What size 1911 for CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What size 1911 for CCW

glock30user
12-21-2011, 14:14
I am looking at picking up a 1911 for concealed carry. I have been looking at Kimber’s TLE II either Custom (full size grip and 5” barrel), Pro (full size grip and 4” barrel), or Ultra (compact grip and 3” barrel). I am 5’10” about 180 lbs. I have carried a G30 @ 7-8 o’clock (I am a lefty) with no problems, but am looking to start carrying on the hip. What size 1911 do you use for CC. What do you recommend for me? What kind of 1911 CC rig do you have? Pics?

B.Reid
12-21-2011, 14:46
I have carried a full size, commander and an Officers. I still have the 5 inchers, 5 of them. If you have the full size grip you might as well have 5 inches of barrel. Take out a ruler and decide if an inch is going to make any difference in making it easier to carry.

Carrots
12-21-2011, 14:50
Cco's

Vanman2004b
12-21-2011, 14:58
DW CCO. Works for me.

Screaming .357G
12-21-2011, 15:04
I always carry a full sized 1911. If you want it smaller get one with a bobbed tail and keep the 5 inch barrel.

Three-Five-Seven
12-21-2011, 15:13
Any 1911 packs well. The problem is not with size, but with weight. Even an Officer's Model gets heavy in short order.

So.... Get a full size as there are many games that require that configuration. But, continue to carry a glock.

fnfalman
12-21-2011, 15:27
1" or 1.75" may not mean much for a tallish person, but it means a lot to a short/petite person.

A 5ft10, 180-lbs person can pretty carry whatever he wants with relative comfort. I said relative comfort because the comfortability is based on holster choice, clothing choice, etc., as well.

Rodman24
12-21-2011, 15:27
I have Kimber Tac Ultra II. I like it, but I wish I had gone for a 4" or 5".

Giggity
12-21-2011, 15:34
I vote for a CCO configuration. Officers frame with Commander slide.

SpringerTGO
12-21-2011, 16:07
If you can, try the various size 1911's on. Like others have posted, there isn't much a difference as far as carrying goes. For me, there is a difference in how they shoot. There also can be differences in how they work. My Kimber Ultra was not reliable and my Nighthawk T3 (officers size) has had more problems than any $3K 1911 should have. I haven't had any problems with any of the 5" 1911's I've owned. Also, I'm sure it's just my (lack of) ability, but I shoot a 5" 1911 much better than the smaller ones.

fnfalman
12-21-2011, 16:17
If you can, try the various size 1911's on. Like others have posted, there isn't much a difference as far as carrying goes. For me, there is a difference in how they shoot. There also can be differences in how they work. My Kimber Ultra was not reliable and my Nighthawk T3 (officers size) has had more problems than any $3K 1911 should have. I haven't had any problems with any of the 5" 1911's I've owned. Also, I'm sure it's just my (lack of) ability, but I shoot a 5" 1911 much better than the smaller ones.

Yep. Have to balance portability/concealability against shootability and reliability. That's a personal call, of course.

As for me, I prefer full size grip over Officer's size grip. I have more confidence in hitting targets under stress with a full size grip than a shortened grip. So, my preference would be the Commander style. 4.25" barrel and full length grip.

glock30user
12-21-2011, 16:19
Thanks, keep the input comin'

up1911fan
12-21-2011, 17:12
Cco's
This.

faawrenchbndr
12-21-2011, 17:22
Commander or a CCO would be ideal.
My "dream carry 1911" is currently patiently sitting in Chuck Rogers' vault.
It's getting a bit of a make over.

jrs93accord
12-21-2011, 17:42
I carry a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II in A Galco holster. I have been carrying this setup for almost seven years.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2011/001-23.jpg

BuckyP
12-21-2011, 18:20
I prefer commander length for CCW, no more / no less. I just picked up a new to me IWB holster on fleabay to try out, that I think will work out really well. Holster is for a 5" and it really needs to be 1/2" shorter. It just kisses the chair when sit, and it's just pokes a tiny bit at the bottom of the rear pocket. So that extra 1/2" is making a difference for me. I expect getting the proper commander holster of the same make and type will be the cats meow for me. Of course, it's leather so probably a 4-6 month wait. :sigh:

barth
12-21-2011, 18:50
I've heard of folks having issues with 3" 45s.
Might want to stay a 4 or 5 inch barrel...

I'm just saying

Lew-G17
12-21-2011, 19:16
Kimber Custom CDP Compact. It is Kimber's version of the CCO

Nakanokalronin
12-21-2011, 19:28
I carry either an Officer/RIA Compact or Defender/Ultra Carry size 1911. The shorter grip prevents printing and the shorter barrel dosn't bang the seat of whatever chair I sit on.

