Scored a G33!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scored a G33!!

JimIsland
12-27-2011, 21:35
Well, went to the range to try out my new recoil springs/barrel in my G20 and a G33 caught my eye. Used but in very good shape so I hagled a bit and ended up buying it. I'm still a 10mm nutzswinger but damn the 357 sig is a snappy round!! Awesome little piece and btw.....the 20# wolf spring and stainless rod worked great with a Storm barrel. I shot 60 rounds of GA hollow point ammo without a glitch. I forgot my gloves so I wasn't going to try the DT stuff that I had shot a couple of weeks ago and blew out all of the primers. Next time I'll know if it was my Gen 2 barrel or bad ammo.

_The_Shadow
12-27-2011, 22:25
Sounds like a deal! Congrats!

21Carrier
12-27-2011, 23:17
I want a G33! I need something smaller for carry at work, and I've been looking at the G33 or a Ruger LC9. I know they are totally different, but either will work. I'll likely do the LC9 first, then the G33 later. How does it shoot?

inspectorjj
12-27-2011, 23:37
Looking at something to carry, I have noticed a Para Warthog. It just seems to be the perfect size. However, it will not deter me from getting the G29 to go along with my G20 once my funds are straighten out shortly.

JimIsland
12-27-2011, 23:55
I want a G33! I need something smaller for carry at work, and I've been looking at the G33 or a Ruger LC9. I know they are totally different, but either will work. I'll likely do the LC9 first, then the G33 later. How does it shoot?

It's a pocket rocket!! I had a shooting contest with my son who usually shoots his G30 better than me. At 15 yards we got 9 shots to see who could get closest to the red bullseye on the "splatter stick-ons". I had 8 out of 9 in the splatter stick-on,and a couple that clipped the red bullseye. I enjoyed my free steak dinner at Outbacks!!:supergrin:

I put 120 rounds through it. 100 Sellier & Bellot and 20 Winchester PDX. Ran flawless. It's definately snappier than my G26,but it's managable.I did notice re-setting my grip after 2 or 3 rounds. All in all, I think the 357 sig is a very formidable round and it's nice to have it in a baby glock. This is going to be my summer time carry piece.

inspectorjj
12-27-2011, 23:57
Not thinking about something to carry, I came across a deal where I traded a 25.06 savage rifle that I had for the gun in the photo below. I think it will be fun to shoot and compare the Taurus .357 6-inch to my Glock 20. I think I will get a chrony next just to guage the commercial stuff that I shoot. I just gotta wait until my funds move up a little though.

http://i011.radikal.ru/1112/23/740b43bd426e.jpg (http://www.radikal.ru)

JimIsland
12-28-2011, 00:12
Not thinking about something to carry, I came across a deal where I traded a 25.06 savage rifle that I had for the gun in the photo below. I think it will be fun to shoot and compare the Taurus .357 6-inch to my Glock 20. I think I will get a chrony next just to guage the commercial stuff that I shoot. I just gotta wait until my funds move up a little though.

http://i011.radikal.ru/1112/23/740b43bd426e.jpg (http://www.radikal.ru)

Dayuumm, what a hog-leg!!:wow:

21Carrier
12-28-2011, 00:12
It's a pocket rocket!! I had a shooting contest with my son who usually shoots his G30 better than me. At 15 yards we got 9 shots to see who could get closest to the red bullseye on the "splatter stick-ons". I had 8 out of 9 in the splatter stick-on,and a couple that clipped the red bullseye. I enjoyed my free steak dinner at Outbacks!!:supergrin:

I put 120 rounds through it. 100 Sellier & Bellot and 20 Winchester PDX. Ran flawless. It's definately snappier than my G26,but it's managable.I did notice re-setting my grip after 2 or 3 rounds. All in all, I think the 357 sig is a very formidable round and it's nice to have it in a baby glock. This is going to be my summer time carry piece.

