Ex-Des Moines police officers indicted in beating [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Des Moines police officers indicted in beating

TBO
12-22-2011, 03:16
Ex-Des Moines police officers indicted in beating

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20111221/NEWS/312210065/-1/DINER_REVIEWS/Ex-Des-Moines-police-officers-indicted-beating

-------------------------------

Federal charges arising from a 2008 incident. A Police review said they used excessive force, but there were never criminally charged before now.

Morris
12-22-2011, 08:04
I love a system where the state declines but the federales seem to find room to continue forward.

merlynusn
12-22-2011, 09:13
I love a system where the state declines but the federales seem to find room to continue forward.

My thinking exactly.

But then again, I've thought that way since the Rodney King beating trial. I never understood how it wasn't double jeopardy. I know the "legal" reason, but it defies common sense.

Nick.45
12-22-2011, 10:26
Their civil service commission recommended he be hired back but the city was fighting the decision IIRC. He was at my facility before the judge released him on his promise to appear in court. I work with his brother. He seems to have been falling apart as of late. He was picked up for OWI and CCW about six months ago.

The "victim" was reported to be something like 6'8" and was actively fighting with the officers. Dont know if it would have helped or hurt to have an in car camera. For some reason DMPD does not have cameras in all of their cars. Decent guy from my limited interactions with him.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CAcop
12-22-2011, 10:49

Bill Cozzi in Chicago was convicted in state court and then convicted in federal court.

One of these days there will be a Blue Ribbon Panel asking the question, "Why don't people want to be cops?" They won't like the answer.

We have been trying to get up to full staffing for 2 years now. You would think in a recession we could. I wonder why my city can't attract enough quality people. Hmmmm....

A6Gator
12-22-2011, 13:28

Because states can't print money...

Could't tell from the article who's driving the train on this one, but Holder's civil rights division lives for this kind of stuff.

DaBigBR
12-23-2011, 16:33
For some reason DMPD does not have cameras in all of their cars. Decent guy from my limited interactions with him.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I would imagine that it's all financial...but with a $500,000 settlement, that equipments probably most of their fleet. The odds are that this incident is/will lead to greater (total?) deployment of cameras in their cars, which makes it all downright ironic.