Is this a good starter kit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good starter kit?

Whiskey Six
12-27-2011, 13:08
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme from Cabela's.

I would like to start reloading. .308 ammo is pretty expensive and I usually shoot three or four boxes at a time. Working up some accurate loads would be nice. I would also like to reload 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP pistol cartridges. I know nothing about reloading and don't want to spend a small fortune getting started.

Thank you.

Zombie Steve
12-27-2011, 13:13
Excellent start. You may one day graduate to a turret or progressive for the pistol rounds as they can get a bit tedious on a single stage, but fwiw, I started with a rockchucker and still load all of my rifle on it (and most pistol too, the exception being .45 auto).

Can I also recommend you get a good set of calipers and a 3-ring binder for recording all of your loads / targets. Another manual can't hurt (I like Lyman 49) and plenty of Varget to feed the .308.

:thumbsup:

WiskyT
12-27-2011, 13:40
It's a good press and the 5-0-5 scale is the best there is. I don't know why it has a hand priming tool when the press has a primer tool built into it. The handprimer is arguably more convenient, but not actually needed.

If you are loading for a bolt gun, the Lee collet dies are the way to go IMO and don;t need lube. Carbide pistol dies don't need lube either, so you don't need the lube pad, but it probably adds little cost to the kit and may come in handy some day.

Anyway, it's quality stuff and the only real consideration is if you could save a few bucks by shopping around at places like Wideners MidwayUSA.

Colorado4Wheel
12-27-2011, 13:57
I priced it out one day and you couldn't buy the press and just a couple of the items that you need for the price of the kit. Especially if they are still offering the rebate.

Sparky26
12-27-2011, 14:12
I've used the Lee Challenger kit from Cabelas with good results reloading .38 spl, .380, & .223. The carbide pistol dies do not require lube (rifle dies do), & they have a breech lock which allows you to set each die once, & it remains at that setting.
I'm not a competition shooter, but it serves my purpose well.
I like the idea of a single stage press to start - less chance of screwing up.

Zombie Steve
12-27-2011, 14:19
Oh yeah... you'll want a case trimmer for the .308. I have a Lyman, and the ability to hook up your power drill to it is a huge plus.

Then there's a brass tumbler and media... you sure you want to do it?

Kidding.

Zombie Steve
12-27-2011, 14:20
And by the way... we're all full up to the top with Steves in here, bout time we got a new Whisk(e)y. :whistling:

unclebob
12-27-2011, 14:59
Remember if you by 300.00 of RCBS products you get a 50.00 mail in rebate. But time is running out.