Why politicians should not be chiefs of police [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why politicians should not be chiefs of police

Morris
12-21-2011, 12:58
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2011/12/20/cbs-guest-insanity-lack-gun-control-leads-police-deaths

I smell the next AG when Holder gets the boot, err, "retires."

fastbolt
12-21-2011, 13:17
I'm just glad the numbers haven't reached where they were in the late 70's, which if I remember correctly, were the highest since records have been kept.

scottydl
12-22-2011, 08:42
I'm just glad the numbers haven't reached where they were in the late 70's, which if I remember correctly, were the highest since records have been kept.

That was also before widely-used Kevlar (or whatever it was back then) and enhanced officer safety focus we have now. I wonder if "shooting at the police" is getting to be closer to those numbers, even though (thankfully) not as many officers are being killed as a result.

Dragoon44
12-22-2011, 08:55

Some of these false 911 ambushes are reminiscent of the assassinations of police officers that took place in the early 70's. Most here are probably to young to remember the wave of assassinations that took place in NY with JONES AND PIAGENTINI, and Foster and Laurie.

CAcop
12-22-2011, 09:36
That was also before widely-used Kevlar (or whatever it was back then) and enhanced officer safety focus we have now. I wonder if "shooting at the police" is getting to be closer to those numbers, even though (thankfully) not as many officers are being killed as a result.

Kevlar was it back then too. About the only new fiber that work is Twaron. Zylon was a disaster. Because of Zylon I am on 5th vest in 14 years, soon to get my 6th.

CAcop
12-22-2011, 09:38
Some of these false 911 ambushes are reminiscent of the assassinations of police officers that took place in the early 70's. Most here are probably to young to remember the wave of assassinations that took place in NY with JONES AND PIAGENTINI, and Foster and Laurie.

In CA POST mandates 11 "scenarios" in every academy. Doesn't matter if you are in a CHP, State Parks, or LAPD academy there are 11 scenarios you must be tested on. Ambush is one of them.

CAcop
12-22-2011, 09:40
Bratton is a prime example of why cops should hang it up after 30 years. I might be willing to grant an exemption for those wise enough to read the writing on the wall. Even then it would only be a 5 year exemption. I think people in those top positions love the power and they have spent most of their time hanging out with politicians instead of cops on the street. They loose focus about what the job is really about and everything it takes to get it done and still go home in one piece.

Cochese
12-22-2011, 10:42
I hope he enjoys merry U.K., where they will drink his Kool-Aid and a gun ban has shown to eliminate violent crime altogether. :rofl:

janice6
12-22-2011, 10:45
Because he doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground about police work.

Ignorant people make it much more dangerous.

fastbolt
12-22-2011, 11:47

Yep, you're probably right on the money. ;)

The late 60's & early 70's were interesting times to be a teenager and a young adult. The 70's saw some violence against LE of a little bit different nature, and I think it might surprise some of the younger folks in LE nowadays to learn about it.

Ambushes and sniping at cops were things to beware of, even when I started working at the beginning of the 80's. Officer safety was a concern back then due to the peaked violence that had happened in the 70's, with many of the hard-learned lessons still fresh in the minds of the senior guys, and it was drilled into us pretty well.

cowboywannabe
12-22-2011, 12:25
id guess that 90% of the current police chiefs are politicians and "police officers" in name only.

remember, there is a great deal of difference between a police officer and a cop.