New 20SF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New 20SF

rbailey13
12-20-2011, 23:15
Hello everyone. I picked up a new glock 20SF that I plan on using as a woods gun. I plan on using DT WFNGC 200gr hardcast through it. I wanted a deep penetrating round (and I don't handload, well not as of yet). I see many people replace the recoil spring with a heavier one. I also see people that say to leave at the factory settings (which I like). Any input or thoughts about this from other 10mm shooters would be appreciated. I don't plan on running thousands of rounds down the pipe, just using it for large things with 4 legs that might want to naw on me.

TDC20
12-20-2011, 23:32
There's really no need to replace the stock spring. Using a heavier spring may help a little in wear and tear if you're going to be shooting mostly hot ammo, and it will keep the brass closer, but if you're not going to be shooting a lot of hot ammo at the range, I would stick with the stock spring.

I use a 22lb Wolff spring in my G20, and it has been 100% reliable for me, but not everyone reports the same good fortune. The stock spring will always be the most reliable set up, so stick with that and you really can't go wrong.

The heavier springs can also make recoil seem slightly more aggressive compared to the stock spring

Enjoy your new 20SF!

arushus
12-21-2011, 11:20
Congrats and welcome to the club!
A heavier recoil spring is not a necessity, for the most part it just does two things-Keeps your brass from flying so far away, and reduces battering of your gun. There are arguably other benefits, such as slightly increased velocity, and prolonging the life of your brass.

Whether you reload or not, I recommend you save your brass. Someone will buy it from you.

Doubletap makes good ammo, but they lie about their velocities. Their bullets are consistently 150-200fps under what they say on the box. When Mike Mcnett was confronted about this, he pretty much just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Im staying busy, so why change anything?" It is for this reason several of us refuse to purchase anything from doubletap, but you are a big boy...do your own research and make your own conclusions.

I highly recommend Underwood Ammo, his 10mm ammo meets and exceeds its published velocities, and it is truly full power 10mm ammo. He does not make a hardcast round as of yet, but he does make a 200gr xtp round that is very good for hunting and protection in the outdoors! Ir you are dead set on hardcast rounds, I recommend Buffalo Bore. Buffalo Bore and Underwood Ammo are about the only manufacturers Ive come across that make full power 10mm ammo and actually meet their published velocities. Hornady actually does a very good job of meeting its stated velocities among its 10mm selection, but it isnt what I would call "full power", it is more like medium power 10mm ammo.

Taterhead
12-21-2011, 12:05
I hand load the DT WFNGC hardcast bullets. My velocities are a little faster than what I have seen in chrony reports. At 1205 fps they function great with the stock G20 setups. The only time I have had failures in my gun are with the Wolff 22# spring. I think it is because of the accelerated forward velocity of the slide return that doesn't properly collect the next round. There have been no issues with this particular bullet however.

Bottom line both will work, most likely. However, going with a heavier recoil spring may introduce some inconsistency.

rbailey13
12-21-2011, 17:51
Thank you for all the great information. I will run with it with the glock spring. The only reason I was going to use the hardcast was for the deeper penetration and to go through bones and/or skull. I am open to other ammo choices as well and will be checking the underwood site for sure. Thank you again, Rob

Opie 1 Kenopie
12-21-2011, 23:18
Rob, I picked up one of the last boxes of 200gr. XTP from Mike at Swampfox before he passed. I bought it specifically for California Black Bear when backpacking in the Sierras. The heavyweight of the bullet ensures deep penetration with moderate expansion.

Just today at the range, I shot several rounds into water jugs for some very UNscientific testing. The Wnichester Silvertips blew up two milk jugs and was recovered from the third.

The 155 gr. Hornady factory XTP did abou the same.

The 200gr. However, punched through 5 jugs and shredded every one it penetrated. Nice! Maybe not a round for carrying at a crowded mall, but for SD against large animals, it's all Gumdrops and Lollipops.

Beanie-Bean
12-21-2011, 23:27
Congrats on the new Glock, Rob!

nickE10mm
12-22-2011, 11:41
There's really no need to replace the stock spring. Using a heavier spring may help a little in wear and tear if you're going to be shooting mostly hot ammo, and it will keep the brass closer, but if you're not going to be shooting a lot of hot ammo at the range, I would stick with the stock spring.

