$2,400 plus, KSG [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : $2,400 plus, KSG

aippi
12-27-2011, 17:36
Yep. that is what the first one to hit gun broker sold for. Now the guy has shipping, his ffl and maybe sales tax. All that for an unproven weapon with a dealer cost of $595 and an MSRP of around $850. This is what happens when this mess is blown up with hype on gun blogs and in advertising. I hope the fool that bought it loves it and it runs like a swiss watch for him 'cause he sure is stuck with it.

Airborne Infantryman
12-27-2011, 17:42
WOW! :shocked::faint:

Well, I hope he's happy with his purchase. I'll stick with my proven 870 and Mossy 500.

I'll pick up a KSG in a year or so as long as prices are down, and the bugs are worked out. Even then, it'll be a range toy. If something goes bump in the night, my 870 is what I'm grabbing.

aippi
12-27-2011, 18:01
Now dealers are listing them and another is up to $2,200 already. Damn fools is all I can say.

Glockdude1
12-27-2011, 18:20
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266959014

Listed, but no takers............yet.

:rofl:

aippi
12-27-2011, 18:48
I mised that and though there was a bid. That dealer is a thief to start an $850 MSRP weapon out at $2,200. He is the kind that will be selling bottles of water for $10 after a natural disaster.

Airborne Infantryman
12-27-2011, 18:58
I mised that and though there was a bid. That dealer is a thief to start an $850 MSRP weapon out at $2,200. He is the kind that will be selling bottles of water for $10 after a natural disaster.

I agree. Well, its his business, so I suppose he can sell it for what he wants. I will say that I am more apt to call the people bidding on the gun for those prices idiots, more-so than I'll call the seller an idiot for selling the gun for that much.

RedneckRampage
12-27-2011, 19:45
Besides knowing nothing about them, those things are ugly!! Paint it orange and purple and it would pass as a Nerf toy gun. I wouldn't trade a $200 870 for that thing.

PeaceKeeper
12-27-2011, 20:03
That is crazy! I would like to have one, but for about $350 maybe.

jamesbern
12-27-2011, 20:07
Wow! I'll take a SCAR please for that money. Some people just don't have the patience to wait.

JK-linux
12-27-2011, 20:07
I'll look for a used one in a year or so after the recall.

aippi
12-27-2011, 20:11
I did not call the seller an idiot. I called him a thief.

aippi
12-27-2011, 20:12
I'll look for a used one in a year or so after the recall.

Best comment on the KSG I have read on any gun blog.

Airborne Infantryman
12-27-2011, 20:37

Listed, but no takers............yet.

Check again. Someone bought it outright for $2300......:faint:

Someones Credit Card is smoldering right now. :rofl:

Have fun, dude. :rofl:

raven11
12-27-2011, 21:19

somewhere the thought had to cross his mind

four Mossburg 930 spx, or maybe one tacticool Benelli M4

Keltec KSG - first shotgun made by a company that its warrenty only covers the first the first owner, and is being sold wayy above MSRP, and has a spotty reliablity and recalls are the pun of the gun world

--- yes I will take the Kel-tec

Glockdude1
12-27-2011, 21:33

The buyer will hate himself later for that purchase......

CAcop
12-27-2011, 22:00
I remember when Xboxes first came out. Same thing.

Sharkey
12-27-2011, 22:08
Wow, you've started 2 threads and posted in another. I don't understand the big deal? Free market is determining the price. How is that a bad thing?

I already stated I wouldn't buy one at that price but for for $700? Sure.

How much were those Tickle me Elmos or Cabbage Patch Dolls at Christmas time when Toys R Us were sold out of them?

My only complaint is that I don't have that much extra cash to blow on toys.

I'm not sure the seller is a thief as much as he is a smart businessman. Buy 3 at dealer pricing, sell 2 for 4X the original price and the 3rd one is free. :supergrin:

aippi
12-27-2011, 22:23
I don't think like that and I am a Dealer. I see things different and those dealers are stealers. It is not OK to take advantage of the stupidity of people. I could do that several times a week and I do not. I take pride in that. I gues you just can't understand a guy like me Sharkey.

