Classes? Videos? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Classes? Videos?

Providence
12-22-2011, 11:04
I now have a HD/Tactical shotgun (Moss 500). Now I want to look at some training. In the spring there is a Suarez course south of me. I'm thinking about attending that. From looking at the local ranges, I can't say I'm too impressed with their offerings, but I may be missing something. Any advice?

What about videos? Magpul has one that looks interesting.

I'm open to suggestions.

MrMurphy
12-22-2011, 11:22
The MagPul video is probably the best you can do short of an actual class.

For actual classes, Louis Awerbuck of Yavapai, Gunsite itself (where he used to work IIRC) and Rob Haught are the only three i'd actually recommend.

Victoriagotagun
12-22-2011, 12:21
For actual classes, Louis Awerbuck of Yavapai, Gunsite itself (where he used to work IIRC) and Rob Haught are the only three i'd actually recommend.

A BIG +1 for Louis Awerbuck's shotgun classes. I have taken 2 so far and want to take more of his other classes. I have heard good things about Rob Haught and want to eventually take some of this classes as well.

10 fan
12-22-2011, 12:47
I am also in CA:crying:,where are they located? I took a 4 day class at FS,but don't know how it compares to others.

Providence
12-22-2011, 16:27
I am in Georgia. My wife and I have taken a 4 day handgun course at Front Sight. I would expect that their shotgun class is also first rate. Those two guys look interesting, but I can't find where they are coming to the southeast. I found this here in GA: http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/may20-2012-dynamics-of-the-shotgun-atlanta-ga.aspx

Does anybody know anything about Suarez International (Gabe Suarez)?

10 fan
12-22-2011, 17:14
I am in Georgia. My wife and I have taken a 4 day handgun course at Front Sight. I would expect that their shotgun class is also first rate. Those two guys look interesting, but I can't find where they are coming to the southeast. I found this here in GA: http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/may20-2012-dynamics-of-the-shotgun-atlanta-ga.aspx

Does anybody know anything about Suarez International (Gabe Suarez)?
I have heard they are pretty good but don't know first hand.I just spent 4.5 months working in N.C. and was hoping to take a class and Glocks armorers course but worked 6 days aweek so didn't happen. I'm a member at Front Sight so have taken several of there classes ,so far they have all been good.

B Glover
12-22-2011, 17:16
Can't beat real trigger time of course... Keep looking there are probably some reasonable classes within driving range.

But in terms of video's I have one from most of the instructors above. I take bits from each of them to make a whole. Of all of them I liked Suarez the least, mostly because his views of the utility of shotgun and mine differ. Magpul is the most modern of the video's production wise and the instructors are good enough at the teaching trade to keep your attention.

B

G19Tony
12-22-2011, 18:41
I'm taking a Suarez shotgun class next month, taught by Roger Phillips. I've taken training from him before. I expect to learn a lot. :cool:

Providence
12-22-2011, 18:53
I'm taking a Suarez shotgun class next month, taught by Roger Phillips. I've taken training from him before. I expect to learn a lot. :cool:The instructor for the class I am considering is Scott Vandiver. from here (http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/instructor-scottvandiver.aspx) it looks like he is the owner of the range that is hosting the course.

Maybe I need to post a question about Suarez in the General Firearms forum.

I also wonder if the Suarez curriculum is standardized. Front Sight's curriculum is, almost to the minute.

Spiffums
12-22-2011, 19:17
Take the SI course. If you want to post and talk to the instructors who will be teaching you head over to WarriorTalk and poke around. Great bunch of guys.

MrMurphy
12-23-2011, 04:33
Suarez can be good and bad. He has had some legal issues which some years ago continue to haunt him. I do not necessarily agree with everything he says, but he on shotguns he will generally be fine.

Awerbuck and Yavapai should be based out of Arizona, as is Gunsite.

If you're stuck in CA, see if you can attend a Scott Reitz class. He is retired LAPD SWAT and is excellent.

fasteddie565
12-23-2011, 05:08
The instructor for the class I am considering is Scott Vandiver. from here (http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/instructor-scottvandiver.aspx) it looks like he is the owner of the range that is hosting the course.

Maybe I need to post a question about Suarez in the General Firearms forum.

I also wonder if the Suarez curriculum is standardized. Front Sight's curriculum is, almost to the minute.

I would stay away from Suarez. Google him and see, he has had some shady deals in the past.

fasteddie565
12-23-2011, 05:12
The MagPul video is probably the best you can do short of an actual class.

I agree, I got the Shotty itch as well. The Magpul videos are first class instruction, and entertaining. I am looking to taking one of their classes.

Providence
12-23-2011, 08:59
I've been poking around WarriorTalk, and it looks there are some good guys as instructors. I also googled Gabe Suarez. I understand that there are "complications." I've been to FrontSight, so I've seen this stuff before. My FrontSight experience was great, but I did not join.

Don't know what I'll do about attending a class with Suarez International. I also googled the SI instructors in Georgia (Rick Klopp, Randy Harris, Scott Vandiver) and they look like good guys. I'll keep looking.

I'm going to order the Magpul Shotgun video. That will give me something.

The local range offering is 4 hours ($85) offering:

SHOTGUN SAFETY & HANDLING
CHARACTERISTICS & ACCESSORIES
CARRYING TECHNIQUES
PATTERNING & AMMUNITION TYPES
SLUG SIGHT-IN
AMMUNITION CHANGE-OVER
SHOOTING MOVING TARGETS

and shooting 50 slugs

MarkCO
12-23-2011, 19:02
I'd certainly recomend the MagPul first, which it looks like you are already doing. After that, the philosophy of the shotgun that a particular instructor subscribes to is a large determing factor IMHO. I have found that the majority of long gun courses are very elementary, to the point that you might gain a nugget or two, but won't get the actual teaching you are looking to gain. With shotgun, if the philosophy does not match yours, it is pretty much a waste of resources. While I think divergent philosophies are beneficial for the intermediate student to explore, I beleive it is more important for a first class to match as closely as you can get.

One you might consider is Keith Garcia. Yes, the man is an animal on the shotgun and a 3Gun competitor, but he is also a SWAT officer and trainer with solid credentials. He might be one of the most well-rounded instructors out there. If you watch 3Gun Nation, you have seen him on TV. He is a super nice guy, and pretty funny too. If you are interested and can't find him, I can get you contact info.

Victoriagotagun
12-23-2011, 22:29
If you're stuck in CA, see if you can attend a Scott Reitz class. He is retired LAPD SWAT and is excellent.

Another great instructor but I have only taken a handgun course with him.

Spiffums
12-24-2011, 10:58
Suarez can be good and bad. He has had some legal issues which some years ago continue to haunt him. I do not necessarily agree with everything he says, but he on shotguns he will generally be fine.

Awerbuck and Yavapai should be based out of Arizona, as is Gunsite.

You dont have to go to AZ for a SI class. They have trainers all around the country.