Lee-ness [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee-ness

Zombie Steve
12-20-2011, 21:34
Just got a Lee 6 cavity mold for .45 230 tc boolits. I figgered for under $40 I don't have much to lose. Seems to throw good looking boolits, but the freakin' handle on the sprue plate already fell off.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/1976_ford_fiesta-pic-46743.jpg

GioaJack
12-20-2011, 21:44
I am too big of a man and all around humanitarian to say...

I TOLD YA SO!

So I wont. :whistling:

Jack

Zombie Steve
12-20-2011, 21:47
The strange ChineewoodŽ they use sure does suck.

Decent boolits, anyway.

EL_NinO619
12-20-2011, 21:54
Solves all of Lee's problems...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Duct-tape.jpg

El_Ron1
12-20-2011, 23:08
http://i39.tinypic.com/xq6tv.jpg

dkf
12-21-2011, 07:43
Just got a Lee 6 cavity mold for .45 230 tc boolits. I figgered for under $40 I don't have much to lose. Seems to throw good looking boolits, but the freakin' handle on the sprue plate already fell off.

Arn't you the fellow that breaks everything? The mold never had a chance.:whistling:

Zombie Steve
12-21-2011, 08:25
I just break Jack's stuff.

fredj338
12-21-2011, 09:21
You must have pissed Santa off to get that lump of coal for Xmas. I do like some of the Lee bullet shapes, but their molds are so hit & miss. SOunds like a good investment opp, making better spru plate setup for the Lee 6cav molds.

TN.Frank
12-21-2011, 10:16
Maybe someone over here might know how to fix it.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

fredj338
12-21-2011, 11:25
Maybe someone over here might know how to fix it.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

I think one of the guys there is making sprue plates for the Lee 6cav, but I could have read it wrong.

sdelam
12-21-2011, 16:44
I did the samething with my first lee 6 cav, you have to let it get real hot. There is no way to force that spruce plate open without breaking it if it isnt hot enough. Lee sent me a replacement for free though. Now I use a electric hot plate to preheat my molds and havnt had any issues since.

WiskyT
12-21-2011, 18:43
The handle broke or fell off? The wood gets loose and slides off. The ID is square, so I turn it a bit and drive it back on the stud. Eventually, it will crack. I cracked my first one, on the mold handle itself, this weekend. It still seems to work, but eventually I'll have to replace it. I'll either drill out some round stock, or buy replacement wood from Lee.

WiskyT
12-21-2011, 18:44
As far as making the sprew easy ro cut, yes, heat the mold on a hotplate. Also, make your first couple of casts by only filling the first few cavities, the ones closest to the sprew pivot.

Colorado4Wheel
12-21-2011, 19:53
The handle slid off. I think he figured out how to fix it with out all these brilliant minds from the forum. I gave him a ton of advice on how to use a Lee mold. It should be ruined for good before the ball drops.

Zombie Steve
12-21-2011, 22:29
I only break Jack's stuff... and Lee things.

blastfact
12-22-2011, 21:07
I've come to the belief a human can break any thing and it's always,,, I mean always the things fault. Or is it red paint. I rep Bell & Gossett Pumps. I've seen so called smart folks go out of there way trying to ruin them.

Just last week I had a 400 hp pump on a cooling tower that was working until they screwed with it. Every body is pissed off from the over educated idiot PE/Engineer to everybody under his worthless arse. I go out,,, bleed the air out of it and off she goes. Problem is now $4k in mechanical seals are ruined and it leaks like a sinking ship. Run the seals dry she dies. Bummer boys!

And it's funny how red pumps, blue pumps, orange pumps, green pumps, gunmetal colored pumps all seem to fail in the hands of idiots. Surely color has nothing to do with it. :)

Bash On!

GioaJack
12-22-2011, 21:28
Zombie, blastfact is calling you an idiot... I didn't realize he knew you so well. :whistling:

Jack

fredj338
12-22-2011, 22:59
And it's funny how red pumps, blue pumps, orange pumps, green pumps, gunmetal colored pumps all seem to fail in the hands of idiots. Surely color has nothing to do with it. :)

Bash On!
Most Lee stuff comes in a pre broken state, it's not that hard to push it a bit further.:yawn:

Zombie Steve
12-22-2011, 23:51
Zombie, blastfact is calling you an idiot... I didn't realize he knew you so well. :whistling:

Jack

We went to different high schools together.

Most Lee stuff comes in a pre broken state, it's not that hard to push it a bit further.:yawn:

The Lee-ness of it all.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/1976_ford_fiesta-pic-46743.jpg

Zombie Steve
12-22-2011, 23:54

I wasn't going to say anything about this, Mullah X, but that is the scariest thing I've ever seen. Came close to shooting my monitor a few times, but the PBR medication helps.

Zombie Steve
01-13-2012, 10:41
Update - casting session the other night was interrupted with the sprue plate handle breaking. The metal handle broke straight through right after the cam motion / trying to break the sprue.

Lee customer service number is busy. Sweet.

dkf
01-13-2012, 10:45
I wish you better luck with Lee customer service than I had. Your probably best off just talking with the secretary.

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 10:46
That is one of the troubles with Lee molds. You have to get the mold HOT otherwise your putting a lot of stress on that joint. It's a constant struggle between too HOT and not hot enough. Of course what do I know. I only know how to ruin them. I have one at my house. You can use it till you get yours replaced.

Zombie Steve
01-13-2012, 10:50
Does your sprue plate take a metric crescent wrench?

Lee cs finally answered and they're sending me a new one.

GioaJack
01-13-2012, 10:53
:popcorn:

Jack

dkf
01-13-2012, 10:55
So I guess if something from Lee don't work you just break it and then they can actually see the problem and send you new one.

Note taken. You guys are great.:wavey:

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 10:57

Isn't a crescent wrench adjustable? So no Metric or STD?:whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 10:58
So I guess if something from Lee don't work you just break it and then they can actually see the problem and send you new one.

Note taken. You guys are great.:wavey:

They know their molds break all the time. Their used to it. Dies normally work fine. That confused them. They don't know how to deal with it.

Zombie Steve
01-13-2012, 10:59
We need a smiley that eats cereal and soup.

Zombie Steve
01-13-2012, 11:07
Isn't a crescent wrench adjustable? So no Metric or STD?:whistling:

It was that humor thing again. I'll indicate it next time with an asterisk (*) so you know.

GioaJack
01-13-2012, 11:13
We need a smiley that eats cereal and soup.

Cuisine of champions... and old people.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 11:27
Bring the mold over tonight. We will see if the one I have fits.

Zombie Steve
01-13-2012, 11:40
I'll have another in a few days. No biggie, but I am coming over to break all your red stuff.

WiskyT
07-26-2013, 20:19
I'm just bumping this because this thead is an example of what this forum was all about. This thread is "the good ole days". It's as classic as commercials claiming the various health benefits of various brands of cigarettes. It's like the old tooth powders with mercury in them. There is a blissful ignorance in it that we weren't aware that our beloved Jack would some day be gone.

jlbeasley1976
07-27-2013, 08:08
Considering that I just bought my 1st gun a little over a year ago and have only been reloading about 6 months, I hate that I missed out on all of those great threads y'all guys had going. I have spent hours upon hours digging through y'alls treasure trove of old threads. I have picked up just as much knowledge from you guys than I have from any reloading book I've read.
I did not know Jack. As you can tell from my join date, I got here just in time for the tale end of his run. To here y'all constantly referring to him, I'm quite sure he was a good feller and knowledgeable reloader. But now it's you guys turn, Whisky, F106, Ron59, PCJim, Fred338, Zombie Steve, Colorado4wheel, and anyone else I may have forgot to mention. Seems like its the same ones every time to give the best insight into any load problems that occur. Mix in a little sarcasm and humor, and you're on the way to making brand new "classics".
Kinda lost my train of thought there for a moment...point being, just wanted to say I appreciate you bringing these older threads back to life. And keep on posting good, informative info for me and the next generation of reloaders to be able to access in case we run into any probs. Thanks again.:notworthy::notworthy:

Zombie Steve
08-30-2013, 19:45
I'm just bumping this because this thead is an example of what this forum was all about. This thread is "the good ole days". It's as classic as commercials claiming the various health benefits of various brands of cigarettes. It's like the old tooth powders with mercury in them. There is a blissful ignorance in it that we weren't aware that our beloved Jack would some day be gone.

Bump seconded. El_Ron1 was a real loss as well. One of the funniest guys on the interweb.

I'm tipping a PBR for Mullah tonight.

:cheers:

Zombie Steve
08-30-2013, 19:47
...and you know there's a healthy streak of masochism in me if I sell real estate, but I done bought another of them Lee molds a few months back. Love / hate.

countrygun
08-30-2013, 20:03
...and you know there's a healthy streak of masochism in me if I sell real estate, but I done bought another of them Lee molds a few months back. Love / hate.

Funny coincidence. I just told my wife to stop by the LGS tomorrow and see if they still have a Lee mold from a buy-out I helped them sort out some time ago.

I haven't broken the one Lee mold I have yet and this one will be dirt cheap so :whistling:

A long time ago, a well known gunwriter passed on the secret incantation that evokes the spirits that make Lee gear work.

I have been in complete harmony with Lee gear ever since and have learned to listen to it and heed it's words.

Zombie Steve
08-30-2013, 20:06
Incantation? Do tell... (secretly).

:whistling:

F106 Fan
08-30-2013, 20:11
I did not know Jack. As you can tell from my join date, I got here just in time for the tale end of his run. To here y'all constantly referring to him, I'm quite sure he was a good feller and knowledgeable reloader.

If you haven't seen Jack's reloading equipment videos, you should! They are a hoot!

Newb Reloading Equipment Part 1 - YouTube
Newb Reloading Equipment Part 2 - YouTube

Richard

Uncle Don
08-30-2013, 21:02
They know their molds break all the time. Their used to it. Dies normally work fine. That confused them. They don't know how to deal with it.

You maybe want to correct in that people break their molds all the time. If the directions are followed as to lubing and smoking, they don't. At least none of mine have and my oldest is a six cavity 230grain 45 RN

Colorado4Wheel
08-30-2013, 22:59
You maybe want to correct in that people break their molds all the time. If the directions are followed as to lubing and smoking, they don't. At least none of mine have and my oldest is a six cavity 230grain 45 RN

To be honest I have never broken a Lee mold. Several have not worked right from the start. Warped sprue plates, bulltets that are Huge, stuff like that. But they didn't technically break.

countrygun
08-30-2013, 23:41
Incantation? Do tell... (secretly).

:whistling:

(OK just between us. )

You have to understand that Lee equipment has psychic properties of its own, which I will explain later.

When you start out, the first thing you must do is softly whisper to the equipment,

"Look you lousy (&^((&er, if you don't ^(((%^&&ing work, I am going to scatter your (&^(*&%*ing parts from here to your (*&&&&&(&*home town."

You have now awakened the spirits and they will do your bidding, but, remember this: They are very protective of you. If, after awakening them, you have any problems or something should break, it was an intentional act by the spirits to keep you from great danger that lay ahead. they could see something ominous in the immediate future and they are telling you that it is a good time to stop all reloading and crack open a beer for your own safety.

They are only looking out for your best interests.

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2013, 00:03
That actually explains a lot..

WiskyT
08-31-2013, 05:57
The problem with Lee molds is that inept people screw them up because they don't realize how fragile they are when hot. My first Lee mold, a 2cav 158swc, was working fine. I was brand new at casting and made about 1,000 good bullets with it right from the start. One of the pins got a little loose and I figured I'd peen it a bit to secure it. So, while it was hot, I took a punch and added a little extra peening to the original punch mark that was there from the factory. What harm could there be in that? The peening worked perfectly.

The problem was that the mold block got bent because the Al is soft as a spunge when hot. People think the Lee molds are bent, warped, mangled from the factory and they are wrong. It's that the owners **** them up without knowing it. Actions that wouldn't even come close to damaging an iron mold will trash an Al one so people think they didn't do anything harmful to them.

Here is the only thing that you can do with a Lee mold when it is hot: cast bullets. Anything else must be done with the utmost care and only at room temperature. Now that I learned that lesson, my Lee molds will last virtually forever.

It would help if Lee would tell people this in the instructions, but that just isn't his way. You either learn how to use his products through intuition, or you don't deserve to own them and will be forced to buy a someone else's product at three times the price.

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2013, 08:48
While it's very possible that the Mold that got ruined were because they got to Hot. But that is the damn Lee Pots fault. Set it on 5 and it will bounce around like crazy. Over 800f to under 725. It simply does not hold even close to steady temp. Once I got a gauge it was easy to see that and easier to control it by adding extra lead at the right time. As a Newbie it was a PITA. I don't know if the constant finning on some Lee molds was a result of the high temp. I still have one of the first Lee molds I bought. Never once a issue. In fact I have much better luck with the 2 cavity then the 6 cavity. It was a 2 cavity. I remember on 6 cavity I tried that had a wrapped sprue plate from the start. Nearly every Lee mold needs the edges of that sprue plate debured before the first time you try and open or close it. Or it will scare the top of the aluminum. Stuff like that is common.

Colorado4Wheel
08-31-2013, 08:57
For the record. About a month ago I bought another Lee mold. 2 cavity. I was hoping like every other lee mold it would cast large. Nope it was perfect. Nose right at spec, base just a smidge over "normal" size. The bullets out of that are nicer then the ones out of my custom 9mm mold. I mean perfect. Even dropped to .1gr. Amazing. Just wish it was .002 bigger like I normally get from Lee. I am saving it for another gun.

fredj338
08-31-2013, 14:07

you'll likely break it again. I bougth two machined steel handles, they will NEVER break. They make the cheap Lee molds useable w/o jumping thru a bunch of preheating hoops. Lee could make better stuff & charge a bit more & still be under the rest of the market, but hey, it's always about the $$.

Highspeedlane
08-31-2013, 14:15
I'd like to know how they make any money when a two cavity mold is around $20 retail (Midway).

I haven't used a Lee mold since the 80's when I bought a mold for shooting my Marlin 1895 in .45-70.

All I remember was it was one of their designs with many small driving bands. I shot them as-cast and they wouldn't stabilize in that rifle (can't remember the exact weight but somewhere around 400 grains or so).

I don't know what I did wrong but man you could hear those things cutting the wind sideways. I believe I read later Marlin rifles require fairly hard bullets to grab its rifling. I don't have it or the Lee mold anymore.

Uncle Don
08-31-2013, 14:31
Some people are able to work with their equipment without problems and some aren't. Many times, those that can't can never look to themselves as a possibility as to why. They blame "cheap", "design", "quality control", etc.

It would seem odd that I've been lucky from the 80s in that I haven't had anything that was incorrect or needed replaced. I've purchased a couple things that I didn't care for as much, but that is it. I read the directions and things just worked out. I have some other brands too and don't have issues with them either - guess I'm just lucky, huh?

As to molds, I have 8 of them. All still working. The spec as I understand it is minus 0, but possible +3. That's with a standard formula, not individual ones in which people blame the mold spec.

I called last week for a set of dies that were out elsewhere, they did have a set in stock and I bought them. In asking how demand was, I was told that they are working overtime because they are still very far behind.

Therefore, others seem to be getting along well and the few that can't, try as they might to dissuade others, doesn't seem to be working.

countrygun
08-31-2013, 14:39
I joke about Lee but, over half of my gear is Lee and I'm pretty happy with it.

Highspeedlane
08-31-2013, 14:52
My memory is horrible. I not only had one Lee mold for .45-70, I actually had two. I just went down to the "hole" where I store antique bullet manufacturing implements and discovered I had Lee molds for .38/.357, .44 Magnum, .45-70, a .31 caliber round ball mold for my Uberti Baby Dragoon, and a .36 and .44 round ball mold for various percussion revolvers.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zkIPq1zibRQ/UiJVogO0i6I/AAAAAAAAAls/aZf_rp1-iYE/w616-h493-no/lee-mold-45-70-1.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4Jnx90nOh_g/UiJVop6Y8QI/AAAAAAAAAlw/0p6P6xivw8s/w616-h493-no/lee-mold-45-70-2.JPG

One of them is a 340 grain and the other is a 450 grain, both bought to use in my Marlin 1895.

I suppose they would have worked if I had cast them out of linotype, but I was using straight WW and the Marlin just laughed at that and sent them down range like it was skipping stones across a pond.

Zombie Steve
08-31-2013, 15:20
Some people are able to work with their equipment without problems and some aren't. Many times, those that can't can never look to themselves as a possibility as to why. They blame "cheap", "design", "quality control", etc.

It would seem odd that I've been lucky from the 80s in that I haven't had anything that was incorrect or needed replaced. I've purchased a couple things that I didn't care for as much, but that is it. I read the directions and things just worked out. I have some other brands too and don't have issues with them either - guess I'm just lucky, huh?

As to molds, I have 8 of them. All still working. The spec as I understand it is minus 0, but possible +3. That's with a standard formula, not individual ones in which people blame the mold spec.

I called last week for a set of dies that were out elsewhere, they did have a set in stock and I bought them. In asking how demand was, I was told that they are working overtime because they are still very far behind.

Therefore, others seem to be getting along well and the few that can't, try as they might to dissuade others, doesn't seem to be working.

I have been told that if I was stuck in a windowless room with two bowling balls, you could come back 15 minutes later and find one broken in half and the other lost forever.

Despite Confier Jack falsely accusing me of breaking all his stuff (ok, there was a decapping pin and a tragedy with his LNL - the rock in his 1050 was not my fault), I did manage to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 boolits from the last Lee mold and still have the 2nd one running (even though I did have to open up the cavities). Throws some pretty boolits, but it's basically a highly polished turd. Heck, even a candy apple red ford fiesta can get you from point A to point B.

:whistling::supergrin:

Highspeedlane
08-31-2013, 16:14
I have been told that if I was stuck in a windowless room with two bowling balls, you could come back 15 minutes later and find one broken in half and the other lost forever.

All I know is I never want to mess with anyone capable of doing that.

motorcyclist
08-31-2013, 16:35
Michael Moore?

I now know my life is truly down hill as it's Saturday night and I'm reading about you guys breaking bullet molds...and enjoying it.

Zombie Steve
08-31-2013, 16:42
Michael Moore?

I now know my life is truly down hill as it's Saturday night and I'm reading about you guys breaking bullet molds...and enjoying it.

Still got about 5 hours of Saturday night to go stir up trouble... bloody mary Sunday, off Monday...

We should send you Little Stevie and you could go out with him... he's never been in a bar fight.

:thumbsup:

fredj338
08-31-2013, 17:03
I joke about Lee but, over half of my gear is Lee and I'm pretty happy with it.

oh I own Lee gear too, but I expect it to fail, it often does at some point. The idea that a manuf can produce crap & it's excused by some as the buyers fault is laughable. I have returned as many Lee molds as I own, about 6 now. Never returned a RCBS, Magma, Lyman or Saeco. Hmm, never broken anything on any of the others either. Like many things Lee makes, baby it, tweak it, you can often get from acceptable to good performance from their stuff.:dunno:

WiskyT
08-31-2013, 17:11
oh I own Lee gear too, but I expect it to fail, it often does at some point. The idea that a manuf can produce crap & it's excused by some as the buyers fault is laughable. I have returned as many Lee molds as I own, about 6 now. Never returned a RCBS, Magma, Lyman or Saeco. Hmm, never broken anything on any of the others either. Like many things Lee makes, baby it, tweak it, you can often get from acceptable to good performance from their stuff.:dunno:

Well, let's see, nobody buys RCBS, Magma. or Saeco molds and people DO return Lyman molds, so, it seems about even.

