Merry Christmas to my 10mm family. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to my 10mm family.

rcd567
12-24-2011, 09:52
I've only been here a short time, but really appreciate all the help, and the suggestions I've gotten here.

I would like to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!:wavey:

Sorry...I'm not politically correct on purpose.:wow:

ModGlock17
12-24-2011, 11:28
I wish the same to you and yours, and all other members!

The 2nd Amendment brought us together. We live in a great country!

_The_Shadow
12-24-2011, 12:20
Hey! To all of you and your families...Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!:wavey:

Here is a Louisiana Christmas Story for you to enjoy! http://youtu.be/lRv0FZzoxWI

JimIsland
12-24-2011, 12:46
Merry Christmas everyone!!

cigarman454
12-24-2011, 16:46
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all as well.

inspectorjj
12-24-2011, 16:53
A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. I'm glad I made it!

LASTRESORT20
12-24-2011, 17:19
Ho...ho...ho....Now I got a Glock....:)

Merry Christmas to all!

bac1023
12-24-2011, 19:44
:tree:

XmmAUTO
12-24-2011, 20:27
Merry Christmas to every one here on the 10Ring and a very happy new year.
:tree:

As for myself I'll be ringing in the new year with my Glock20 :2gun::perfect10:

Reboot
12-24-2011, 21:44
Great idea. I've learned a lot about my G20 & the 10mm from members in the 10-ring.

Happy holidays everyone.

Stay safe.

Greyedon 20sf
12-24-2011, 22:24
Merry Christmas to all fellow 10mm owners and those most important to you!

Beanie-Bean
12-24-2011, 22:33
Wishing a safe, happy, and Merry Christmas to all!

MichiGun Hunter
12-25-2011, 06:35
Merry christmas glockers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a happy new year too!!!

blastfact
12-25-2011, 08:41
My Christmas,,,

ColGlocker
12-25-2011, 09:43
Merry Christmas!!!

Wonder140
12-25-2011, 09:46
I became part of that 10mm family today. Wahoo! Glock 20sf was under the tree. Merry Christmas!

Now, what ammo? Seems UW is the way? Doubletap not any good now?

http://img.tapatalk.com/42577b1a-5364-df67.jpg

rcd567
12-25-2011, 10:15
I became part of that 10mm family today. Wahoo! Glock 20sf was under the tree. Merry Christmas!

Now, what ammo? Seems UW is the way? Doubletap not any good now?

http://img.tapatalk.com/42577b1a-5364-df67.jpg

DoubleTap is still pretty good. You won't get the velocity thats claimed on the box...however, Underwood will meet what they claim and at half the price! Underwood all way!!!!!!!!!!!:supergrin:

Wonder140
12-25-2011, 10:35
DoubleTap is still pretty good. You won't get the velocity thats claimed on the box...however, Underwood will meet what they claim and at half the price! Underwood all way!!!!!!!!!!!:supergrin:

Sounds good...Ty for the info!

Taterhead
12-25-2011, 10:42
Merry Christmas and best wishes for a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2012.

Kegs
12-25-2011, 19:43
Merry Christmas you all - my sentiments exactly mirror RCD's right down to the non p.c. stance! :wavey:

This little ten ring is damned great!

21Carrier
12-26-2011, 16:39
Merry Crimmas to all my 10mm friends!

Wonder140, welcome to the 10 Ring! I second RCD's recommendations on ammo. I've been very aggravated by Double Tap's blatant lies about velocity for some time, but the final straw was the two Gen2 G20s that almost blew up (one actually did, one came close) with DT ammo. The one that blew up was using old DT ammo, which used to actually meet velocity claims. The one that came close was using new DT ammo. Underwood seems to be making great stuff at pretty unbelievable prices.

Wonder140
12-26-2011, 17:43
Merry Crimmas to all my 10mm friends!

Wonder140, welcome to the 10 Ring! I second RCD's recommendations on ammo. I've been very aggravated by Double Tap's blatant lies about velocity for some time, but the final straw was the two Gen2 G20s that almost blew up (one actually did, one came close) with DT ammo. The one that blew up was using old DT ammo, which used to actually meet velocity claims. The one that came close was using new DT ammo. Underwood seems to be making great stuff at pretty unbelievable prices.

What's the deal with the blowing up? To hot? Factory barrel not able to handle hot loads or???? I've heard mixed reviews about swapping to a better barrel while others say they have fired everything through it with no problems so I'm torn. I'm definitely going to break it in with 1k rounds before I do anything to it though.

rcd567
12-26-2011, 19:52
I have fired a lot of different full power loads through my factory barrel. The main reason I went with Lone Wolf is that I reload. If you don't reload, Underwood is by far your best bang for the buck.

