I think i need to go subsonic [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I think i need to go subsonic

crni4
12-24-2011, 23:03
Relatively new to shooting competition, but noticed that reloaders seem to have easier time putting led down range faster than us factory ammo guys. I am sure experiance and practice have a big role, BUT even reloaders admit to shooting some really weak stuff which helps with recoil.

So i though about reloading myself, but due to many reasons ($$$) i am thinking to try some subsonic 9mm ammo firts to see if that would help lower my times.

Example: georgia-arms.com

Any experiance with the company and this subdonic ammo? Would i need a lighter spring? Any other concersns?? Thanks

NG VI
12-25-2011, 08:55
I'd leave your springs alone unless you're actually seeing function issues.

I have bought a good amount of ammo from Georgia Arms, they are an excellent company. Sweet people, good product, and they are fast.

Tiro Fijo
12-25-2011, 12:43
Did you think for a moment that maybe it's the Indian & not the arrow & that perhaps the reloaders are more seasoned shooters and are just better at recoil recovery than you?

Many times a shooter needs to just merely practice more with good coaching. If you want to be a better shot then you really need to reload and shoot a lot.

No one ever made the PGA Tour by only playing Wed. Men's League and drinking beer. :supergrin:

crni4
12-25-2011, 12:57
Tiro, you are 100% correct.

However if a lot more practice is not possible ( limited resources), then i though a second (third?) possible solution may help. I say help, not solve. I have no delusions it will make me, gulp, win, but maybe break into top ten??Historically, i would finish 11-13 out of 35-40 guys shooting on any given saturday.

So, extra few bucks on subsonic ammo worth it? Any perceived difference in recoil?

Tiro Fijo
12-25-2011, 15:15
...So, extra few bucks on subsonic ammo worth it? Any perceived difference in recoil?

Practice. Here is what I personally believe to be a fantastic video by arguably the best shooter in the country, warts & all. He shows how he improves his methods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uow-WNjKKNs&feature=related

chasbo00
12-28-2011, 09:22
... i am thinking to try some subsonic 9mm ammo firts to see if that would help lower my times.

Example: georgia-arms.com

Any experiance with the company and this subdonic ammo? Would i need a lighter spring? Any other concersns?? Thanks

Nearly all 147 grain 9mm cartridges are subsonic. A 147 grain bullet with 950 feet-per-second muzzle velocity (GA's subsonic 9mm specification I think) has a power factor of 139,650. The 115 grain 9mm Federal Champion you can buy at Walmart has a manufacturer's claim of 1145 feet-per-second muzzle velocity. This gives you a power factor of 131,675. So, the 115 grain Federal Champion has nearly a six percent lower power factor than a subsonic 147 grain bullet having a muzzle velocity of 950 feet-per-second.

Subsonic, with a heavier bullet, may not mean less recoil.

However, there is an argument that can be made for the heavier bullet at a given or close power factor. It may have less perceived recoil as it is not as snappy.

If you want to give the 9mm 147 minor power factor a try, consider what the pro shooters use:

http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/MATCH_AMMO/match_ammo.html

G19aps
12-28-2011, 14:08
As chasbo00 said the reason why the competitors use the heaviest bullets at the lowest possible velocities is to make the powerfactor with less recoil. It really only applies to reloads b/c most factory subsonic is hotter than it needs to be for competition power factor.
But you have to practice to be able to truly take advantage of the lower recoil. Sounds like you want this to be a quick fix. In that case, it's not worth it.

frank4570
12-30-2011, 18:41
Sounds like you want this to be a quick fix. In that case, it's not worth it.

On the other hand, once he has equipment totally up to competition speed, the only variable left is him. And then he knows exactly what is going on.
Long story, but I do exactly the same thing with my sling practice. My "stones" are all made from concrete, perfectly round, and the same weight. So I know exactly how bad I am.:crying: