Constable Who Shot Accused Shoplifter Files Suits [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Constable Who Shot Accused Shoplifter Files Suits

CJStudent
12-22-2011, 07:47
http://www.wlky.com/news/30053664/detail.html

Read the rest of the articles linked, too. This guy is a tool.

Cochese
12-22-2011, 10:45
Are they like PA Constables, or TX Constables?

What do they do in KY, other than shoot shoplifters. :rofl:

wprebeck
12-22-2011, 11:01
This is a big mess locally. Its given enough bad press to the office, that there has been a bill filed that would allow a Constitutional amendment to abolish the office.

Panzergrenadier1979
12-22-2011, 11:24

From the article it sounds like they are similar to Pennsylvania constables.

I think that if a PA constable, who was NOT performing official duties, placed himself in such a predicament then he to would have an uphill road to climb after the smoke cleared.

I wonder if this guy felt that he as acting as an LEO or as a concerned citizen when he confronted the shoplifter. Did he ID himself by title?

CJStudent
12-22-2011, 11:50

They are elected like a sheriff, but have no real duties. Originally, they were intended to serve papers from the Magristrate Courts, which have since been pretty much abolished. Now, some counties don't even elect them. They are paid based on what they do, according to a set table statewide.

This is a big mess locally. Its given enough bad press to the office, that there has been a bill filed that would allow a Constitutional amendment to abolish the office.

"Big mess" is an understatement. It's funny how there wasn't that much negativity towards them until this jackalope was elected, to the best of my knowledge.

From the article it sounds like they are similar to Pennsylvania constables.

I think that if a PA constable, who was NOT performing official duties, placed himself in such a predicament then he to would have an uphill road to climb after the smoke cleared.

I wonder if this guy felt that he as acting as an LEO or as a concerned citizen when he confronted the shoplifter. Did he ID himself by title?

From what I understand, he did ID himself by title. He does have the authority to make arrests anywhere in the county at any time, and worked "off-duty" (not that he ever really was "on-duty") at that Wal-Mart a lot.

To all the Constables on here:

I want to point out that I don't push everyone in with this idiot. This guy has been one of the biggest wackers around, and managed to get himself elected when I'm pretty sure he couldn't get hired anywhere. He unfortunately, in pressing for more duties and authority (mostly to run blue lights/siren, which has to be OK'd by the county gov't), has managed to pretty much sour the public in the Louisville area on the whole idea of Constables.

Dukeboy01
12-22-2011, 14:07
We have one here in Fayette County who got elected during the last go round in 2010. His plan was to hire a bunch of his gunnut buddies as deputies and then go start trying to serve arrest warrants like Dog the Bounty Hunter. As with the approval of blue lights, the county gets the final say on who gets to be a deputy. After thorough background investigations all of his whacked out friends were disqualified for one thing or another.

They definitely have their place, IMO. My brother and parents own a lot of rental property and sometimes you need somebody to stand by when you kick a deadbeat out. Constables are great for this because they move things along while not tying up a "real" police officer or sheriff's deputy. The problems arise when they get tired of serving paper or watching landlords set furniture out on the curb and want to try out the shiny handcuffs, TASERs, and super large caliber handguns they have on their belts or on their tactical vests. Even worse is when they feel the need to make sure that all 999 of the different hidden blue strobes they have rigged up in their police auction CVPIs work.

CJStudent
12-22-2011, 16:30
We have one here in Fayette County who got elected during the last go round in 2010. His plan was to hire a bunch of his gunnut buddies as deputies and then go start trying to serve arrest warrants like Dog the Bounty Hunter. As with the approval of blue lights, the county gets the final say on who gets to be a deputy. After thorough background investigations all of his whacked out friends were disqualified for one thing or another.

They definitely have their place, IMO. My brother and parents own a lot of rental property and sometimes you need somebody to stand by when you kick a deadbeat out. Constables are great for this because they move things along while not tying up a "real" police officer or sheriff's deputy. The problems arise when they get tired of serving paper or watching landlords set furniture out on the curb and want to try out the shiny handcuffs, TASERs, and super large caliber handguns they have on their belts or on their tactical vests. Even worse is when they feel the need to make sure that all 999 of the different hidden blue strobes they have rigged up in their police auction CVPIs work.

I hear you. I don't see an issue if a constable, WITH THE RIGHT TRAINING, were to see an issue during their normal duties and deal with it. It's the ones that want to just go out and "play cop" without the training, much less any real LE experience, that get to me.

Panzergrenadier1979
12-22-2011, 17:35
We have one here in Fayette County who got elected during the last go round in 2010. His plan was to hire a bunch of his gunnut buddies as deputies and then go start trying to serve arrest warrants like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

We had one of these a couple years ago in a nearby county. The constable's plan was to deputize a bunch of guys and serve as an ad hoc police force. It never happend because the constable was eventually arrested for performing traffic stops on attractive females, flashing a badge, and giving them verbal warnings. A true creeper/whacker.

Cav
12-22-2011, 17:54

Sounds like a PA one, that wants to be like a TX one.

In Texas property trumps life. Say some kids steal some twinkies... http://www.neatorama.com/2008/09/28/homeowner-shot-teenage-intruder-over-twinkies/

Part of me says law suits are dumb, the other part of me says every police officer should counter sue anyone that sues them.

Was the constable a bit reckless, I dont know the full story. Does he come off as an idiot, sure does.