Zombie Steve
08-31-2013, 17:29
Well, let's see, nobody buys RCBS, Magma. or Saeco molds and people DO return Lyman molds, so, it seems about even.

I have a couple Magma molds that are fantastic. Two cavity and slow production, but great mold blocks.

Uncle Don
08-31-2013, 20:10

Well, as I said, I don't tweak it, just read and follow the directions as I know I don't know better than the manufacture. Apparently, it must bother you that I simply read the directions and get the desired results.

Yes, some other products are made of heavier duty material or carry life time warranties. Therefore, those that are hard on equipment find they will accept it, or replace it - but don't think for a moment you don't pay for that. It's business, products like that make their money from people that don't have to use the warranty because they do what they are supposed to. Therefore, the cost of replacing the product for those that don't can be more easily absorbed.

In the end, you use what works for you, I'll use what works for me. It doesn't bother me what you use and it should't bother you that some use equipment you don't think they should.

countrygun
08-31-2013, 20:19

Bear in mind that we have also seen people right here (don't worry not naming names) who have complained about breaking two or more of the plastic "indexers" on a LCT and they blame Lee. They started doing it right out of the box and kept doing it.

Other people have managed to get along fine and get a lot of use out of them until they succumb to wear. Now what is the difference, the equipment, or the user ?

fredj338
08-31-2013, 22:23
I think plenty of people buy molds by the other manuf. Yes the new Lyman molds are not as good as the older ones, but they don't break.:upeyes:

fredj338
08-31-2013, 22:26
Well, as I said, I don't tweak it, just read and follow the directions as I know I don't know better than the manufacture. Apparently, it must bother you that I simply read the directions and get the desired results.

In the end, you use what works for you, I'll use what works for me. It doesn't bother me what you use and it should't bother you that some use equipment you don't think they should.

No Don, it bothers me that you attack the user instead of the manuf. To deny Lee makes some real crap is just not realistic. Yeah I read the instructions, that doesn't keep the guid pins from falling out or the spru plate handle breaking, etc.
I really do NOT care what anyone uses but noobs deserve the to know what they are potentially getting into.:dunno: You Lee guys gt all defensive about your choice, hey, your choice. I am just calling it like I see it. It's not like I DON'T have & use Lee, it's how I know good from bad.

fredj338
08-31-2013, 22:28
Bear in mind that we have also seen people right here (don't worry not naming names) who have complained about breaking two or more of the plastic "indexers" on a LCT and they blame Lee. They started doing it right out of the box and kept doing it.

Other people have managed to get along fine and get a lot of use out of them until they succumb to wear. Now what is the difference, the equipment, or the user ?

My point exactly, why does it break? Lee could make their stuff better for very little extra $$, like better plastic or a design that doesn't induce breakage? They choose not to & people have to replace parts & tinker. Just make it right.:dunno: I know going into any Lee product, I risk having to send it back sooner than later. If not, good for me, they got one right. AGain, I do NOT care what anyone else uses, I too use Lee gear, just understand what you are likely getting into up ftont, saves lots of wear & tear on the nerves.

Uncle Don
09-01-2013, 02:06
No Don, it bothers me that you attack the user instead of the manuf. To deny Lee makes some real crap is just not realistic. Yeah I read the instructions, that doesn't keep the guid pins from falling out or the spru plate handle breaking, etc.
I really do NOT care what anyone uses but noobs deserve the to know what they are potentially getting into.:dunno: You Lee guys gt all defensive about your choice, hey, your choice. I am just calling it like I see it. It's not like I DON'T have & use Lee, it's how I know good from bad.

Deleted my post. Simply don't want to get into it with you. Too many priorities in life.

WiskyT
09-01-2013, 05:58
My point exactly, why does it break? Lee could make their stuff better for very little extra $$, like better plastic or a design that doesn't induce breakage? They choose not to & people have to replace parts & tinker. Just make it right.:dunno: I know going into any Lee product, I risk having to send it back sooner than later. If not, good for me, they got one right. AGain, I do NOT care what anyone else uses, I too use Lee gear, just understand what you are likely getting into up ftont, saves lots of wear & tear on the nerves.

Are we talking about molds, or all equipment? Are you saying the RCBS, Lyman, Dillon products don't break or wear out parts? How about Hornady's wonderful LNL that costs significantly more than any Lee press?

I can see why Zio Don doesn't want to bother arguing through the koolaide and hyperbole.

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2013, 10:40
I can see why Zio Don doesn't want to bother arguing through the koolaide and hyperbole.

It's not "Kool Aid" when people ask AND the advice comes from actually owning the equipment. It's just a prejudice to call someone a "Kool Aid Drinker" as it is to Bash what you don't own or have owned. Both are wrong.

IMHO I have earned the right to bash the LnL and LoadMaster as much as I want. If the LoadMaster had a priming system that worked it would be a Way better press then the LnL. At least the rest of the LoadMaster actually works.

WiskyT
09-01-2013, 13:12
It's not "Kool Aid" when people ask AND the advice comes from actually owning the equipment. It's just a prejudice to call someone a "Kool Aid Drinker" as it is to Bash what you don't own or have owned. Both are wrong.

IMHO I have earned the right to bash the LnL and LoadMaster as much as I want. If the LoadMaster had a priming system that worked it would be a Way better press then the LnL. At least the rest of the LoadMaster actually works.

Well, that has nothing to do with what I was talking about, but other than that, I can see why you quoted me:yawn:

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2013, 13:25
Because it seems people brand everyone who recommends a Dillon as simply doing it because they drank some crazy Kool Aid. And people who like the Pro 1000 (which I have no experiance with) and the LM think we are crazy for recommending the Dillons. I was responding to the Kool Aid remark.
Lee makes some great stuff. Some of it has a history of just not working for the majority. Then smart people like you know how to make it work. I don't think just because someone with above average ability can make something work that it should be recommended to the masses. I also don't understand why Lee Supporters cant's see the overwhelming evidence that some of their products are just a PITA and simply not suited for the average newbie reloader. Warning the average Joe about this is not a Kool Aid drinker. Your doing the majority of people a favor by warning them about the the known problematic presses (Load Master and Pro 1000). Can they work. Sure. Is it common for people to struggle with them especially at the start. You bet.

