Looking for a light load for G23 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a light load for G23

gregs
12-25-2011, 21:34
Hey guys i'm wondering if anyone has a recipe for a light load for the 40 s&w. I want to use a slow burning powder, no preferences on bullet weight. This is for range practice and I just want something that's very safe and easy on the brass. I will be shooting this out of my G23 with factory barrel. I will be using FMJ bullets.

Thanks!

robin303
12-25-2011, 22:20
I have tested 9 differant powders and found a fun light load for my 23.
Clays 3.8 grains with a 155 Berry's boolit tested with my chrono at an average of 823 to 826 FPS. It is truly a mouse fart load. When the sun is setting you can actually see the boolit go down range.

gregs
12-25-2011, 22:50
thanks for the reply but i think clays is a fast burning powder and i want a load with a very slow burning powder. I'm trying to keep the pressure spike as low as i can get it.

dvrdwn72
12-25-2011, 22:54
5.4 power pistol, 180 grain. I like tite group better at 3.8 grain, 180 grain bullet. Bit tg is a faster powder.

vasconic
12-26-2011, 00:22
WSF or Unique shoot well in 180 grains. You never mentioned the bullet weight you want to use so I just assume you will use 180 grainers. I get better accuracy around 6.0 to 6.2 grains in either but YMMV.

Vasconic

Boxerglocker
12-26-2011, 01:03
thanks for the reply but i think clays is a fast burning powder and i want a load with a very slow burning powder. I'm trying to keep the pressure spike as low as i can get it.

Sorry to tell you but your being completely contradicting... light loads... fast powders and heavy bullets are the key. 180 fmjs and Titegroup starting at about 3.5 will bring a smile to your face running out of your stock G23 :supergrin

tjpet
12-26-2011, 02:08
3.8grs. WST w/180gr. bullet of your choice. Perfection from every angle.

shotgunred
12-26-2011, 06:16
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/ammunition_40lite_091806/

Look at the power pistol load.

WiskyT
12-26-2011, 13:46
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/ammunition_40lite_091806/

Look at the power pistol load.

That article is an example of what gunrags should be producing. The only caveat I would put on it is to load in small batches, like 10, to try a given load out. The 3.0 Bullseye with a 180 cast that I tried worked, but it didn't obturate the cases in my Beretta 96, so I went up to 3.5.

gregs
12-27-2011, 16:49
Sorry to tell you but your being completely contradicting... light loads... fast powders and heavy bullets are the key. 180 fmjs and Titegroup starting at about 3.5 will bring a smile to your face running out of your stock G23 :supergrin

Sorry I wasnt being clear, my only aim is to use a powder/ bullet combo that will be low pressure on the brass to give me the absolute lowest probability of a kb.

WiskyT
12-27-2011, 16:54
Sorry I wasnt being clear, my only aim is to use a powder/ bullet combo that will be low pressure on the brass to give me the absolute lowest probability of a kb.

A 10% reduction in powder charge results in a 20% reduction in pressure. ASSume max loads listed in manuals are 35kpsi for the 40. Then reduce that by 20% for each 10% reduction in powder and you will see that you will be so far below max pressure that you don't need to worry about it.

The only way you'll KB your gun is if you put more powder in than you intended to. this involves human error which no KB "victim" will ever own up to. If you are using 3.5 Bullseye with a 180, you are talking about roughly 18kpsi.

shotgunred
12-27-2011, 17:45
Power pistol
WSF
Win 231

I like all three with 180 gr.

sourdough44
12-29-2011, 04:13
My powder puff load for the 40 is right at 5.1-5.2 grns Universal & a 165 grn plated bullet. Cycles fine & easy on everything.

fredj338
12-29-2011, 06:42
A 10% reduction in powder charge results in a 20% reduction in pressure. ASSume max loads listed in manuals are 35kpsi for the 40. Then reduce that by 20% for each 10% reduction in powder and you will see that you will be so far below max pressure that you don't need to worry about it.

The only way you'll KB your gun is if you put more powder in than you intended to. this involves human error which no KB "victim" will ever own up to. If you are using 3.5 Bullseye with a 180, you are talking about roughly 18kpsi.
Careful WT, that is nota universal formula. It would be completely dependanton the powder used, so 10% for 20%, MAYBE. You are right, the nut running the machine is responsible for the amount of powder that goes in the case, but using a bulky powder that fills half or more certainly helps verify the charge.
What boxer says is true, running most bulky medium powders too slow causes low pressure issues. So if you want a low vel loads, then you need to go to a faster powder, just stick w/ something bulky like WST or RedDot. Clays falls into that, but Clays MUST be used at the low end, it pressures spikes as it nears the very top end, which isn't all that high a vel. I would probably stick to Unique for moderate, but no low vel 40s. Bulky & accurate, just keep it above midrange.:wavey:

gregs
01-01-2012, 09:32
Just an update, I went with Accurate #7 and Hornady 155 grain bullets. Lee recommends a starting 9 grains to max of 10 grains. I loaded 50 rounds split between 8.2, 8.4, 8.6, 8.8, and 9 grains. They all cycled just fine with no pressure signs on the cases. the 8.2 was like shooting a tame 9mm and it cycled with no problems so i think that's what i'm going to go with for now.

WiskyT
01-01-2012, 09:42
Careful WT, that is nota universal formula. It would be completely dependanton the powder used, so 10% for 20%, MAYBE. You are right, the nut running the machine is responsible for the amount of powder that goes in the case, but using a bulky powder that fills half or more certainly helps verify the charge.
What boxer says is true, running most bulky medium powders too slow causes low pressure issues. So if you want a low vel loads, then you need to go to a faster powder, just stick w/ something bulky like WST or RedDot. Clays falls into that, but Clays MUST be used at the low end, it pressures spikes as it nears the very top end, which isn't all that high a vel. I would probably stick to Unique for moderate, but no low vel 40s. Bulky & accurate, just keep it above midrange.:wavey:

The 20% pressure reduction is close enough to constant to be considered a usable formula. Lee has tested it extensivley and writes about it in his book. I don't remember, but I think there is some limitation using slow rifle powders at very reduced loads wherein the pressure drops more dramatically that he writes about.