Should this gun even be advertised as a Wilson? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should this gun even be advertised as a Wilson?

ajgranda
12-28-2011, 11:27
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266508676

I'm sure WC would have done the same job fitting that trigger.:whistling:

AK74play
12-28-2011, 11:54
No, it's NOT a Wilson pistol. Looks like probably all Wilson parts including slide & frame. BUT it was NOT assembled, tuned and finished by Wilson. Their work is flawless, this is not. I could order the same parts and assemble and tune it myself for a hell of a lot less. Truthfully though if someone actually READS the description they will know what their getting for the $$$$.$$, but just like the people that respond to post on forums like this one without ever even bothering to read and understand the OP befor throwing their OPINIONS out there or the inevetable,,, WHY this, or why that?? I can see someone buying it and when it takes a dump trying to get Wilson to warranty it. I just dont know what's wrong with people now a days. Anyway, it's not fraudulant because of the full disclosure description right under the title.

Mayhem like Me
12-28-2011, 11:57
It's a FUBAR made with Wilson parts...
Well maybe not BAR but FU for sure.....

R0CKETMAN
12-28-2011, 13:25
Yes because it is, but I wouldn't buy it for more than a few hundred bucks.

Now if the "smith" was someone with who's work I was familiar then that would be another matter.

up1911fan
12-28-2011, 15:26
"This pistol would retail for approx. $2,900.00 from Wilson and you would have to wait at least 6 months for it."

That last line really cracked me up. The trigger fit is crap and it's got a smooth front strap. This guy's dreaming.

R0CKETMAN
12-28-2011, 16:52
That last line really cracked me up. The trigger fit is crap and it's got a smooth front strap. This guy's dreaming.

I missed that.....Wow

AK74play
12-28-2011, 18:50
Never seen a Wilson Combat pistol that did not say it on th side of the slide. Not A Wilson, period. Didn't come in the Wilson pistol rug like they all do and NO Wilson warrenty papers, wasn't tuned and test fired by their technitions, Nothing. Parts bin gun anyway you look at it.

glock2740
12-28-2011, 19:26
:rofl:What a joke. I feel sorry, sorta, for what ever clown gets hoodwinked into that POS. :rofl:

glock2740
12-28-2011, 19:29
Never seen a Wilson Combat pistol that did not say it on th side of the slide.
It's called a naked slide. It's a free option. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/NewUltralightCarryCompact2004.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/NewUltralightCarryCompact2005.jpg

bac1023
12-28-2011, 21:25
:rofl:What a joke. I feel sorry, sorta, for what ever clown gets hoodwinked into that POS. :rofl:

:agree:

bac1023
12-28-2011, 21:26
"This pistol would retail for approx. $2,900.00 from Wilson and you would have to wait at least 6 months for it."

I think I'm going to send this idiot an email.

I can't stand people trying to rip someone off.

michael e
12-28-2011, 21:30
Who is this guys gunsmith? As for should it be called a Wilson, he can call it what ever he wants, I will not buy it.

bac1023
12-28-2011, 21:37
Who is this guys gunsmith? As for should it be called a Wilson, he can call it what ever he wants, I will not buy it.

He can certainly call it whatever he wants. However, I don't take kindly to GB sellers trying to rip off the uninformed.

I have a problem with that. It bothers me.

If someone wants to overcharge for a known product, that's their business. If someone is foolish enough to buy it, more power to the seller. However, don't lie about the product itself. They are two different things in my book. :steamed:

DLEE25
12-28-2011, 22:13
I suppose the seller can call it whatever he wants. To me it's a "kit build" made from Wilson parts, which I consider a whole different animal from a true Wilson Combat gun. I don't really detect deception on the part of the seller, I do get the feeling he is not very knowledgeable about the 1911. Either way, I agree the price is way too much. It may be a good shooter, but it isn't a true Wilson factory build. I think he's asking about $1000 too much.

CAcop
12-28-2011, 22:32
I suppose the seller can call it whatever he wants. To me it's a "kit build" made from Wilson parts, which I consider a whole different animal from a true Wilson Combat gun. I don't really detect deception on the part of the seller, I do get the feeling he is not very knowledgeable about the 1911. Either way, I agree the price is way too much. It may be a good shooter, but it isn't a true Wilson factory build. I think he's asking about $1000 too much.

Do you really think it is worth $1200?

Who is his gunsmith?

Does his gunsmith know how to do it right?

How well was it put together?

majette
12-29-2011, 01:01
looks like a mediocre build from a frame and slide kit:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Full-Size-Frame-Carbon-_-5-Slide-Carbon-45-ACP-No-Rear-Sight-Cut/productinfo/440CFK/

the auction pistol is priced WAY too high.

glock2740
12-29-2011, 04:00
Also, what if the buyer ever needs to send it back to Wilson? We'll all be hearing about "Wilson's crappy customer service", because I doubt very seriously that they'll be doing it for free or jumping through any hoops to get it turned around. For $2900, you could buy an actual CQB, with better options than that POS that's for sale on GB, and have a Wilson lifetime warranty, as well as anyone who ever bought it from you, should you ever decide to sell it.

bac1023
12-29-2011, 06:48
Do you really think it is worth $1200?

I wouldn't pay more than $700 for it.

In fact, I wouldn't buy it at all. That's just what I think its worth.

up1911fan
12-29-2011, 12:20
I wouldn't pay more than $700 for it.

In fact, I wouldn't buy it at all. That's just what I think its worth.
Agreed. It's got more than that in parts alone, but the sum of that gun isn't worth it to me either.

Mayhem like Me
12-29-2011, 12:25
that trigger is jacked up and it looks like a very simple spray and bake finish...

I mean that front strap HAS to checkerd it just looks fugly without it...

Spats McGee
12-29-2011, 16:06
I suppose the seller can call it whatever he wants. . . . .
No, I think Wilson Combat and their lawyers might disagree. I agree that it's essentially a "kit build" from WC parts, but it's not a "Wilson Combat Custom." Were I one of WC's lawyers and caught wind of this, you can bet a cease and desist letter would be forthcoming.

Nickpisp
12-29-2011, 16:14
No, I think Wilson Combat and their lawyers might disagree. I agree that it's essentially a "kit build" from WC parts, but it's not a "Wilson Combat Custom." Were I one of WC's lawyers and caught wind of this, you can bet a cease and desist letter would be forthcoming.

I doubt it. It's a Wilson frame and slide, is he supposed to advertise it as a Colt?

Jason D
12-29-2011, 16:36
As with every consumer good, it's buyer beware.

As everyone here knows that's not a Wilson Combat pistol, but a parts gun made with Wilson parts.

Now it may be a very well built pistol, but pictures seem to argue otherwise.
There is no way in hell that gun is worth close to the asking price, but it may be worth something. As long as the it was sold as a parts gun and the parts were correctly installed. A person would really need to be knowledgeable and do an entire detail strip to see what the gun is worth.

I wouldn't spend a plugged nickel on the gun without a through inspection.

R0CKETMAN
12-29-2011, 16:43
I doubt it. It's a Wilson frame and slide, is he supposed to advertise it as a Colt?

LMFAO:rofl:

fnfalman
12-29-2011, 18:01
As with every consumer good, it's buyer beware.

As everyone here knows that's not a Wilson Combat pistol, but a parts gun made with Wilson parts.

The seller didn't lie about who built the gun and whose part it's made out of. I believe he put the shebang in high cap to make sure that the potential buyers can see what they're getting.

Now it may be a very well built pistol, but pictures seem to argue otherwise.
There is no way in hell that gun is worth close to the asking price, but it may be worth something. As long as the it was sold as a parts gun and the parts were correctly installed. A person would really need to be knowledgeable and do an entire detail strip to see what the gun is worth.

I wouldn't spend a plugged nickel on the gun without a through inspection.

The gun is worth what the buyer and seller agree to, no more no less.

cyberiad
12-29-2011, 18:20

No, he should advertise it as a 1911 his "certified gunsmith" put together, not a "Wilson Combat." It's misleading. Hopefully someone doesn't get duped.

ERDocnshooter
12-29-2011, 19:32
Had a similar situation a few years back at a local gunshop. This time a Les Baer. When I called Baer with the serial # to inquire about sending it it for a complete workthru and refinish guess what: parts built gun and they would not touch it. I did NOT buy it. As said before Buyer beware.

bac1023
12-29-2011, 19:56
No, he should advertise it as a 1911 his "certified gunsmith" put together, not a "Wilson Combat." It's misleading. Hopefully someone doesn't get duped.

Hopefully not.

arclight610
12-29-2011, 20:44
I'm selling mine too. $1500. Make check out to my wife's name, "Cash".

My loss is your guys' gain.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/Teamcompound/Llama9mmright444.jpg

glock2740
12-29-2011, 21:50
I'm selling mine too. $1500. Make check out to my wife's name, "Cash".

My loss is your guys' gain.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/Teamcompound/Llama9mmright444.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

DLEE25
12-30-2011, 12:59

I agree the seller is doing some shady advertising. If he was making a business out of building guns from kits and regularly passing them off as true Wilson Customs, then I could totally see a major stink from the Wilson Combat folks.

I suppose I am just giving the seller benefit of doubt that he is just uneducated on just what makes a true custom gun or perhaps he was mislead by his gunsmith.

The more I've thought of it, paying anything more than the cost of the kit for this gun would be a rip off.

glockarmor
12-31-2011, 15:08
Maybe this is a different pistol from the one discussed but it appears to be the same situation and to call this a "step above" a Super Grade Wilson?? I really don't know what say about that. Adding insult to injury although this was sold they have relisted, obviously another one the same way and already hooked another fish for even more money? .
Listed as SOLD for $2250 + shipping and transfer.. I see this from time to time but I don't blame GB.. Buyer had 1 transaction on GB and IMHO assumed he was getting a Wilson Combat pistol because of his inexperience.. I know it's "buyer beware" but deceptive is the best I can call it. Note that they have gone out of their way to purchase Wilson Combat pistol bags and photograph them with the pistol, that leads me to believe, to deceive was the intent. Take it somewhere to trade in and he would be LUCKY to be offered $800 for it.. I would be curious to see what the shop that built this "hand fitted Custom" would offer the guy a month from now if he wanted to trade it for a real Wilson.. This may be a great pistol but bottom line is that it has 40% resale value at best. Too often it's all about the $$$$$$$ and it's disturbing. In the end something is worth what 1 person will pay for it but IMHO this is a very disturbing situation.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=265663228 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265663228)