Casting process [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Casting process

themighty9mm
12-23-2011, 16:26
So I spent a little time reading and making sure I have the rough basic idea of what I will soon be doing. Tell me if I pretty much got it please?
It seems simple, but its a whole new world for me.

-Melt down the "rough" lead. At the sme time flux with wax and remove impurities.
-Turn the melted lead into ingots to later be remelted into a smaller casting pot
-Pour remelted lead into mold, tap out to reveal bullet. If any new impurities show up skim them off.

After this I have got sort of mixed reading. I know they have to be waxed, but do they also have to be resized?

Any recomendations on equipment? If I have to resize can that be done from my exisiting dillon 550? Or do I need some sort of special press? Obviously I have much more reading to do

Colorado4Wheel
12-23-2011, 16:36
Jack will tell you making ingots is a waste of time. If you have a Lee pot NOT smelting it down and getting your Wheel Weights or Range Scrap clean before it goes into the pot will ruin your Lee Pot. Jack has a nice RCBS pot and it doesn't seem to be effected by it.

Sizing is optional, depending on how big of a bullet your gun likes and how big your mold drops it's bullets. Either way they will need some lube. If you don't size your have to use Liquid Alox (of some kind). I guy at Cast Boolets makes a bulk qty version.

You can size using a Lee push through die and then use Liquid Alox (once before sizing once after).

If you size and lube in the traditional way (Lube Sizer). You will use a harder lube. The two most common lube sizers are Lyman/RCBS (basically the same) and Magma Star. Magma is the fastest by far.

fredj338
12-23-2011, 16:36
Sort of. Keep in mind bullet casting is a pretty old craft. It can be done over an open fire w/ a ladel. Bullets can be shot as cast w/ some type of lube on them. Many use Alox thinned w/ mineral spirits & "tumble" lube them. Some will "pan" lube; standing bullets in a pan, pouring in melted wax/grease based lube, letting dry & then poppiing them out.
You can size using a push thru sizer from Lee, you'll need a ss press though, just another reason to own one BTW. There are dedicated luber/sizers that lube & size in one operation. They cost a bit but worth it if you like to size your bullets. Go to the CastBoolit forum, tons of good info there.
Much like reloading, you can go as cheap as you want or as expensive. I like bottom pour pots vs an open pot & ladle. The Lee 20# BP pot is actually quite good for the money, one of the few things Lee makes I actually recommend. Then lube/sizers by Lyman, Saeco or RCBS, all work about the same. The Porche of lube/sizers is the Magma/Star. It easily does 1200/hr as the bullets go straight thru. Sure, it's about $250, but again, like reloading, speed always cost more.
I smelt in an open pot & pour ingots. I find it keeps my casting pot from dripping or otherwise having problems. Smelting separate also allows me to control alloy better as I have diff ingots for pure lead, clip ww, range scrap, etc.

Zombie Steve
12-23-2011, 17:01
Star sizer / lubricator.

:thumbsup:

themighty9mm
12-23-2011, 17:02
Sort of. Keep in mind bullet casting is a pretty old craft. It can be done over an open fire w/ a ladel. Bullets can be shot as cast w/ some type of lube on them. Many use Alox thinned w/ mineral spirits & "tumble" lube them. Some will "pan" lube; standing bullets in a pan, pouring in melted wax/grease based lube, letting dry & then poppiing them out.
You can size using a push thru sizer from Lee, you'll need a ss press though, just another reason to own one BTW. There are dedicated luber/sizers that lube & size in one operation. They cost a bit but worth it if you like to size your bullets. Go to the CastBoolit forum, tons of good info there.
Much like reloading, you can go as cheap as you want or as expensive. I like bottom pour pots vs an open pot & ladle. The Lee 20# BP pot is actually quite good for the money, one of the few things Lee makes I actually recommend. Then lube/sizers by Lyman, Saeco or RCBS, all work about the same. The Porche of lube/sizers is the Magma/Star. It easily does 1200/hr as the bullets go straight thru. Sure, it's about $250, but again, like reloading, speed always cost more.
I smelt in an open pot & pour ingots. I find it keeps my casting pot from dripping or otherwise having problems. Smelting separate also allows me to control alloy better as I have diff ingots for pure lead, clip ww, range scrap, etc.
Thank you, I just registered there and posted. Did a bit of poking around last night but have much more to do

EL_NinO619
12-23-2011, 19:41
Its hard, read, watch videos, and locate one of these old timers addresses and get over there.. Just my $0.02. It is very rewarding and fun, as soon as you get it going. I just shot some more of my first cast today with XD..

WiskyT
12-23-2011, 20:02
Reading up on it is good. But, you can only go so far by reading. If you read too much, ezpecially on the internet, you will be overloaded with wives tails and other crap. Get a Lyman book, read it through, and then just make some ingots. Ingots are easy to make and you'll learn that it is not as hard as it seems.

I sat on the casting fence for about a decade. Bullets were cheap and casting seemed so complicated. When components went sky high a few years back, I got off my but, invested about $100.00 in basic stuff, and made some bullets. It was easier than I had thought it was going to be. I should have started years before.