SCmasterblaster
09-01-2013, 16:09
I've been using Lee molds for years and years - no problems.

Uncle Don
09-01-2013, 16:47
I've been using Lee molds for years and years - no problems.

Don't say that - you're just going to get yourself in the trouble with the board experts.

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2013, 17:20
From my experience with Lee molds you just need to be sure to not let them get to hot. If it's good from the factory and you do that you will be fine for a good amount of time.

fredj338
09-01-2013, 17:40
Are we talking about molds, or all equipment? Are you saying the RCBS, Lyman, Dillon products don't break or wear out parts? How about Hornady's wonderful LNL that costs significantly more than any Lee press?

How is it koolaid or hyperbole to state opinion based on facts? I am sure other manuf equip breaks, I am sure other manuf equip falls thru the QC cracks, but my exp, as well as countless others, shows Lee to be lesser quality than the others. SImple fact. If others like to tinker or accept lesser quality, I have no issue with that, but declaring those of us that value higher quality as ham handed goons that just don't get it, well, that is just being a bit too simple & insecure about your own choices in life.
Lee offers basically entry level equip. Most that start with Lee buy "better", what ever that is, later. As to the LNLAP. well it's short comings have been documented here & other forums many times, but I am sure it's just some koolaid drinker not following instructions.:upeyes:

fredj338
09-01-2013, 17:45
Don't say that - you're just going to get yourself in the trouble with the board experts.

COme on Don, you need to grow up. You like Lee, great, someone has to buy their stuff. I cast a lot, have a lot of gear, a lot of Lee molds, pots, etc. Their 2cav molds are crap. So much so they redesigned them this year, imagine that. I've sent back as many 6cavs as I own; pins falling out, screws stripping, bullets woefulyl out of round, etc, that should not happen. I don't expect much from a $50 mold though, but the handles should stay in one piece w/o buying a hotplate to preheat the fricking mold. Again, your choice, I have mine. Infering it's the operator & not the gear though, yeah, that's just a bit out there. It's not like I called your dog ugly.:dunno:

WiskyT
09-01-2013, 17:52
How is it koolaid or hyperbole to state opinion based on facts? I am sure other manuf equip breaks, I am sure other manuf equip falls thru the QC cracks, but my exp, as well as countless others, shows Lee to be lesser quality than the others. SImple fact. If others like to tinker or accept lesser quality, I have no issue with that, but declaring those of us that value higher quality as ham handed goons that just don't get it, well, that is just being a bit too simple & insecure about your own choices in life.
Lee offers basically entry level equip. Most that start with Lee buy "better", what ever that is, later. As to the LNLAP. well it's short comings have been documented here & other forums many times, but I am sure it's just some koolaid drinker not following instructions.:upeyes:

The point that you and Steve miss is that you try to support your claim of Lee inferiority by referencing other companies as though their stuff doesn't break!

So, Lee breaks because it is inferior, and the other stuff breaks because sooner or later everything breaks:upeyes:

It's like the guy with the Mercedes Benz talking about how well made it is. Go the MB dealer and take a peak at their service bay. My neighbor is stuck with one because it is all his wife will own. It cost him $2,000.00 to have one strut replaced. The remote trunk release broke and it cost a grand to fix because it is not s simple solenoid, it has some type of vacuum servo or other. He was just going to use the key, but the dealer warned him that the key lock WILL break and then they have to do body work after they pull the lock cylinder to get the trunk open because you can't access the trunk by removing the rear seat. Sounds like a winner to me.

Koolaide=hypocracy

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2013, 17:58
The point that you and Steve miss is that you try to support your claim of Lee inferiority by referencing other companies as though their stuff doesn't break!

So, Lee breaks because it is inferior, and the other stuff breaks because sooner or later everything breaks:upeyes:

Show me just once where I said Dillon doesn't break.

Show me just once were I bash Lee or Hornady because it BROKE.

I bash them because they don't work. Two very different things.

I have not idea where you got that idea.

Uncle Don
09-01-2013, 18:01
Interesting sermon Fred - all I'm doing is the same thing you guys do on a nearly every day basis. Am I not entitled to my say in that it disagrees with a few? In this case, I interjected a little humor, obviously not seen by you.

If I go back in threads regarding Lee equipment, might I see degregating humor through images and posts? While I think you have a lot to offer in many of your posts, this "freedom" goes both ways Fred.

Do I need to grow up - yes, probably. Most of the time I live by that in not responding to the daily assault on some others peoples choice. Today, I was weaker. Tomorrow, I'll probably return to letting this become a one sided situation again. Is it possible that you may need to grow a little too?

Sometimes, I see people that tried Lee, decided they didn't like it and went with another brand. I have absolutely no issue with that. The reason is they let others make their own choices and don't initiate a crusade. We need to help new people, regardless of the color they choose. All companies make some good product - let's steer them based on their needs as opposed to strictly color.

Uncle Don
09-01-2013, 18:02

Be clear - they don't work for you.

WiskyT
09-01-2013, 18:03

You're putting too fine a point on this. Broke, doesn't work, needs mods, it's all the same. There is nothing wrong with pointing out the shortcomings on Lee stuff. But, memories get real short around here when it comes to the shortcomings of some other colored stuff.

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2013, 18:09
Sometimes, I see people that tried Lee, decided they didn't like it and went with another brand. I have absolutely no issue with that. The reason is they let others make their own choices and don't initiate a crusade. We need to help new people, regardless of the color they choose. All companies make some good product - let's steer them based on their needs as opposed to strictly color.

I do exactly that. I recommend Lee all the freaking time. LCT, Lee Dies. I have bought two LCT's and countless molds. Even a Mold in the last month. But I get lumped in with all the Lee Bashers simply because In MY Opionion the LoadMaster and Pro 1000 are not a great press to start with or even upgrade to. That is my opinion. LoadMaster based on experience Pro 1000 based on countless post of people having priming issue. I normally keep my mouth shut about the Pro 1000 because Whisky swears it's works. I just don't know. Lee molds will break if you don't heat up the mold and handle before starting. It's not like that is hard to do. I have never broken a Lee Mold. Just had several that didn't cast right and finned no matter what. I just return them and the replacement is usually fine.

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2013, 18:15
You're putting too fine a point on this. Broke, doesn't work, needs mods, it's all the same. There is nothing wrong with pointing out the shortcomings on Lee stuff. But, memories get real short around here when it comes to the shortcomings of some other colored stuff.

