1911 mags... do you stick to one model or variety? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 mags... do you stick to one model or variety?

frogger42
12-22-2011, 17:47
So, up until recently, I was without a 1911 in my collection. Last month, I picked up a Colt S70. I took it to the range, but it had major problems and was sent back to Colt for repair. They turned it around pretty quick and it will be back home shortly. The customer service rep personally fired 100 rounds through it and said it worked perfect now so I'm looking forward to confirming this.

While it was away, I bought 2 8rd Tripp CobraMags and they seem very well built. I also have the 2 7rd Colt mags that came with the gun. I'd like to get a few more 8 round mags and I'm not sure what to get. Part of me thinks that since the CobraMags seem well built (and assuming they work well with the gun when it gets back) I should just order more of those. Part of me thinks that it would be cool to be able to compare all the popular mags and wants to a buy a Wilson ETM,a Wilson 47D, a Chip McCormick PowerMag+ and maybe an Ed Brown 8-pack.

I'm just curious what you guys prefer. Do you have a selection of mags or do you just find one that works and stock up?

Jason D
12-22-2011, 18:35
I have been in the 1911 game for a very long time.
I have over the years purchased a ton of them. Some are the premium magazines that so many seem to swoon over. I have settled into the 7 round Metalform magazines.

They can be had for 10 dollars or so, are American made, and have been in the business a very long time. They are great reliable magazines. I have a 50 caliber ammo can full of the other magazines, yet the Metalforms are kept with every 1911 I own.

To think you need to spend an arm and a leg on quality magazines is a fallacy.

michael e
12-22-2011, 18:43
I have 3 1911s, have about 2 dozen mags . For the most part they are just cheap ones and they all work 100%, we did have an issue with my friends 1911 not liking them. Not even sure what brand since they just came in a brown bag cost 5 each.

glock2740
12-22-2011, 19:39
I like Wilson and Tripp Cobra mags in my 1911's. :cool:

Bowtie
12-22-2011, 20:20
I only use CMC 10 rnd Powermags

ctfireman
12-22-2011, 20:25
I have & use kimpro tac mags, act mags, wilsons, factory springfield, ruger & colt mags. They all work fine in all my 1911's.

up1911fan
12-22-2011, 20:50
I like Powermags as well.

Glocker1984
12-22-2011, 23:53
Chip PowerMags here as well! Both 8 and 10 rounders. :wavey:

fnfalman
12-23-2011, 01:31
I've tried all the major brands, especially the "Gucci" brands.

I've found out that:

a) GI mags work really well, even feed hollowpoints though springs are crappy and tend to wear out fairly quick.

b) Mec-Gar mags are my favorites with a good combination of quality versus reliability versus price. The darn things actually work really well across four different calibers unlike certain "Gucci" mags (Combat something or another).

c) ACT mags also work well but tend not to do so in certain Filipino guns.

d) Colt factory mags, Check Mates, Metalforms (they could all but the same) work OK, but have some fit & finish that I don't care for such as not falling free or not locking the slide back, etc. Though at the prices that CDNN sells them for, Metalform mags couldn't be beat, but I'd rather cough out a few more bucks for Mec-Gar.

Here is just a small sample of various brands and mags that I have.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/MagsforM1911s001.jpg

mrsurfboard
12-23-2011, 10:47
All of mine are Wilson Combat

PawDog
12-23-2011, 10:54
I used various makes, Novaks, Metalform, CMC, and even some of the cheap 'surplus' ones bought for $6.00 at gun shows. So far, all work in any of my 1911's. I had a couple of cheap no names a few years ago that wouldn't feed, and simply trashed them.

Three-Five-Seven
12-23-2011, 11:02
You've already got the best mags with the Tripp's. There are none better.

I use Chip McCormick mags because they are easy to take apart and clean. But, they're not as good as Tripp's in all other ways.

Don't wast your money on the rest, you're already at the top of the mountain.

Bowtie
12-23-2011, 12:39
You've already got the best mags with the Tripp's. There are none better.

I use Chip McCormick mags because they are easy to take apart and clean. But, they're not as good as Tripp's in all other ways.

Don't wast your money on the rest, you're already at the top of the mountain.

There is no BEST. There is what works 100% in your gun.

Tripp, Wilson, CMC, if they all work flawlessly then neither is better than the other.

Dalton Wayne
12-23-2011, 12:48
Mine are all Mec-Gar

JohnJak
12-23-2011, 13:21
There is no BEST. There is what works 100% in your gun.

Tripp, Wilson, CMC, if they all work flawlessly then neither is better than the other.

True story.

zhix
12-23-2011, 15:47
I use Wilson ETMs and 47s for carry, but I think I would be just as good with Chips. Also, Metalform or whoever is the OEM for Colt and Sprongfield have worked for me.

The only mags I have used that have not worked for me were Kimber(came with the gun new) and and USGI.
I was really hoping the USGI would work because I could pick up more really cheap. I don't know how old it is but it was still in the foil wrap when I bought it last year, only works in some of my guns; according to the # it was made by Check-mate.

glockarmor
12-23-2011, 16:03
Wilson

Jerry
12-23-2011, 16:06
I like Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat. I have 7, 8 and 10 rounders in both brands. I used to compete and the 10 rounder’s have had 1,000s of rounds through them. They still have the original springs in them and have been dropped on concrete many times. They have been 100%. For that reason I use 7 and 8 round Wilson Combat in my carry gun. When asked what mags work best I recommend what has worked best in 4 differetn 1911 for me. This doesn’t mean other mags won’t get the job done but I prefer to go with what ‘has proven to work for me’. You won’t go wrong with Wilson or McCormick.

Eagle22
12-23-2011, 16:34
McCormick 8 round for me.

