thinking of applying for amtrak police any thoughts???? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : thinking of applying for amtrak police any thoughts????

bigcountry31987
12-21-2011, 19:47
I work in the track department at amtrak. My train was delayed today and I started up a convo with an amtrak cop about joining the force. Basically I was wondering if anyone knew about the amtrak police force ....good - bad???

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

beatcop
12-21-2011, 20:31
I think they go to fletc or some fed academy. I don't believe my State recognizes the training for any other agency...so movement is limited.

bigcountry31987
12-21-2011, 20:47
I don't really plan on moving ....I want to stay with amtrak cause of the railroad retirement benefits.

JohnnyReb
12-22-2011, 03:17
I took the agility for them, then withdrew from the process. In DC, starting salary was $21.50hr. Amtrak has no shift differential. While the RR retirement is a good retirement, you need to work for a long time to earn it. I want to say it was 30 years, and even then you couldn't withdraw it until a certain age, but you would know more then me since you are in the system.

I also know in DC, they routinely assign officers to Baltimore.

I didn't persure it because there is no way I'd commute to DC for less money then I make now.

boomhower
12-22-2011, 04:00
I took the agility for them, then withdrew from the process. In DC, starting salary was $21.50hr. Amtrak has no shift differential. While the RR retirement is a good retirement, you need to work for a long time to earn it. I want to say it was 30 years, and even then you couldn't withdraw it until a certain age, but you would know more then me since you are in the system.

I also know in DC, they routinely assign officers to Baltimore.

I didn't persure it because there is no way I'd commute to DC for less money then I make now.

30 years isn't that uncommon, it's that way here in NC. I'm jealous of those NY and federal guys with 20 year retirements. We can go at 55 though, it's not full unless you have 30 in though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Cole216
12-22-2011, 05:46
I work for Amtrak and can tell you it isn't a bad job for what you do. If you live in the Delaware area, it might not be too bad for you but be prepared to move around. You could be in Philly/DC/Baltimore/NY hard to say, depends where they need you. The money isn't too bad but there are agencies that pay more with greater chances of advancement. Best of luck.

Patchman
12-22-2011, 06:09
As long as you're willing to put me on the train to DC every May for the Peace Officer Memorial, I say go for it. :)

scottydl
12-22-2011, 09:37
If you're already in the RR system and you want to be a police officer... then go for it! In a large enough metropolitan area with enough trains, I'm sure can have its interesting moments. That said, don't take (or stay) in a job just for the retirement. Do the job you love, and everything else will work out. I stayed with a small state department for 9 years for the idea of the pension, before realizing there was no future there (not to mention IL is broke and I have no faith in the future of state pensions) and finally getting out and hired by a larger municipal department. The city work is great and I don't regret the move one bit, but I'm starting from scratch on retirement now... kinda wish I actually would have taken the short view and made the move earlier on.

Side thought: I wonder if Amtrak PD has active drug interdiction efforts... there is TONS of dope and money being moved cross country by train and bus these days, since planes are under a lot more scrutiny than in the past.

bigcountry31987
12-22-2011, 11:41
Johnnyreb....to get full retirement you have to have 30yrs and be 60 ....u can take an earlier retirement but I believe you only get 80% .....scotty Idk about the drugs I do know they have a pretty good sized k9 unit because you can see a cop with a dog at almost every station and they ride trains too....Idk if they r just bomb dogs or drug dogs or what tho

fran m
12-22-2011, 14:48
I've heard that it is the best kept secret in law enforcement. This was from an intern at my department whose father works there.

I have also heard that some officers retire from another department and go with Amtrak to work on their next pension.

I have a guy that I used to work with that went to Amtrak. It seems that he has as much OT as he wants.

If you want to speak with him PM me and I'll put you in touch with him. He is working in the Phila area but when first hired was in Baltimore.

Kadetklapp
12-22-2011, 15:14
I've applied to railroad police jobs at Norfolk Southern and CSX. I never got very far in the process because I didn't have the academy yet. Evidently they don't send you to an academy.

My understanding is that RR police have local jurisdiction as necessary and can enforce traffic laws in most states. Amtrak may be different due to it's more prolific federal influence, I'm not sure.

Jayman
12-22-2011, 16:57
I know a few Amtrak PD, and they seem to like their jobs OK. I run into them at Union Station and out at New Carrollton on occasion. I also see one of their investigators at DC court quite a bit. If you've talked with some of those guys and it seems good to you, then go for it. I will say that if you're in the DC metropolitan area, there are SO many police agencies that you should look around some. You might find one that is a better fit for you, or maybe not, but either way, do your research and go in with your eyes open/no regrets.

Bullman
12-22-2011, 20:20
The way I understand it you really need an in if you are trying to get on with a railroad PD job, least that is what I heard from some Norfolk Southern folks. Since you already work for the railroad it sounds like you might already have that covered.