VZ1600
12-27-2011, 22:23
Wow, you've started 2 threads and posted in another. I don't understand the big deal?

I was thinking the same thing. The man seems to be taking the whole KSG thing personal.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Big Bird
12-27-2011, 23:08
I was thinking the same thing. The man seems to be taking the whole KSG thing personal.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

At least it provides him an opportunity to tell us how ethical he is...:yawn:

Of course now we understand how stupid he thinks other people are and of course he takes every opportunity to point it out....:upeyes:

aippi
12-27-2011, 23:11
Yes I do big bird. It is my mission. You can thank me later. And a simple search in your google with the words "Custom Tactical Shotgun" will show me number one on page one. No optimizing or what ever they call it of my web site. No paid google ads mess. Number one because my clients put me there with traffic and referals. Because I don't treat them stupid and the ones that do not know about these weapons don't get ripped off. They get the truth about shotguns and they get the one that fits their need. So, you guys keep coming with the flip comments. Others read and heed and don't fall into this Tacti-fool mess that is so much of the market today. And this KSG and the idiots that are paying so much for them proves the point that there is to much foolishness out there. And, no I am not talking about your Big Bird, I read all your post and you are one of the guys on here that gets it right so I am not talking about you. In fact I am a little surprised at your cheap shot, not like you at all.

Angry Fist
12-27-2011, 23:17
I could send my Saiga off to Tromix for less than that!

Sharkey
12-28-2011, 09:48
Double the firepower in a more compact package would seem to fit my needs for HD very well as well as my prior patrol needs. How is that "tacti-fool"?

Lots of folks seem to be drinking the hater-ade on KelTec. The 1K Q is: Does it work?

Maybe we can get those guys that overpaid to run the KSG thru the paces.
So besides old school Mossberg and Remingtons (no doubt a proven design and I have 2 myself) there should be no new designs in the shotgun market?

Maybe a novel idea but perhaps you could call KelTec and tell them how your website is at the top of custom shotgun searches and you would like one to demo to run against an 870P. You can get your LE customers in AZ to try it and see what they think?

akgunnut
12-28-2011, 10:56
I wouldn't pay that much for a pump action shotgun no matter how "tacti-cool" it looks or how many rounds it holds. I may pick one up when the price goes down and the hype dies down. The design sounds good in theory but I'm going to wait until the KSG has had a chance to prove itself. I could arm all my friends with 870s for 2,400 dollars.

raven11
12-28-2011, 11:34
Lots of folks seem to be drinking the hater-ade on KelTec. The 1K Q is: Does it work?

I don't think most of the post are making fun of the shotgun but just making fun of the gunbroker price

sheepman
12-29-2011, 08:23
Have to agree with aippi if we were talking tickets to a ball game the person selling them at 4 time the price would be a scalper. I cannot feel sorry for someone who buys at these prices either.

last week Air Jordans were on sale and a lot of them were on E-bay the next day.

roguedaddy
12-29-2011, 08:43
The one that sold was very likely not the same as the ones that will be available to the public. The early ones were said to hold 7 rounds in the tubes plus 1 for a total of 15. The Keltec add in the latest issue of Swat Magazine says it is now only 6 per tube for a total of 13. With that change I can see why someone was willing to pay such a high price.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glockdude1
12-29-2011, 09:59
The one that sold was very likely not the same as the ones that will be available to the public. The early ones were said to hold 7 rounds in the tubes plus 1 for a total of 15. The Keltec add in the latest issue of Swat Magazine says it is now only 6 per tube for a total of 13. With that change I can see why someone was willing to pay such a high price.

7 rounds of 2 3/4"

6 rounds of 3" shells.

:cool:

BlackPaladin
12-29-2011, 19:12
Going with Aippi on this one, thief is exactly what that is. Sharkey, we both looked this one over at SS 11 and thought it was cool looking, it is nothing more than that for me though. I sure hope that KT is not planning on releasing these in tiny numbers hoping to spin the market.

cyphertext
12-29-2011, 21:10
How is the dealer a thief? If he was selling bottled water after a natural disaster with this much mark up, I might agree. However, this is a luxury item, not a necessity. The price is being driven by supply and demand. If people are foolish enough to pay that, then why not?