I use a 22lb Wolff spring in my G20, and it has been 100% reliable for me, but not everyone reports the same good fortune. The stock spring will always be the most reliable set up, so stick with that and you really can't go wrong.

The heavier springs can also make recoil seem slightly more aggressive compared to the stock spring

Enjoy your new 20SF!

Well said and I agree with these statements.

10 fan
12-22-2011, 12:34
I have bought alot of DT ammo and never thought about anyones velocity not being correct. After reading so much on this site I bought a chronograph.Very disapointed but not surprised. The DT 200gr. WFNDC ((1300) averaged 1145 ,ES 36, SD 12, DT 155gr. barnes xp (1400fps) averaged 1202,ES 42 ,SD 16, DT 180gr. Bonded Defense (1305fps) my carry ammo which is no longer aval. averaged 1173, ES 84, SD25:crying: should add Gen 3 G20 stock except wolff 22lb recoil spring

_The_Shadow
12-22-2011, 16:22
Rbailey13, :welcome: to the forum. Congrats with the new pistol!

The Hornady 200 XTP's are what I carry...

wkoukios
12-22-2011, 17:15
I purchased the same gun for the same reasons as you. I handload WFNGC because of Double Tap Lying. I shot DT 200gr hard cast over a chronograph and was not at all happy. If you choose not to handload look at Buffalo bore Ammo. His 220 gr hardcast may be what your looking for. Otherwise you can make your own very easily. I only load for Power because is hard to find real 10mm. I use a Lee hand press and 10mm dies, a good scale and Bear tooth hardcast bullets with some starline brass and off you go! You will not be disappointed with the lee hand press for small volume work. I can make a box of 50 200gr hardcast that function reliably in my stock pistol in a few hours. You can not buy this power level anywhere. I am pushing the 200gr 1280fps with factory barrel and 1340 wth the 6" barrel. That's 800ftl of energy from the 6" barrel.
I have only invested a small amount in order to load them. The lee hand press is like $60 with a primer and some extras, Also add a good beam scale and dies and a good caliper off amazon and for $325 you have all the hardware to load virgin brass. I spend 17 for brass and 22 for bullets and 4 for primers (the powder is very cheap) and I load 100 rounds for about 45 bucks. Keep in mind Buffallo bore sells them by 20 per box for $30 plus shipping! So for the cost of 200 Buffalo Bore I am loading my own for year after year. It all fits in a Portable tool box from menards that I pull out when I need to load some more. Good luck!

arushus
12-22-2011, 21:00
May I ask what your recipe is for 200gr @ 1280fps?

bac1023
12-22-2011, 21:08
Congrats! :cool:

rbailey13
12-22-2011, 21:19
Thanks again for all the information. The only thing the 20 will be used for is woods carry and a little paper work. I carry a 27 for my ccw. We are heading out west this coming fall and wannted a little more for the larger bears they have. It's only a backup to the 300WSM rifle that I will have on me.
I have been thinking about handloading for a year or two (I love to brew my own beer and thought handloading would be another hobby like that), but just havent done any research pn it yet. If I do start, I would also like the equipment where I could do mu hunting rifles as well. Anyway, I really do appreciate all of your experience that you guys offer, I will be leaving the gun stock, and have changed my mind from the DT ammo. Does anyone have any insight into corbons offerings on thier 10mm ammo? I have used corbons in my 300 whisper encore and they worked out very well (but that was used on a whitetail where there was no threat to me).
I will be looking into the BB and Underwood rounds that almost everyone here seems to like.
Thanks again, Rob

rbailey13
12-22-2011, 21:23
WOW, when I hit reply my spelling goes out the window :wow:. Sorry about the typos guys.

10 fan
12-22-2011, 23:35
I just chroro'd Corbon DPX 155gr. 1200fps. out of G20 at AV 1159fps.,ES 46, SD 13 Thats the closest of all the ammo I have tested. You don't want to know what the Double Taps were, What a disapointment. If I hit the range tomorrow I'll test in my G29.

wkoukios
12-23-2011, 11:37
My recipe is copied from Mcnett on the IMR sticky. However, I use cci 300 not 350. I also have reduced his charge a wee bit but not by much.
But researching the performance of a 40 caliber hard cast at 200 gr, it may not be necessary to push them over 1200. However, I want to be able to confidently shoot bigger then me creatures in the woods so i push the envelope. I worked up in a factory barrel and found no issues with his load. Work up slowly and good luck!