Concentricity / Neck Turning [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concentricity / Neck Turning

Zombie Steve
12-26-2011, 09:40
I got a $50 gift cert to Cabela's. I might buy some Sierra Gamekings, but I'm tinkering with the idea of turning necks for certain rifle loads (something I don't do now). Knowing I don't have match chambers or anything, how much do you think it will make a difference? How about Hornady's concentricity tool? Utilitarian gizmo or what? The neck turner they have is RCBS (buy the pilot separately).

I get to shoot rifle out to about 500 yards a few times a year, but 200 any old time. I'm happy with the loads I have, but better consistency always appeals to me.

Thoughts?

GioaJack
12-26-2011, 10:11
Bullet runout is the age old gremlin of group flyers... those time when you beg for a mulligan because the sun got in your eyes.

While neck turning probably won't have much, if any positive effect with a semi it can can dramatic effects in a bolt, especially at the longer ranges.

Besides, what else do you have to do with your spare time... your beautiful wife won't let you put your hands on her.

(Oh, by the way, tell her I got her message and yes, I can meet her at that place in Castle Rock at 11 PM on New Years Eve. :whistling:

Jack

Zombie Steve
12-26-2011, 10:18
The loads would be for my '06 and .308 bolt guns.

Nicole is too much for you... forget it.

Colorado4Wheel
12-26-2011, 10:21
Today and Today only. You can have my wife. PLEASE come take her away from this place.

GioaJack
12-26-2011, 10:33
Once Nicole is with me she'll never be satisfied with a lesser man... she'll throw rocks at you.

As for Little Stevie, as much as I'm always willing to help friends, I have my limits. I do believe I'd stand a better chance taking a Q-Tip to a gun fight.

I attribute your situation on lack of initial training... I'll write a book on the JOYS OF MARITAL BLISS, and sell you an autographed copy.

Jack

Zombie Steve
12-26-2011, 10:39
Nicole says you should troll Walmart or Golden Corral. It would be a little more your speed.

Now who here turns their case necks and / or has used the Hornady concentricity tool?

Colorado4Wheel
12-26-2011, 10:42
Not me.

GioaJack
12-26-2011, 11:01
Nicole says you should troll Walmart or Golden Corral. It would be a little more your speed.

Now who here turns their case necks and / or has used the Hornady concentricity tool?

Hey, read the first response, nimrod... neck turning will help a proficient shooter, assuming quality projectiles and a reasonably accurate rifle.

In your case however I think it's be a waste of money and time since the best group you're capable of it a man hole cover size at 75 yards... off a bench with dead calm conditions.

Did you ever think of taking up knitting?

If you don;t believe me ask that little Munchkin, Hozer.

Jack

dkf
12-26-2011, 11:47
I have watched these videos a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDrbA0rhGj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZEas38vkKg

Looks to me like with the Hornady gage if you have a bur on the rim of your brass it will throw off the reading.

If I ever get to a point where I'm really concerned with concentricity I was just thinking of using a Comparator Indicator stand with an AGD indicator and a precision Vee block. All three will cost more than a concentricity gage from RCBS or Hornady however it will be more accurate and can be used for many other things. In the shop when we check for runout (off machine) we use a surface plate, an indicator and a precision vee block. The indicator stand, indicator and Vee block are the poor mans version of that.

sig357fan
12-26-2011, 11:53
Iím using a Forster outside neck turner on 308 Win. and 223 Rem., it uses a mandrel just under bullet dia. with an adjustable cutter used on the neck O.D.

The mandrel has a ridge on it so the brass can only side up on it so far, the other end of the mandrel is of smaller dia. and is held in the cutter body with a set screw, in this way you can adjust how much of the length of the neck is cut, be sure to set the mandrel so as to cut just shy of where the shoulder of the brass meets the neck.

Cutter is held in place by a set screw but has a knob to adjust for depth of cut, feeding the brass into the cutter is done hand,.

I fire form, trim, chamfer the I.D., and chamfer the flash hole of my brass before turning the necks, I use a little sizing wax on the mandrel every few pieces of brass to keep it turning smoothly.

Depending on the neck thickness, I usually turn twice, first time to clean up about ĺ of the O.D., second time to clean up most if not all of the O.D., been able to get very consistent thickness on LC 70 brass.

And like Jack said, it makes a difference on a reasonably accurate rifle with well tailored loads.

sig357fan

Hoser
12-26-2011, 13:20
Turning necks is a very painful and mind numbing chore. However it is also a one time bad deal.

It might help you a bit at long (>600 yards) range but inside of that the nut behind the scope is more important.

If you do decide to turn necks, consider just taking off the high spots. Be sure to go into the shoulder a touch to eliminate the chance of creating a donut. I will leave that one wide open for a comment from Grandpa Jack.

When you start turning necks you start down a path of bushing dies, concentricity gauges, ect.

I use a Nielson and KKM neck turner.

Zombie Steve
12-26-2011, 13:25
Turning necks is a very painful and mind numbing chore. However it is also a one time bad deal.

It might help you a bit at long (>600 yards) range but inside of that the nut behind the scope is more important.

If you do decide to turn necks, consider just taking off the high spots. Be sure to go into the shoulder a touch to eliminate the chance of creating a donut. I will leave that one wide open for a comment from Grandpa Jack.

When you start turning necks you start down a path of bushing dies, concentricity gauges, ect.

I use a Nielson and KKM neck turner.

OK, so in your opinion, is it a waste of time and gift card getting the Hornady concentricity tool? I know it doesn't uniform the necks, but it will at least straighten things out a tad.

That's where I am right now - spend the gift card on that or buy bullets.

:dunno:

GioaJack
12-26-2011, 13:29
Put the card toward a RCBS Pro Melt pot, you'll use it more.

Jack

Hoser
12-26-2011, 13:49
Yup. Bullets of a new pot.

When you rebarrel your 308, then look into stuff like neck turning.

DanaT
12-26-2011, 19:15
My wife wont let me melt lead in the house....

-Dana

GioaJack
12-26-2011, 20:11
My wife wont let me melt lead in the house....

-Dana

Does the term 'WHIPPED' ring a bell? :whistling:

Shut up you guys... everyone was itching to say the same thing. Wussies.

Jack

DanaT
12-26-2011, 20:55
Does the term 'WHIPPED' ring a bell? :whistling:

Shut up you guys... everyone was itching to say the same thing. Wussies.

Jack

No. Its called scared. Much different.

-Dana