and see if that helps.

Any thoughts?

I bet it's the tube. I would also bet you would be better off just calling Hornady and getting them to send you a new one. I heard that once you pull it out you will likely mangle the tube and need a new one. I was able to remove mine with some pliers after wrapping it with a old scrap piece of rubber inner tube

DoctaGlockta
12-19-2011, 15:45
Either the primer punch is getting stuck or the spent primer tube is stuck up. Does it get stuck with the shell plate off. I managed to push out my spent primer tube after a primer back up. It went back in without a hitch.

Good luck.

1in9twist
12-19-2011, 23:18
I don't fully understand this sentence. Please elaborate.

If you push the lever forward like you are seating a primer, and you let go of the lever, it stays there. It is supposed to come back up to the "idle" position by itself.

1in9twist
12-19-2011, 23:20
Either the primer punch is getting stuck or the spent primer tube is stuck up. Does it get stuck with the shell plate off. I managed to push out my spent primer tube after a primer back up. It went back in without a hitch.

Good luck.

Yep, sticks with out the shellplate or the primer system attached. :steamed:

1in9twist
12-19-2011, 23:22
I bet it's the tube. I would also bet you would be better off just calling Hornady and getting them to send you a new one. I heard that once you pull it out you will likely mangle the tube and need a new one. I was able to remove mine with some pliers after wrapping it with a old scrap piece of rubber inner tube

I am thinking the same.

I really didn't wanna mess around with it, but prolly will cuz its just as much of a pain in the ass to send it back. :supergrin:

jbrown13
12-20-2011, 08:10
A stab in the dark, so forgive me if I'm wrong. I have the LnL AP, but have given up on the priming system and prime by hand. That said, isn't it the spring on the primer punch that returns the handle to "idle"? Have you checked the primer punch to see if the spring is bound up or dirt is causing it to stick? I was having constant problems with this occurring when I was priming on the press. The punch would stick in the up position and the primer shuttle would catch on it.

Colorado4Wheel
12-20-2011, 08:27
I am thinking the same.

I really didn't wanna mess around with it, but prolly will cuz its just as much of a pain in the ass to send it back. :supergrin:

If you call Hornady they will send you a new one. It's then easy to just grab the old one with some pliers and pull it out. I won't matter if it gets mangled. The new one is just a compression fit. Tap it in gently and your done.

A stab in the dark, so forgive me if I'm wrong. I have the LnL AP, but have given up on the priming system and prime by hand. That said, isn't it the spring on the primer punch that returns the handle to "idle"? Have you checked the primer punch to see if the spring is bound up or dirt is causing it to stick? I was having constant problems with this occurring when I was priming on the press. The punch would stick in the up position and the primer shuttle would catch on it.

There is a spring around the primer discharge tube that holds the ram up. If you don't have one that would explain your priming issues.

WiskyT
12-20-2011, 13:47
Good luck.

http://www.vhsisland.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/super_dave.jpg

DoctaGlockta
12-20-2011, 14:49
http://www.vhsisland.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/super_dave.jpg

Put Evil to shame.

1in9twist
12-20-2011, 16:50
:rofl:

Thanks!

jbrown13
12-20-2011, 17:28
There is a spring around the primer discharge tube that holds the ram up. If you don't have one that would explain your priming issues.

Steve, I have that spring in my press. I was going from memory, which I should have known better. My priming issues were intermittent, but exasperating, so I gave up and went to the RCBS hand primer. I no longer have primers that take two strikes to go bang.

Colorado4Wheel
12-20-2011, 17:33
Steve, I have that spring in my press. I was going from memory, which I should have known better. My priming issues were intermittent, but exasperating, so I gave up and went to the RCBS hand primer. I no longer have primers that take two strikes to go bang.

My solution for the same problem was to get a 650.

GioaJack
12-20-2011, 17:34
My solution for the same problem was to get a 650.

Literal translation... QUITER.

Jack

thorn137
12-20-2011, 17:44
- Lift the ram to the top, and push UP on the priming pin (from under the shell plate) to be sure it's moving freely up and down.

- When the ram is down, move the handle slightly back and forth as if you were priming over and over. You should feel no friction, resistance, etc. If you do, try loosening the priming pin a bit and retightening.

- Look down into the hole where the primer goes, and wiggle the handle. The pin should not be touching the primer slide as it comes up.

