G29 whats the best carry ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G29 whats the best carry ammo?

DeLo
12-20-2011, 13:44
Is anyone carrying with aftermarket barrels and springs? I was also wondering what the best carry ammo for the 29?

attrapereves
12-20-2011, 14:32
There really isn't a "best carry ammo" for any gun. However, there are several good loads that are equally just as good. For self defense, I might suggest something on the lighter side (135-165gr) as to prevent over penetration.

A lot of people seem to like the 155/165gr Gold Dots. I've also heard good things about a 135gr load.

I carry 155gr Winchester SilverTips from SwampFox, but I'd be willing to try something different.

G29SF
12-20-2011, 14:34
Is anyone carrying with aftermarket barrels and springs? I was also wondering what the best carry ammo for the 29?

When I can carry (i.e., out of state) I carry a G29SF with KKM and 23# spring. This is my setup always. I don't change things. It is very reliable.

I don't reload yet so I have not gone down that path.

In terms of factory ammo, my vote is for Underwood Ammo. He is currently selling the most powerful ammo on the market. I have been changing ammo a lot due to switching manufacturers (use to use Swamp Fox Ammo until Mike past away) lately so I wont bother you with my setup, however I have read several theories and like this one:

135gr high velocity for home. This round is VERY deadly and has been known to slow down fast upon impact and fragment. This has benefits in the home. (Of course Kegs has used it for deer and has experience a through-and-through so the barrier matters.)

165gr Golden Sabers for carry.

200gr XTP for big stuff.

The hardest problem I have with 10mm is all the choices! There are many, many choices for the 10mm. I tried to shoot them all and lost track at what I was doing. So now I pretty much stick with the above three.

flyandscuba
12-20-2011, 14:48
I've been carrying Double Tap's 125gr Barnes X solid copper hollow point for self defense for some time now. Although the claimed velocity on the box is probably exaggerted, it is still the hottest load with a Barnes X bullet (offering 100% weight retention) out there.

I plan to try some out on trapped wild hogs in Jan or Feb & do a little post mortem study to see how effective they are on living dense flesh... I'll document with pics & video of course!

arushus
12-20-2011, 14:58
I recommend 135gr noslers or 165gr golden sabers from underwood. Since swampfox is out, and Underwood's selection is limited, it is either deal with the limited selection of Underwood, or buy from that lying company doubletap...(Ill buy factory hornady and winchester before Id buy from doubletap)

DeLo
12-20-2011, 15:06
Thanks guys I appreciate it! The 29sf I got actually came with a kkm barrel and and steel recoil spring. I'm not sure the weight of it though. If I have a problem i'll pick up a 23# spring.

THE PUNISHER
12-20-2011, 20:27
I load my G29sf with home rolled 200gr with 800x pushing...in winter I like the extra "umph" and going to work on a lighter load (I think 135gr Noslers) so over-penetration wont be a concern.

21Carrier
12-21-2011, 00:39
I wouldn't even THINK about carrying your gun with the aftermarket barrel and spring until you have at least 500 rounds through it without a single failure. KKM makes great barrels, but every once in a while, one might need some work. Also, don't use the spring. It is unnecessary for carry, and can cause jams. I can PROMISE you that. The only time my G29 jams is with the 21lb or 23lb springs in it. It speeds up the forward slide velocity, and can hurt feeding.

I would get Underwood's 135gr bullets for carry. After a long and exhaustive search for the best .400" bullet (see my quest here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340792), I think the 135gr Nosler JHP is one of the best, especially at 1600fps. I carry that load. Other good bullets are 155/165gr Gold Dots (you'll have to make your own), 155/175gr Silvertips, or any Barnes TAC-XP (125gr is best for human SD, IMO). I would not use the other Underwood loads for carry duty. The Golden Sabers rank among the weakest bullets I've tested (great at .40S&W velocity, TOTALLY come apart at 10mm velocity), their generic JHPs are similar, and the 200gr XTP would go through AT LEAST two people before stopping. All great ammo, just not the best for human use.