Thanks, that's great to know. It's good to hear that the accuracy sounds similar to the G26. That little gun is uncannily accurate. It always amazes me when I shoot a G26. Something that small has NO BUSINESS being so incredibly accurate. It's crazy, and it sounds like the G33 is the same. I was hoping so. I think I'll get a G33 and 9mm conversion barrel sometime soon. I still have 1-2 more guns before it, but it'll be my next Glock. I've shot a good bit of .357SIG from my friend's G32, and it wasn't bad. How does the recoil measure against full-power stuff in the G20? I'm guessing the G33 is about the same or slightly less with full-power .357SIG? Maybe it doesn't have that much recoil, but I know the G20's heavy slide soaks up a LOT of recoil. I know it can't be anything like my G29 with full-bore stuff. That thing will REALLY thump.

arushus
12-28-2011, 00:38
I cant make up my mind...I know I want a subcompact Glock next, and with everyone raving about the 26 I thought I had my mind made up. But then I got to thinking that the velocity achieved by the 357sig round out of a 33 would probably make the 9mm hollowpoints act how they should, as opposed to them not reaching very high velocities out of a 26. But I hadnt heard people saying anything about the accuracy of the 33 like they do with the 26...plus there is the whole conversion barrel availability with the 33, I can shoot .40sw or 9mm out of it if I wanted to.
Then again, I dont have a 29 yet, or I could spend the money converting my 20sf into a longslide, or I could get a CDE...but then there is that S&W governor Ive been wanting....decisions decisions.

21Carrier
12-28-2011, 00:59
I cant make up my mind...I know I want a subcompact Glock next, and with everyone raving about the 26 I thought I had my mind made up. But then I got to thinking that the velocity achieved by the 357sig round out of a 33 would probably make the 9mm hollowpoints act how they should, as opposed to them not reaching very high velocities out of a 26. But I hadnt heard people saying anything about the accuracy of the 33 like they do with the 26...plus there is the whole conversion barrel availability with the 33, I can shoot .40sw or 9mm out of it if I wanted to.
Then again, I dont have a 29 yet, or I could spend the money converting my 20sf into a longslide, or I could get a CDE...but then there is that S&W governor Ive been wanting....decisions decisions.

Dude, you think JUST LIKE ME! I have thought and said that EXACT SAME THING! I've seen 9mm Gold Dots not expand well out of a G26. The way I see it, with a G33, you'd be getting FULL 9mm performance (and maybe even more) out of the subcompact size. I'm guessing the ballistics from the G33 should be very similar or even better than the 9mm ballistics from a G17. So, you should get G17 ballistics from a G26-sized gun. That's why I like the G33 as opposed to the G26.

The one thing that might upset that line of reasoning is that I think many of the .357SIG hollow points are designed FOR .357SIG, and are not identical to the 9mm bullets. If that's the case, we still might run into expansion issues. I am still undecided between the two, but I'll probably get the G33, then get a G26 at a later date. However, I can get a Gen4 G26, not so with the G33. I don't know. Also, you can get 9mm and .40S&W conversion barrels for the G33.

arushus
12-28-2011, 01:08
Are 357 sig rounds really .357", or are they .355" like the 9mm bullets?

21Carrier
12-28-2011, 01:47
Are 357 sig rounds really .357", or are they .355" like the 9mm bullets?

I think the nominal size is .356", while 9mm usually uses .355". I know you CAN use .357" or even .355" in .357SIG. However, I'm pretty sure .356" is the desired size. Also, it seems people have run into set-back issues with the .355" 9mm bullets in .357SIG. I think the size is not the issue here. I think it's more the design. I think, for instance, that the .357SIG Gold Dot is designed specifically for .357SIG velocity, and differs from the 9mm Gold Dot.

G33
12-28-2011, 03:29
:wavey::tongueout:

Beanie-Bean
12-28-2011, 04:10
JimIsland,

Congrats on the G33--you'll really like it a lot. It is part of my carry rotation lineup.

21 & arushus,

All the .357 I've shot are .355". They'll load just fine with XTP and with the Speer 125 rounds for that caliber. I have a few boxes of the TMJ rounds to load up, but have not done any Gold Dots yet--they've been hard to locate lately.

My intro to 9X19 in a subcompact was with my G33 and an LWD 40-9 conversion barrel. I used the G26 and G19 magazines in it with no problems. Actually, I liked the way that the 9mm round shot in the subcompact so much that I went and got a G26 :)

Beanie-Bean
12-28-2011, 05:01
I took these shots for another post regarding the XS Big Dots, but here are G33/G20SF, along with some of my favorite books:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/IMG_8413.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/IMG_8415.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/IMG_8418.jpg

Again, have fun with the new G33!

