Harnady Critical Duty [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Harnady Critical Duty

Quarter Tank
12-22-2011, 11:33
anyone gotten their hands on this yet?

really interested to see real world data against Hornady's supposed FBI testing standards

from the articles and ads, it looks like a real promising bullet

arushus
12-22-2011, 12:45
Im interested in this stuff too! It seemsto be their "LEO only" bullet that they want to keep out of the hands of civilians like federal does with its hst's and winchester with their rangert-series.

Quarter Tank
12-22-2011, 12:56
the way they are advertising it likes its going to be readily available to LEO and civilians

I really want to see some un-biased ballistics tests to see if this stuff is good as advertised

arushus
12-22-2011, 13:03
What differences are there between hornady's critical defense and duty lines?

johnniet
12-22-2011, 14:14
What differences are there between hornady's critical defense and duty lines?

From the information on the Hornady website, they have different bullet weights than the Critical Defense.

9mm 135 Gr.
9mm +P 135 Gr.
.40 S&W 175 Gr.

Seems like the bullet design is the same as the Critical Defense. They have added what they call an INTERLOCK® BAND to keep the bullet and core from separating.

collim1
12-22-2011, 17:04
Im interested in this stuff too! It seemsto be their "LEO only" bullet that they want to keep out of the hands of civilians like federal does with its hst's and winchester with their rangert-series.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

Good place to do business with, good prices, and 50rd boxes. Selection changes daily so if they dont have the particular load you want check back often chances are they will get it.

Quarter Tank
12-22-2011, 17:24
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

Good place to do business with, good prices, and 50rd boxes. Selection changes daily so if they dont have the particular load you want check back often chances are they will get it.

sgammo.com is the place to go for 50rd LEO boxes

Merkavaboy
12-22-2011, 18:22

Hornady doesn't have "LEO only" ammo. No ammo they make is "restricted" in any way.

Merkavaboy
12-22-2011, 18:37
the way they are advertising it likes its going to be readily available to LEO and civilians

I really want to see some un-biased ballistics tests to see if this stuff is good as advertised

Ballistic gel testing is, in itself, extremely biased. Ever meet a human being made from ballistic gel (or Permagel, jugs of water, soaked newspaper, etc.)? Me neither. And we never will.

Until we see actual hard data from street shootings, Hornady's Critical Defense and Critical Duty ammo is an unproven technology and I refuse to be the guinea pig for Hornady to see if their new FTX technology actually works like other street proven handgun loads, if it fails miserably like ball ammo or something in between.

PghJim
12-22-2011, 19:58
Yes these bullet pass the FBI protocol, but have you seen the expansions. I think of all of the testing that was advertised, only 2 rounds in two circumstances got above .60"

NG VI
12-23-2011, 15:02
Heavier weights?

Not surprising, the Critical Defense loads are designed to not quite meet the FBI standards, and not because they expanded too much either.

cowboy1964
12-23-2011, 16:14
I've never been impressed with any Hornady pistol ammo tests I've seen and couple that with the price for 20 round boxes and I'll pass.

Now their .223/5.56 ammo OTOH rocks.

DRT
12-24-2011, 17:17
I think the critical duty has a core with a harder lead alloy vs critical defense.

I like the idea of the flex tip to prevent plugging but I'll stick with HST.

NG VI
12-24-2011, 17:37
Yeah.

For all the ad talk about the plug preventing clogging, Ranger-T and HST seem to have no issues at all with heavy clothing.

Gold Dots and PDX seems pretty good regardless of clothing too. Seems like they came up with a great solution in 2011 to a problem that existed in 1991.