sight removal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : sight removal

B.Reid
12-22-2011, 12:52
I have heard that I should remove and replace the sight from only one side, assuming this is true. What side do I do it from.

MrVvrroomm
12-22-2011, 22:13
If you're talking about Glock sights, push them out of the right side on the slide.

cciman
12-22-2011, 22:13
Push out towards the right of the gun, push in R to L.

Rob01
12-23-2011, 17:46
Here's a good video showing how to change out the sights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maCQhEIjoA&feature=player_embedded

kashdaddy
12-27-2011, 11:30
Push it in from the right side to the left...................push out from the same direction you just pushed in from.............they have a tapered bottom and will grove themself in. Use some red loctite and screw them down if they have a screw. Make sure they are dead center before you loctite it.

VN350X10
01-01-2012, 20:04
Hint: after pressing in, apply GREEN loctite, the self-wicking type. Creeps into place, no hurrying to beat setup time.
I've used it on Glock sights & rifle scope rings for years. Curerd, it's the same strength as blue.

uncle albert

Batwing
01-01-2012, 21:41
Use some red loctite and screw them down if they have a screw.

I'd be hesitant to use red thread locker. That stuff cures very hard and you must use heat to get it broken loose.

JBaird22
01-11-2012, 21:40
I wouldn't use red on anything you intend on taking apart....ever. Locktite color or strength is also based on the diameter or size of the fastener.

cciman
01-11-2012, 22:59
although possibly true for larger fasteners....Its not that great- unless you thoroughly degreased the item, for a fastener that small, you will not have any issues removing it.

I'd be hesitant to use red thread locker. That stuff cures very hard and you must use heat to get it broken loose.

cysoto
01-11-2012, 23:57
I have heard that I should remove and replace the sight from only one side, assuming this is true. What side do I do it from.

If you are talking about a Glock, it doesn't make a difference which side you push it out or press the new one into place. On other model pistols it does make a difference and, for the most part, you want to remove them by pushing left to right and install the new ones right to left.

cysoto
01-12-2012, 00:01

I have installed and replace numerous sights and I always use Red Loctite to secure them. Releasing the Loctite is easily achieved by applying heat to the screw for a few seconds. I typically use a small butane torch and heat the screw for about 6 to 8 seconds. Unscrew it while it's still hot. It's that easy!

bruzer
01-12-2012, 00:29
Excellent.
Mike