Holt AL OIS (near Tuscaloosa) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holt AL OIS (near Tuscaloosa)

BamaTrooper
12-25-2011, 09:47
http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2011/12/holt_armed_robbery.html#incart_hbx

Officer hit in leg, robber hit in chest, LEO spokesman gives timeline and recap of the incident.

trdvet
12-25-2011, 09:59
LEO fine, dirtbag dead.......indeed a Merry Christmas.

ClydeG19
12-25-2011, 11:25
The article is lacking a few important facts. Was the deputy conducting a high risk stop? The distance the article referenced seems to indicate otherwise. Maybe the deputy could have saved himself a hole in the leg. Granted, I wasn't there, but this seems a situation that would warrant high risk stop procedures.

merlynusn
12-25-2011, 11:56
It sounds like the Deputy did a good job. If the Deputy is shouting at the vehicle to show their hands, I'd imagine it was a high risk stop. Even though it was conducted by himself, he was 215 yards away from the store that was robbed. I imagine he had units there within seconds.

CJStudent
12-25-2011, 11:57
Prayers for a swift recovery for the deputy!

Hack
12-25-2011, 12:19
Prayers for a swift recovery for the deputy!

Indeed!

Ajon412
12-25-2011, 12:42
Goes to show just how fast things can go "sideways"....and things don't always go as planned..There is only one person to blame for this outcome and it's the dead perp.....Good riddance...

...Prayers sent for a speedy recovery

OLY-M4gery
12-25-2011, 13:39
The article is lacking a few important facts. Was the deputy conducting a high risk stop? The distance the article referenced seems to indicate otherwise. Maybe the deputy could have saved himself a hole in the leg. Granted, I wasn't there, but this seems a situation that would warrant high risk stop procedures.

Seriously? Do you think a handgun's range is 2 car lenghts? But somehow the bullets won't go 4 car lenghts?

What prevents a suspect from getting out of the car and shooting at the cops during a high risk traffic stop?

Ajon412
12-25-2011, 14:09
Seriously? Do you think a handgun's range is 2 car lenghts? But somehow the bullets won't go 4 car lenghts?

What prevents a suspect from getting out of the car and shooting at the cops during a high risk traffic stop?

This was my point as well...All the planning goes out the window in a situation where the BG decides what direction the encounter is going to go...HE chose to exit the vehicle with a gun in hand, HE chose not to listen to LE commands, HE chose to shoot it out with the Police, HE chose to get shot and HE died as a result of HIS actions...It's really that simple...

ClydeG19
12-25-2011, 14:39
I did put in my original post "granted, I wasn't there..." I know things can go sideways and there isn't always time to use proper tactics in a given scenario. But yeah, Oly, if the deputy was tucked into his car as taught in a proper high risk stop, a bullet to the leg is pretty unlikely. It has nothing to do with the range.

TBO
12-25-2011, 14:50
Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

packsaddle
12-25-2011, 15:54
a near perfect outcome.

prayers for the leo, family, and friends.

alba666
12-25-2011, 17:05
The location in question is about 1 mi north of the April 27th tornado track at the east end of the 4 lane Jack Warner parkway that runs from downtown Tuscaloosa. The area is a lower income area about 1 mile outside the city limits. It is economically depressed from the tornado's impact.

I am not surprised by the short response time since all departments with tornado track jurisdiction have increased presence to stem property crime.

I am also not shocked by the outcome. Sheriff Ted Sexton runs a tight ship and invests in training and equipment. It helps that he was the with DHS during the W's administration. While I don't agree with his pistol permit policies, in general he is a good guy.

Also, the Sheriff is running for Probate Judge. Here, the Probate judge is the County Executive (think like Mayor of a city). So, good PR spin is important to election politics.

Real women have real bodies with lotsa curves so I can hug'em really tight and not get bruises!

Patchman
12-25-2011, 19:35
Also, the Sheriff is running for Probate Judge. Here, the Probate judge is the County Executive (think like Mayor of a city). So, good PR spin is important to election politics.

While I don't know anything about the sheriff, his political agendas, the community or any of the backstory, I'd guess from reading the article that the paper supports him. That was definitely a very, very positive spin (how relevant to the story is how quickly the first 2 cars got to the store?!?) on how well his guys did (and thus a reflection on the sheriff himself).

Just saying. :supergrin:

Patchman
12-25-2011, 19:36
Prayers to the deputy for a quick and full recovery.

Deployment Solu
12-25-2011, 21:44
Prayers for the Deputy. Great job!!

glockurai
12-26-2011, 00:43
Prayers for the officer. Let's hope we don't lose anymore this year. December has been a bad month. Still wearing my mourning band.

OLY-M4gery
12-26-2011, 00:58
I did put in my original post "granted, I wasn't there..." I know things can go sideways and there isn't always time to use proper tactics in a given scenario. But yeah, Oly, if the deputy was tucked into his car as taught in a proper high risk stop, a bullet to the leg is pretty unlikely. It has nothing to do with the range.

From the news report.

There was a robbery, and a suspect was id'ed.

The deputy went to the suspect's house, and saw a vehicle leaving.

The deputy initiated a traffic stop on the vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------

Did the deputy know exactly who was in the car?
How many other people live at that house?
Was it the suspect's vehicle?

I'm not sure what the cars you are driving are made out of, but most around here are mostly sheetmetal. They are NOT cover. The one main exception being the engine block, which is actually pretty small compared to the rest of the car.

Also, if the suspect got out, and the deputy was having trouble "tracking" him, it would be a good time to get out to engage the armed suspect.

Staying tucked behind cover is a good idea, unless it interferes with your ability to engage a target that needs immediate attention.