Awwww C'mon! WHY NOT!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Awwww C'mon! WHY NOT!!!

ADK_40GLKr
12-24-2011, 12:28
(Maybe this should go in tactics & training, but because it's distinguishing between rounds, I'm asking here.)

I picked one of these up to practice with in my BIG back yard, got it home, and read the warnings. I can understand the reasoning behind most being that bullets ricochet off metal, but....

-Why is .38 to .44 OK and .22 not?
-Why minimum distance of 25 yards? I'd like to start at 10 yards.

Is this just a case of mfr. CY* or are ricochet injuries a lot more likely if these warnings are violated?

NG VI
12-24-2011, 18:14
They are all about the same velocity range, so my guess would be it may be that .22 bullets don't have the mass to spin the target, increasing the chance of a ricochet back towards the shooter or bystanders.

I'm guessing the spinning action of the target dissipates a lot of energy and prevents damage to the target itself.

Spiffums
12-24-2011, 20:19
Id say start off with soft lead reloads and see what happens. And isn't there a min safe distance for shooting steel?

ADK_40GLKr
12-25-2011, 14:39
They are all about the same velocity range, so my guess would be it may be that .22 bullets don't have the mass to spin the target, increasing the chance of a ricochet back towards the shooter or bystanders.

I'm guessing the spinning action of the target dissipates a lot of energy and prevents damage to the target itself.

Makes sense to me.

ADK_40GLKr
12-25-2011, 14:43
... isn't there a min safe distance for shooting steel?

It's possible, though I've not heard that before. Where would I find information like that?

greenlion
12-27-2011, 08:27
Because the bb's and .22's will bounce off it, and the bigger lead rounds will go splat. The target isn't going to "move out of the way" of a .44 special any faster than it would a .22.