Can't speak for the blowing up part, some say it has something to do with the even looser chamber of the Gen 2 vs the Gen 3 barrels. Either way once upon a time DT's stuff was nuclear. I've heard that because of some of the Kabooms, DT lowered the pressure of his loads, hence...slower speeds.

You should have no problems shooting Underwoods stuff which btw is considered full power. Problem is with a loose chamber your brass will bulge and you'll get some smilies. Not worth a darn for reloading. Hope this helps.

nickE10mm
12-27-2011, 06:55
Merry Christmas!!

Wonder140
12-27-2011, 07:27
I have fired a lot of different full power loads through my factory barrel. The main reason I went with Lone Wolf is that I reload. If you don't reload, Underwood is by far your best bang for the buck.

Can't speak for the blowing up part, some say it has something to do with the even looser chamber of the Gen 2 vs the Gen 3 barrels. Either way once upon a time DT's stuff was nuclear. I've heard that because of some of the Kabooms, DT lowered the pressure of his loads, hence...slower speeds.

You should have no problems shooting Underwoods stuff which btw is considered full power. Problem is with a loose chamber your brass will bulge and you'll get some smilies. Not worth a darn for reloading. Hope this helps.

Yes sir, thanks for the futher explanation!!

21Carrier
12-27-2011, 22:37
What's the deal with the blowing up? To hot? Factory barrel not able to handle hot loads or???? I've heard mixed reviews about swapping to a better barrel while others say they have fired everything through it with no problems so I'm torn. I'm definitely going to break it in with 1k rounds before I do anything to it though.

I don't care what anyone says, I think that 99.999% of blown up guns are caused by over-charged ammo (not counting squib/blocked barrel KBs). If ammo is not over-charged, the brass should contain the pressure, regardless of the chamber support. The problem has been bad ammo. Now, when you combine a barrel with poor support with ammo that's borderline, you make it EASIER to blow up a gun. The examples of which I spoke both involved Gen2 G20s, some of which apparently have VERY loose chambers. Those things looked like someone went to town with a Dremel. Very bad. When combined with obviously over-charged DT ammo, one blew up, the other came close.

I am one of those guys that has many thousand rounds through his stock G29 barrel with no issues. I have about 11,000 rounds through it, about 8,000 of which were maximum hand loads. Many were too hot to admit. I actually feel pretty stupid now that I've settled down a bit and look back. However, despite my long quest for insane power, I only have about 12 ruined cases to show for it (from the G29). I don't think you need an aftermarket barrel, unless your ammo specifically states to use one (like SwampFox used to). If you are a reloader, I think the stock barrels are MUCH better. I believe that because they allow the brass to expand a bit, which is the only reliable way for a hand loader to judge relative pressure. By measuring fired cases, I can tell if I'm getting close to max pressure. With a tight aftermarket barrel, everything from super-light to max ammo yields the same expansion, so you can't tell a difference. I have an aftermarket barrel, and I haven't been overly impressed with it, though I think mine's a poor example. I will be replacing it with a 6" stock barrel soon. You are fine to shoot any commercial ammo from your gun stock.

However, do be careful with Double Tap. They were fine for the longest time, but recently, it seems they are producing Glocksmiles while simultaneously failing to hit velocity claims by HUNDREDS of fps. I wouldn't shoot DT ammo if you gave it to me. I would pull it and reload it. I think they have started using small charges of fast powder with short COAL and heavy crimps. That makes the round semi-hot while saving them powder. It also ramps up the pressure to the danger zone. Honestly, I think they might do this on purpose. I have a feeling they are betting that people see the smiles on the brass and think, "Damn! This stuff MUST be hot!" Unfortunately, it's just high-pressure ammo, not really high velocity (well, medium-high).

Sorry for the rant.

inspectorjj
12-27-2011, 22:45
No need for the apology Carrier. It needed to be said. I have never and will never shoot DT ammo. I don't reload but the information that I have obtained through studying, paying attention, soliciting information, and my own research in ballistics gives me no common sense reason to use Double Tap.

21Carrier
12-27-2011, 23:03
No need for the apology Carrier. It needed to be said. I have never and will never shoot DT ammo. I don't reload but the information that I have obtained through studying, paying attention, soliciting information, and my own research in ballistics gives me no common sense reason to use Double Tap.