TreyG-20
12-29-2011, 21:30
I dont see a problem here either. I doubt these buyers are some noobs to the firearms world on gun broker buying these things. Im sure they did theyre research and know exactly what theyre worth but decided i got the money and i want it so they do. It is a free market

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
12-29-2011, 21:40
That is ridiculous. I would wait myself. If I were to spend that kind of money then I would take a couple of Benelli shotguns. The M4 variant like the Marines use. With money left over for plenty of ammo!

Sharkey
12-29-2011, 22:59
Going with Aippi on this one, thief is exactly what that is. Sharkey, we both looked this one over at SS 11 and thought it was cool looking, it is nothing more than that for me though. I sure hope that KT is not planning on releasing these in tiny numbers hoping to spin the market.

We agree to disagree I guess. The market brings what the market brings. This isn't water or gas in a time of crisis. Should we sale a Porsche for the price of a VW? Maye we should sale all sporting event tickets at the same price too? No doubt it is a cool design and if it works as advertised, I see it as a real tool for LE.

I hear it all the time on a cycle forum - Why doesn't this company bring this product to the US market? Now we have a company thinking outside the box and being criticized that it is a tactic-cool for tactic fools and how it is a flash in the pan and a marketing gimmick by someone who hasn't even messed with it? Who is the fool now?

At least try it before you criticize the concept. Sometimes change is a good thing. Yeah I'm in agreement with most here. I'm not paying 2500 for one but I ain't gonna call the seller a thief and the guy with cash a fool just because he is the first to own one and has money to buy new toys.

I mean let us start criticizing all the guys buying SCARS at hefty prices when you can just buy a Colt AR and be done with it.

BlackPaladin
12-29-2011, 23:15
We agree to disagree I guess.

Hey I agree :)

I still have your contact info from last year SS, I will give you a shout. You planning on the state of the industry dinner?

Sharkey
12-29-2011, 23:35
Hey I agree :)

I still have your contact info from last year SS, I will give you a shout. You planning on the state of the industry dinner?

No but I'll PM you. Maybe we can get together one night after the show for dinner and/or a show. I think my wife is more excited this year to go than I am. :supergrin:

method
12-30-2011, 05:50
I really don't get how anyone sees the seller as any sort of thief, or guilty of any impropriety. Something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If something is common and no one wants it, it's not worth much money. If it's rare and lots of people want it, the sky's the limit. Doesn't matter what the KSG will eventually retail for, because you can't walk into a gun shop and buy one yet.

It amazes me that this needs explained to people. It's the very root of the American economic system. Buy something for a dollar, sell it for two.....or a thousand if the market permits it. I bought a tool at a Goodwill store for $10 and sold it for $300 to a buyer who was thrilled to get it at that price; does that make me a crook? Aippi, do you charge no mark up on the parts you install on the shotguns you sell?

Big Bird
12-30-2011, 07:45
Anyone who thinks the profits this seller made off this gun are immoral or unfair should never walk into a jewelry or furniture store. The markups on those things make this seller look like a piker!

Consider this: None of you know anything about the buyer. You all think he's just an average schlub like you. He just got snookered by some evil guy who should only make 10-15% of what he sells regardless of what the market tells him its worth.. What if the buyer is an attorney representing a client that holds a patent he feels Keltec copied? He needs the gun to make a couple hundred thousand if not million bucks in a lawsuit or wants to file a cease and desist. Not a bad investment! What if the buyer is from the competitive research department at say Remington Arms...maybe interested in evaluating the gun, its potential and perhaps looking to buy Keltec. Simply cost of doing business. Or maybe the buyer is one of those guys that burns more than $2k in fuel every 20 minutes to fly his wife up to New York city in his G550 for dinner and a shopping trip. $2k isn't even pocket change to this guy. If it was one of those people did the seller rip them off?

Anyone in the gun business who sells something for less than its worth is a bad businessman. Profit is not a bad thing in spite of what our political leaders think.
If you think someone makes too much profit and is unfair then there's an opportunity for you to open a business and make less....

