2011: a Good Year for 10mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2011: a Good Year for 10mm

ModGlock17
12-21-2011, 13:12
It seems like there has been quite a few 10mm purchases this year, with many 10mm barrels and conversions, reloading equipments and supplies, ammo, etc.

The 10mm must growing in popularity. You can see that in the General Glocking folder as well.

This forum got a lot of new comers and reloaders. You guys are jumping right in, eager to help when someone ask for it. That's really cool, a cool community. Threads like Hunting, wax tube tests, etc. give people a realistic feel for what they can do with 10mm.

One good man left us, but only after he contributed greatly to the growing popularity of the big 10. Others are quickly filling in, driving ammo costs lower. That's a sign of real growth.

Glock, Colt, S&W, etc. will have to up their 10mm production.

Don't you think so?

nickE10mm
12-21-2011, 13:54
It seems like there has been quite a few 10mm purchases this year, with many 10mm barrels and conversions, reloading equipments and supplies, ammo, etc.

The 10mm must growing in popularity. You can see that in the General Glocking folder as well.

This forum got a lot of new comers and reloaders. You guys are jumping right in, eager to help when someone ask for it. That's really cool, a cool community. Threads like Hunting, wax tube tests, etc. give people a realistic feel for what they can do with 10mm.

One good man left us, but only after he contributed greatly to the growing popularity of the big 10. Others are quickly filling in, driving ammo costs lower. That's a sign of real growth.

Glock, Colt, S&W, etc. will have to up their 10mm production.

Don't you think so?

Most DEFINITELY....

There has been lots of new G20L's due to LW finally getting production moving and several new ammo companies (SF, Underwood, etc) filling in the gap between factory and handloaders' work. CZ / Dan Wesson is starting back up production of its Razorback line this year. There is definitely more COMMON knowledge of the 10, even in other forums, as you mentioned. I see nothing but good things coming in 2012.

WOOHOO!

MightyTygart
12-21-2011, 16:20
I almost started a thread of this nature last night. I agree with all that has been said above. If nothing else, the mere number of new posters over the last six months here in the 10 ring is a positive sign. I would like to say thanks to NickE10mm, Meathead, Arushus, and the many others that I cannot remember who have contributed so much to this community of 10mm shooters.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

_The_Shadow
12-21-2011, 16:35
New tune..."10mm shells"

Huntin' in the wood,
with the perfect gun we use.
Ammo from DT and underwood,
Killin' some deer is the news.

Shootin' Pigs and bores,
paper targets are always neat.
Using Buffalo Bore's,
to bring home the meat.

Nuclear Handloads are really great,
when a perp bust thru the door.
Hornady's XTP's stopped the perp to end his fate,
Instant incpacitation, bleedin' on the floor.

10mm shells, 10mm shells,
10mm all the way.
Oh what fun it is to shoot,
and carry 10mm pistols all day.

arushus
12-21-2011, 16:47
Thank you MT, but I gotta say I havent done much compared to shadow, nick, 21carrier, modglock, oceanbob, glock20c10mm, 4949shooter, inspectorjj, etc....

Taterhead
12-21-2011, 17:11
I almost started a thread of this nature last night. I agree with all that has been said above. If nothing else, the mere number of new posters over the last six months here in the 10 ring is a positive sign. I would like to say thanks to NickE10mm, Meathead, Arushus, and the many others that I cannot remember who have contributed so much to this community of 10mm shooters.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I totally agree. There a bunch of great contributers here. Thank you all.

oceanbob
12-21-2011, 17:35
I can say that all the people on the 10 Ring are great.!.I have learned so much in the last 17 months. What an incredible resource!

It is nice when someone goe to all the trouble to share information. :supergrin:

I look forward to the New Year and more 10MM shooting.

Take care
Bob

arushus
12-21-2011, 18:32
About 75-80% of what I know about glocks and 10mm's I learned here..

07hemi4me
12-21-2011, 18:49
For me it has....

While I have owned my Colt Delta Elite since 1988, I have only used it for hunting, and only put a few rounds down range when not hunting.

Purchased My Glock 29SF on Dec 31 last year and will start reloading for it and other calibers this month, My Dillon 550B is suppose to arrive on Thur or Fri. :supergrin:

The G29 is also my EDC, So for me 10mm has taken off this year.

Defiantly looking to put allot more 10mm downrange since I will be reloading.

blastfact
12-21-2011, 19:10
Things will be getting better for the 10mm, you can bet on it. Gone are the days of G20 and 29's wasting away on LGS shelf's. Every Colt DE that's made sells. And all the others seem to be selling and or being ordered from what I've seen. Also I've seen a lot less used 10mm in pawn shops and at the LGS's. You can now always find a selection of 10mm ammo on the LGS shelf here. Wife even saw some Rem retail junk at a China Mart the other day.

10mm is coming out of it's slumber. :)

bdcremer
12-21-2011, 19:23
I think that 10mm is growing in popularity. The current increase in ammo prices across the board has made the caliber wars closer together in price. In my area .45acp and 10mm are within a few dollars of one another for a box of 50 range ammo. Ammo prices do have a decent amount of influence on the caliber people shoot.

Another reason is people are finding out the abilities that a full 10mm load has. With some the smaller ammo companies putting out quality proper 10mm loads, this differentiates the caliber better.

Rock out with your 10mm Glock out.

leeward419
12-21-2011, 19:39
It grew in popularity with me, after reading much positive and knowleadgeable info here I bought one!
PS feels good to throw off the confinement of 9mm, 45acp and get into a caliber that you can use for everything with the right load- for target, SD and Hunting all in one...extremely versatile
Thanks Guys!!

_The_Shadow
12-21-2011, 19:59
With my 10mm as I open fire,
Targets droping as you hose.
Bullets wacking without a flier,
The hole in the paper really shows.

Everybody knows 10mm brass doesn't fall at your toe,
Recoil springs help make the slide right.
Using Swamp Fox ammo makes eyes all aglow,
I'll find the brass before I sleep tonight.

Waiting on more powder that's on its way,
He loads more ammo everyday.
All Ten Ringers are here to spy,
touching them off and letting them fly.

And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
Speer's Hornady' and Nosler's too.
Although they have been shot many times and many ways,
It's 10mm for me and you.

I actually thought this post was lost!

JimIsland
12-21-2011, 20:02
I'm one of the newbs here and thanks to you guys, I have started having an affair w/ my old gen 2 G20! I have purchased 4 springs, a new sst rod tube, 2 barrels and some real ammo since joining the "10 Ring'. Going to treat myself to a G29 this weekend as a merry x-mas to me!

Ya'll have obviously been directly responsible for spreading the 10mm word and creating more enthusiates. Long live the 10mm!

_The_Shadow
12-21-2011, 20:26
With my 10mm I open fire,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Brass not landing at my toes.<o:p></o:p>
Targets going down at my desire,<o:p></o:p>
People at the range watching how it goes.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Everybody knows Swamp Fox made some mighty ammo,<o:p></o:p>
This made the range very loud and bright.<o:p></o:p>
As people used his stuff they were all aglow,<o:p></o:p>
Looking for their brass so they could sleep to night.<o:p></o:p>
With many more bullets on their way,<o:p></o:p>
We reloaded cartridges all night and day.<o:p></o:p>
Many 10 ringers come here to spy,<o:p></o:p>
Want to hear reports of how our 10mm bullets fly.<o:p></o:p>
And so I’m offering this simple phrase,<o:p></o:p>
Speer’s, Hornady’s and Nosler’s too.<o:p></o:p>
Although they have been shot many times and many ways,<o:p></o:p>
Ten millimeter is for me and it can be for you.<o:p></o:p>
The<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#008000--><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Impact--><!--/fonto-->SHADOW<!--fontc--><!--/colorc-->
<!--/fontc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--colorc-->
<!--/coloro--><!--coloro:#000080-->The<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#000080--><!--/sizeo--><!--sizeo:4--><!--/coloro-->"10mm"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec--> <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:#000080-->I'm Packin', Has The Bullets Wackin', Smakin' & The Slide is Rackin' & Jackin'!<!--colorc-->