I've owned 2 Ultra Carry's (1 now) and a RIA Compact and I've never had an issue with any 230gr. ammo. Go to a lighter round thinking it's needed for the shorter barrel and the chance of a malfunction goes up. Not talking about anyone that uses lighter rounds but I use 230gr. in every 1911 I own and the only one I ever had problems with was a PT1911. That particular model fed 0% HP ammo and only 50% of ball no matter what mag I used or how much I tweaked the extractor so it was defiantly the gun.

Shorter 1911s still have the curse that started when gunsmiths where chopping down full size 1911s years ago. Today's small 1911s are made to be small from the start. This dosn't mean nobody will have a problem with one which is the same case for any size pistol from any manufacture in any configuration.

SpringerTGO
12-21-2011, 19:42
I carry either an Officer/RIA Compact or Defender/Ultra Carry size 1911. The shorter grip prevents printing and the shorter barrel dosn't bang the seat of whatever chair I sit on.

I've owned 2 Ultra Carry's (1 now) and a RIA Compact and I've never had an issue with any 230gr. ammo. Go to a lighter round thinking it's needed for the shorter barrel and the chance of a malfunction goes up. Not talking about anyone that uses lighter rounds but I use 230gr. in every 1911 I own and the only one I ever had problems with was a PT1911. That particular model fed 0% HP ammo and only 50% of ball no matter what mag I used or how much I tweaked the extractor so it was defiantly the gun.

Shorter 1911s still have the curse that started when gunsmiths where chopping down full size 1911s years ago. Today's small 1911s are made to be small from the start. This dosn't mean nobody will have a problem with one which is the same case for any size pistol from any manufacture in any configuration.

I've only had one Ultra Carry, and it wasn't reliable. I sent it back to Kimber, and it still wasn't reliable. I've heard of lots of people who have good ones, but I wouldn't take the chance again. Fooled me once...... just like Nighthawk.
As to light loads, my favorite target load is 4.9gr of 231 and a 200gr SWC. I like running light loads in my 1911's for target shooting, and only use heavier loads for carry. A decent 1911 should be able to work well with a variety of loads.

mrsurfboard
12-21-2011, 20:10
Commander size slide, compact aluminum frame is ideal for a CCW.

fnfalman
12-21-2011, 20:26
I expect getting the proper commander holster of the same make and type will be the cats meow for me. Of course, it's leather so probably a 4-6 month wait. :sigh:

Milt Sparks?

I cruised their Facebook site and just happened to score a cordovan IBAK in Commander length with 1.5" belt slot that they had laying around. Apparently there's a handful of holsters that they made but never shipped for whatever reasons and they're listing these holsters on Facebook.

Scattergun1187
12-21-2011, 20:32
I carry a Springfield Armory Micro Compact in OD with NS and other mods on my ankle all the time.
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu278/4layercake/Picture369-1.jpg?t=1324524711

BuckyP
12-21-2011, 21:19
Milt Sparks?

I cruised their Facebook site and just happened to score a cordovan IBAK in Commander length with 1.5" belt slot that they had laying around. Apparently there's a handful of holsters that they made but never shipped for whatever reasons and they're listing these holsters on Facebook.

No, Kramer #3. Deeper and more rake than a Sparks.

Two Guns
12-21-2011, 21:55
My carry 1911 has a 3.5 inch barrel with a double stack officers size frame.It is a Para P12-45 Limited in Stainless Steel.

PlasticGuy
12-22-2011, 01:41
I carry a CCO sized 1911 most of the summer, and a full sized 1911 in the fall and winter.

smoothisfastmanila
12-22-2011, 03:33
My recom -
1. for AIWB or ankle carry:
> commander size or smaller - a 5in barrel tends to poke you down there when you take a seat.
2. for strong-side, SOB, MOB, Rad X-draw, shoulder carry:
> commander size or larger (like full-sized or 6in)
3. when in summer:
> remember that thinner is better - you can't layer clothing much when the heat is 32deg or more. less bulk = less print = less IDed by others you're packing
4. if you can afford:
> go for aluminum frame as the lighter weight affords you portability for your carry weapon. take note you're packing spare mags, EDC knife & tac-light and probably a BUG as well. more "firepower" means more weight.

stay safe.
________
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.
~Lao Tzu
H&K forum member no. 386

glock30user
12-22-2011, 07:04
My recom -
1. for AIWB or ankle carry:
> commander size or smaller - a 5in barrel tends to poke you down there when you take a seat.
2. for strong-side, SOB, MOB, Rad X-draw, shoulder carry:
> commander size or larger (like full-sized or 6in)
3. when in summer:
> remember that thinner is better - you can't layer clothing much when the heat is 32deg or more. less bulk = less print = less IDed by others you're packing
4. if you can afford:
> go for aluminum frame as the lighter weight affords you portability for your carry weapon. take note you're packing spare mags, EDC knife & tac-light and probably a BUG as well. more "firepower" means more weight.

stay safe.
________
~Lao Tzu
H&K forum member no. 386

Great stuff to think about! Thanks!