I don't see a lot of shortcomings on the Dillon. They work fine from the factory. Can you improve them YES. But you don't need to to make them work. Big difference. I think your way off base. Breaking and Not Working is a big difference in my book. I didn't mod my 550 at all. My 650 has the roller mod because I got it for free and a little piece of tubing on the primer catch thing. Besides that it's stock. Neither MOD was needed. Nether my 550 or my 650 has ever broken. Parts wear out that is normal. Again Big Difference from that and buying a brand new press that doesn't work. I have been there done that twice. Load Master and the LnL.

Uncle Don
09-01-2013, 18:25
I do exactly that. I recommend Lee all the freaking time. LCT, Lee Dies. I have bought two LCT's and countless molds. Even a Mold in the last month. But I get lumped in with all the Lee Bashers simply because In MY Opionion the LoadMaster and Pro 1000 are not a great press to start with or even upgrade to. That is my opinion. LoadMaster based on experience Pro 1000 based on countless post of people having priming issue. I normally keep my mouth shut about the Pro 1000 because Whisky swears it's works. I just don't know. Lee molds will break if you don't heat up the mold and handle before starting. It's not like that is hard to do. I have never broken a Lee Mold. Just had several that didn't cast right and finned no matter what. I just return them and the replacement is usually fine.

Your not getting bashed. Funny term - just look over this thread alone and see where that takes you. The only difference is that there are some that don't find it as funny on page 4 as they did on 1.

What I'm simply taking issue with is that you had trouble and switched - fine. However, because you had trouble, you assume that all don't work even though I think you know better. Because of this, you evangelize against it as though it's industry fact. If that were true, Lee wouldn't be in business, but somehow, they are.

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2013, 18:42
What I'm simply taking issue with is that you had trouble and switched - fine. However, because you had trouble, you assume that all don't work even though I think you know better. Because of this, you evangelize against it as though it's industry fact. If that were true, Lee wouldn't be in business, but somehow, they are.

It' s not like my troubles with the Load Master are unique. They are common. Same but less so with the LnL. But every problem with the LnL I had I can show countless others with the same issue. All on New presses all not corrected by the factory. So the commonality of the issues and my personal experience are what led me to this position. I feel that is a more then fair way to proceed.

Basically, I will only recommend products I feel people have a really good chance of success with.

Nice I ended that sentence with a preposition. ;)

dkf
09-01-2013, 18:46
You can see why there is a lower price point in most Lee products when compared to their competition. Primarily in materials and processes used to makes the parts.

Important thing is that they work and lot of the cheaper Lee products still work very well for the price point. Some other things not so much. It is what it is.

Most of my stuff is Lee but the one time I needed to contact CS I was pretty pissed at how worthless they were and how they did not seem to care that their product did not work. I was not the only one to have that experience. However there are more positive experiences than negatives.

Over on cast boolits it does seem like there is a high return rate on Lee molds. However there are also a lot of Lees molds bought.

fredj338
09-02-2013, 01:50
Interesting sermon Fred - all I'm doing is the same thing you guys do on a nearly every day basis. Am I not entitled to my say in that it disagrees with a few? In this case, I interjected a little humor, obviously not seen by you.

If I go back in threads regarding Lee equipment, might I see degregating humor through images and posts? While I think you have a lot to offer in many of your posts, this "freedom" goes both ways Fred.

Do I need to grow up - yes, probably. Most of the time I live by that in not responding to the daily assault on some others peoples choice. Today, I was weaker. Tomorrow, I'll probably return to letting this become a one sided situation again. Is it possible that you may need to grow a little too?

Hey attack equip all you want, especially if you have actually used anything you have an opinion on, I don't care, but personnal sniping, not mature. I have used Lee & other gear, I know the diff between good & medicore. All good, as long as you are reloading & casting, doesn't really matter what with if it works for you.

fredj338
09-02-2013, 01:56
It' s not like my troubles with the Load Master are unique. They are common. Same but less so with the LnL. But every problem with the LnL I had I can show countless others with the same issue. All on New presses all not corrected by the factory. So the commonality of the issues and my personal experience are what led me to this position. I feel that is a more then fair way to proceed.

Basically, I will only recommend products I feel people have a really good chance of success with.

If someone has to post threads about how to make a LEE progressive just run, that has got to be telling you something. Either the press is fd or the instructions or fd or both. I literally took my 550 out of the box & put dies in it & started reloading. Same for my 650. That is of course what I would expect paying 3-4x as much as the Lee. My time is worth something. I reload to make ammo, not reload to tinker with my equip. Time I spend tinkering is time I am NOT spending reloading.
The gear Lee makes I do like & recommend are their 20# BP pot & their dies. Everything else, not so much. Their 6cav molds I live with, but I really can't recommend them, just too hit or miss & I have 4-5 now.

Uncle Don
09-02-2013, 03:29
If someone has to post threads about how to make a LEE progressive just run, that has got to be telling you something. Either the press is fd or the instructions or fd or both. I literally took my 550 out of the box & put dies in it & started reloading. Same for my 650. That is of course what I would expect paying 3-4x as much as the Lee. My time is worth something. I reload to make ammo, not reload to tinker with my equip. Time I spend tinkering is time I am NOT spending reloading.
The gear Lee makes I do like & recommend are their 20# BP pot & their dies. Everything else, not so much. Their 6cav molds I live with, but I really can't recommend them, just too hit or miss & I have 4-5 now.

Again - didn't tinker, just set it up correctly. You are right about the Dillion. I've always said that Mike Dillon is a brilliant marketer. He created a product that takes two of the four steps out of a fully progressive press, makes another easier and non-adjustable and charges two to three times more.

If one can't set up a LM properly, they go to a Dillon. I have "zero" issue with that and you've never seen me bash Dillon as there is definitely a market.

Another thing I've pointed out however is that the no BS warranty always made me giggle as I would read sentences that start with "It was my fault, but I broke . . . " or "I pushed to hard and broke . . . ". They always end with "they replaced without any hassle" or something similar. One pays for the lack of personal responsibility.

There is where Mike Dillion had it right. There are a few people that do that, but the majority can make theirs work properly right away for the reasons I stated. They pay the difference and don't need the warranty. They cover the cost of parts for those that can break bowling balls. The truth is that those that never call Dillion on their press could probably make any press run simply by setting it up correctly.