So again, my top three list goes like this:

1. Underwood 135gr Nosler JHP @1600fps
2. hand loaded 155/165gr Gold Dot @ 1375/1325fps, respectively
3. Double Tap 125gr Barnes TAC-XP @ 1400fps (I very much dislike Double Tap, but they are the only company that loads this bullet, and it is a good load. They claim 1600fps, but 1400fps is about what it will do. Great bullet at that speed, much less recoil than others)

For factory ammo, here are my top three:

1. CorBon 135gr JHP (uses Sierra bullet which is actually better than the Nosler, and this load still packs a good punch)
2. Winchester 175gr Silvertip
3. Hornady 155gr XTP

Don't buy Federal Hydra-shoks. You could likely shoot a turd out of your ass faster than those bullets. They are like 180gr @ 950fps.

Jdog
12-21-2011, 01:45
I love double tap brand ammo and would recommend this brand.

Their 135's are fun to shoot but have more recoil than I like... thus being a little much for decent follow-up shots than I care for.

I really like their 180gr gold dots. I fed a whole box through my bone stock glock with no problems and I've liked reports I've seen on the expansion of this round... so that's what I carry w/the stock spring & bbl.

Order a box & try em... tell me what ya think.

CDW4ME
12-21-2011, 06:30
I went with the 155 gr. Hornady XTP.
I thought this particular load would be a good compromise of energy, penetration, and recoil control (keeping a quick follow up shot in mind).
It averaged around 1,270 fps out of my Glock 29 that's about 555# KE.
I think I made a good choice.

DeLo
12-21-2011, 07:20
I wouldn't even THINK about carrying your gun with the aftermarket barrel and spring until you have at least 500 rounds through it without a single failure. KKM makes great barrels, but every once in a while, one might need some work. Also, don't use the spring. It is unnecessary for carry, and can cause jams. I can PROMISE you that. The only time my G29 jams is with the 21lb or 23lb springs in it. It speeds up the forward slide velocity, and can hurt feeding.

I would get Underwood's 135gr bullets for carry. After a long and exhaustive search for the best .400" bullet (see my quest here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340792), I think the 135gr Nosler JHP is one of the best, especially at 1600fps. I carry that load. Other good bullets are 155/165gr Gold Dots (you'll have to make your own), 155/175gr Silvertips, or any Barnes TAC-XP (125gr is best for human SD, IMO). I would not use the other Underwood loads for carry duty. The Golden Sabers rank among the weakest bullets I've tested (great at .40S&W velocity, TOTALLY come apart at 10mm velocity), their generic JHPs are similar, and the 200gr XTP would go through AT LEAST two people before stopping. All great ammo, just not the best for human use.

So again, my top three list goes like this:

1. Underwood 135gr Nosler JHP @1600fps
2. hand loaded 155/165gr Gold Dot @ 1375/1325fps, respectively
3. Double Tap 125gr Barnes TAC-XP @ 1400fps (I very much dislike Double Tap, but they are the only company that loads this bullet, and it is a good load. They claim 1600fps, but 1400fps is about what it will do. Great bullet at that speed, much less recoil than others)

For factory ammo, here are my top three:

1. CorBon 135gr JHP (uses Sierra bullet which is actually better than the Nosler, and this load still packs a good punch)
2. Winchester 175gr Silvertip
3. Hornady 155gr XTP

Don't buy Federal Hydra-shoks. You could likely shoot a turd out of your ass faster than those bullets. They are like 180gr @ 950fps.

Thanks for the help and links to your research. I did pick up 4 boxes of 165 from Underwoods, so I'll throw a couple of them into some phone books. All my carry weapons need about 1500 rounds through them running at 100% until I am content with their performance. That's why they're all Glocks.

G29SF
12-21-2011, 08:14
I love double tap brand ammo and would recommend this brand.

Their 135's are fun to shoot but have more recoil than I like... thus being a little much for decent follow-up shots than I care for.

I really like their 180gr gold dots. I fed a whole box through my bone stock glock with no problems and I've liked reports I've seen on the expansion of this round... so that's what I carry w/the stock spring & bbl.

Order a box & try em... tell me what ya think.

The problem with Double Tap is they lie about their velocity. Not just a little, but a lot. Their ammo is not much better than cheap target ammo in terms of power.

Underwood is the best you can get right now. High power AND reasonably priced (less expensive than DT).

ruger rcm
12-21-2011, 09:16
I use hornady 165gr ftx in my stock g29. medium power for follow up shots if needed.