HexHead
12-22-2011, 07:25
I've heard of folks having issues with 3" 45s.
Might want to stay a 4 or 5 inch barrel...

I'm just saying

Not with the Colt Series-90s. That would be the Defender or New Agent. I scoured the Internet for complaints before I bought my New Agent, and found two posts complaining about a problem, and one was because he put the recoil spring in backwards. Mine was as reliable as a Glock, eating any ammo I fed it like candy. And I know several other people that had New Agents and all of their experiences with it mirrored mine.

Colt seems to be the only company that's figured out how to make a 3" 1911 reliable. It was my default EDC for about two years, carried in a Milt Spaks VM-2.

Nakanokalronin
12-22-2011, 07:53
I've only had one Ultra Carry, and it wasn't reliable. I sent it back to Kimber, and it still wasn't reliable. I've heard of lots of people who have good ones, but I wouldn't take the chance again. Fooled me once...... just like Nighthawk.
As to light loads, my favorite target load is 4.9gr of 231 and a 200gr SWC. I like running light loads in my 1911's for target shooting, and only use heavier loads for carry. A decent 1911 should be able to work well with a variety of loads.

And that's why I said that some will have problems like any other gun out there. The thing is, most 1911s (even the small ones) in 45acp are set up and tested with 230gr. ammo from the factory. Yes, most should run with any weight ammo and the type with feed ramps on the barrels should work even better with most loadings. Recoil spring weights can be changed to further enhance reliability with different loadings as well.

I've read many people going to lighter loads for the smaller 1911s for defense because they think the 45acp round needs more velocity to expand reliably from a short barrel, but it's just not the case as long as premium ammo is selected.

I tried to state that I wasn't talking about anyone specific using lighter rounds so nobody was taking it personally. I've tried the lighter rounds and found them shooting far off from where the factory sights are set from the Government down to the Defender sized 1911s.

okie
12-22-2011, 07:59
I CCW a full size 1911:thumbsup:

dakrat
12-22-2011, 08:26
I CCW a full size 1911 as well. sometimes CCO when wearing smaller size shirts :)

jstephens202
12-22-2011, 09:59
I carry a full size 1911 every day, for the most part. I use a full size as a duty weapon, so it makes sense to use one off-duty concealed as well. Biggest thing is to remember to dress around the gun and use a proper belt. I have had great success with the Blade-Tech "Nano" holster(IWB) covered by a jacket or tails out shirt. Belts I use are from Wilsons and Akers. If I can't use a 1911 for whatever reason, then I use my Glock 36, again in an IWB holster.:odie:

SpringerTGO
12-22-2011, 10:22
And that's why I said that some will have problems like any other gun out there. The thing is, most 1911s (even the small ones) in 45acp are set up and tested with 230gr. ammo from the factory. Yes, most should run with any weight ammo and the type with feed ramps on the barrels should work even better with most loadings. Recoil spring weights can be changed to further enhance reliability with different loadings as well.

I've read many people going to lighter loads for the smaller 1911s for defense because they think the 45acp round needs more velocity to expand reliably from a short barrel, but it's just not the case as long as premium ammo is selected.

I tried to state that I wasn't talking about anyone specific using lighter rounds so nobody was taking it personally. I've tried the lighter rounds and found them shooting far off from where the factory sights are set from the Government down to the Defender sized 1911s.

My post wasn't meant to get you bent out of shape.
But the truth is, if you go to any Kimber forum, you will most likely read more complaints about the Ultra models than any other. No doubt, lots of them work. But lots of them don't work too. Mine didn't, and Kimber didn't fix it.
As far as 230gr ammo goes. Of course, a 1911 should work reliably with that load. That's like saying a 9mm should work with 115gr fmj. Those are basic standard military loads. A 1911 that can't feed a 230gr fmj needs repair.
That said, I would hope a decent 1911 would feed a variety of factory loads besides 230gr fmj. I carry Critical Defense rounds in mine. Those are 185gr. I also shoot a variety of hollow points. And like I said, my favorite target loads are very light, SWC's. I use industry standard (16lb) springs in my 5" 1911 for all the loads I shoot. As long as I do my part at the reloading bench, I expect the loads to feed and the 1911 to function.

sna0403
12-22-2011, 11:08
It's not a Kimber, Colt, Springer or high$ 1911, but my 4" (MS) RIA .45 carries very easy and concealed OWB off duty. I like the full size grip and 8+1 of 230 gr.