As to molds and furnaces - again, perhaps I'm very lucky "what are the odds?" - as I haven't had an issue with heat regulation or the molds. I'm buying a Saeco or Lyman soon, but only because they make a mold for a 43 Spanish that Lee doesn't.

Uncle Don
09-02-2013, 03:33
Hey attack equip all you want, especially if you have actually used anything you have an opinion on, I don't care, but personal sniping, not mature. I have used Lee & other gear, I know the diff between good & medicore. All good, as long as you are reloading & casting, doesn't really matter what with if it works for you.

Again - review the images and fun you were having on the beginning pages of this thread alone. Hey, go ahead as that is part of the fun of a forum, but then to call me immature for calling it out as a double standard, well . . pot, kettle thing.

fredj338
09-02-2013, 10:16
Again - review the images and fun you were having on the beginning pages of this thread alone. Hey, go ahead as that is part of the fun of a forum, but then to call me immature for calling it out as a double standard, well . . pot, kettle thing.

Don, Don, implying someone is stupid because they don't like your press is not calling them out. Even you stated it took you awhile to get your press running right. I am only pointing out that for those that have a little more $$ & a lot less time, there are better tools. I don't reach for a screwdriver to open paint or use the but off my gun for a hammer. Both will work but a hammer is a better tool for pounding nails. So I'll stick by my comment, you are acting immature about people "bashing" your toy, grow up, let it go. We all have our opinions, we all make our own choices.

Uncle Don
09-02-2013, 11:29
Don, Don, implying someone is stupid because they don't like your press is not calling them out. Even you stated it took you awhile to get your press running right. I am only pointing out that for those that have a little more $$ & a lot less time, there are better tools. I don't reach for a screwdriver to open paint or use the but off my gun for a hammer. Both will work but a hammer is a better tool for pounding nails. So I'll stick by my comment, you are acting immature about people "bashing" your toy, grow up, let it go. We all have our opinions, we all make our own choices.

Not sure how many times I have to say it, but I couldn't care less what someone chooses, nor do I call anyone stupid. But it seems important to you to put words in my mouth. The reality is that I'm doing nothing different than you, but the difference is that you outright bash choices that you don't approve of, I don't. The proof is there on a regular basis.

Why is it ok for you to do what you do on a regular basis, but wrong for me to simply challenge your "authority" as opposed to bashing any brand of reloading equipment?

Based on post count and the number of them that you devote to bashing Lee (including this one) , I'd say that it's more important for you to criticize them than for me to defend them. Don't sweat it, I go back to work tomorrow and you can return to your ways unchallenged - for the most part.

In the meantime, you can keep this up all you want, I'm not backing down.

fredj338
09-02-2013, 13:52

Yeah, Lee's QC is my problem.:dunno:
Yeah, the word snarky comes to mind.

Uncle Don
09-02-2013, 15:50
Ya, ok.

bdhawk
09-03-2013, 22:33
I have the 230 gr TC, six cavity mold, for .45 ACP. it has served me well for a long time. that being said, I kinda baby it/them. I have several lee six cavity molds. the methods I use, which I indicate below, works well for me.

first, while the lead is melting in the furnace, put the mold on the furnace. my lyman 20 pounder, bottom pour, has a neat shelf, just for that.

when I start, I pour three bullets at a time, alternating every other cavity, then the next time, the other three cavities. this lets the mold heat up evenly, and puts less stress on the sprue cutter, 'till the mold gets up to optimum temp.

I cut the sprue, rather quickly, as soon as it solidifies.

after mold gets up to temp, I cast from front to back, then, next pour, back to front. this keeps the temp of the mold even.

if a bullet fails to drop, I gently tap the hinge bolt with a little wooden mallet I made.

if you have to stop casting for a short while, cut the sprue, but leave the bullets in the mold to retain their heat. you can get back up to temp more quickly.

I frequently lube the pins with a crayon. easy to get a crayon in there , to lube the pins.

under full disclosure, before I started using the methods I mentioned above, I did break the metal part of the sprue cutter handle. lee replaced it rather quickly. I received a new one in about ten days. this was on a .45 ACP 200 gr. SWC, mold. in hindsight, I call that failure, my fault.

countrygun
09-03-2013, 22:40

Last time I ended a sentence with a proposition, I got my face slapped.:whistling:

Uncle Don
09-04-2013, 06:47
when I start, I pour three bullets at a time, alternating every other cavity, then the next time, the other three cavities. this lets the mold heat up evenly, and puts less stress on the sprue cutter, 'till the mold gets up to optimum temp.

I cut the sprue, rather quickly, as soon as it solidifies.

after mold gets up to temp, I cast from front to back, then, next pour, back to front. this keeps the temp of the mold even.

if a bullet fails to drop, I gently tap the hinge bolt with a little wooden mallet I made.

if you have to stop casting for a short while, cut the sprue, but leave the bullets in the mold to retain their heat. you can get back up to temp more quickly.

I frequently lube the pins with a crayon. easy to get a crayon in there , to lube the pins.

While I'm aware of a couple of those things, you have some great tips which I'll be incorporating. I didn't think about the crayon, nor the three cavities at time to start. I do fill the mold when done, but didn't bother to cut the sprue - what a pain, I'll remember your tip.

Colorado4Wheel
09-04-2013, 08:56
This is just me and my luck. But anytime I cut the sprue right after it solidifies (which is rushing the process) I eventually end up with lead smearing on the mold block and sprue plate. This can ruin a aluminum mold. For me, the easy answer is to never cut the sprue to fast. Let is set up nice and solid. So I just use a little hot plate, put the mold on the hot plate, then the mold is up to temp at the first casting. I have a little aluminum cap that fits over the mold it to get the sprue plate nice and hot as well. I get 6 good bullets on the second cast usually.

fredj338
09-04-2013, 11:46
This is just me and my luck. But anytime I cut the sprue right after it solidifies (which is rushing the process) I eventually end up with lead smearing on the mold block and sprue plate. This can ruin a aluminum mold. For me, the easy answer is to never cut the sprue to fast. Let is set up nice and solid. So I just use a little hot plate, put the mold on the hot plate, then the mold is up to temp at the first casting. I have a little aluminum cap that fits over the mold it to get the sprue plate nice and hot as well. I get 6 good bullets on the second cast usually.

Get some two stroke chainsaw oil & a Cuetip. Put a thin film on the bottom of the spru plate & top of the mold when it is hot, wipe it off w/ a dry Cuetip. This seems to help prevent the occasional lead smear that eventually builds up to cause galling.
With the Lee 6cav, waiting for the spru to just solidify, count to 2, then break it open. A steel spru plate handle pretty much solve the biggest flaw in the Lee 6cav, but it will cost you another $15.

WiskyT
09-04-2013, 15:33

Lead on top of the mold ruins it? Where's you learn that gem, BEForums:rofl: Or was it those geniouses at Castboolets? I read the Leementing crap over there and I never read so much bull**** in all my life.

I cut sprues hot because it's easier. One finger on the handle wipes it open and I never have a problem.

As for warming up a mold in the first place, it's simple, use a ****ing hotplate or cast into the mold without the sprue plate in position until it warms up. Am I supposed to believe a more expensive mold warms itself up?

Zombie Steve
09-04-2013, 16:08
OOOoooOOOOOooohhhhhh.... LEEmenting.

:rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
09-04-2013, 16:17
Well it won't cast right till you get it off. PITA.

RustyFN
09-04-2013, 17:26
:popcorn:

jlbeasley1976
09-04-2013, 18:52
Alright kids. Enough. I will not stand by and listen to you guys bad mouth Lee products anymore. Especially when they produce bullets as fine as these consistently one after another.

norton
09-04-2013, 18:53
Alright kids. Enough. I will not stand by and listen to you guys bad mouth Lee products anymore. Especially when they produce bullets as fine as these consistently one after another.

A little file work and those boolits are ready for loadin!

jlbeasley1976
09-04-2013, 19:01
Figured I might need to clear it up before someone goes to thinking I'm knocking lee. As a broke, cheap newbie, 9 months ago when I started reloading all I bought was lee products. Dies, molds, press, everything Lee. And of right this moment, I am completely happy and have had no problems whatsoever with my startup kit

norton
09-04-2013, 19:10
Ok Gentlemen-
Both Steve's, Uncle Don and Fred.
I will be the voice of reason here.
Like many of you I also own Dillon, Lee and Hornady & RCBS reloading and casting equipment.
Most of it I have been satisfied with the performance.
When I got ready to buy my first press, a guy from my club for many years gave me one piece of advice. Don't buy any Lee Stuff.
He was wrong. I use Lee casting molds-I do find the 6 cavity molds better then the 2 cavity-
I use a Lee priming tool. Have since day one.
I use a Lee casting pot. It runs fine, although some day I will break down and buy either an RCBS or Lyman. Want more temp control.
I run a Dillon case feeder on my 550. I love it. Most don't.
I bought but seldom use my Hornady Lock and load case prep center. Although it works fine, and looks really cool on my reloading bench.
I have a Mec sizemaster shotshell press. I love loading shot shells, although I don't shoot many rounds of trap. If I shot more trap I would buy a progressive shot shell press.
I use a Rock Chucker for my rifle rounds, and low volume pistol loads.
My first press was a Lyman turret. I traded it to one of the guys here on GTR.
My Molds are Lee 2 and 6 cavity, and Lyman 2 cavity
So what do I have that I wouldn't buy again?
- Lyman Turret. Nothing really wrong with it, except I didn't like the loose linkage.
-Lee 2 cavity molds. But they are incredibly cheap to purchase. Most of them make good enough pistol plinking bullets. But if I did it again, I would only buy the Lee 6 cavity molds.
What would I buy more of?
Lee dies. Their pistol dies are IMO, better for my use then the RCBS dies I own. I like the decapping die Lee makes better then either the RCBS or the Dillon's I own.

Steel Head
09-04-2013, 19:47
Figured I might need to clear it up before someone goes to thinking I'm knocking lee. As a broke, cheap newbie, 9 months ago when I started reloading all I bought was lee products. Dies, molds, press, everything Lee. And of right this moment, I am completely happy and have had no problems whatsoever with my startup kit

Another happy Leenewbie:wavey:

Colorado4Wheel
09-04-2013, 20:20
This is too much trouble. I ain't reading this any more. Post are too long for me.

Zombie Steve
09-05-2013, 00:23
Ok Gentlemen-
Both Steve's, Uncle Don and Fred.
I will be the voice of reason here.
Like many of you I also own Dillon, Lee and Hornady & RCBS reloading and casting equipment.
Most of it I have been satisfied with the performance.
When I got ready to buy my first press, a guy from my club for many years gave me one piece of advice. Don't buy any Lee Stuff.
He was wrong. I use Lee casting molds-I do find the 6 cavity molds better then the 2 cavity-
I use a Lee priming tool. Have since day one.
I use a Lee casting pot. It runs fine, although some day I will break down and buy either an RCBS or Lyman. Want more temp control.
I run a Dillon case feeder on my 550. I love it. Most don't.
I bought but seldom use my Hornady Lock and load case prep center. Although it works fine, and looks really cool on my reloading bench.
I have a Mec sizemaster shotshell press. I love loading shot shells, although I don't shoot many rounds of trap. If I shot more trap I would buy a progressive shot shell press.
I use a Rock Chucker for my rifle rounds, and low volume pistol loads.
My first press was a Lyman turret. I traded it to one of the guys here on GTR.
My Molds are Lee 2 and 6 cavity, and Lyman 2 cavity
So what do I have that I wouldn't buy again?
- Lyman Turret. Nothing really wrong with it, except I didn't like the loose linkage.
-Lee 2 cavity molds. But they are incredibly cheap to purchase. Most of them make good enough pistol plinking bullets. But if I did it again, I would only buy the Lee 6 cavity molds.
What would I buy more of?
Lee dies. Their pistol dies are IMO, better for my use then the RCBS dies I own. I like the decapping die Lee makes better then either the RCBS or the Dillon's I own.

I done said I cast a few ten thousand boolits from the last mold block, and they's purty and akrit boolits.

Muh point was (and is) that like the 1982 Ford Fiesta, most Leequipment will get you from point A to point B.

I love the RCBS Rockchucker. RCBS dies... so-so. Lee Classic Turret - WORKS! Most other Lee stuff I've dealt with is poop sauce. If'n I was gonna buy Dillon, I'd leave the Square Deal in the dreamy Blue Press pages. They all have strengths and weaknesses... Lee just has an inordinate amount of poop sauce. Some of the stuff works, but you're driving a Ford Fiesta any way you slice it.

In case you didn't catch it... I rock a green press for 9 calibers. 550B on the side for .45 auto.

Zombie Steve
09-05-2013, 00:25

Don't touch the sprue handle when you pour. You're essentially engaging the cam on the sprue plate.

norton
09-05-2013, 13:28
This is too much trouble. I ain't reading this any more. Post are too long for me.

Think of it as the War and Peace of posts.