"ThugFindr?" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "ThugFindr?"

w01
12-26-2011, 20:51
ThugFindr story (http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story/Thug-FindIR-helps-police-corner-suspects/reMczBk450KIA5uv_m0F3Q.cspx)

Interesting name - Also, notice the banner on the screen of the video - "ThugFindr can spot a person up to 800 miles away"

Wow!

FiremanMike
12-27-2011, 08:17
Thermal Imaging has been around in the Fire Department for years now. It has some great advantages, but also some great limitations. More than once, I have realized I was completely lost within a building because I was focusing on the IR, it attracts and keeps your focus and can easily absorb quite a bit of your attention.

In law enforcement, I can see it being very valuable for a quick peek down a long hallway or into a dark corner, but to move into a building focusing solely on the IR can and will get officers hurt.

collim1
12-27-2011, 08:41
I have used a FLIR on a few occasions to find suspects who fled into a wooded area and laid down. I agree it can be dangerous to focus on the FLIR and not your surroundings.

One person runs the dog, one with a FLIR and two cover officers is ideal, especially in a high risk fleeing case.

One time the dog kept running circles in a particular area, but we never located the suspect. I waited on the FLIR for an hour while we maintained the permiter. The FLIR showed his heat signature, and I found him dug in, buried himself under three feet of dirt, leaves, and sticks with an air hole for him breathe out of.