127k [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 127k

CAcop
12-21-2011, 09:22
That's how many miles my ride for the day has. So far I had to adjust the mirrors by hand. Get in car. Look. Get out of car. Adjust. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Hooooooooooooopty!

vanilla_gorilla
12-21-2011, 09:33
My ride squeals and moans so bad that the hoodies call me Deebo when I ride through. :rofl:

collim1
12-21-2011, 09:43
Going on 4 years in my ride. I am gonna turn the 100k mark today actually. I expect it turn over some time after lunch. And yes she is a pos. Air doesn't blow from the vents and have to hook up a battery charger to her at night.

Atleast she's mine, some of the guys are driving a different car every day.

Kahr_Glockman
12-21-2011, 09:54
When I worked for the county that I started with, my first ride had 140k when I got it. It had 189k when I got assigned my "new" car. That car went to the fleet and got used as a back up car.

It didnt get retired until it had over 230k on it.

My "new" car that I mentioned? It had 125k on it.

rookie1
12-21-2011, 10:17
I don't feel so bad when ours get yanked out of service at 70K to never be seen again.

collim1
12-21-2011, 10:54
When I worked for the county that I started with, my first ride had 140k when I got it. It had 189k when I got assigned my "new" car. That car went to the fleet and got used as a back up car.

It didnt get retired until it had over 230k on it.

My "new" car that I mentioned? It had 125k on it.

city driving rough on em.

CAcop
12-21-2011, 11:01
city driving rough on em.

It is a rare car that makes it to 80K without at least two trannys.

CAcop
12-21-2011, 11:02
Just found the wood screws holding on part of the door panel.

Kadetklapp
12-21-2011, 11:04
My last high-mileage squad car was an 06 Charger Hemi. Finally the town sold it at sealed bid with 169,000 miles. Wish they kept it. That car just wouldn't quit.

My "take home" ride I drove until leaving another department was a POS Wimpala 9C1 with 96k on it. Right headlight wouldn't work, coolant light always on, leaked oil, had a horrible vibration above 50 mph, and the wiring was a rat's nest.

Cochese
12-21-2011, 11:06
I have 127,000 miles on my POS.

collim1
12-21-2011, 11:11

They just aren't made for city driving, period. The troopers in my state can get 280k out of one, where we get 100k.

Two things that really help is not slamming it into drive when you're still rolling backwards, and not spinning the tires in the grass and then hitting the asphalt stopping the tires quickly.

I have been in mine since brand new and am on the original transmission, but I drive like a grandpa unless absolutely necessary otherwise.

Its my fault, I was offered a new car and held out till next year to hopefully get one of the new Caprices.

Damn Crown Vic's, I hate em.

CAcop
12-21-2011, 13:38
New discovery. It shakes like a jonesin junkie at 60 mph.

Eyescream
12-21-2011, 13:56
New discovery. It shakes like a jonesin junkie at 60 mph.

Tape a methadone tab to each of the shocks.

razdog76
12-21-2011, 14:18
That's how many miles my ride for the day has. So far I had to adjust the mirrors by hand. Get in car. Look. Get out of car. Adjust. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Hooooooooooooopty!

WTF! My CVPI has 128,500, and in the last year am only about 500 shy of 25k miles this year, and mowed down a yearling doe (brush guards are awesome).

I have had two cruisers with more than 160k before being taken out of service. Your's is a baby... course pretty soon your ABS sensor will go out, and maybe time for a new alternator if your lightbar isn't LED...:whistling:

I have noticed that when running priority, if you are in the city, taking it out of overdrive saves a lot of wear and tear on the tranny. Of the five cruisers I have been issued, only one had something go wrong with the tranny, and that car had been issued to two other Deputies before me.

series1811
12-21-2011, 14:41

Hooooooooooooopty!

Mine has 154K. And, actually runs pretty good. It's a Chevy Impala. :supergrin:

CAcop
12-21-2011, 16:18
Mine has 154K. And, actually runs pretty good. It's a Chevy Impala. :supergrin:

We just deadlined one of our Impalas. The other got converted to an unmarked unit for our volunteers. Apparently our grease monkeys got tired of fixing them.

rookie1
12-21-2011, 16:28
I have noticed that when running priority, if you are in the city, taking it out of overdrive saves a lot of wear and tear on the tranny. Of the five cruisers I have been issued, only one had something go wrong with the tranny, and that car had been issued to two other Deputies before me.

