ACLU Disappointment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ACLU Disappointment

Kentucky Shooter
12-24-2011, 08:12
Just for fun, I did some browsing on the American Civil Liberties Union website.

They proclaim to be champions for every civil liberties right under the sun ranging from reproductive rights to LGBT rights to everything in between.

Everything of course except the individual's right to own a gun. They say that they view the second amendment as a collective right for the states to form militias. They state that they do not view the 2nd amendment applying to individuals. They state that they disagree with the recent Heller decision by the Supreme Court.

I have some libertarian blood in me that says people should be free to make their own decisions (even ones that would not be right for me and that I may not personally agree with). Since I don't think you can pass enough laws or regulations to protect 100% of the masses from their own stupidity 100% of the time, I would like less government interference.

The ACLU supports a bunch of topics that I am not emotional about, but on a major issue where I would like to see their backing and support, they fail. :crying:

I guess I should not be surprised at their hypocrisy, but I guess I am when it is so blatant.

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2011, 21:56
That is probably why they are best described as the American Coalition of Liberals United.:supergrin:

coqui33
12-25-2011, 00:26
The ACLU abandoned its original mission (to defend the BOR) about 25 years ago. Similarly, the SPLC abandoned its original mission (to expose racist groups) about 10 years ago. Sad, but there it is.

bmoore
12-25-2011, 13:47
Anti Chirstian Lawyers Union. Atheists Communist Liberals United. Those nuts should be prosecuted under RICO statutes. They are revolting in every way.

amd65
12-25-2011, 14:30
I support much of the ACLU work, but vehemently disagree with their blinders about the second amendment.
I have often thought the NRA should actively encourage all it's members to join ACLU en masse in order to get voting power in the organization and co-opt it.

Kingarthurhk
12-25-2011, 17:22
Let's not forget the Anti-Defication League.:rofl:

Kentucky Shooter
12-25-2011, 22:51
Yes, I feel they are definitely missing the boat by not considering any and all infringements on the 2nd amendment to be civil rights issues for individuals any time they happen. That seems to be the way they roll on other select topics so why not the 2nd amendment?

John Rambo
12-28-2011, 07:36
They've stepped in here and there against some really blatent violations of our 2nd amendment, but for the most part we can't count on their support. Its not that the ACLU are our enemies - they really do a considerable amount of good by our civil liberties; they're just misguided liberals.