I just always feel bad talking about DT. They pretty much saved 10mm for a while, as it seems they were the only company making decent 10mm ammo for a time. Also, it seems Mike McNett used to be a good guy, and shared lots of data, similar to the late Mike Willard of SwampFox. Plus, it seems the ammo is decent in that it comes with good bullets (usually), and always works. I really don't know what happened. Their old stuff is serious stuff, too. Chrono tests of old DT ammo stack up. But somewhere in the last few years, they just said, "Ok, we have the market cornered, we have our loyal customers, now let's just turn out some crap that looks and feels like it's high performance." There's just no excuse for the deception. Ok, I'm done, I've bashed DT enough.

Does anyone else think the whole timing of Mike Willard's death and Underwood Ammo rising to 10mm fame is odd? I know it's just coincidence, but around November 10-15th or so (several days after Mike passed, but we didn't know), I first read about Underwood. I was impressed with the chronograph results and especially the price. I was REALLY worried that Mike was gonna go out of business because of them. That was the first thing that went through my mind. I thought, "Damn, that's gonna KILL Mike's business!" I was really worried for him, because I knew he had been struggling, and seemed like he was just pulling himself out of the mess. Little did we know, he was already gone. I guess he would have still been the go-to-guy for full to nuclear power SD ammo, and popular bullets, but Underwood would have taken a good share of his business. I doubt SwampFox Gunworks could have survived. I'm sad that Mike's gone, but it's odd how things work out. I don't know how to say this without it sounding wrong, but I'm glad he wasn't around to get put out of business by Underwood. He was really an awesome guy, and deserved all the success in the world. It's also good timing that right as Mike left us, another source for hot 10mm ammo pops up. RIP, Mike, we miss you.

inspectorjj
12-28-2011, 00:44
Carrier, check your PMs.

rcd567
12-28-2011, 08:43
I don't care what anyone says, I think that 99.999% of blown up guns are caused by over-charged ammo (not counting squib/blocked barrel KBs). If ammo is not over-charged, the brass should contain the pressure, regardless of the chamber support. The problem has been bad ammo. Now, when you combine a barrel with poor support with ammo that's borderline, you make it EASIER to blow up a gun. The examples of which I spoke both involved Gen2 G20s, some of which apparently have VERY loose chambers. Those things looked like someone went to town with a Dremel. Very bad. When combined with obviously over-charged DT ammo, one blew up, the other came close.

I am one of those guys that has many thousand rounds through his stock G29 barrel with no issues. I have about 11,000 rounds through it, about 8,000 of which were maximum hand loads. Many were too hot to admit. I actually feel pretty stupid now that I've settled down a bit and look back. However, despite my long quest for insane power, I only have about 12 ruined cases to show for it (from the G29). I don't think you need an aftermarket barrel, unless your ammo specifically states to use one (like SwampFox used to). If you are a reloader, I think the stock barrels are MUCH better. I believe that because they allow the brass to expand a bit, which is the only reliable way for a hand loader to judge relative pressure. By measuring fired cases, I can tell if I'm getting close to max pressure. With a tight aftermarket barrel, everything from super-light to max ammo yields the same expansion, so you can't tell a difference. I have an aftermarket barrel, and I haven't been overly impressed with it, though I think mine's a poor example. I will be replacing it with a 6" stock barrel soon. You are fine to shoot any commercial ammo from your gun stock.

However, do be careful with Double Tap. They were fine for the longest time, but recently, it seems they are producing Glocksmiles while simultaneously failing to hit velocity claims by HUNDREDS of fps. I wouldn't shoot DT ammo if you gave it to me. I would pull it and reload it. I think they have started using small charges of fast powder with short COAL and heavy crimps. That makes the round semi-hot while saving them powder. It also ramps up the pressure to the danger zone. Honestly, I think they might do this on purpose. I have a feeling they are betting that people see the smiles on the brass and think, "Damn! This stuff MUST be hot!" Unfortunately, it's just high-pressure ammo, not really high velocity (well, medium-high).

Sorry for the rant.

While we agree on most everything, the stuff in red above is wrong. I've been reloading for 40 years and can look at a primer and tell you if it is too hot. A barrel with poor chamber support or too loose of tolerances is dangerous. I believe glock has solved most of those problems now.

We'll agree that todays Glocks with a stock barrel will fire any commercial ammo out there. But believe this...if your popping primers, see them starting to flow, or are completely flat...that load is too hot. Regardless of the amount of bulge or smilie on the case.