JimIsland
12-28-2011, 11:48
Thanks Bean! I just put Big Dots on my G20 and so far, I love them. How do you like the Big Dots on the baby Glocks? I'm going to add some to my G26 and G33 but was thinking the XS Dots vs the Big Dots:dunno:

One thing thing that really turned me on to the 357 sig was something that I read. A guy mentioned in an article that because of the shape of the bullet, FTF are nearly non-existent. That's a nice feeling when you carry. I also read that LE had to shoot a Pit Bull 6 times to put it down and have had similar scenarios where the 357 put it down with one shot. I know there's a lot of variables there but the consensus is that it is a proven man stopper with great ballistics. Package that in a easy to carry handgun and I think It's a winner.

My next Glock will be a 29 and with a 33 as it's companion, i can't think of a better pair for EDC in the winter/summer.

BTW...I just ordered a 1000 rounds GA 357 sig for a VERY reasonable price and also 200 rounds of hollow point(also very reasonable) so don't worry about ammo being an issue.

_The_Shadow
12-28-2011, 12:11
I started with the Glock 29 and have since added the conversion barrels to safely shoot the 40S&W, 357Sig and 9x25Dillon...
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0336.jpg

I have loaded some rounds using 121 gr JHP Zero .356" bullets that were listed in the 38 Super. They have been out for a while, but the bullet has performed well so far in the 357Sig and 9x25Dillon.
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0319.jpg (http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0331.jpg)http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0331.jpg

The last one did strike the bottom of the jug which caused it to shed the jacket.

4949shooter
12-28-2011, 16:15
I just typed up a recommendation for the LE agency i work for to change to the .357 Sig round. I am a big fan of the .357 in general, and especially for law enforcement use.

I was told however, that we will be staying with the 9mm.

Although I think regimentation is a good thing, this is one of the faults inherent to it.

JimIsland
12-28-2011, 19:49
I just typed up a recommendation for the LE agency i work for to change to the .357 Sig round. I am a big fan of the .357 in general, and especially for law enforcement use.

Although I think regimentation is a good thing, this is one of the faults inherent to it.

Thats too bad. I'll bet the 357 sig round would work great in the "street" for you guys.

4949shooter
12-28-2011, 20:02
Thats too bad. I'll bet the 357 sig round would work great in the "street" for you guys.

Thanks. It would be better for punching through auto glass, etc. as well.

blastfact
12-28-2011, 20:51
Why mess with a .357 Sig. When the real round is the 9x25. :)

bac1023
12-28-2011, 22:53
Congrats on the G33.

I have one myself. :)

21Carrier
12-29-2011, 03:11
Why mess with a .357 Sig. When the real round is the 9x25. :)

I can't wait to get 9x25 Dillon dies and a barrel for my G20LS. That's gonna be a major blaster!

Shadow, is the G29 just an absolute flamethrower with 9x25 Dillon? I've seen video of guys shooting 6" barreled G20s, and they throw flames like I've never seen. It would seem the G29's short barrel would be even worse.

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3Gyek7oZ4

_The_Shadow
12-29-2011, 10:04
I can't wait to get 9x25 Dillon dies and a barrel for my G20LS. That's gonna be a major blaster!

Shadow, is the G29 just an absolute flamethrower with 9x25 Dillon? I've seen video of guys shooting 6" barreled G20s, and they throw flames like I've never seen. It would seem the G29's short barrel would be even worse.

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3Gyek7oZ4

I think that id Jay's video you posted the link for...there is a member (JTKnives) that also has videos.
Yes, the 3.78" barrel is quite the flame thrower, using healthy doses of various powders. I mostly have used LongShot, Blue Dot and Power Pistol. H-110, 296, AA9 has not performed well in the 5" and shorter barrels. If ever my 6" barrel for my S&W1006 becomes reality it will be interesting to re-evaluate the performance.

glock20c10mm
12-29-2011, 22:06

9mm:shakehead: Only 7% of State Police/Highway Patrol still rely on it. 357SIG is gaining ground with them. 40S&W is loosing ground with them. 45Auto/GAP are holding their own with them.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344366

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345349

Maybe one of these days you'll get to carry the 357SIG yet.

_The_Shadow
12-29-2011, 23:01
The trend down here is the LE, SO in particular is going back to 9mm...LE public relations has a duty to act and need to bring suspects to custody more so than killing the perp...

Live and relive the FBI Miami shoot out!

4949shooter
12-30-2011, 05:07
9mm:shakehead: Only 7% of State Police/Highway Patrol still rely on it. 357SIG is gaining ground with them. 40S&W is loosing ground with them. 45Auto/GAP are holding their own with them.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344366

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345349

Maybe one of these days you'll get to carry the 357SIG yet.

Thanks for the threads. This is interesting information.

The trend down here is the LE, SO in particular is going back to 9mm...LE public relations has a duty to act and need to bring suspects to custody more so than killing the perp...

My agency just had a shooting with multiple rounds fired. I am wondering if this will change some of the thinking. They have my recommendation, and you know, sometimes timing is everything.

JimIsland
12-30-2011, 08:35

Being able to bring a perp in for interviewing/interragation makes perfectly good sense however, if a BG is able to return fire because he didn't go down is a deal breaker for me. I'm not in LE but if I had to engage a BG with my gun, I want him down and unable to return fire.

There was a local LE that was first to arrive at a hostage situation and he shot and killed the BG with one shot from a G30. My best friend is a Defense Attorney and was retained by the officer in case things went sideways however, the investigation concluded that it was a clean shoot.

My point is this guy had a bad record and was crazy as a loon so there's no telling how things would have turned out if he was able to return fire since he was armed.

glock20c10mm
12-30-2011, 15:15
Thanks for the threads. This is interesting information.
+1:thumbsup: I did my best to throw that in there for you while keeping it "short and sweet" in the hopes of not entirely derailing this thread. You can always start a new thread on the whole subject if you like, and I'm quite sure it would accumulate LOTS of posts.:wavey:

uz2bUSMC
01-01-2012, 07:05
Well, went to the range to try out my new recoil springs/barrel in my G20 and a G33 caught my eye. Used but in very good shape so I hagled a bit and ended up buying it. I'm still a 10mm nutzswinger but damn the 357 sig is a snappy round!! Awesome little piece and btw.....the 20# wolf spring and stainless rod worked great with a Storm barrel. I shot 60 rounds of GA hollow point ammo without a glitch. I forgot my gloves so I wasn't going to try the DT stuff that I had shot a couple of weeks ago and blew out all of the primers. Next time I'll know if it was my Gen 2 barrel or bad ammo.

Congrats on the G33! Got a question for you, is the chamber fully supported??

JimIsland
01-01-2012, 10:15
Congrats on the G33! Got a question for you, is the chamber fully supported??

Seems to be fine. I compared it to my sons G30 and my G26 and it holds the casing very tight. I'm not going to run any nuclear rounds through it since Corbon and a few other have some pretty good personal defense ammo for the 357 Sig. This is one fast little bugger that's for sure:supergrin:

SolidBrass
01-01-2012, 20:31
This is 10 Ring right?

My un-owned dream gun is not a 357 but the G29. Why not a 10mm SIG or S/W? Who am I to blame for this disgrace? People like 10mm pistols. C'mon Ruger, Colt, Taurus, HK. Buy one, shot one, want one, own one, make one!

JimIsland
01-01-2012, 22:00
This is 10 Ring right?

My un-owned dream gun is not a 357 but the G29. Why not a 10mm SIG or S/W? Who am I to blame for this disgrace? People like 10mm pistols. C'mon Ruger, Colt, Taurus, HK. Buy one, shot one, want one, own one, make one!

Yep....and it's my thread:tongueout: It actually started off as a range report on my G20 with it's new "goodies" and then I plugged in my purchase of the G33. Trust me, the G29 is my next Glock purchase but i couldn't pass up this little clean piece:supergrin:

I love the 10mm and do wish there more more options out there as well as ammo but I've been real happy with GA 165gr hollow points. 50 rounds for 21.50.....not bad at all.

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-04-2012, 22:36
This is 10 Ring right?

My G29SF is quite simply...

The Shizz. Favorite of all my Glocks, and I've got quite a few.