S&W Bodyguard .380? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W Bodyguard .380?

vanilla_gorilla
12-21-2011, 22:23
Anybody using one? I'm taking a used one to the range tomorrow to see if I want it before I buy it. I'm thinking of it for a backup backup gun. Looks like it's about the right size to fit in my left uniform pocket.

G27Chief
12-21-2011, 23:15
I like the looks of the Bodyguard, keep us posted on how it does.

Agent6-3/8
12-21-2011, 23:25
Just food for thought, but over on the S&W Forum I keep reading reports of broken firing pins. Now whether or not its a real design flaw or things being blown out of proportion by the internet is up for debate...

Eyescream
12-21-2011, 23:35
I like it. Carried my wife's tonight.

Just food for thought, but over on the S&W Forum I keep reading reports of broken firing pins. Now whether or not its a real design flaw or things being blown out of proportion by the internet is up for debate...

Surely the internet would never blow anything out of proportion. Look at all the even-tempered people that cruise our gun forums.

MarcDW
12-21-2011, 23:44
I sold a couple of them and had no negative feedback.
It's better then the Ruger LCP.
Never heard of a firing pin problem on them, but then the HK USPC 45 had as well such a problem.

Agent6-3/8
12-21-2011, 23:48
I like it. Carried my wife's tonight.

Surely the internet would never blow anything out of proportion. Look at all the even-tempered people that cruise our gun forums.

I used to think that and bought a Kimber...Damned if the intenet wasn't right! :rofl::rofl:

In all seriousness its probably blown out of proportion. LAPD has authorized them, so thats good enough for me.

KK40384
12-22-2011, 00:00
I've got one. Great shooter, however I noticed after about 500 rounds through it the laser won't hold zero very well. Doesn't bother me much since it has good sights and I never relied on the laser as my primary sight. It'll probably make a trip back to S&W soon to get that issue taken care of. Other than that I'm happy with it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

freeride88
12-22-2011, 00:41
I like the looks of it, but it's not approved by my agency so I guess I won't be looking any further. Why choose it over a baby Glock, anyway?

metal
12-22-2011, 03:03
I like mine. No issues thus far other than the first one I purchased had a bad laser but it was replaced by the dealer same day.
I think it's a great bug or concealed carry weapon.

Wonder140
12-22-2011, 04:23
The laser is the only real complaints I have read about. As for the laser, the pressing of the on/off switch is the complaint. Those who own say its shoots nice and with no issue's. I'm waiting to pick one up from buds when they get them in. Their Leo price is $299 shipped so you can't pass up at that price.

3Speedyfish3
12-22-2011, 05:49
Review here: http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2011/09/14/lapd-smith-wesson-bodyguard-380-review/

collim1
12-22-2011, 06:26
A co-worker of mine has one and carries it as an on duty BUG and off duty pocket gun. He likes it alot, and says it has been 100% reliable for a couple hundred rounds.

I have shot it, and pocket .380s are not my thing but it seems like a decent gun.

Haven't really fooled with the laser, would like to shoot in low light and see how it does.

flieger67
12-22-2011, 06:41
My wife has one and it was her first center fire pistol. I've shot it a few times. Shoots OK but the trigger travel takes getting used to. The travel is not only really long to discharge the BG, but it's got a long a reset also. Maybe not an issue to someone who is used to DA revolvers but noticeably longer than a Glock, for instance.

My wife's pistol and mags have fed quality defensive ammo fine but range fodder can be a bit finnicky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

vanilla_gorilla
12-22-2011, 09:11
Why choose it over a baby Glock, anyway?

Because the baby Glock rides on my ankle. I'm considering the BG for my weak hand pants pocket. Available to the weak hand immediately under duress, such as if my strong hand is tied up doing something very important, like keeping my primary in its holster.

HexHead
12-22-2011, 09:18
The laser is the only real complaints I have read about. As for the laser, the pressing of the on/off switch is the complaint.

There's a really easy DIY fix for the mushy laser switches. It's outlined on bodyguard380.com.

All you need is a plastic shaft Q-tip, razor blade and a quarter. Pull off the soft rubber switch caps. Cut a slice out of the Q-tip shaft the thickness of a quarter. Slide it down inside the back of the rubber button, so the nub is supported by the Q-tip slice. Replace the button into the frame. Now the laser switches are just tap-tap-tap.

