Do I really need a 6 inch barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a 6 inch barrel?

spray-n-pray
12-26-2011, 23:23
Is a 6 six barrel for my 10mm really needed or can I use a stock barrel for hunting and hiking? Or will I lose alot of needed power? Help a newbie please!

TDC20
12-27-2011, 00:05
I will give you my opinion on this. A standard G20 barrel (4.6") develops plenty of velocity and energy with the right ammo to cleanly take game up to deer sized animals, no problem.

If you are a handloader like me, you will find that you can load hot but reasonable loads (i.e, no glock smiles or flat primers) that develop significantly more velocity and energy out of a 6" barrel vs. a stock 4.6" barrel. To give you an idea, same load of 135gr. Nosler JHP, 1580fps/748ft-lbs from stock G20 barrel, 1718fps/885ft-lbs from 6" LWD barrel. For a 180gr XTP, same load, 1296fps/671ft-lbs from stock G20, 1401fps/785ft-lbs from LWD 6" barrel.

Do you need the extra velocity and energy? That is the question you have to answer for your own needs. I would prefer to load my ammo with plenty of safety margin so that it shoots out of the stock G20 barrel with no issues, and then if I need the extra power, I can use the 6" barrel for hunting. I would rather get the extra power using the 6" barrel than trying to go nuclear with my handloads in a stock barrel (not advised). Just my opinion.

21Carrier
12-27-2011, 00:42
I doubt you'll NEED the extra barrel length, unless you're trying to take on some seriously large animals. For hunting deer, and protection from anything up to and including black bear/mountain lion, you will be fine stock. If you HAD to use the G20 as a grizzly bear protection device, I would go with the longer barrel and the hottest WFNGC bullets it would reliably shoot.

Now, if you want an ACCURACY advantage, you could always go with a long slide. That gives you the 6" barrel, but with a correspondingly longer sight radius for better accuracy.

tlen
12-27-2011, 07:50
If you're considering an aftermarket barrel get the 6" to take full advantage of the 10mm. I did and don't see any downside.

nickE10mm
12-27-2011, 07:54
Is a 6 six barrel for my 10mm really needed or can I use a stock barrel for hunting and hiking? Or will I lose alot of needed power? Help a newbie please!

You don't NEED it, no. Lots of people have killed deer with a stock G20 with (gasp) FACTORY hollowpoints at medium 10mm velocities. They have worked fine. Shot placement is more important than a few extra FPS.

That being said, I hunt with a 6" Fusion 1911 because I want to stack all of the advantages in my favor when hunting with this cartridge. More velocity, if nothing else, will give you a longer effective range and less bullet drop at that range.

Good luck!

leeward419
12-27-2011, 08:36
For a 180gr XTP, same load, 1296fps/671ft-lbs from stock G20
What powder do you use for this load, Is it 800x?
I hvae been using blue dot to get into the 1200 FPS range, going to try some AA9 or Longshot next, just curious what folks are using.
The fusion 10mm is a beautiful pistol! Didi you build it yourself or have a gunsmith do it for you?

Gunnut80
12-27-2011, 09:34

IIRC, some states require a 5" or longer barrel to legally use a handgun for hunting, so depending on the laws where you intend to hunt it may be needed to stay legal.

alwaysshootin
12-27-2011, 10:12
IIRC, some states require a 5" or longer barrel to legally use a handgun for hunting, so depending on the laws where you intend to hunt it may be needed to stay legal.

I honestly believe, this, to be the reason most choose the 6" barrel for hunting. I know here in Ohio, there is a 5" minimum requirement, and, believe it or not, back 4 or 5 years ago, the only option, that was affordable, was the 6" from Lone Wolf. The barrel was available before their slides were. It wasn't until the tactical length slide was out, that the 5.15" barrel hit the market.

There is no doubt, with the longer the barrel, the more performance you will get out of any particular round. I also have no doubt that the factory barrel is more than adequate for hunting purposes.

Another reason I own the LW barrel is I like to shoot my G20 more than any other of my firearms. If all I could run, is jacketed bullets, my shooting would be diminished substantially! Having owned 3 different G20's, none, could lead be shot through! So for the purpose of shooting lead alone, makes it worthwhile to own an after market barrel, and, if you are going to purchase an after market barrel, to shoot lead through, why not get one that will add performance?

Gunnut80
12-28-2011, 10:48
I know here in Ohio, there is a 5" minimum requirement

Thank you, I knew I had read that on here before . . .

alwaysshootin
12-28-2011, 11:40
Thank you, I knew I had read that on here before . . .

Heck the laws for handgun hunting have changed numerous times here in Ohio. When we first got handgun hunting, the law stated "revolver" was the only allowable handgun. Now we can use any caliber 357 or larger, and the only real constriction is a minimum of 5" barrel length. Even a 1911 in 45 ACP is legal, just don't know anyone that hunts with one!:supergrin:

MichiGun Hunter
12-28-2011, 11:41
I agree the 6" isn't necessary. Many, including myself, have taken whitetail with the stock barrel. Using a G20 with factory Corbon 135gr JHP at 15-20 yards i took a good sized Michigan doe. She went about 30 inches..... straight to her *****!!! But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get one either. Have an extra $125? Sure why not? If not, don't sweat it, the stock will treat you just fine. There are advantages already mentioned in posts above using the 6". Although none that i feel are going to make the difference between kill and no-kill. For example, with a well placed shot using 180gr XTP's, i don't think the deer/boar/blackbear/or whatever is gonna be able to give much feedback whether its going 1000 fps or 1350 fps. With or without the 6" barrel.... it's still a Glock 10mm!!!!!!!

FWIW... I just got one off of GBroker a few days ago... Not because i (or the G20) needed it by any means... Just WANTED it!

kgjl
12-30-2011, 07:01
This is an interesting thread.
It makes me wonder, how much velocity is lost on the even shorter barrels of the G29?

arushus
12-30-2011, 11:57
This is an interesting thread.
It makes me wonder, how much velocity is lost on the even shorter barrels of the G29?

the difference between the G20 and G29 velocities is typically 50-100fps.

alwaysshootin
12-30-2011, 16:09
the difference between the G20 and G29 velocities is typically 50-100fps.

That's one of the reasons I went 20/21 exclusively! With the 29/30, I felt it necessary to have the Scherer mag extension to make the firearm comfortable to shoot. Allowing room for all three fingers below the trigger finger, to be on the grip. When you measure the grip height with the extensions, it made no sense to me to go with either of the compacts over the full sized model. Especially when you consider the longer sighting plain, and greater velocity achieved. At least in my thinking.

nickE10mm
12-30-2011, 17:36
That's one of the reasons I went 20/21 exclusively! With the 29/30, I felt it necessary to have the Scherer mag extension to make the firearm comfortable to shoot. Allowing room for all three fingers below the trigger finger, to be on the grip. When you measure the grip height with the extensions, it made no sense to me to go with either of the compacts over the full sized model. Especially when you consider the longer sighting plain, and greater velocity achieved. At least in my thinking.

That, and the ability to ad a longer barrel or slide!

Peter M. Eick
12-31-2011, 15:39
You don't need a 6" barrel, but a 6.5" is better!

That is if you put it with a S&W 610!

glock20c10mm
12-31-2011, 15:47
You do NOT need a 6" accessory barrel.

That said, IMO, they are well worth having and carrying when they aren't a hindrance. Not so much for target shooting except when your goal is more/less the greatest explosion possible. But for when you want maximum energy transfer downrange when protecting yourself from whatever adversary may come along.