GVFlyer
12-23-2011, 18:24
I kinda believe in magazine witchcraft…or maybe it's some form of voodoo, but I pretty much use different mags for each 1911. I know life would be easier if I just used Wilson 47Ds in everything, but I'm so superstitious about magazine performance in semi-automatic weapons that I just can't bring myself to do it.

So…I use Colt mags in my Gold cup and other Colts except for the 38 Super Special Combat Government in which I use Metalform mags. I use 47Ds in my Wilson Combat, ACT mags in the Sig Sauer, Les Baer Mags in the Les Baers, Ed Brown mags in the Kobra Carry, and Dan Wesson mags in the black Valor.

I do, however, use non-denominational mags in the Remington R1.

cdunn
12-23-2011, 18:45
I use wilson,brown,nighthawk,certac,act,cmc they all work perfect ,and now this http://www.cdnninvestments.com/19458rdxyelu.html I got one to try out,I'll get a chance next week

brickboy240
12-23-2011, 20:31
I have probably 7-10 Wilson 47Ds and some are going on 10 years old. They all work just fine.

However, this summer, I went to a gunstore to buy one more 47D but they were out. They did have some of the Kimber Kim Pro Tac mags in stock and they were 10 dollars cheaper than a 47D. I decided I'd roll the dice and give it a try. The mag seemed TEN TIMES better than the ratty mag that came with my Kimber TLE II.

Well, many months later and the Kim Pro Tac mag is 100% in both my Colts, the Springer and the TLE II. I have run hardball and a few different types of HPs and the Kimber mag does what it is supposed to do.

Works for me and saves me 10 bucks....I'd buy another.

Forget everything you know about Kimber's stock mags that come with their lower tier guns like the TLE II and Custom II....the Tac Mag is much better and a well made piece of kit. With the cost of 45 ammo these days...I like the savings.

- brickboy240

pilsbury
12-23-2011, 20:38
All mine are Wilson, and I have a few Kimbers mixed in.

brisk21
12-23-2011, 23:16
I have good luck with Wilsons in my TRP. I also got some Tripp rebuild kits (springs and followers) for the stock metalforms that came with the TRP as well as some rebuild kits for 10 round CMC mags. The Tripp kits made all those mags run 100% reliable when the previously didn't.

BuckyP
12-24-2011, 06:05
I've used a LOT of different magazines, and I've found I like the Tripp best, especially in NON .45 pistols. In the .38 super and .40 / 10mm they are far better than other magazines I've used.

http://www.pollardfamily.net/al/ssmags.jpg

Deployment Solu
12-24-2011, 06:51
All of mine are Wilson Combat

This!! Wilson 47D mags are the only 1911 mags I own.

branned
12-24-2011, 12:27
Stainless 8rd Mec-Gar (the best that I like)
Stainless 7rd MetalForm (CDNN sales)

DLEE25
12-24-2011, 13:32
I've used a LOT of different magazines, and I've found I like the Tripp best, especially in NON .45 pistols. In the .38 super and .40 / 10mm they are far better than other magazines I've used.

First of all, I am so stealing your magazine storage idea! I have a ton of those plastic containers from the local Chinese take out place. As far as 1911 magazines, I am pretty happy with the Wilson Combat 47D's. I just prefer the plastic followers over the split metal type. Just have had more reliable results with them.

deadite
12-24-2011, 18:47
I like Wilson and Tripp Cobra mags in my 1911's. :cool:

Me, too.

deadite

JK-linux
12-24-2011, 18:58

COLDSTEEL165
12-24-2011, 21:21
Nothing but Tripps cobra 1911 mags.

collim1
12-24-2011, 22:27
I have a couple of Wilson 47D's and the rest are cheap GI style mags. I dont carry my 1911 so I dont really worry about mags much.

I have had a couple of the el cheapo mags break in various ways in the last few years. Cracks at the back of the mag corners, spot welds at the floorplate coming loose, and the feed lips spreading after alot of use.

If I had to choose mags for LE duty use they would be McCormick mags or Wilson 47D's.

I am actually in the market for some quality mags at the moment. I prefer the GI style mags and am curious about the Metalform mags or the Mecgar 7rd mags, just haven't done enough research to buy a decent quantity of them. I can get a decent price on either one.

I like to hit the range with a number of mags pre-loaded and get started

MajorD
12-25-2011, 20:45
I use wilson 47's, chip mccormick (the regular ones not the powermags- after 20+ years and I don't know how many thousands of rounds my first one crapped out recently-not too bad for a 20 year old mag that cost under 10 bucks at the time)
and whatever mags come with guns I buy. I keep the "questionable" mags for practice or bullseye slow fire competition where a malfunction doesn't matter,andthe others just get used. In years past I had a fair number of USGI issue mags that broke the welds on the bases causing the mag contents-ammo spring and follower - to fly out the bottom.none of those left in my stock anymore.

ca survivor
12-26-2011, 08:45

nice, I have to get organize like that one day

BuckyP
12-26-2011, 09:54
nice, I have to get organize like that one day

Thanks. With the exceptions of the two on the right, they are mags I grab for shooting a specific gun / division. Typically I take 6 to any match. I've since expanded the "box" for my GLOCKs as well. Hmm, time for an updated pic. :whistling:

Bill Lumberg
12-26-2011, 10:24
I only use CMC powermags.

CCV
12-26-2011, 12:14
I have been in the 1911 game for a very long time.
I have over the years purchased a ton of them. Some are the premium magazines that so many seem to swoon over. I have settled into the 7 round Metalform magazines.

They can be had for 10 dollars or so, are American made, and have been in the business a very long time. They are great reliable magazines. I have a 50 caliber ammo can full of the other magazines, yet the Metalforms are kept with every 1911 I own.

To think you need to spend an arm and a leg on quality magazines is a fallacy.

I agree