Big Bird
12-30-2011, 08:46
I really don't get how anyone sees the seller as any sort of thief, or guilty of any impropriety. Something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If something is common and no one wants it, it's not worth much money. If it's rare and lots of people want it, the sky's the limit. Doesn't matter what the KSG will eventually retail for, because you can't walk into a gun shop and buy one yet.

It amazes me that this needs explained to people. It's the very root of the American economic system. Buy something for a dollar, sell it for two.....or a thousand if the market permits it. I bought a tool at a Goodwill store for $10 and sold it for $300 to a buyer who was thrilled to get it at that price; does that make me a crook? Aippi, do you charge no mark up on the parts you install on the shotguns you sell?

If anyone here went to an estate sale and stumbled onto a collectable Colt SAA pistol that was worth say $2-3K in the market and they could buy it for $300 would it be immoral to turn around and sell it to someone who knows what it is for what its worth? Of course not. Nobody here would say to his buyer--"Oh I'm sorry, I can't accept $3k for this gun. Silly me, I only paid $300 for it. Tell you what, give me $350 and I'll be happy."

Ya bunch of Dorks...

Here's a business proposal for you people in the gun business who think this is unfair. Get setup with Keltec. I'll buy every KSG you can get in stock from them in the next 6 months and double the margin you currently make off any other gun. So if you normally make 15% I'll pay you 30%. Great deal for you and you don't have to feel like you are taking advantage of me....What I do with it is none of your concern....;)

cyphertext
12-30-2011, 10:49
I'll buy every KSG you can get in stock from them in the next 6 months and double the margin you currently make off any other gun. So if you normally make 15% I'll pay you 30%. Great deal for you and you don't have to feel like you are taking advantage of me....What I do with it is none of your concern....;)

Big Bird, with this proposal, you are still coming in under MSRP...you thief! :supergrin:

CAcop
12-30-2011, 18:27
7 rounds of 2 3/4"

6 rounds of 3" shells.

I thought they could chamber 3" shells but not feed them.

roguedaddy
12-30-2011, 18:39
The add is in the latest American Rifleman, page 43, not Swat Magazine. My mistake.

CrackerJack86
12-30-2011, 23:06
This is my first post, new member and I knew I would find this thread somewhere. I will have one eventually like ^^^ said after the recalls and and bugs are worked out. A well used one at that

Angry Fist
12-30-2011, 23:28
7 rounds of 2 3/4"

6 rounds of 3" shells.

Thank the Good Lord for Saiga... :whistling:

Syclone538
12-31-2011, 13:55
It would be nice if we could move this country closer to capitalism, not farther from it.

Glockdude1
12-31-2011, 16:18
Thank the Good Lord for Saiga... :whistling:

:agree:

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/images/product/large/77647.jpg

TreyG-20
12-31-2011, 16:26
:agree:

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/images/product/large/77647.jpg
Me too

Angry Fist
12-31-2011, 18:01
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/MO_FUGGAZ/100_3811.jpg

Landlocked
01-01-2012, 06:01
I would like to know what the loaded weight and balance is like. As far as the price? Who cares? Someone always has more money than you and me to spend on new toys.

fasteddie565
01-01-2012, 06:36
Wow, you've started 2 threads and posted in another. I don't understand the big deal? Free market is determining the price. How is that a bad thing?

I already stated I wouldn't buy one at that price but for for $700? Sure.

How much were those Tickle me Elmos or Cabbage Patch Dolls at Christmas time when Toys R Us were sold out of them?

My only complaint is that I don't have that much extra cash to blow on toys.

I'm not sure the seller is a thief as much as he is a smart businessman. Buy 3 at dealer pricing, sell 2 for 4X the original price and the 3rd one is free. :supergrin:

Come on guys, I think there is some middle ground here.... AIPPI I have been to your web site and I think your business practices are on the money. I have worked at several gun stores (To fuel my habit) and have seen the owner sell some stuff I would not recommend to my customers (Home Defense Shooting etc) but you have to sell people what they want, not what you want them to have. You seem to do that at a fair price for good quality. While I think its right not to overcharge (or maybe not right to overcharge????), in a situation like this, I think that these guys spending this kind of money are well aware of what the MSRP is or should be and have the means to pay whatever they want. If they don't then they are just stupid.