<!--/colorc--><o:p></o:p>
<!--sizeo:3-->

THE PUNISHER
12-21-2011, 20:53
Long live the MIGHTY 10mm!!!

my daily carry is the G29sf and hunt with the G20 and have 1 G20 OD and G29 OD put up for drooling over when I get lonely...

kindapointless
12-21-2011, 21:31
This place is what convinced me to buy my 20sf and now it has me reloading my first pistol caliber the mighty 10mm. I plan on doing the longslide conversion next month even. I got bit by the bug pretty badly

Beanie-Bean
12-21-2011, 21:49
I really enjoy reading through the posts, and appreciate all the good information that The 10 Ring members have taken time to post and share with everyone out there.

For sure, I believe in the 10mm...

G29 is on the short list, but I'm really waiting for the Gen4 version before making the jump. If Glock doesn't release one in 2012, then it'll be a G29SF to go with the G20SF.

Thanks, guys, for the barrel testing and recommendations, as well as the ammo choice and load preferences you've posted here and on the corresponding 10mm reloading section. Your words of encouragement and support have me checking back here many times a day, and I hope to be able to offer back to the forum some of the things I've learned here, too.

michael e
12-21-2011, 21:55
I wish some people around me would buy a few, and not reload . I have yet to find anyone elses 10mm brass at the range. But as for growing seems like it, both friends I let shoot mine this year now want one. Local stores actually stock ammo for it now (blazer but better than nothing) . Last week at the gun show I saw about 15 G20 29s, when I bought mine had to call and get them to bring them both, and a few people actually asking questions about them not just passing them up.

PrecisionRifleman
12-21-2011, 22:01
Great post, and very true! I myself am new to owning the 10mm, new to handloading the 10mm, and I also bought a LW 6.02" barrel (and intend to buy the longslide after Xmas). On top of that this was also my first year to harvest a whitetail or any medium size game period with a pistol, and I owe that to my G20SF w/ the LW 6.02" barrel. Since becoming a G20SF owner I have been extremely impressed with the 10mm to the point it has easily overtaken the 45acp from being my favorite pistol cartridge. I hope more people continue to take the plunge and see just how superior to the other common auto pistol cartridges the 10mm is.

crnama
12-21-2011, 22:38
It was a great year. Just this year I bought a G20 and G29. I also started reloading for the 10mm too. I can't wait to see what next year brings.

rcd567
12-22-2011, 07:03
Dang Shadow,
Your in a creative mood. Keep'em coming. I fit this group. New to the 10mm. Been a 45 guy all my life, retired LEO so now I can shoot whatever I want. :supergrin:

Bullman
12-22-2011, 08:19
It is good to see a lot of new shooters in 10mm land. I have been with the 10mm since about 1989 or so. Wish I still had that first Delta Elite I bought.

Taterhead
12-22-2011, 09:52
With my 10mm I open fire,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Brass not landing at my toes.<o:p></o:p>
Targets going down at my desire,<o:p></o:p>
People at the range watching how it goes.<o:p></o:p>
Everybody knows Swamp Fox made some mighty ammo,<o:p></o:p>
This made the range very loud and bright.<o:p></o:p>
As people used his stuff they were all aglow,<o:p></o:p>
Looking for their brass so they could sleep to night.<o:p></o:p>
With many more bullets on their way,<o:p></o:p>
We reloaded cartridges all night and day.<o:p></o:p>
Many 10 ringers come here to spy,<o:p></o:p>
Want to hear reports of how our 10mm bullets fly.<o:p></o:p>
And so Iím offering this simple phrase,<o:p></o:p>
Speerís, Hornadyís and Noslerís too.<o:p></o:p>
Although they have been shot many times and many ways,<o:p></o:p>
Ten millimeter is for me and it can be for you.<o:p></o:p>
The<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#008000--><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Impact--><!--/fonto-->SHADOW<!--fontc--><!--/colorc-->
<!--/fontc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--colorc-->
<!--/coloro--><!--coloro:#000080-->The<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#000080--><!--/sizeo--><!--sizeo:4--><!--/coloro-->"10mm"<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec--> <!--/coloro--><!--coloro:#000080-->I'm Packin', Has The Bullets Wackin', Smakin' & The Slide is Rackin' & Jackin'!<!--colorc-->