MeefZah
12-22-2011, 22:16
He looks like Private Pyle (from Full Metal Jacket) in the video freeze:

http://www.wlky.com/news/29736080/detail.html

Panzergrenadier1979
12-23-2011, 02:59

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's him alright! Just before he blew away the Gunny.....

txleapd
12-23-2011, 05:19
I've seen Constables in rural areas, who are no more than elected process servers. No gun. No badge. The constables around here are all cops. They run traffic, make arrests and back ups, have helped us catch a few bank robbers, and a couple are even on task forces.

L-1
12-23-2011, 11:36
We had one of these a couple years ago in a nearby county. The constable's plan was to deputize a bunch of guys and serve as an ad hoc police force. It never happend because the constable was eventually arrested for performing traffic stops on attractive females, flashing a badge, and giving them verbal warnings. A true creeper/whacker.

By any chance was your guy a transplant from Hawaii?

Mayhem like Me
12-23-2011, 12:14
what are the details on the shoot???

CJStudent
12-23-2011, 12:34
what are the details on the shoot???

It's in one of the linked articles on the one I linked. Basically, from my understanding, he was shopping in the walmart, and frequently worked security for the walmart off-duty. He had his badge and gun on his belt. From what this article (http://www.wlky.com/news/29666712/detail.html) says, he was approached by walmart LP about the shootee, who had stolen some merchandise and was in the parking lot. He tried to stop her, she ran over his foot, and somewhere in the process he fired a shot that hit her in the arm and hand.

GD2J
12-23-2011, 14:04
Confused by the office of Constable in Ky? It seems from what I've read that it's a constitutionally mandated position and has LE powers, but no real function. How do the county commissioners get away with telling a constitutional officer ANYTHING about how his office is run? He doesn't answer to them, he answers to the electorate.

Maybe someone from Ky. can school me, but if indeed she was/is a shoplifter and resisted arrest by force (vehicle), on the surface that is a good shoot.

ateamer
12-23-2011, 14:09
It just baffles me why some states allow law enforcement officers to not have completed a full academy and field training before being allowed to work solo.

Panzergrenadier1979
12-24-2011, 02:40
By any chance was your guy a transplant from Hawaii?

I don't think so. I've heard from the midwest, but not that far west.

CJStudent
12-24-2011, 05:54
Confused by the office of Constable in Ky? It seems from what I've read that it's a constitutionally mandated position and has LE powers, but no real function. How do the county commissioners get away with telling a constitutional officer ANYTHING about how his office is run? He doesn't answer to them, he answers to the electorate.

Maybe someone from Ky. can school me, but if indeed she was/is a shoplifter and resisted arrest by force (vehicle), on the surface that is a good shoot.

It's in the law that certain aspects of it (having deputies, running blue lights/siren, etc.) are only allowed when authorized by the head of the county/metro government or county legislature (KRS 070.320, 189.950 to start). I know there's other references I'm missing, but I can't locate them at the moment.

Faulkner
12-26-2011, 15:01

Sounds like Arkansas has a similar constable setup as Kentucky. Seems for the past decade a certain state senator from northwest Arkansas tries every legislative session to get traction for a state constitutional ammendment to abolish the office of constable, to no avail. What has developed out of this are that requirements have been put in place that constables cannot perform any law enforcement duties until they have been LE certified.

The only input our county commissioners (i.e., Quorum Court) has on the subject is funding for the office of constable, and in our county they authorize $1.00 per year to each constable.

CJStudent
04-18-2012, 16:24
Update I somehow missed.

http://www.whas11.com/home/Jefferson-Co-Constable-accused-of-shooting-suspected-shoplifter-in-court-143647386.html

trdvet
04-19-2012, 06:43
Constables are full on police here. With that being said they are usually either retired from somewhere else or couldn't get hired anywhere else.

cowboywannabe
04-19-2012, 06:51
Constables are full on police here. With that being said they are usually either retired from somewhere else or couldn't get hired anywhere else.

:okie: damn, thats a hell of a group to be lumped in with for the retired coppers.

Kadetklapp
04-19-2012, 09:23
Good God that guy looks like Rod Farva!

ruralpatrol
04-19-2012, 15:29
I think that the Office of Constable has its place. Its unfortanuate that, like any group one person can have an effect on the perception of everyone. I wouldnt "throw the baby out with the bath water" just yet. I think the contstable association in Ky. has been working to improve training issues etc. I think if they work on updating the laws that allow constables to modernize the requirments to run etc. It can be a cost effect way communities can mutliply the law enforcement response & patrol in a given area.
Just an opinion.

CJStudent
04-19-2012, 16:02
I think that the Office of Constable has its place. Its unfortanuate that, like any group one person can have an effect on the perception of everyone. I wouldnt "throw the baby out with the bath water" just yet. I think the contstable association in Ky. has been working to improve training issues etc. I think if they work on updating the laws that allow constables to modernize the requirments to run etc. It can be a cost effect way communities can mutliply the law enforcement response & patrol in a given area.
Just an opinion.

I agree. I think this idiot has soured most in the area on anything to do with Constables, though. They were trying to pass an amendment to remove constables period, but it didn't get out of committee. Last I heard, there is a bill to allow county governments to restrict what the constables in their county can do, though.

razdog76
04-19-2012, 16:03

This is my walmart, this is my gun.
This one's for shooting shoplifters, this one's for fun.