Ultimately, people have to assume responsibility for their own actions, both sellers and buyers. I saw during katrina (And this is in Missouri) where a local gas station gouged his customers based on a rumor of no gas availability. He ended up having to give refunds to get the business back. The market will apply checks and balances and hold businesses accountable. How many of you would now buy a product from this guy with the golden KSG?

fasteddie565
01-01-2012, 06:50

Method, this reminds me of a good point about "The Market" I am self employed and buy my own health insurance. last year (2010, sorry) I paid $3k a month for it. In 2011, I became eligible for TRICARE which was $1000 a month. While many cried fowl, I was very happy to write that check.

While not to try and speak for AIPPI, it appears he runs his business on the concept of making a modest profit off of each sale, making customers happy and saving on the advertising. Kind of, make $10 off of 10 customers and not hope to make $100 off of only one. I know first hand that you can mark somethings up considerably and folks will still pay for it (Walmart does it to you, you may just not know it) Some find this unethical, some find it profitable.

This KSG thing is outside the boundaries, IMHO. I refuse to pay $2k for a Kimber Gold Combat RL let alone a SG with a $700 value. If these guys think that waving it around to their buds at the range is worth the clout (and the money), well, hopefully the guy that sold it pumps that expendable income back into the economy.

AIPPI, I applaud you business model, but do you really think the guy that bought that KSG didn't know what he was doing?

aippi
01-01-2012, 12:42
I think he was caught up in the hype. He had to be. That weapon will be in shops for $800 to $900 very soon if there are no production issues. Also, buying any first release of any weapon from any manufacturer is an added risk and Kel-tec has a record of this. It is not like he bought some model that will be collectable one day because of a low serial number.

They are already selling back down to $1,500 on GB. And will drop down to MSRP as fast as they are released. Had he waited a few days he would have spent $1,500 less on an $800 weapon. That is even assuming the thing is even worth $800. The crash dummies are going to have to buy them and get them out there with 10's of thousands of rounds through them to even find out. Look in your gun safes and many of you have 40+ year old pumps that work today as well as the day they were first fired. What are the odds it will be this way with the Kel-tec pump? Very low I say and this was not a $2,995.00 investment purchase by that guy or the one that paid $2,400.00 or even the ones paying $1,500.

Yep the hype starts at shot show, continues on the blogs and ends when the truth about the weapon is discovered.

And guys, yes, I have on multiple occassions refused to build a weapon for some guy wanting to put a bunch of mess on it. And I repeatedly refer people to go buy the Remington HD model 25077 when they are on a tight budget and even state that on my web site. There are people left that put integrity over $$$$ ( damn few left).

jolly roger
01-01-2012, 14:27
That is just PURE stupid...

F106 Fan
01-01-2012, 16:18
A market functions when a buyer and seller agree on a price. Both parties thought they made a good deal.

Richard

aippi
01-01-2012, 17:18
He paid $2,995 and if he looked a couple days later he saw the same weapon sold for $1,500 and you are saying he thought he was getting a good deal? What do you say he is thinking now?

Wonder if the dealer that only got $1,500 for his dealer cost of $595 gun is upset about this also.

F106 Fan
01-01-2012, 22:01
Neither of us were participants in that market. Nor are we likely to be...

However, the first buyer may very well have had a reason for paying that much. Could be bragging rights, could be a potential resale, could be the perception that there would be very few manufactured - get 'em while they're hot, could be any of a number of things.

For all we know, the original purchaser bought both of the guns and averaged the cost.

One thing we know for certain, the buyer valued the shotgun more than he valued the money. The seller valued the money more than he valued the shotgun.

I know for a fact that if I had the money, I would buy that Colt gatling gun that is being reintroduced for only $50,000. But I don't...

Richard

Airborne Infantryman
01-01-2012, 22:31
I browsed the KSG listings on GunBroker just now.....people are insane for paying 1500-1600 for the gun, but I did notice that the same guy is the current high bidder on multiple KSG listings.....hmmm...I suppose he either really wants 4 KSGs, or intends on re-selling them. Either way, these guys are nuts. More power to them though; none of my business what they buy/don't buy, etc.

PAGunner
01-02-2012, 12:29
I browsed the KSG listings on GunBroker just now.....people are insane for paying 1500-1600 for the gun, but I did notice that the same guy is the current high bidder on multiple KSG listings.....hmmm...I suppose he either really wants 4 KSGs, or intends on re-selling them. Either way, these guys are nuts. More power to them though; none of my business what they buy/don't buy, etc.

Very nuts, I want a KSG too, it's like a shotgun out of a dream or something, but I'll wait until it starts selling for it's expected retail price. Some people have more money than brains.

Angry Fist
01-02-2012, 19:44
Neither of us were participants in that market. Nor are we likely to be...

However, the first buyer may very well have had a reason for paying that much. Could be bragging rights, could be a potential resale, could be the perception that there would be very few manufactured - get 'em while they're hot, could be any of a number of things.

For all we know, the original purchaser bought both of the guns and averaged the cost.

One thing we know for certain, the buyer valued the shotgun more than he valued the money. The seller valued the money more than he valued the shotgun.

I know for a fact that if I had the money, I would buy that Colt gatling gun that is being reintroduced for only $50,000. But I don't...

Richard
Troof.

jolly roger
01-03-2012, 21:00
I don't want to be a Beta tester...nor a Charlie tester for a KSG. I am convinced it'll be problematic. Why mess with Remington or Mossberg success? For the kind of money these fools are paying I would much rather have a Benelli M4.

Chinese Grock
01-04-2012, 06:30
http://mario.lapam.mo.it/ds9/gifs/quark.jpg

mrt949
01-04-2012, 06:51

glockenturm
01-04-2012, 08:09
http://mario.lapam.mo.it/ds9/gifs/quark.jpg

That's a lot of Latinum for that shotgun...........

lawdog734
01-04-2012, 09:30
I only paid 1200 for my benelli m1404, but to each his own. That dealer must have felt like he won the lottery.

gsp174
01-06-2012, 07:24
Let the market decide the price.
If someone is willing to pay that for it let them.

Saw that gun on nutinfancy website, looked like it ran good but users were unfamiliar withh the controls.

cooden
01-08-2012, 09:41
I still don't understand why Aippi cares so much? How is the seller a thief with no morals? He was selling an item, took a chance at getting a higher price and he got it. Isn't that the basic definition of a "free market"? If you don't know what that means, here is a link to the definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_market

Like someone mentioned before, how about tickets to the World Series or Super Bowl? Someone buys them and sells them for more money--more power to them, they got the tickets first.

Someone else mentioned jewerly & furniture. Jewerly is the biggest mark up/rip off on the planet, but everyone pays the prices for it!

Aippi, you do know your stuff on the Remington platform, but what commands your prices? You didn't build the shotguns, Surefire lights, stocks or any of the other stuff you sell. You do a fluff & buff, install the accessories, mark up the weapon & accessories and then say that you are morally correct. Here's some info--I can find all your products cheaper than what you sell them for on the internet--anyone can that knows how to use google. What makes your business model right and the guy on gunbroker wrong? You sound a little hypocritical to me.

I already know that you are going to say that you are so smart and that I am wrong, but feel free.

Crosshair_84
01-08-2012, 12:51
+1 to cooden. I'd elaborate further, but thankfully the issue has been gone over in much better detail by Walter Block.

Defending the Undefendable (Chapter 12: The Ticket Scalper) by Walter Block (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRB-Yat0urU)

Simple version: There is a shortage of KSGs. There are only two concieveable ways to choose who gets the limited supply:

1. First come, first serve.
2. Whoever can pay the most.

In this case, given the supply, the market clearing price was $2,400.

I remember similar things happening back with a new generation of ATI graphics cards. The cards were distributed to wholesalers 30 days in advance. For some reason the contract forbid retail sales until the release date, but didn't ban ebay sales. So some wholesalers put their cards on ebay. A $300 video card was selling for $1,000 30 days before it was due to be released.

mrt949
01-08-2012, 13:12
KEL TEC starts shipping on 01/09/2012 after the long holiday break .Maybe AIPPI could get one of his distrubitors to get him one without paying scalper prices.