Is that why some of the officers that have a few years on drive around with "O/D OFF" light on. Never understood why some people turn it off and some don't. I don't touch things unless im certain I know what they do.

dano1427
12-21-2011, 18:30
Our cars are assigned by patrol sectors, i have had the same cvpi ince it was new...It's 4 years old, 60k, and currently down for tranny number 3....

razdog76
12-21-2011, 21:04
Is that why some of the officers that have a few years on drive around with "O/D OFF" light on. Never understood why some people turn it off and some don't. I don't touch things unless im certain I know what they do.

The "Overdrive" is just to get the best MPG at freeway speeds. When running priority, turning it off just locks out that gear when it isn't necessary.

One of my Sgt's who teaches pursuit termination techniques at OPOTA told me that keeping the OD turned off won't do any damage until you hit a 100, but I don't test it. I treat my cruiser as if it is my personally owned car, and equipment. I even power wash the engine compartment once in a while.

Try it for a shift. You will probably notice how much smoother the motor and shifting between gears sounds, and certainly more responsive. If you work exclusively in town, your ride may never even use the gear until you add a lot of engine RPM's.

JBaird22
12-21-2011, 21:06
OD off when cruising around the city will help keep the transmission from getting so hot. Thus adding a little bit of life.

So here's a funny story: One day, I am driving code 3 when as I am driving I feel a bump. Nothing serious but a bump and look in the rear view mirror to see some water spraying up behind me. I thought how odd because it hasn't rained in some time. Seems I ejected the block warmer from whatever freeze plug it replaces. I didn't even know we had block warmers but apparently some genius at Ford decided plastic was the best material for the job.

That car was one of the fastest I have ever driven. She was named the rocket.

WarCry
12-21-2011, 21:31
I'm not a mechanic, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong:

The O/D or Overdrive is intended for highway uses. It takes a little long to come up to speed but the shifting is smoother, and if you let off the gas, it decelerates/downshifts slower, letting you coast further at a higher rate of speed. In stop/go city situations, it means your going to be stomping the gas and (probably) screaming "Where's all the power???" and it's going to need more brake to stop in short distances.

I shift into overdrive on the on-ramp to the interstate, and I bring it back down to drive when I reach the stop at the end of the off-ramp.

That's what I was taught, anyway.

Agent6-3/8
12-21-2011, 22:39
Turning the OD off for city and winding country roads was a trick I picked up from my FTO. According to him and the shop guys the tranny will last longer if OD is only used when cruising along on highways.

ditchdoc24
12-22-2011, 03:45
Recently changed agencies and went from a small city dept to my local SO. The 08 CVPI I turned in had 88k on it and the 06 CVPI I got from the SO has 140+k on it.

rookie1
12-22-2011, 04:33
Try it for a shift. You will probably notice how much smoother the motor and shifting between gears sounds, and certainly more responsive. If you work exclusively in town, your ride may never even use the gear until you add a lot of engine RPM's.

Maybe tomorrow. The rig I took tonight has 53K on it and you can put it in drive and hit the gas the car makes a thud sound and jolts forward. Same if you hit the gas, it will down shift then slam into gear. We work 95% in city and treat out cars like cop cars.

series1811
12-22-2011, 07:28

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I had a 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0 and one of the other guys had a Mercury Cougar with a supercharger on it (that was a shop queen). We were coming back from a deal really late one night from out in the sticks on a deserted section of interstate and decided to race from 100 MPH on.

I was just about to catch the Couger when all of a sudden the transmission lurched down into second gear and stuck there. I had to drive all the way back at 55. When I turned it in to have it fixed, I gave my supervisor the old, "I don't know what happened, I was just driving along and all of a sudden it broke." :dunno:

razdog76
12-22-2011, 08:07
For all that happens to the CVPI's they are a pretty durable car. We are replacing ours with the new Taurus. I hear they are faster, handle better, and that the rear door open real wide...

They are completely untested though, and I have no idea where I will be able stash all the equipment in my CVPI trunk in to that little car.:upeyes:

I'M Glockamolie
12-22-2011, 13:20
I'm not a mechanic, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong:

The O/D or Overdrive is intended for highway uses. It takes a little long to come up to speed but the shifting is smoother, and if you let off the gas, it decelerates/downshifts slower, letting you coast further at a higher rate of speed. In stop/go city situations, it means your going to be stomping the gas and (probably) screaming "Where's all the power???" and it's going to need more brake to stop in short distances.

I shift into overdrive on the on-ramp to the interstate, and I bring it back down to drive when I reach the stop at the end of the off-ramp.

That's what I was taught, anyway.

OK, throw all of that away, and look at it like a manual transmission. Let's say a regular 5-speed manual. Locking out overdrive on a typical automatic is like having a 5-speed manual, and never using 5th gear. Until the time the trans would be going into Overdrive (which in a Crown Victoria is 4th gear), everything else remains the same. 1st is the same, 2nd is the same, 3rd is the same. The heat and associated problems with leaving a city car in Overdrive is it constantly going in and out of Overdrive, which at light throttle is about 45mph, give or take. Locking it out just makes it where the auto won't take make that final 3rd to 4th gear change. Otherwise, if overdrive is left on, it doesn't affect anything regarding upshifts, downshifts, acceleration, etc. It just means the trans is prepared to go into overdrive when you reach cruising speed.

P.S. - I know where your notions of Overdrive come from. Probably came from an older person, and their info would have been more correct on some earlier (60's/70's) transmissions, which had overdrives that were capable of overdriving every gear. It was like an add-on box to a traditional 3-speed automatic. Totally different animal than today. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(mechanics)

Kadetklapp
12-22-2011, 14:02
OK, throw all of that away, and look at it like a manual transmission. Let's say a regular 5-speed manual. Locking out overdrive on a typical automatic is like having a 5-speed manual, and never using 5th gear. Until the time the trans would be going into Overdrive (which in a Crown Victoria is 4th gear), everything else remains the same. 1st is the same, 2nd is the same, 3rd is the same. The heat and associated problems with leaving a city car in Overdrive is it constantly going in and out of Overdrive, which at light throttle is about 45mph, give or take. Locking it out just makes it where the auto won't take make that final 3rd to 4th gear change. Otherwise, if overdrive is left on, it doesn't affect anything regarding upshifts, downshifts, acceleration, etc. It just means the trans is prepared to go into overdrive when you reach cruising speed.

P.S. - I know where your notions of Overdrive come from. Probably came from an older person, and their info would have been more correct on some earlier (60's/70's) transmissions, which had overdrives that were capable of overdriving every gear. It was like an add-on box to a traditional 3-speed automatic. Totally different animal than today. :)

Indeed. My personally owned 1995 Chevrolet Caprice police car has a factory decal on the cluster that says "NOTICE: USE OVERDRIVE DURING HIGH SPEED PURSUIT"

I think it ought to have said "Hey, use the OD if you're going to be on a sustained high-speed run" but they didn't ask me to make the sticker.

Overdrive is just the "top gear" and not using it in town or on curvy roads means you're saving the transmission an "unneeded shift" which will keep it's temps cool and lend it more life...theoretically.

One of the dumber things I've seen was when the administration of a neighboring agency put out a written memo telling their patrolmen to NOT use Overdrive because it "wastes gas".....uh...no, the exact opposite is true.

Of course your new generation of squad cars use transmissions which are more "semi-automatic" (manumatic) in nature, similar to that of European transmissions. For instance, the Charger uses a transmission made by Mercedes-Benz (well, Daimler) and it's a prime example. The police package even has the "auto-stick" on the column.

WarCry
12-22-2011, 16:41

Well, I guess I should also clarify the gears I'm talking about, too. I drive a 97 Merc Sable. My gears are (from the right) 1 D D(with the white circle) N R P.

So when I'm in town, I use Drive. When I'm on the highway, I use the overdrive.

Now, I'm not sure what other, newer cars have, but this is what I deal with, and the difference between drive and overdrive is FAR more than just the higher gears.

I didn't realize there had been a change in it, this is just my personal experience. Your mileage - literally - may vary.

LilCop2002
12-22-2011, 20:23
For all that happens to the CVPI's they are a pretty durable car. We are replacing ours with the new Taurus. I hear they are faster, handle better, and that the rear door open real wide...

They are completely untested though, and I have no idea where I will be able stash all the equipment in my CVPI trunk in to that little car.:upeyes:

While I do not have all the gear that you must carry, I can speak to this issue. I had an 03 Mercury Marauder and now I have a 10 Taurus SHO. The trunk in the Taurus appears to be wider and deeper although not as tall as that of the Marauder.

According to Edmund's information, the Taurus has 20.1 Cubic feet of storage while the 2010 Vic has 20.6 cubic feet.

Overall, the Taurus is much larger than it appears to be and I would much rather have my Taurus than the Marauder. The usage of the car is very easy for me and I am able to pack enough gear into it to do everything I need professionally (military or civilian LE) and personally even with a wife and kids.

The only down side to the car may be that I am a tiny dude (5'4" and 160lbs) and while I'm armed up to head into work, it takes me a minute to readjust the seat to where I am comfortable. (this may not be a problem for your daily patrol car...)

blastfact
12-22-2011, 22:24
One,,, I wish all public servents had new state of the art cars and trucks. If city driven, replaced every 125k miles. If State Trooper/HWY patrol every 200k miles.

As for the OD thing concerning the trans. Be it American, Asian or UK. All OD is ,,,, is the Torque Converter locking up to drop the rpm's in steady state low load rpm cruse. And it works great! It's not another gear! Hit the throttle and she unlocks and goes like normal. And fluid temps drop when it's locked up in OD. What causes fluid temps to go up in a modern OD, AT tranny is called ghost shifting. Much of the ghost shifting can be controled with the foot on the throttle. Caps being trained observers look at things in HD. I've trained myself to do the same thing when driving. But you would be surprised at how many drivers pulse the throttle and have no idea concerning speed and motion.

And for gods sake never do or have done one of those power flush tranny treatments. They are flat out BS. You may have no choice concerning when it comes to the maint. on your squad car. But never have it done to you personnel cars and trucks. I don't care what make or model it is. They would have to run 50 gallons of fluid through the thing to even come close to there claims. The end result is they break a ton of crud loose. Filter it a tad with filters that over all should have been replaced last year and top it off. The crap they didn't get out just cycles back around in the system until the filter they more than likely didn't change traps it. That filter is almost always near plugged up to start with so then the system goes into bypass or starves out on the suction side of the pump. IE failure and then other parts fail. Equals dead tranny. Just dump old fluid and replace filters.

It really ticks me off to see some of the rattle traps officers have to drive. I wouldn't drive some of those cars for love or money. And I've owned and driven some real junkers in my life. But I have never owned or driven a car as bad as some of the police cars I've seen.

Cops meed badass, reliable and comphy cars. Your office and base of operations should be state of the art. And I for one am willing to help pay for it!

vanilla_gorilla
12-23-2011, 02:56
Smilin' tonight. I got to work a shift in the nice CV. 79K miles and the brakes only squeal until they warm up. :whistling:

DaBigBR
12-23-2011, 15:37
(Insert dozen posts about overdrive here)

I've run my rides with the O/D off pretty much all the time since having a trans go on a car with 27k on the clock a few years back. A lot of CVPIs have a pretty noticeable whine from the trans or rear end in low speed city driving that goes away when O/D is off.

WarCry
12-23-2011, 17:29
(Insert dozen posts about overdrive here)

I've run my rides with the O/D off pretty much all the time since having a trans go on a car with 27k on the clock a few years back. A lot of CVPIs have a pretty noticeable whine from the trans or rear end in low speed city driving that goes away when O/D is off.

I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time! - but I think some folks may be talking about the "passing gear" that you can kick in, as opposed to that spot on the shifter for overdrive.

Just from some of the descriptions, that's what it seems like.

rookie1
12-23-2011, 18:17
One,,, I wish all public servents had new state of the art cars and trucks. If city driven, replaced every 125k miles. If State Trooper/HWY patrol every 200k miles.

uh no. Ours go at 70K and even with those miles the cars are rode hard and hung up wet. Some are simply trashed with even that little amount of miles. I feel for you guys who have to drive them into the triple digits it could happen at my dept. but a vast majority of cars are more than ready when she rolls over 70k.

Fallout
12-24-2011, 10:53
I feel no pity for you. :cool: When I first started my agency didnt know how to properly rotate cars. The brass/cid got the new cars and then they got rotated to patrol. My first Car was a 98 Crown Vic with 330,000 miles on it. The car had the mechanical Odometer and I remember one instance were I was shooting the bull with another local city officer and he saw how many miles I had on my car. He had to call the other guys working his district over to check out a Patrol Car with that many miles on it. The struts and shocks were gone and it literally felt like a boat on the ocean driving it down the highway. If you hit a speed bump it looked like you had hydraulics on it. The thing drank oil and at our substations our mechanics would put cases of oil out. Not only were you supposed to check it at the first of the shift but Halfway through the shift as well.

My car partner wrecked the car about 6 months into me being assigned to it. and I graduated to a car with 220,000 miles. It felt like a brand new car compared to my old one! Needless to say times have changed we rotate them out about every 125k now.

razdog76
12-24-2011, 13:20
I feel no pity for you. :cool: When I first started my agency didnt know how to properly rotate cars. The brass/cid got the new cars and then they got rotated to patrol. My first Car was a 98 Crown Vic with 330,000 miles on it. The car had the mechanical Odometer and I remember one instance were I was shooting the bull with another local city officer and he saw how many miles I had on my car. He had to call the other guys working his district over to check out a Patrol Car with that many miles on it. The struts and shocks were gone and it literally felt like a boat on the ocean driving it down the highway. If you hit a speed bump it looked like you had hydraulics on it. The thing drank oil and at our substations our mechanics would put cases of oil out. Not only were you supposed to check it at the first of the shift but Halfway through the shift as well.

My car partner wrecked the car about 6 months into me being assigned to it. and I graduated to a car with 220,000 miles. It felt like a brand new car compared to my old one! Needless to say times have changed we rotate them out about every 125k now.

Unfit to be on the roadway, let alone potentially in a pursuit.

rookie1
12-26-2011, 08:45
I couldnt imagine going from a car with 220K on it to a car that was freshly changed over with 220 miles on it. I bet its like night and day.

Sharky7
12-26-2011, 09:06
I'm pretty lucky, we switch our cars out around 80k. They get rotated to other parts of the city then. Unfortunately, we all use pool cars. Guys rarely take care of them...it's almost daily you have to clean out crap. Sticky wheels and light control box.

I go pretty long on my personal cars though. I'm at 150k now, planning on going to 300k if it keeps going.

ateamer
12-26-2011, 12:40
We run ours out at 100,000 miles, which is three years on average. For the last couple months, on most shifts I have been driving 2007 Dodge Durangos with mileage in the low 60,000s. Most guys don't like them so they don't get driven as much. I like them a lot better because of the higher seating position and the seat just being far more comfortable than the Crown Vic. The only drawbacks are that the only key lock is on the driver's door and the spotlights have to be mounted on the door itself instead of the A-pillar.

Kadetklapp
12-26-2011, 19:06
We run ours out at 100,000 miles, which is three years on average. For the last couple months, on most shifts I have been driving 2007 Dodge Durangos with mileage in the low 60,000s. Most guys don't like them so they don't get driven as much. I like them a lot better because of the higher seating position and the seat just being far more comfortable than the Crown Vic. The only drawbacks are that the only key lock is on the driver's door and the spotlights have to be mounted on the door itself instead of the A-pillar.

God that drives me nuts. My PT agency has an '04 Dingo that just won't die. It's only got 110k mostly-admin miles on it, but we were short a car for about a year and it got driven a lot by the reserves. Suffice to say it's not that great a ride. The door-mounted spotlight not only blinds you if you turn it on and then try to exit the truck, but it has sprung the door so badly that driving down the road at 50 mph sounds like you are standing on top of an Airbus taxiing for take-off.

However, the 4.7 V8 and 4wd make it a pretty stable vehicle if you have to "run hot". It's not worth a poo in wet snow though....

Fallout
12-27-2011, 10:34
Unfit to be on the roadway, let alone potentially in a pursuit.

I agree but we had to work with what equipment was provided. From when I started to where we have come to now both in Equipment and staffing is almost hard for me to comprehend. When I was a patrol sgt. I remember getting a new boot fresh off his FTO and assigning his car to him. He kinda laughed because it had 60 thousand miles and was two years old. I thought man if he only knew the crap I had to drive.

I couldnt imagine going from a car with 220K on it to a car that was freshly changed over with 220 miles on it. I bet its like night and day.

In 05 when the tides started turning for us we got a fresh round of 2005 CVPI's our next newest patrol cars were the 02's. I literally had to relearn the cars capabilities. From the Rack n Pinion steering in the 05's to the bigger brakes. First night I had it with 30 miles on it. I thought I had torn something up. I had never had a new vehicle (even personal ride) and smelled the brakes after a hot run. I thought my vehicle was going to catch fire. I called my SGT and told him I thought something was wrong with my car and when he came to check it out he just laughed and said it was new.

I'M Glockamolie
12-28-2011, 17:42
As for the OD thing concerning the trans. Be it American, Asian or UK. All OD is ,,,, is the Torque Converter locking up to drop the rpm's in steady state low load rpm cruse. And it works great! It's not another gear!

Wrong. Modern torque converters do have clutches for lockup. The transmissions also have overdrive. They are not one and the same. I'll just use a 4 speed Crown Vic automatic (4R70W) for example. The gear ratios are:

1st: 2.84
2nd: 1.55
3rd: 1.00
4th: 0.70

When in 3rd gear, the transmission is a "pass through", aka 1:1 ratio. Same output speed as input speed. In 4th, it is "overdriven", meaning output speed is greater than input speed. Off the top of my head, I don't recall if a 4R70W or its variants are programmed to lock the torque converter clutch in 3rd if overdrive is locked out. I know some transmissions are. The torque converter clutch can be locked up in any gear at any speed if programmed to do so. I said that leaving a typical transmission in overdrive in stop/go city driving causes frequent shifts in and out of overdrive, creating heat and shortening life. That is a factor, but not the only one. Overdrive bands in the typical transmission are the weak link, and they fail and take out the rest of the trans. Check out the cool schematic in the link below, and see the difference in leaving a car in Overdrive (the circle D in most cars), and Drive, the regular D. Unless the car is actually programmed with a different shift strategy when in D than in OD, up to the point it goes into Overdrive, the transmission doesn't care which position the shifter is in.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission8.htm

Kahr_Glockman
12-31-2011, 10:13
Well, it's funny. I went to work last night and discovered that there was a car reassignment.

I had been in a 2011 CVPI. I was reassigned to the turd of the fleet. 60K. It's been wrecked twice, the front end is shot, and the clear coat has been striped. I spent two hours cleaning the crap out of the car and washing and waxing it.

I take pride in my cars and keep them clean and dont drive the hell out of them and this is how I got repaid. To say the least, I am not real happy. I guess though that the way to get a new car around here is to drive them hard, blow through tires and brakes every 8-10k, and leave spit cups in the car.

I guess I did something to piss someone off. Oh well, at least when someones car goes down, no one will want to use mine. Disgusting animals.....

pgg00
12-31-2011, 17:20
My car just turned over 123k. I put almost 40k on it last year. Still runs great. It is due to be rotated out though. They still haven't made up there minds on what to get to replace the CVPI. We bought a new charger pursuit this summer and it is already having alot of problems. So we will see.

I told the LT that I'll keep my ride.

collim1
12-31-2011, 18:23
Well, it's funny. I went to work last night and discovered that there was a car reassignment.

I had been in a 2011 CVPI. I was reassigned to the turd of the fleet. 60K. It's been wrecked twice, the front end is shot, and the clear coat has been striped. I spent two hours cleaning the crap out of the car and washing and waxing it.

I take pride in my cars and keep them clean and dont drive the hell out of them and this is how I got repaid. To say the least, I am not real happy. I guess though that the way to get a new car around here is to drive them hard, blow through tires and brakes every 8-10k, and leave spit cups in the car.

I guess I did something to piss someone off. Oh well, at least when someones car goes down, no one will want to use mine. Disgusting animals.....

I have gotten in trouble a few times for "forgetting" to put a key back in the box before leaving work for the week.

I do not understand how someone can spend 48+ hrs a week in a vehicle and not keep it clean.

I am lucky now, I have a car partner who keeps the car clean on his side of the week. We live close to each other so he drops it off at the house on his way home each week and I drive him to house (vise versa of course).

lawman800
01-01-2012, 05:32
I don't even want to talk about our cars... for some reason, the regular maintenance schedule always seem to be delayed because someone crashes them. I think our cars get crashed more than they get maintained.

They do all have power seats though, and my buddy from another agency was very surprised at that. He says their units are all manual... strange... thought it was pretty standard to have power seats in these things.

jkm
01-02-2012, 15:16
Man you guys are lucky to have cars. Back when I was a rookie, I had to...

Reyn
01-02-2012, 15:34
I have around 30,000 on my Tahoe.

Sharky7
01-02-2012, 15:39
I don't even want to talk about our cars... for some reason, the regular maintenance schedule always seem to be delayed because someone crashes them. I think our cars get crashed more than they get maintained.

They do all have power seats though, and my buddy from another agency was very surprised at that. He says their units are all manual... strange... thought it was pretty standard to have power seats in these things.

My agency went with a cheap purchase package a few years back. We got a bunch of crown vics that have the power adjustable gas/brake pedals, but don't have the power lumbar. They don't have any lumbar at all!

Really cranks me up, I am stuck with one of the cars without the lumbar. I've just put up with the last few years, I haven't said anything or asked to switch to a newer car. I am hoping to get one of the new Ford Explorer SUV's when they come out this year or next.