Has anyone ever found your safety disengaged on your 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever found your safety disengaged on your 1911?

jjboogie
12-25-2011, 09:33
I don't own one anymore but I had a Springfield Loaded at one time and used to carry it constantly. Even sitting with it in my car.

I remember one day going to the bathroom and then looking down and noticing the safety on that double sided version Springfield has disengaged!!!! :shocked:

I about flipped!!!

That's not the reason I sold that gun. And one day I'll buy another 1911.

Has that ever happened to you? And what was the situation?

Dalton Wayne
12-25-2011, 09:48
No.......

faawrenchbndr
12-25-2011, 09:50
Seems to be a rather common issue with the ambi-safety feature.

okie
12-25-2011, 10:29
So long as you have a good quality holster and keep your finger off the trigger if the safety did happen to go down it wouldn't be a big deal:thumbsup:

Giggity
12-25-2011, 10:30
When I make a 1911 holster I mold the body shield around the safety lever which makes it very difficult to disengage the safety while the gun is holstered.

Of course, this only works on a right handed holster, or a lefty with the ambi.

JK-linux
12-25-2011, 10:34
I had it happen once with an extended safety on a carry 1911. I removed the safety and replaced it with a standard safety. No issues since then. That was probably overkill, but I don't care about extended safeties anyhow - no loss of function for me.

faawrenchbndr
12-25-2011, 10:44
I had it happen once with an extended safety on a carry 1911. I removed the safety and replaced it with a standard safety. No issues since then. That was probably overkill, but I don't care about extended safeties anyhow - no loss of function for me.

Darn good post........

glock2740
12-25-2011, 10:48
Ditto. That's just one of the reasons that I don't like ambi's. I have a buddy who had 2 of his carry 1911's, that both had ambi's, have this happen to him several times. He finally saw the light and has since swapped all of his ambi's for single sides. Even on the 1911's that he doesn't carry.

PlasticGuy
12-25-2011, 11:10
Carrying a 1911 requires more planning and preparation than many other designs. I think it's worth it, but the fact remains.

One of the things that needs to be carefully considered is the holster. Some hang up when carrying a 1911 with front cocking serrations. Some won't work with ambi safeties or extended safeties. I match my holsters to my 1911's, and don't have problems. I have never had my safety unintentionally released on a ccw 1911.

jjboogie
12-25-2011, 11:15
For the record this happened to me in a Versa Max II. I believe it got disengaged while driving or getting in and out of my car but who knows for sure.

Officer's Match
12-25-2011, 11:54

Agree with both above.

knedrgr
12-25-2011, 12:02
I'm a lefty, therefore, I have ambis on all of my 1911s. I've been carrying 1911s on a daily basis for the pass 2+ years now. That may not be a long time, compare to some of you, but I've only had it disengaged ONCE.

Some people are also forgetting that there are TWO additional safeties; grip and trigger. So if you don't have both TS and GS disengaged, AND your finger on the trigger, then it won't go bang.

Most importantly, how that TS detent is dressed to engage with the plunger spring is also very important on having a positive lock up on the TS. A good smith can shape that TS detent engagement for a very tight lock up w/o being a pain to engage the TS.

AA#5
12-25-2011, 12:05
I don't (& wouldn't) carry a 1911, but I have handled many that had a safety that was mushy & way too easy to move, so I could see where it would be a problem.

glock2740
12-25-2011, 12:12
I don't (& wouldn't) carry a 1911, but...
Nothing after this part of the sentence really matters does it?:dunno:

Jim S.
12-25-2011, 12:20
Some people are also forgetting that there are TWO additional safeties; grip and trigger. So if you don't have both TS and GS disengaged, AND your finger on the trigger, then it won't go bang.

Not sure what you are refering to as a Trigger Safety on a 1911.
Is that on a series 80 style that you are refering to?
I consider that a drop safety more than anything else.
Press the trigger on a series 80 or a series 70 and it will shoot as long as the grip safety is engaged, and of course the thumb safety is off.
I think of a trigger safety as that which Glock has on their triggers.
The series 80 is a firing pin block, and that is for drop protection.

mrsurfboard
12-25-2011, 12:37
Yes, it's happened to me. Probably due to the seatbelt and those damn ambi safeties.

Novocaine
12-25-2011, 13:10
What you're thinking about carrying instead? Revolver?

In terms of accidental trigger pull the 1911 with disengaged safety is safer than say Glock in my book. A lot of people are comfortable carrying Glocks and such.

knedrgr
12-25-2011, 15:17
Not sure what you are refering to as a Trigger Safety on a 1911.
Is that on a series 80 style that you are refering to?
I consider that a drop safety more than anything else.
Press the trigger on a series 80 or a series 70 and it will shoot as long as the grip safety is engaged, and of course the thumb safety is off.
I think of a trigger safety as that which Glock has on their triggers.
The series 80 is a firing pin block, and that is for drop protection.

My reference has to do with te general safety of keeping your finger off the trigger, until you're about to punch paper or take out a treat.

weisse52
12-25-2011, 15:21
Yep, and as others have noted it was an ambi safety. I now only have standard non-extended on my Colts and have NEVER found it disengaged.

R0CKETMAN
12-25-2011, 18:10
I'm LH/ambi and conscious of it happening.

Jason D
12-25-2011, 18:42
It's never happened to me, but the only gun I have with an ambi safety is a Kimber Gold Match. I don't carry that. None of the others have the ambi safety.

