Shotspotter technology: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotspotter technology:

Numismatist
12-22-2011, 15:05
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/22/sniper-detectors-coming-to-americas-heartland/

WOW, never heard of this. Thoughts?

Glock!9
12-22-2011, 16:28
I just read the same article...Thats interesting to say the least....

ctrl
12-22-2011, 16:36
They have used them in Glendale, Az and surrounding areas for years. Seems to work fairly well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfire_locator

DAIadvisor
12-22-2011, 17:08
Sounds like an awesome idea in theory. But then so is communism.

Gunnut 45/454
12-22-2011, 18:39
Yea you notice they left out a little detail- how many actual arrests have been made? Not cost effective for sure! But I'm sure the Obamamoa admin will waste billions of dollars on it!:faint:

Jerry
12-22-2011, 19:00
Yea you notice they left out a little detail- how many actual arrests have been made? Not cost effective for sure! But I'm sure the Obamamoa admin will waste billions of dollars on it!:faint:

But, but, but it's for the childrens. :dunno: :faint:

I'd post what I reall think of it but I've PO'ed enough people this week.:rofl:

Jerry
12-22-2011, 19:29
Oh the hell with it… It’s bull dung… a waste of money and false sense of security. How many crimes has it stopped? How many criminals has it caught? :crazy:

UtahIrishman
12-22-2011, 22:02
I guess this means there's no need to call in 'shots fired' anymore.

I'm not sold on this at all. It raises serious civil liberty issues in addition to a lack of evidence that it works as advertised.

Jerry
12-22-2011, 22:20
I guess this means there's no need to call in 'shots fired' anymore.

I'm not sold on this at all. It raises serious civil liberty issues in addition to a lack of evidence that it works as advertised.

See the bike in my avatar? It’s a Triumph and even the Triumph dealer can’t get the tune right on the computer. I refuse to spend over $200.00 for a computer program that cracks Triumph’s code to allow me to tune it to perform the way it should from the factory. Now don’t get me wrong, it runs grate. However, when I down-shift into a corner it backfires. Think anyone can tell the difference between my bike backfiring and a gun shot? I can’t! And I’m very familiar with both motorcycles and firearms. I’ll bet the “wonder system” can’t either.

Gunnut 45/454
12-23-2011, 11:12
Jerry
Yea just think how much fun one could have - record a **** load of gun fire and then go blast it on your car radio! Just think about all the money you could have the cops watse running around trying to find you. Iguess people would be getting the doors kicked in as well for watching the lastest movie with alot of gun fire and the volume turned up! Cause to be effective it would have to be that sensitive.:rofl:

Jerry
12-23-2011, 13:02
Jerry
Yea just think how much fun one could have - record a **** load of gun fire and then go blast it on your car radio! Just think about all the money you could have the cops watse running around trying to find you. Iguess people would be getting the doors kicked in as well for watching the lastest movie with alot of gun fire and the volume turned up! Cause to be effective it would have to be that sensitive.:rofl:

You’re a very bad man Gunnut. Boy could we have fun together. :rofl:

FearTheBoomAndBust
12-26-2011, 21:08
I've seen them tested, they actually work better then you would expect.

Sbh87
12-27-2011, 00:00
They have shot spotter in Springfield, MA. More times than not they can pin point it to someone's back yard and more times than not they catch the perp. So to all of the nay sayers out there this catches the un-law abiding people and gets them off the street. Its proven and effective.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Sbh87
12-27-2011, 00:01
Also someone mentioned an backfire from a motorcycle and shot spotter can most defiantly tell the difference. It can even differentiate fireworks from gun shots.

Syclone538
12-28-2011, 23:48
It probably just listens for anything supersonic.

Jerry
12-29-2011, 13:00
I've seen them tested, they actually work better then you would expect.

I’ll bet they’ll work as well as the “crime cameras” do in New Orleans. I've seen them tested. In the real world. Many don’t work at all, many have never worked and the one’s that actually do take pictures take such crappy pictures they are useless.