Great pistol for pocket carry.

freeride88
12-22-2011, 10:37
Because the baby Glock rides on my ankle. I'm considering the BG for my weak hand pants pocket. Available to the weak hand immediately under duress, such as if my strong hand is tied up doing something very important, like keeping my primary in its holster.

So I'm assuming it's a third gun, and you're already carrying two glocks? Why switch to another system? If you're carrying three guns and two of them are going to be glocks, get a third glock and use the same mags.

SCSU74
12-22-2011, 10:41

if that's the case I would rather use my knife than a .380... i trust my cold steel boot knife a whole lot more than that little round

vanilla_gorilla
12-22-2011, 10:44
So I'm assuming it's a third gun, and you're already carrying two glocks? Why switch to another system? If you're carrying three guns and two of them are going to be glocks, get a third glock and use the same mags.

I'm not exactly sure how a Glock 26 fits anywhere near my pants pockets or anything else easily accesible with only one hand. It sure as hell doesn't fit in my polyster pockets.

I'm looking for something smaller than the 26.

Sharky7
12-22-2011, 11:24
Good gun. I've been using it as a BUG for about 6 months, no problems. Probably put 500 rounds through it, shoots better that the LCP in my opinio, but a tad bigger and heavier.

Feels pretty solid, not worried about banging it around on my ankle. Laser is a novelty basically.

vanilla_gorilla
12-22-2011, 13:25
Feels pretty solid, not worried about banging it around on my ankle. Laser is a novelty basically.

Noticed that, and that's definately a negative. I'm not a fan of lasers, but my brothers LCP has the laser and it's a "grip and go" kind of thing, unlike the BG where you have to manually turn it on before it's useful.

Doesn't look like I'm gonna get to shoot it today, and I've got to go to work in a few hours. Sucks. It definately feels more substantial that the other .380s, and I do like that.

Ajon412
12-22-2011, 13:34
I'm not exactly sure how a Glock 26 fits anywhere near my pants pockets or anything else easily accesible with only one hand. It sure as hell doesn't fit in my polyster pockets.

I'm looking for something smaller than the 26.

How about a 5 shot 38 Special, 9mm or 40?.....Nothing like ruining a BG's day with contact shots of 5 rounds of your favorite ammo + those wonderful expanding gases....:whistling:

vanilla_gorilla
12-22-2011, 13:45
How about a 5 shot 38 Special, 9mm or 40?.....Nothing like ruining a BG's day with contact shots of 5 rounds of your favorite ammo + those wonderful expanding gases....:whistling:

I actually started out looking for a deal on one of those uber-lightweight S&W .38s but it seems the .380s, on the whole, are going for a much more manageable price than those are.

Ajon412
12-22-2011, 13:54
I actually started out looking for a deal on one of those uber-lightweight S&W .38s but it seems the .380s, on the whole, are going for a much more manageable price than those are.

Have you looked at a used S&W or a Charter Arms? :wavey:

1041TX
12-22-2011, 16:32
Is the trigger weight similar to the LCP? I'm a lefty so the safety is a no go for me. Wondering if it's safe to have in a pocket holster safety off, similar to the LCP which doesn't have a thumb safety in the first place. Strike again for the lefties....

Posted on my iCrack......errr iPhone.

vanilla_gorilla
12-23-2011, 03:58
Is the trigger weight similar to the LCP? I'm a lefty so the safety is a no go for me. Wondering if it's safe to have in a pocket holster safety off, similar to the LCP which doesn't have a thumb safety in the first place. Strike again for the lefties....

Posted on my iCrack......errr iPhone.

The trigger is heavy enough that I wouldn't worry about it. Probably would never use the safety. I'm guessing it's about 8 lbs.

DonGlock26
12-23-2011, 07:49

Yep, that's why I'm getting a Ruger LCP for Christmas. The breakage reportedly occurred even with snap caps.

"Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 02/25/2011
Request No: 87277

Comment / question:

Can you confirm that it is OK to dry fire the LCP. I saw a FAQ regarding same question for other pistols and that it is OK but just wanted to make sure for the LCP model. Thanks!

Response:
Yes, The firing pin in the Ruger LCP-Series pistols is of the inertia type and dry firing should cause no damage to the firearm. When handling the firearm, ensure compliance with all warnings and instructions contained in the instruction manual, and be especially careful to keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction.

If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 928/778-6555 end_of_the_skype_highlighting between 8:00 - 4:00, Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms"

http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=14099.0

_