Man is paying $1 parking ticket...58 years late (r) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Man is paying $1 parking ticket...58 years late (r)

I'M Glockamolie
12-21-2011, 07:12
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/111220-TXOld-Ticket_28232124

TKOFaith
12-21-2011, 07:37
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/111220-TXOld-Ticket_28232124

Gotta love this kind of honesty. It's a dying character trait. Then again... character is a dying trait! :crying:

golls17
12-21-2011, 15:20
Gotta love this kind of honesty. It's a dying character trait. Then again... character is a dying trait! :crying:

Hope you don't mind I'm stealing this phrase...

rookie1
12-21-2011, 16:31
I have $30 in parking tickets I don't intend on paying. Sorry but its stupid they make us pay for parking and the folks who worked for parking (works for water now) would target officers cars and write them a ticket to later brag about it. City hall closes at 1700 and I would park in the one hour parking at 1515 with a handfull of 2nd shift officers. My tire would be chalked before 1530.

TKOFaith
12-22-2011, 06:51
Hope you don't mind I'm stealing this phrase...

No problem! I'm honored...:thanks:

CitizenOfDreams
12-22-2011, 07:16
I'm confused - what kept him from paying the ticket for nearly 6 decades? Has he recently discovered religion or something?

Edit: read the article, seems like he didn't learn about the ticket until 1995. That's still 15+ years.

TKOFaith
12-22-2011, 07:17
I'm confused - what kept him from paying the ticket for nearly 6 decades? Has he recently discovered religion or something?

Did you read the article?

x_out86
12-22-2011, 08:53
Incredible. This guy is a role model even to the best of us. Such conscious that he makes sure to pay even the smallest debt, to do the right thing.

Well done sir, you have my respect.

rhikdavis
12-22-2011, 09:24
Incredible. This guy is a role model even to the best of us. Such conscious that he makes sure to pay even the smallest debt, to do the right thing.

Well done sir, you have my respect.

You must be easily impressed.

I hope they slap on a fat interest charge. Maybe a 30 day stint in the city lockup to boot.

x_out86
12-22-2011, 14:18
You must be easily impressed.

I hope they slap on a fat interest charge. Maybe a 30 day stint in the city lockup to boot.
If respecting a man who has such a conscious that the an outstanding debt of $1 is a burden on his mind...then yes I am easily impressed. Call me old fashioned, but I respect a person who could have easily just get out of something, but rather does the right thing because HE knows that he needs to.

jackass.....

Texas357
12-23-2011, 00:42
Is he paying in 1953 dollars?

I got a ticket in New Mexico some years back. I found it in a box of my college papers 3 years later, and tried to pay it. They told me that the ticket wasn't in their system, so they would return any payment I tried to send in. The state trooper who wrote me the ticket had already given me a break, and I never figured out why the ticket wasn't in the system.

larry_minn
12-23-2011, 21:44
I had a neighbor who got jacked up over unpaid parking tickets in another state. On a car that had been STOLEN FROM HIM the week before. (and was never recovered) This was NJ so I asked why he was surprised.
It was almost a decade after he lost his Blazer in NJ. He filed theft report/ insurance payout, Refiled when he moved in NJ a yr later. NOTHING.
So he is in MN for 4 yrs and goes to get his DL renewed. Rejected as he had unpaid tickets in NJ. So he gets contact info (after having to get someone to come get him from DMV as he was warned...)
He actually still has reports/attempts to fax them. "We don't care, pay the money" (short form) He finally hires a lawyer (as he is told if he goes he will be arrested in NJ) Winds up paying fines/late charges in order to get a legal DL in MN.
He actually got the tickets when case closed. His (former) Blazer was ticketed repeatedly in same area for weeks. Then it was finally impounded, sold at impound the same yr. (with active auto theft reports in same city) I suggested he contact the insurance he had on Blazer at time. They "owned" the Blazer at the time. His lawyer (in NJ) said it was not possible.

DaBigBR
12-24-2011, 08:18
Is he paying in 1953 dollars?

I got a ticket in New Mexico some years back. I found it in a box of my college papers 3 years later, and tried to pay it. They told me that the ticket wasn't in their system, so they would return any payment I tried to send in. The state trooper who wrote me the ticket had already given me a break, and I never figured out why the ticket wasn't in the system.

It's not unheard of when a major conversion (especially an initial computerization of records) occurs to just kinda "forget" the stuff that preceded it. A lot of times they'll keep the paper files for a few years and deal with them as needed (rather than go through the process of hand entering) and then just ditch them. In our state the only stuff pre-computer that was ever put in to the computerized courts system was stuff that was open at the time or was going to collections.