Funny how the “crime cameras” take crappy pictures while traffic signal cameras take “LARGE” crisp clear pictures in full daylight and dark of night, (sometimes of motor-vehicles that haven’t even run a red light). But I’d expect the traffic-light cameras to work better then crime cameras. Traffic-light cameras bring in revenue while crime cameras are there for the sheep (false sense of security). They don’t stop crime and so far they haven’t caught anyone that has committed a violent crime. So call me skeptical of the sensor system. If it were to actually work it only works “WHEN” shots “HAVE BEEN FIRED”. So maybe y'all will catch a criminal after the damage is done. I hope you don’t really believe they will STOP a criminal from shooting someone one. :upeyes:

Jerry
12-29-2011, 13:08
They have shot spotter in Springfield, MA. More times than not they can pin point it to someone's back yard and more times than not they catch the perp. So to all of the nay sayers out there this catches the un-law abiding people and gets them off the street. Its proven and effective.

It has proven to be effective? How many murderers has it caught? How many murders has it foiled? Give me factual numbers because catching the guy shooting rats or Coons in his back yard is a far cry from catching “real criminals”.

I’m sure the system there does a good job of spying on citizens in their back yards but not much for actually STOPPING or catching violent criminals.

ancient_serpent
12-29-2011, 13:16
When I was in the military we had some mounted on vehicles to test out. They worked ok, gave direction and distance to gunfire farily accurately. They weren't very rugged, though. Seemed like we were having to replace the microphones fairly often (until they quit giving us new microphones).

Jerry
12-29-2011, 15:11
I can understand how the technology would be a great asset to our military. Bad guys shooting are usually shooting at the good guys and they “usually” keep shooting until the “good guy” stop them. Knowing which direction the shooting is coming from before sticking one’s head out to figure it out I think would work “pretty darn good”. When it’s working! :thumbsup:

Directional location antenna for radio frequencies had been around almost forever. Sound has frequency so it seems it would be quite easy to set equipment to pick up sounds that fall within a particular frequency.

There’s one big problem with civilian use. It won’t stop criminals for shooting people and I doubt very seriously that after a criminal shoots someone he’s going to hang around where the shots were fired. In civilian use it’s another “feel good” system to waste our money. But God knows we need to catch all the bad people shooting in their backyards. :upeyes:

ctrl
12-29-2011, 15:49
In most places shooting in your backyard in city limits is agaisnt the law regardless. These setups use trianglation to determine direction and speed of travel of people shooting from vehicles and such, and despite what you might think-they actually work and do catch criminals.

Search youtube "shotspotter".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l88mTZ0xqbk

Jerry
12-29-2011, 17:20
:rofl: Yep! Did an excellent job! 1 minute 42 seconds in. Officers arrived on scene to find a dead body. Sure did a good job saving that guy. Perp made no attempt to flee. So how much did it cost the tax payers to catch a perp that the “cops” should have found anyway? I guess the helicopter that the tax payers are already paying for wouldn’t have spotted the shooter on the roof.

I wonder how many 911 calls of shots fired they received at the same time the systems clerk was reporting shots fired. First cop on the scene. You called about shot fired. Yes! Where did they come from? That roof over there.

They “BELIEVE” it helped save people that would have died had there not had an immediate response. They make an assumption. Ok I’ll make an assumption too. They just saved the lives of gangbangers so they can kill others. After all the system in the video isn’t installed in a white collar working area is it? Pretty good sales hype though. And how much does it cost. Last I heard Commyfornia had gone broke.

One of the things I love (NOT) is, I keep hearing that we need to pay cops more money and that we need more cops on the street, but rather than giving the cops more money and rather than hiring more cops they keep spending more and more money on gimmicks.

The City of New Orleans spent a fortune on crime cameras. The result is, they realize it was a waste of money (ain’t stopping or catching bad guys) but The People are still paying for them. Jefferson Parish bough a “tank”/armored personnel carrier several years ago. BIG BUCKS! Has never been used except for show. Citizens of New Orleans, Jefferson and several other parishes paid for traffic light cameras. They can’t be used because of law suits. Think maybe the ”MORONS” would have done ONE test camera to see if it would actually work and if it would hold up in court? NOPE! Lest buy a few hundred and sign a contract that has to be paid for even if the cameras aren’t being used.

Technology sounds good in theory. The MORONS gobble up the sales hype and jump in with both feet. Usually it doesn’t live up to the hype. And who gets to pay for it anyway? We do!