- As mentioned earlier, you should have a spring around the spent tube between the ram and the casing. (EDIT: Apparently this isn't your issue, though)

Hope that helps -

thorn

Fuerte
12-20-2011, 17:51
Could have to do with the pawls. I had a similar problem. I found this very helpful:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5450659&postcount=36

Fuerte
12-20-2011, 17:55
Pawl adjustment screws:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa333/gstjohn2/Pawls.jpg

1in9twist
12-21-2011, 00:52
Hmm....Some very good info here! Thanks! I will try tomorrow.

1in9twist
01-11-2012, 14:45
Ok, so I had some time to play with this thing. I stripped all the primer linkages,pins etc. unhooked the press linkages (Which was missing a "C" clip and a wave washer by the way) So, what I was left with was just the main cylinder that I could move up and down manually. The ram still sticks in the down (priming) position, and actually took some effort to get it "unstuck. The brass tube (Spent primer tube) was removed as well. The only thing left is that the main ram is out of spec. :dunno:

Called Hornady, they want it back. So I reassembled it and its on its way.

DoctaGlockta
01-11-2012, 15:10
Ok, so I had some time to play with this thing. I stripped all the primer linkages,pins etc. unhooked the press linkages (Which was missing a "C" clip and a wave washer by the way) So, what I was left with was just the main cylinder that I could move up and down manually. The ram still sticks in the down (priming) position, and actually took some effort to get it "unstuck. The brass tube (Spent primer tube) was removed as well. The only thing left is that the main ram is out of spec. :dunno:

Called Hornady, they want it back. So I reassembled it and its on its way.

If I were you I'd ask them to kindly send you a new unit.

You don't want to play back and forthsies with them.

Don't ask me how I know this :whistling:.

Good luck.

ron59
01-11-2012, 17:39
A stab in the dark, so forgive me if I'm wrong. I have the LnL AP, but have given up on the priming system and prime by hand.

Holy ****. No way would I "give up" on the priming system on a press that expensive. They either make it right or gimme my money back, like they did for Steve.

unclebob
01-11-2012, 17:47
Holy ****. No way would I "give up" on the priming system on a press that expensive. They either make it right or gimme my money back, like they did for Steve.

Kind of nullifies the word progressive.

1in9twist
01-12-2012, 14:15
If I were you I'd ask them to kindly send you a new unit.

You don't want to play back and forthsies with them.

Don't ask me how I know this :whistling:.

Good luck.

Yea, they are sending me a new one. I am thinking the hole was machined wrong, or the ram is out of spec.

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2012, 14:20
It will be interesting to see if it solves your priming issue. The rebuilt press did not solve mine. But I wish you luck.

ron59
01-12-2012, 14:34
It will be interesting to see if it solves your priming issue. The rebuilt press did not solve mine. But I wish you luck.

He could always prime by hand. :whistling:

IndyGunFreak
01-12-2012, 16:10

I agree. jb is not the only one I've saw that across various forums though. Seems strange you'd spend all that money on a progressive, then you'd prime off the press because the press can't prime properly.

If you're gonna do that, spend less money on a Loadmaster (which is also legendary for its priming problems)

IGF

kcbrown
01-12-2012, 18:22
I agree. jb is not the only one I've saw that across various forums though. Seems strange you'd spend all that money on a progressive, then you'd prime off the press because the press can't prime properly.

If you're gonna do that, spend less money on a Loadmaster (which is also legendary for its priming problems)

Exactly. If you're going to hand prime anyway, you may as well spend less money and get a casefeeder, all at the same time.

shotgunred
01-12-2012, 19:55
What are you guys talking about? You know there are no problems with the LNL. It is all in Steve's head.

labdwakin
01-12-2012, 20:19
OMFG... I'm about to have to buy a LNL just to see if it's as big of a POS as everyone says.

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2012, 20:21
That is what I did.

thorn137
01-12-2012, 20:52
I really enjoy my LNL...

thorn

ron59
01-12-2012, 21:36
I really enjoy my LNL...

thorn

I totally believe you. My buddy has two and I've not heard one word of complaint from him.

But wait until you want a casefeeder..... :crying:

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2012, 21:48
Many love their LnL's even with a Casefeeder. It's just hit or miss.

Fuerte
01-14-2012, 11:35
I totally believe you. My buddy has two and I've not heard one word of complaint from him.

But wait until you want a casefeeder..... :crying:

I have a case feeder. It sucks in every way. However, the bullet feeder has performed flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone

1in9twist
01-14-2012, 11:54
I haven't had any real issues with my casefeeder. A couple lil adjustments is about it. Runs great. Although, I have only used it for. 223 and . 40. My 1st LNL runs great!