Don't worry about alloys or needing expensive set-ups. I make great bullets with moderately priced gear and crappy lead that I get for free.

fredj338
12-23-2011, 22:19
Reading up on it is good. But, you can only go so far by reading. If you read too much, ezpecially on the internet, you will be overloaded with wives tails and other crap. Get a Lyman book, read it through, and then just make some ingots. Ingots are easy to make and you'll learn that it is not as hard as it seems.

I sat on the casting fence for about a decade. Bullets were cheap and casting seemed so complicated. When components went sky high a few years back, I got off my but, invested about $100.00 in basic stuff, and made some bullets. It was easier than I had thought it was going to be. I should have started years before.

Don't worry about alloys or needing expensive set-ups. I make great bullets with moderately priced gear and crappy lead that I get for free.

Very true, I find casting far easier than reloading. The learning curve is very short & you don't have to pay real close attention. Jut about anything soft enough to cast can be made into shootable bullets. You can go really cheap & use a 2cav Lee mold, open iron pot on a propane stove & ladel cast. Tumble lube & shoot. Things will more than likely work, but it is kinda slow & results will vary, but far easier to do than most would think.:wavey:

atakawow
12-23-2011, 23:15
Seems like you have the basics down. Like Fred said, casting is much easier than reloading. Much safer too, IMO, not much can go wrong. It is a very rewarding hobby.

Start it as soon as possible.

Flux the pot whenever new lead is added, be it ingots or scraps. You can never flux enough.

Be nice to your local auto shops. Heck, I'd go out tomorrow and get them a dozen donuts for the holiday.

EL_NinO619
12-24-2011, 02:34
Very true, I find casting far easier than reloading. The learning curve is very short & you don't have to pay real close attention. Jut about anything soft enough to cast can be made into shootable bullets. You can go really cheap & use a 2cav Lee mold, open iron pot on a propane stove & ladel cast. Tumble lube & shoot. Things will more than likely work, but it is kinda slow & results will vary, but far easier to do than most would think.:wavey:

You guys are Liars...:supergrin: I don't mean its that tough, there is just a lot of minor stuff that you need to learn to really get going. My first time, I was a lot more overwhelmed than loading.. Just my experience.

Colorado4Wheel
12-24-2011, 08:30
Casting is easy and complicated all at the same time. That is what makes it so interesting.

norton
12-24-2011, 09:48
I learned how to cast on this forum and watching You Tube videos. Its fun to do.
Just remember, molten lead and water are a bad combination. :wow:

I use range lead bullets. I dig them out of the backstop at my shooting range-just dug some up this morning-then melt them down and cast them into lead "biscuits".
I use a Lee bottom pour production pot, and melt the biscuits in the pot.

WiskyT
12-24-2011, 09:54
Casting is easy and complicated all at the same time. That is what makes it so interesting.

It's only complicated if you want it to be.

fredj338
12-24-2011, 10:15
You guys are Liars...:supergrin: I don't mean its that tough, there is just a lot of minor stuff that you need to learn to really get going. My first time, I was a lot more overwhelmed than loading.. Just my experience.
I think that is some of your parents liberal DNA raising it's ugly head.:tongueout: Yes, for perfect results, it helps to follow directions & use a known alloy. Casting w/ scrap will give varying results, but you can't blow yourself up, any rejects are 100% recyled back to the pot. So for me casting is more tedious but a lot easier to do in that my attention level doesn't have to be @ 110% to safely get it done.:supergrin:
Casting itself is not complicated. Think abbout it. Jack is casting inside his house while on meds! How hard can it be? Now getting lead bullets to shoot well in your gun, that can take a lot more time & effort, ask Steve. The hardest part about casting for me is finding cheap or free alloy.:whistling:

EL_NinO619
12-24-2011, 13:22
I think some of your age is catching up with you Fred (senile) and you have gotten so good, your forgetting how much of a art form it is. You wont start off being a Picasso right away. Yes all your bad Boolits can be recycled but that does not make you feel better as your first 100 cast are no bueno. There is little tricks that take experience to speed up your casting and the quality of bullets etc. Maybe I am just so smart Loading came easy and the neanderthal casting is too easy for my great mind to rap around..:supergrin:

As far as Jack casting indoors and on meds and still performing. You ever see Carlos Santana play Soul Sacrifice on the guitar While on peyote.. Amazing things can be done on cloud nine when its second nature...:wow:

fredj338
12-24-2011, 21:59
I think some of your age is catching up with you Fred (senile) and you have gotten so good, your forgetting how much of a art form it is. You wont start off being a Picasso right away. Yes all your bad Boolits can be recycled but that does not make you feel better as your first 100 cast are no bueno. There is little tricks that take experience to speed up your casting and the quality of bullets etc. Maybe I am just so smart Loading came easy and the neanderthal casting is too easy for my great mind to rap around..:supergrin:

As far as Jack casting indoors and on meds and still performing. You ever see Carlos Santana play Soul Sacrifice on the guitar While on peyote.. Amazing things can be done on cloud nine when its second nature...:wow:
Well, there are some little things about casting that known & done will make the task easier & give you better results. You never asked though.:tongueout:
As far as being senile, not me, my mind is too warped to ever become senile. Look how well Jack is doing!
BTW, I am off most of the week if you want to come up & play w/ some lead. I "beagled" one of my RCBS iron molds & it's throwing bullets 0.001-0.002" larger now, works great. We can do the same to your 4cav Lyman. Now if I can just remember where the garage is!:fred: