Enough space?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Enough space??

utah
12-27-2011, 08:48
Need a little help. Getting ready to move into a new house and will have a little more room to spread my reloading gear out. I’m going to build a new bench as the ones (yes that’s plural) I was using were different heights and widths. Needless to say the space wasn’t used as efficiently as possible. I’m thinking an area 36”x24” for each press, that way I’ll have more than enough room to get to all side of the press without bumping into the other press. I don’t think I’ll need that much room and here’s where I need the help. (2) Of the presses get used year round (XL-650 and SL-900), (2) about once a month (XL-650 and Forster Co-Ax) and the remaining (2) once or twice a year (Spolar and MEC Size Master). With the 650 and 900 the loaded rounds are dropped into a bucket under the bench, this frees up some space on the right side of the press by eliminating the cartridge bin. The last (2) Spolar and MEC I think I’ll mount those on one end and maybe keep the MEC under the table and move them as needed. So what do you guys and gals think…enough space or too much? As always, thanks for the help.

XDRoX
12-27-2011, 09:08
I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking. :dunno:

Are you asking if 36" is a wide enough space for each press? If so then my answer would be yes, plenty.

I think 2' is ample room for most presses although I'm not familiar with shotgun presses.

fredj338
12-27-2011, 09:35
I loaded in college in a caot closet, so you don't need a lot of room. Now I have a 12' bench w/ 3 presses & it seems small, plus a spearate bench for bullet casting/sizing. So go with as much bench space as possible.

unclebob
12-27-2011, 10:53
Since everyone load in a different way and equipment used it would be hard to say. I would get some tables or other ways and clamp the press on the table then figure out on what spacing you need. Keep in mind of wad and hull buckets. Case prep, powder measures etc. If you are using the bench for gun cleaning etc.? What other equipment that you may want to add in the future? Are you going to have cabinets in the back of the reloading bench? Also other things to think about are overhead lighting and outlets.

utah
12-27-2011, 10:59
Sorry I wasn’t clear the first time. Yes that’s what I’m asking, as mentioned current set-up is not ideal and I want to fix that. I’ll have 90% of an unfinished basement to build my reloading room, which I already have plans for, however I don’t have the bench planned out yet, only want to do it one time…buy once, cry once. The SL-900 has a bigger area than the Spolar and is roughly the size of a XL-650.

Fred…did the same thing during school although it wasn’t a closet…dining room table with the gear being stored in the closet. Also since you mentioned your 12 footer doesn’t seem big enough I would like to avoid that.

utah
12-27-2011, 11:38
Unclebob,

Wads and hulls are kept on shelves around the room. Have a roll cabinet toolbox that is my gun cleaning/repair station that also triples as a holding area for various items I use while loading…roll the cabinet within arm’s reach, when I’m finished back against the wall. Lighting and outlets are covered. I have a bunch of tool heads with covers that I’m undecided if I want them in cabinets or not…thoughts? Current case prep is clean, size, load, and repeat…just punching holes in pumpkins, cans, TV’s and the occasional car. However this is going to change as I recently purchased a 308 bolt gun for some long range work. I’ll use one of my existing tables as a standalone case prep area as the media gets into places that I have no idea how it happened. Powder measure will be mounted close to the Forster to ease some of the headache of loading single stage.

unclebob
12-27-2011, 12:38
Unclebob,

Wads and hulls are kept on shelves around the room. Have a roll cabinet toolbox that is my gun cleaning/repair station that also triples as a holding area for various items I use while loading…roll the cabinet within arm’s reach, when I’m finished back against the wall. Lighting and outlets are covered. I have a bunch of tool heads with covers that I’m undecided if I want them in cabinets or not…thoughts? Current case prep is clean, size, load, and repeat…just punching holes in pumpkins, cans, TV’s and the occasional car. However this is going to change as I recently purchased a 308 bolt gun for some long range work. I’ll use one of my existing tables as a standalone case prep area as the media gets into places that I have no idea how it happened. Powder measure will be mounted close to the Forster to ease some of the headache of loading single stage.
Wads and hulls are not on the shelves when loading. Like when I load shotgun I have a ben of hulls on the left and wads on the right. So I taking up 2' to 3' feet, with the press in the middle. I also have a piece of PVC with a 90 degree on the bottom that the finished rounds go down and into a pan that I got when my wife was in the hospital.

unclebob
12-27-2011, 12:48
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377011&highlight=shotgun
check this out it might give you some ideas.

utah
12-27-2011, 13:28
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377011&highlight=shotgun
check this out it might give you some ideas.

I knew I'd seen the set-up I was interested in...thanks a bunch!!!