FLSlim
12-22-2011, 12:04
I carry a steel commander-size (STI Ranger-great pistol) or a Colt CCO (Commander side and LW Officer frame). The CCO is lightest and easiest to carry, but either would be a good choice IMO. Both have been flawless. I mainly use a Nick Mathews IWB.

ajgranda
12-22-2011, 15:04
If you care at all about reliability, especially since we are talking about Kimbers, I would stick with the fullsize 5" government models. I know some have had good luck with there Pros and Ultra's, but the odds are not in your favor. I wouldn't have any concerns if you were talking about some of the semi custom 1911s though. Also, if I really wanted to go the Kimber route I would look at the Super Carry HD 5" which a 70 series, all steel and a nice round butt. :-)

glock30user
12-22-2011, 15:42
If you care at all about reliability, especially since we are talking about Kimbers, I would stick with the fullsize 5" government models. I know some have had good luck with there Pros and Ultra's, but the odds are not in your favor. I wouldn't have any concerns if you were talking about some of the semi custom 1911s though. Also, if I really wanted to go the Kimber route I would look at the Super Carry HD 5" which a 70 series, all steel and a nice round butt. :-)

Thanks for the advice. I’ll take a look at that.

SpringerTGO
12-22-2011, 16:24
I would also go onto the various makers forums, and read about service and warranty, because even the best 1911's can have problems. Different forums tend to bash people who have had legitimate issues, so I suggest you take the issues seriously, and see if several people have had the same kinds of issues, with either reliability or service turn around.

I had to send a Springfield in twice, and their turn around time and customer service was outstanding.

Glocker1984
12-22-2011, 23:00
IMO,

Full-Size all the way. They are (Traditionally) the most reliable out of the three, longer sight-radius, and can easily be concealed with the right dress, holster, and belt combination. :cool:

Nakanokalronin
12-23-2011, 03:15
My post wasn't meant to get you bent out of shape.
But the truth is, if you go to any Kimber forum, you will most likely read more complaints about the Ultra models than any other. No doubt, lots of them work. But lots of them don't work too. Mine didn't, and Kimber didn't fix it.
As far as 230gr ammo goes. Of course, a 1911 should work reliably with that load. That's like saying a 9mm should work with 115gr fmj. Those are basic standard military loads. A 1911 that can't feed a 230gr fmj needs repair.
That said, I would hope a decent 1911 would feed a variety of factory loads besides 230gr fmj. I carry Critical Defense rounds in mine. Those are 185gr. I also shoot a variety of hollow points. And like I said, my favorite target loads are very light, SWC's. I use industry standard (16lb) springs in my 5" 1911 for all the loads I shoot. As long as I do my part at the reloading bench, I expect the loads to feed and the 1911 to function.

My post wasn't meant to seem like I was bent out of shape. :cool: Just replyin'

glockarmor
12-23-2011, 08:18
My personal preference is an Officers model frame with a 4/ 4.25" barrel.. Kimber Compact or Nighthawk T3 would be two examples. Desantis Intruder IWB holster suits me the best for concealed carry.

69 Mach One
12-23-2011, 11:43
My edc carry is a Kimber Pro CDP II in a Tucker "The Answer" IWB @ 4:00. No problems ever & that is going back 7 years. Occasionally in summer I will carry The Ultra CDP II agaain no issues. I have let people shoot both guns & they have had "issues" with the Ultra more than likely because of limp wristing. If open carry I would have no problem with carrying my Kimber Team Match or Springfield NM Loaded.

glock2740
12-23-2011, 12:56
I like a bobtailed Commander, CCO or an Officer sized 1911 for CC. I have CC'd a fullsize 1911, but prefer the other two sizes and prefer the aluminum framed 1911's over steel for CC. As for a holster, I like the Crossbreed Supertuck alot.

jjboogie
12-23-2011, 20:51
I am looking at picking up a 1911 for concealed carry. I have been looking at Kimber’s TLE II either Custom (full size grip and 5” barrel), Pro (full size grip and 4” barrel), or Ultra (compact grip and 3” barrel). I am 5’10” about 180 lbs. I have carried a G30 @ 7-8 o’clock (I am a lefty) with no problems, but am looking to start carrying on the hip. What size 1911 do you use for CC. What do you recommend for me? What kind of 1911 CC rig do you have? Pics?