1911Tuner
12-26-2011, 04:53
So long as you have a good quality holster and keep your finger off the trigger if the safety did happen to go down it wouldn't be a big deal:thumbsup:

This.

The thumb safety doesn't block the hammer. It only blocks the sear. As long as the pistol is holstered, the grip safety still blocks the trigger, and the half-cock is still in play.

The reason for the thumb safety wasn't for cocked and locked carry. It was for reholstering...short-term...so that a mounted cavalryman could free up both hands and regain control of a frightened, unruly horse.

cdunn
12-26-2011, 05:46
My reference has to do with te general safety of keeping your finger off the trigger, until you're about to punch paper or take out a treat.
good one

Jim S.
12-26-2011, 09:04
My reference has to do with the general safety of keeping your finger off the trigger, until you're about to punch paper or take out a threat.

That is the most important safety device on a gun.
Too bad so many people do not practice this.

B.Reid
12-26-2011, 09:26
I carried a 1911 mexican style for years and never had my safety come off.

BuckyP
12-26-2011, 10:05
When I make a 1911 holster I mold the body shield around the safety lever which makes it very difficult to disengage the safety while the gun is holstered.

Of course, this only works on a right handed holster, or a lefty with the ambi.

I don't make holsters, but this is a must have on a 1911 holster for me.

jtull7
12-26-2011, 12:24
I will not own ambis. I have proper holsters. I still check the safety to make sure it is on constantly. I have never found it off. Kimber Pro Carry II is my EDC.

Jerry
12-26-2011, 13:05
Never had it happen. Not even on my one 1911 that has an amby (my carry gun). I wouldn't “flip out” if it did, unless the palms safety was somehow depressed also. People seem to forget that the 1911 has redundant safeties. :supergrin:

glockarmor
12-29-2011, 13:01
Thumb safety yet, grip safety no.. Like everything else in life a 1911 has it's glitches but all in all I can live with them for what I get in return.. just my .02

Mayhem like Me
12-29-2011, 13:21
Yes on my TRP in a good holster..

And yes I have an AMBI because you can be shot in your strong hand ...

B.Reid
12-29-2011, 13:33
Yes on my TRP in a good holster..

And yes I have an AMBI because you can be shot in your strong hand ...

Yes but you can disengage the thumb safety with your left trigger finger.

Mayhem like Me
12-29-2011, 13:41
Sure you can try that under stress
Not to mention your breaking the proper grip on the weapon.. Which is now in your week hand ..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Zombie Steve
12-30-2011, 09:28
Has anyone ever found your safety disengaged on your 1911?

Found one in my hand with the safety disengaged once in the mountains. :supergrin: Didn't remember drawing...

I was sure it was a lion (I'd seen tracks), but it was just someone's dog running at me through the brush. Scared the hell out of me. :embarassed:

Rally Vincent
01-01-2012, 06:25
Never had a problem with it. But I also check it about a dozen times a day by just feeling for it with my thumb when I have privacy, bathroom, etc. Good habbit to develop. Ditto for the ambi saftey. I stay away from those. Two Kimbers I have came with the ambi saftey and they were top priority to replace, next to the slide stop of course.

fasteddie565
01-01-2012, 07:08
Yes, it's happened to me. Probably due to the seatbelt and those damn ambi safeties.

I carry a Kimber Ultra Super Carry and check the safety (Ambi) when I get out of the car. Its the only time I have had it happen. FWIW, I put Ambi safeties on all of my 1911's and deal with the same issue.

fasteddie565
01-01-2012, 07:12
Sure you can try that under stress
Not to mention your breaking the proper grip on the weapon.. Which is now in your week hand ..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Agreed,

If you practice to fight with your support hand, an ambi safety is a must.

Creatism
01-01-2012, 10:55
When I first started carrying I carried a full size 1911, with a cheap holster that happened a lot due to gun movement. Not that big of deal if you ask me, (the safety not the gun movement, that was an issue) the most important safety feature is your brain, switched to a good holster (crossbreed I think, I've since switched carry systems and can't remember) and it was no longer an issue!

Typed from my iPhone.

HexHead
01-01-2012, 11:10
For the record this happened to me in a Versa Max II. I believe it got disengaged while driving or getting in and out of my car but who knows for sure.

Couple of times with me and VM2s also. I'd prefer it not happen, but I'm so used to carrying Glocks, it's pretty much a non-issue to me.

Quack
01-03-2012, 09:47
yep, a couple of times.

if you are worried about the 1911 going off in the holster when the safety is flipped off, you can either switch to a single side safety, or switch guns you carry. I've never seen it as an issue if the safety flipped off, if the 1911 is working properly, then it won't go bang unless you pull the trigger.

fnfalman
01-03-2012, 17:04
yep, a couple of times.

if you are worried about the 1911 going off in the holster when the safety is flipped off, you can either switch to a single side safety, or switch guns you carry. I've never seen it as an issue if the safety flipped off, if the 1911 is working properly, then it won't go bang unless you pull the trigger.

Or get one with the firing pin safety.:wow:

3rdgen40
01-03-2012, 19:20
Or get one with the firing pin safety.:wow:
That wouldn't help unless it was dropped.

Mayhem like Me
01-03-2012, 19:47
That wouldn't help unless it was dropped.
Not true trigger must be fully depressed for a series 80 Style pistol that is properly timed to disengage... You can knock the hammer off the sear and it will not let the firing pin go forward.