<!--/colorc--><o:p></o:p>
<!--sizeo:3-->

That just put me in the holiday spirit. Thank you for that little Christmas gift Shadow.

ModGlock17
12-22-2011, 13:54
That just put me in the holiday spirit. Thank you for that little Christmas gift Shadow.

I agree. Shadow is good !

I really enjoyed that. Thanks, Shadow. Very nice.

_The_Shadow
12-22-2011, 17:24
Life was dull, most calibers are one big lull,
Then presto you shoot a skull,
The 10mm has yourself reeling,
My 10mm sights were on target straight as a string,
Ring ding a ding, Ring ding a ding, Ring ding a ding.

My bullets ringing the gong it was easy to tell,
It rang out loud, very much like a bell,
People were looking, and wondering what shows,
When I touch off another then bang the bell goes,

Glad you all like'm!

gatorboy
12-22-2011, 21:46
Very nice Shadow!

I must say of the few different gun sites I frequent, the 10Ring has the most class. Even Liberal Gun-Grabbing Yahoo's could read this thread and smile.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Safe Shooting!

_The_Shadow
12-22-2011, 23:25
The Full Powered 10mm is our gear,
It has a jacketed hollow point nose,
And if you ever saw them,
You would say it shows.

All the other shooters,
used to laugh and call it names,
They never wanted the 10mm,
to play in any shooting games.

Then one foggy New Years Eve,
Many people came to say:
Shadow with your 10mm Blue Dot loads so bright,
Won't you light up the sky tonight!

Then other shooters came to love them,
As they bought 10mm's and shot with glee,
You'll go down in history!

blastfact
12-22-2011, 23:33
Keep it up Shadow. Here Here to the 10mm CHEER! :)

Christopher67
12-23-2011, 04:10
It has a jacketed hollow point nose,
And if you ever saw them,
You would say it shows.

All the other shooters,
used to laugh and call it names,
They never wanted the 10mm,
to play in any shooting games.

Then one foggy New Years Eve,
Many people came to say:
Shadow with your 10mm Blue Dot loads so bright,
Won't you light up the sky tonight!

Then other shooters came to love them,
As they bought 10mm's and shot with glee,
You'll go down in history!

Very nice!

ModGlock17
12-23-2011, 08:55
Life was dull, most calibers are one big lull,
Then presto you shoot a skull,
The 10mm has yourself reeling,
My 10mm sights were on target straight as a string,

My bullets ringing the gong it was easy to tell,
It rang out loud, very much like a bell,
People were looking, and wondering what shows,
When I touch off another then bang the bell goes,

Glad you all like'm!

There's a 10mm anthem somewhere in Shadow's poetry.

_The_Shadow
12-26-2011, 12:52
:music:

I can't say that I'm that adicted to guns,
Damn I dropped my credit card as I saw that one.
It was a Smith & Wesson ten fortysix,
This help me to get a fix!

I called my FFL about the deal,
My wife began to squeal!
No more guns you have enough,
I stood my ground and acted tough!

The lawyer called as to inform me,
Of the divorce papers for me to see!
It was signed, No more guns or we we're done!
I said Ok that I'd be true, but then I then I saw another one!

As this one caught my eye,
I called the wife and said good bye!
I will survive!
I will survive!

:violin:

:2gun: Have a Happy New Year!

flyandscuba
12-26-2011, 19:33
I retired my G29SF to the safe -- and have begun to carry a G39 45 GAP as my everyday carry......................:shocked:

michael e
12-26-2011, 19:51
Was at the store today. Guns & Ammo has a 10mm on the cover. Didn't get to read the article and wasnt about to stand in line for one item. Figure I can find it online anyway. After sitting in the ER for 4 hours I was wishing I had bought the magazine.

firemedic1343
12-27-2011, 10:40
I'm not surprised in the popularity of the 10mm in 2011. I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner!

10mm is the best Glock ever.

oldways
12-27-2011, 10:58
I just sneaked in a 10 at the end of 2011:cool:

Kegs
12-27-2011, 17:10
It's a great chambering that offers the most out of a compact handgun.

Nothing else offered can touch the speed and/or power in this class.

I bought it because it is a one caliber answer to the FAQs in shooting, hunting, and defense scenarios...

It won't make up for a long gun, but for short distances, it's awesome!

Its a win!

Nice job with the words, Shadow. :wavey:

agtman
01-02-2012, 07:10
Well, it's probably the triumph of "hope over experience," ... :shocked:

... but still I was hoping that in 2012 we might see Vltor release at least one version of the upgraded and improved and revamped Bren Ten.

Guess we can always hope ... :whistling:

Happy New Year!

:cool:

4949shooter
01-02-2012, 08:25
Too bad this wasn't a 2010 thread. :cool:

ModGlock17
01-02-2012, 11:27
Just got back from a long vacation and a Caribbean cruise. Glad everyone is doing well. Wish I had all my toys on the aft of the ship. ;). That would have made this cruise perfect !

Happy New Year, and may it be a prosperous one for all of you!

Outdoor Hub mobile.

alwaysshootin
01-02-2012, 12:08
Since I'm hearing here, that others, are finding 10MM ammo offerings on shelves, one of my New Years Resolutions, is, If I see a box of 10MM ammo, on a retail shelf, I'm going to buy it! If everyone does that, it will kick start the manufactures to start making more, and maybe, just maybe, start manufacturing the ammo we want. Give us some variety, and hopefully at a price where it should be. Somewhere between 40 S&W, and .45ACP in price!:wavey:

blastfact
01-02-2012, 13:10
Wife shot my G20 on New Years Eve. And she will be shooting a G29 this week and maybe a Night Guard in 10mm.

I think she is a convert already. :)

ModGlock17
01-02-2012, 17:56
Since I'm hearing here, that others, are finding 10MM ammo offerings on shelves, one of my New Years Resolutions, is, If I see a box of 10MM ammo, on a retail shelf, I'm going to buy it! If everyone does that, it will kick start the manufactures to start making more, and maybe, just maybe, start manufacturing the ammo we want. Give us some variety, and hopefully at a price where it should be. Somewhere between 40 S&W, and .45ACP in price!:wavey:

I'd second that. Volume means low prices. For example, I was surprised to find that an AK47 round is cheaper than a 40sw round, nearer to a 9mm round. We need to drive 10mm volume, or for reloaders, drive down component volume.

ModGlock17
01-02-2012, 18:01
Wife shot my G20 on New Years Eve. And she will be shooting a G29 this week and maybe a Night Guard in 10mm.

I think she is a convert already. :)

All that misinformation about the 10mm kick is really muted once you experience it. I always point out to my friends that YouTube video about that slender Mom shooting a G29.

alwaysshootin
01-02-2012, 18:21
I'd second that. Volume means low prices. For example, I was surprised to find that an AK47 round is cheaper than a 40sw round, nearer to a 9mm round. We need to drive 10mm volume, or for reloaders, drive down component volume.

I know it's because of the volume, or the lack there of, of why 10MM is so pricey. See it too, in the .380 round! But, dog on it, would think the price could come down just slightly higher than 40, and should be a little less than 45. Just imagine how many would get into a 10, if the ammo was a little more reasonable. When I got my first 20, and first heard of Double Tap, they had a sale going for I believe $25-$30 for a box of 50. Now it's just shy of $50 :wow:, with prices like that, thank goodness I reload!

SolidBrass
01-02-2012, 20:47
When I got my first 20, and first heard of Double Tap, they had a sale going for I believe $25-$30 for a box of 50. Now it's just shy of $50 , with prices like that, thank goodness I reload!

