Double Star Headstamp: Which Manufacturer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Double Star Headstamp: Which Manufacturer

SeriouslySig
12-23-2011, 21:34
I have some S&W .40 cal ammo which has what appears to be a double star (with a curved line in between the two stars head stamp. Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer was for this ammo?

If memory serves me right, this ammo was supposed to be designed for protection against medium sized game (black bear?).

Thanks!

dkf
12-23-2011, 21:40
Starline brass. Some of the best available. Reloaders and manufacturers like Corbon and Buffalo Bore use Starline.

fredj338
12-23-2011, 22:09
Starline brass. Some of the best available. Reloaders and manufacturers like Corbon and Buffalo Bore use Starline.
True, I have always wondered why Corbon or BB doesn't pay for headstamped brass made by Starline. For 50K pieces & a setup fee, they used to offer this.:dunno:

dkf
12-23-2011, 22:17
True, I have always wondered why Corbon or BB doesn't pay for headstamped brass made by Starline. For 50K pieces & a setup fee, they used to offer this.:dunno:

Don't know my friend. Maybe they figure there are more than enough headstamps already and are sparing us.:rofl:

Have any idea what brass Double Tap uses? I thought they are marketing their own brass which I take is probably made by Starline. I don't really have experience with DT myself.

Merkavaboy
12-24-2011, 03:11

Corbon does use their own headstamp on some of their ammo.

As for other companies not using proper headstamped cases, a lot of it has to do with the cost of making bunters to be placed into the machinery that actually makes the headstamp impression.

SeriouslySig
12-24-2011, 08:22
I figured it out, it is Corbon DPX ammo.

Thanks everyone, have a merry Christmas!

MedicOni
12-24-2011, 08:47
Don't know my friend. Maybe they figure there are more than enough headstamps already and are sparing us.:rofl:

Have any idea what brass Double Tap uses? I thought they are marketing their own brass which I take is probably made by Starline. I don't really have experience with DT myself.

The DT rounds I've shot were Starline brass

fredj338
12-24-2011, 10:08
Corbon does use their own headstamp on some of their ammo.

As for other companies not using proper headstamped cases, a lot of it has to do with the cost of making bunters to be placed into the machinery that actually makes the headstamp impression.

That's what mean. Starline used to offer but you needed 50K min order. I would think Corbon could handle that, same for DT, but it is for one caliber only.:dunno:

WiskyT
12-24-2011, 11:11
A custom headstamp can't be that big of a deal. I have some "Jordan" 357 brass that Midway marketed years ago. They had "Kieth" 44Mag brass at the same time. It was a limited availability thing and it wasn't that expensive or I wouldn't have bought it. I believe it is Winchester brass based purely on a rumor that was going around at the time. I'm sure Cor-Bon sells much more 40SW ammo than Midway did with that one-time deal of novelty brass.

Merkavaboy
12-24-2011, 17:48
Here's a link to an article that Talks about cartridge draw sets and headstamp bunters.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/how-cartridge-brass-is-made/

AquaHull
12-26-2011, 08:03
I have some nickel plate brass from Fiocchi , with the 9mm 124 gr FTX bullet , that have the double star with the semicircle between them.

I wonder if Fiocchi even made the primer or powder?

Merkavaboy
12-26-2011, 12:40
I have some nickel plate brass from Fiocchi , with the 9mm 124 gr FTX bullet , that have the double star with the semicircle between them.

I wonder if Fiocchi even made the primer or powder?

To the very best of my knowledge, Fiocchi has never used Starline nickel plated brass with the Starline headstamp. It should be stamped either G.F.L. or FIOCCHI USA.

Also, Fiocchi doesn't load the "FTX" bullet (which is made by Hornady in which the HP cavity of the bullet is plugged up by a red colored plug of rubber). But they do load Hornady's "XTP" jacketed HP bullet in many different calibers under their Extrema line of handgun ammo.

Are you sure the ammo you have came from Fiocchi? Was it in a Fiocchi box? Are all the headstamps the same?

WiskyT
12-26-2011, 14:18
To the very best of my knowledge, Fiocchi has never used Starline nickel plated brass with the Starline headstamp. It should be stamped either G.F.L. or FIOCCHI USA.

Also, Fiocchi doesn't load the "FTX" bullet (which is made by Hornady in which the HP cavity of the bullet is plugged up by a red colored plug of rubber). But they do load Hornady's "XTP" jacketed HP bullet in many different calibers under their Extrema line of handgun ammo.

Are you sure the ammo you have came from Fiocchi? Was it in a Fiocchi box? Are all the headstamps the same?

I don't remember where I saw it, but I have seen references to Fiocchi using Starline brass for it's "Extrema" XTP loads.

And thanks for that link regarding brass manufacturer, it was interesting.

AquaHull
12-27-2011, 12:35

I was coming back to edit and say XTP,yes it was a Fiocchi Extrema box,But it came with 35 in it with my used Glock 19 a couple of Septembers ago.
So the guy I bought it from may have switched out the ammo. He said he fired the gun 15 times , didn't like it and was getting a 40, because the 9 didn't kick enough