I carried a full size Springfield Loaded for quite a while. The sucker was heavy! And if you were out and about and had to pee you had to make sure you went into a stall because your pants would practically fall down! LOL

Any ways after I got into shooting IDPA I realized that I was much more accurate with my Glock 19 than my 1911. My conscious told me to not carry the 1911 any longer only because I didn't want that extra chance of hitting an innocent bystander if I had to engage someone.

I felt more confident in my accuracy with the 9mm and that even after practicing with the 1911 for a long time.

So I'd actually make sure you are accurate with that 1911 before you really decide to buy it.

That being said I really want another 1911 someday soon and want to start practicing again. Next time with a slightly shorter barrel.

Tank44
12-23-2011, 21:58
I carry a full size 1911 in a Galco Royal Deluxe. Wouldn't consider carrying anything else.

redbrd
12-23-2011, 22:22
I love the 1911 but I tried a Kimber Ultra 3" it was totally unreliable. FTF at least one or two rounds a mag. If you are going to go with a 1911 stick to the five inch. Maybe I got a lemon but I am off the 1911 compacts.

Rodman24
12-23-2011, 23:16
I love the 1911 but I tried a Kimber Ultra 3" it was totally unreliable. FTF at least one or two rounds a mag. If you are going to go with a 1911 stick to the five inch. Maybe I got a lemon but I am off the 1911 compacts.

I've read similar reports about the reliability of the Ultra. I suppose I'm fortunate in that mine has been flawless. I've put well over a thousand rounds through it and I shoot it very well. I just don't see any meaningful advantages to the size. I don't plan to part with it, but my next 1911 will not be a compact.

fasteddie565
12-24-2011, 07:35
I always carry a full sized 1911. If you want it smaller get one with a bobbed tail and keep the 5 inch barrel.

I think CCW's and holsters are like shoes and socks. What works for one does not work for all. I bought the entire line (Ultra, Pro and Custom) of Kimber Super Carry pistols. I eventually settled on keeping the Ultra and pro for EDC. I traded the Custom (5") for a Pro TLE II RL.

This gun works for me as I have a short torso and a 5" runs 1/2 way down my leg in an IWB holster, which is where I prefer to carry my 1911's.

Ultimately, not knowing your physical stature and method of carry, you will have to accumulate the safe full of pistols and drawer full of holsters that many of us already have before you discover the true fit.

fasteddie565
12-24-2011, 07:38
4. if you can afford:

stay safe.
________
~Lao Tzu
H&K forum member no. 386

Smooth has a great point here. That steel officers model you put on in the AM feels like a pair of 5" ers at around 2130 hrs.

fasteddie565
12-24-2011, 07:57

Ajgranda,

This is one of the most accurate postings bout Kimbers I have read. I too carry Kimbers. I sold all of my Series II kimbers and bought all three Super Carry models (Non HD Ultra, Pro and Custom) due to the lack of the firing pin safety. What is your experience / opinion with the HD versions?

I had some issues with the Ultra initially. I traced it to an errant slide release that was catching on the next round and causing the slide to lock to the rear. A few passes with the file and voila. 500 rds of 230 grn ball ammo and 100 rds of Speer gold dot later, it was back in the line up. The Pro has shot flawlessly ever since I bought it, the Custom is too long for my girlish figure so I traded it for a Pro TLE II RL Stainless.

Here is a patented process I use to break in all of my kimbers. I developed it when I bought a Kimber that has probably the most complaints, The Raptor Pro.

This is patented so do not tell anyone about this.......:supergrin:

Disassemble the gun, get some cheap white colgate toothpaste, the kind like you get on the airplanes, no flavor crystals etc and put a few dabs along the slide and frame.

Reassemble the gun and work the action 200- 250 times, This starts to lap the slide to the frame. If your pistol has a coating like the Kimpro finish (probably the worst finish in the industry), you will see it start to wear away in some places. Clean the gun thoroughly, and repeat if you have a frame AND slide with a coating, if not then lubricate and start shooting.

This has worked on every Kimber I have bought for myself or a client. But its patented so don't tell anyone else.....:tongueout:

fasteddie565
12-24-2011, 08:05

Do you mind if I ask what your problem was?

Z28ricer
12-24-2011, 13:43
Kimber UCII is my choice, mine works great.

Next ones for me will be cco's, i'm sure i'll never carry a fullsize, probably even be a while before I consider buying one.