When I first bought a 20 I heard of double tap then saw the price. So I bought a better cheaper ammo, Underwood. Half the price of DT with more power. DT needs to pull it's head out from somewhere.

alwaysshootin
01-02-2012, 21:18
When I first bought a 20 I heard of double tap then saw the price. So I bought a better cheaper ammo, Underwood. Half the price of DT with more power. DT needs to pull it's head out from somewhere.

FWIW, I will stick with rolling my own. Even buying new brass, which, I may never have to do, can load 50 rounds for around $25. That's using new Starline brass, Win primers, Longshot, and 200 gr XTP's launched at 1250 fps. Mind you, I'm not trying to rub it in, just stating the benefit of reloading for the 10.

_The_Shadow
01-02-2012, 21:27
I'll say this, another year with the 10mm has got to be a a great year!

Lee-online
01-02-2012, 21:53
I am new to the 10mm but will be adding to the demand. Locally I found it at Cabelas, where I got some remington, but Gander and Bass pro had some but not the selection like Cabelas.
Tomorrow I'll place an order with Underwood.

rcd567
01-02-2012, 23:18
FWIW, I will stick with rolling my own. Even buying new brass, which, I may never have to do, can load 50 rounds for around $25. That's using new Starline brass, Win primers, Longshot, and 200 gr XTP's launched at 1250 fps. Mind you, I'm not trying to rub it in, just stating the benefit of reloading for the 10.

Not rubbing it in at all. If your going to count new brass, heck just buy Underwood ammo https://www.underwoodammo.com/shop/index.cfm?carttoken=26S6AC6010212090735&action=ViewDetails&ItemID=29&Category=19

That link will take you to their 165 gr JHP load that's about fity cents a round...and they load it. Comes in a new box too.:whistling:

I know, I know...if I reload my own brass (and I do) I can get them down to about $15 a hundred. That's $7.50 for a box of 50.

Course that loading them for targets and not hunting. Check these bullets out. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000341&dir=278|281|1082|1144

alwaysshootin
01-03-2012, 00:40
Not rubbing it in at all. If your going to count new brass, heck just buy Underwood ammo https://www.underwoodammo.com/shop/index.cfm?carttoken=26S6AC6010212090735&action=ViewDetails&ItemID=29&Category=19

That link will take you to their 165 gr JHP load that's about fity cents a round...and they load it. Comes in a new box too.:whistling:

I know, I know...if I reload my own brass (and I do) I can get them down to about $15 a hundred. That's $7.50 for a box of 50.

Course that loading them for targets and not hunting. Check these bullets out. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000341&dir=278|281|1082|1144

Thanks for the link! I googled underwood, and went to another forum, that had a link. Took a quick look, and what I saw, price wise, was, in the mid $30's. That's why I mentioned rolling my own. For under $26 for a box of 50, you can bet I'm going to give them a try. Of course there is the shipping involved, and that is usually kind of steep! Thanks again, I will look into underwood!

Well I took a look, $11.96 for shipping one box, and just shy of $13 for two!

alwaysshootin
01-03-2012, 00:50
Up until now, all I've loaded is 200 grain XTP's, and 200 grain hard cast from a local bullet maker. I have an order in for 2K 180 grain that I'm going to give a try in both 40 and 10. FWIW, When I pick them up, my bill will be $110!:cool:

Again, not rubbing it in!:whistling:

ModGlock17
01-03-2012, 09:54
Up until now, all I've loaded is 200 grain XTP's, and 200 grain hard cast from a local bullet maker. I have an order in for 2K 180 grain that I'm going to give a try in both 40 and 10. FWIW, When I pick them up, my bill will be $110!:cool:

Again, not rubbing it in!:whistling:

You help driving down ammo component costs, which leads to lower ammo costs. Win-win for all.

The mfgrs will face the same challenge as they saw with other calibers, ex. 9mm, on how to bring ammo costs below what reloading is worthwhile to do while providing variety.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine