Possible layoffs for PA State Police [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Possible layoffs for PA State Police

trdvet
12-19-2011, 21:04
News Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11346/1196248-454.stm#ixzz1h1200eM3)

An internal document is forecasting the possibility of layoffs at the Pennsylvania State Police.

The Patriot-News of Harrisburg, citing an internal document it obtained, reported Sunday that the agency is forecasting the potential for 400 to 500 trooper layoffs, or about 10 percent of the approximately 4,400 troopers, under a budget proposal aimed at trimming the department's spending.

The department offers full- or part-time police service to about two-thirds of Pennsylvania's municipalities, as well as complex DNA, ballistics and drug testing services, too.

The department's budget is around $900 million and even that may not be enough, according to the document, which mentions a freeze on new police academy cadet classes until 2013, closing five barracks and freezing civilian hires.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11346/1196248-454.stm#ixzz1h2o3d5tw

Any official word Deer Predator?

tusk212
12-19-2011, 22:58
If they do this, it's not going to be good. They are running super low staffed as it is. I hope it is just a scare tactic because it is contract time. I rely on these guys for back up and they are solid guys.

JDR
12-20-2011, 02:05
I work in CA but flew to PA last year for a rape case where the statute was set to expire. The PSP who assisted me were terrific. They even picked me up from the airport and took me to my hotel so I didn't have to rent a car. If any of those guys are reading this thanks again, he pled to 30 years.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/25557293/detail.html

Patchman
12-20-2011, 04:55
For DP's sake, I hope this is just a barganing tactic.

If anything, the class may just be smaller than previously planned. If you have any contacts, it wouldn't hurt to ask about making sure you're in that smaller class.

In LE, you can never count on anything good until it's actually in your hands. So you just have to Hang In There, man!

scottydl
12-20-2011, 07:38
Then-Governor Rod Blagojevich in Illinois (who is now about to head off to 14 years in federal prison) played these games with the Illinois State Police. One year he threatened to lay off the entire agency except his security detail. Another year they said the current academy class was going to be sent home, then last year it was going to be 300 troopers and 3-4 district offices being eliminated. None of it ever happened, and the state legislature magically found some loophole or "hidden money" right before the deadline every time. Hopefully this is the case for PA as well.

Deployment Solu
12-20-2011, 08:08
I will never understand the logic of giving free stuff to worthless non-productive trash, while not being able to afford necessary services. Next time they need a cop or a fireman, maybe they should call some welfare bum????

The choice seems simple ....cut welfare to make up for shortfalls in the DPS budget.

BailRecoveryAgent
12-20-2011, 08:46
I will never understand the logic of giving free stuff to worthless non-productive trash, while not being able to afford necessary services. Next time they need a cop or a fireman, maybe they should call some welfare bum????

The choice seems simple ....cut welfare to make up for shortfalls in the DPS budget.

Oh how sweet that would be.

IndyGunFreak
12-20-2011, 09:08
Any official word Deer Predator?

Hope it all works out DP.. That would suck.

scottydl
12-20-2011, 10:21

You silly person... that means the welfare portion of our society would actually have to go BE PRODUCTIVE and possibly even GET A JOB. Can you imagine?????

Morris
12-20-2011, 10:30
You silly person... that means the welfare portion of our society would actually have to go BE PRODUCTIVE and possibly even GET A JOB. Can you imagine?????

Not anymore. No. Reality is here.

rdrkt
12-20-2011, 10:56
For DP's sake, I hope this is just a bargaining tactic
Im not a PSP expert by any means. But If they laid off 500 troopers I think it would be something like everyone they've hired from 06 on and that's just not feasible. Especially with all the troopers getting ready to retire over the next few years.

tusk212
12-20-2011, 11:10
Im not a PSP expert by any means. But If they laid off 500 troopers I think it would be something like everyone they've hired from 06 on and that's just not feasible. Especially with all the troopers getting ready to retire over the next few years.

They are so low on Troopers now, it's not even funny. I know for a while (it think it was for a couple years, some years ago) they held off on academy classes. That put them behind the curve and if they start layoffs and not replacing those retiring, which is a lot, they will be in trouble.

janice6
12-20-2011, 11:12
This is what politicians do when they want to punish the voters for not yielding to their requests for more money.

Absolutely stupid to layoff emergency/fire personnel, but no one said politicians are smart.(see Biden's latest comments)

Agent6-3/8
12-20-2011, 11:40
For DP's sake, I hope this is just a barganing tactic.

No kidding! That did that crap here in WV three years ago when I was getting into LE. Just about canceled my class, then we were going to be the last for a few years. Suddenly they've got money and have been running classes regularly...

4949shooter
12-20-2011, 13:51
Being there is a class in the PA state police academy now, I would say this is a smoke screen.

At least I hope so..

stricky
12-20-2011, 13:58
It is OK because the state poloticians need to pay for their raise:
http://articles.philly.com/2011-11-26/news/30444608_1_legislators-state-lawmakers-cost-of-living-adjustment