Mossberg 930 SPX - Range Report - 2nd trip [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX - Range Report - 2nd trip

Airborne Infantryman
12-28-2011, 15:00
I purchased my Mossberg 930 SPX on December 23rd. Its the 930 Special Purpose, (# 85370) with Pistol Grip Stock (Made by Choate Machine and Tool).

I went to the range upstairs, and put 100 rounds through it, which consisted of the following-

65 rounds of Federal Multi-Purpose Birdshot
25 rounds of Remington Multi-Purpose
10 rounds of Winchester Super-X 2 3/4 00 Buck.

I took it directly out of the box, with no cleaning, and ran it with practically no time to cool down. It ran flawlessly.

Today, I took it back to the range, without having cleaned it, and put the following through it with no hiccups, jams or issues-

50 rounds Federal Multi-Purpose Birdshot
50 rounds Winchester Multi-Purpose Birdshot
15 rounds 3-inch Remington 00 Buckshot

It performed flawlessly, as expected. So far, 215 rounds with no issues. I'm going back tomorrow as well, as I intend on buying a Mossberg 590A1 20" with Speedfeed stock and Ghost Ring sights. I'll put 100 rounds through the 590A1, and another 100 through the 930 SPX and report back.

I'm loving the 930 SPX.........I was gonna buy a Benelli M4 because I read about all the issue with the 930 SPX, but I'm glad I took the risk on the 930 SPX. For the record, my particular 930 SPX had no issues with the front sight being canted, and everything was flawless on it. It had a December 2011 production date, FWIW.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6561630297_5fc32d267b_b.jpg

megawatt
12-28-2011, 15:18
Good for you and your new SPX. I did the same thing when I got mine a few months back. Straight out of the box and on to the range for a couple hundred shells with no problem.

CMG
12-28-2011, 18:28
I recently picked up one of these used for $375. After it proved itself reliable I added a sling plate and barrel clamp. I think they are a great shotgun.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/M930SPXmod.jpg

mixflip
12-29-2011, 01:35
Another happy camper!!! The 930 rocks.

docwade
12-31-2011, 08:57
That was a sweet deal on a 930. For the money, it's a great tactical shotgun.

ScrappyDoo
12-31-2011, 11:39
Congratulations AI, I have admitted several times I'm extremely jealous (respectfully jealous, the good kind) of your extensive and newer portfolio of awesome weapon after weapon after weapon with all the trimmings and optics/toys/etc. Glad you now have one I have and are as happy as I am (as a lot of as all are, we on the shotgun forum are a happy group of M930SPX owners).

I will say you're very lucky with the straight-from-the-box. that is the literally biggest reason for M930SPX problems (I tracked it in 10/11). But you and others got through OKAy so hey what can you say.

And I've said this beforoe and i'll say it again, probably the most important things to me are liek my family members (even though I don't actually LIKE them, but of course I love them) and of course, my absolutely most important thing is my dog. and if something was threatening his life etc. I would grab my M930SPX. and I don't have a HUGE portfolio but I do have a few options. And if my puppeh was being threatned by bear, bad guy, or boulder, my M930SPX would be what I grab, which I believe is the highest compliment i cold possibly give.

hoosier#17
12-31-2011, 16:52
Got an 09' gun a while back and its a nice gun. My first autoloader and has impressed tremendously. Spit out everything I put thru her.

DHSGMAN
12-31-2011, 17:04
It's nice to come back from deployments with extra money in the bank, now that I'm out I miss the copious cash infusions.

AWMP
12-31-2011, 17:16
Going to my first 3 gun match in a few weeks and looking for a good shotgun, this looks like a good possible choice

CDR_Glock
12-31-2011, 18:00
I truly love mine. It has double the mag capacity of guns for double the cost, with an easier to control system, generous sized slide release and high visibility sights.

It handled 00 and slugs very well and I wasn't in pain like a Mossberg Persuader did to my shoulder after only 5 rounds. It felt like half of the recoil of a pump.

ScrappyDoo
12-31-2011, 18:39
CDR not only is that true, you will be AMAZED what the LimbSaver recoil pad does to it. I mean it is literally AMAZING how soft shooting it becomes. Obviously as a gas operated autoloading shotgun it has some nice recoil-reduction over a pump standard, but the M930SPX with the LimbSaver just becomes a serious, BAD MOTHER TRUCKER combat shotgun. I literally feel like ,with the change in shootability the LimbSaver made, I would be extremely happy and satisfied with it as my combat carry weapon (if I was in such a position).

Also just for the record you can also even add LARGER magazine capacity tubes if you would desire, they just extend longer past the barrel. I don't' like the look of it nor is it legal in NJ due to our stupid laws, but in other states and those that say 3 gun or maybe lots of skeetin and trap/clay shootin etc. you can put like + whatever big time on there... MidwayUSA has a +5 Choate listed right now, I believe 've seen bigger ones.

if you seen Miculek or however his name is spelled, it is really extended lol.

toms_2003_GT
01-02-2012, 07:28
CDR not only is that true, you will be AMAZED what the LimbSaver recoil pad does to it. I mean it is literally AMAZING how soft shooting it becomes. Obviously as a gas operated autoloading shotgun it has some nice recoil-reduction over a pump standard, but the M930SPX with the LimbSaver just becomes a serious, BAD MOTHER TRUCKER combat shotgun. I literally feel like ,with the change in shootability the LimbSaver made, I would be extremely happy and satisfied with it as my combat carry weapon (if I was in such a position).

Also just for the record you can also even add LARGER magazine capacity tubes if you would desire, they just extend longer past the barrel. I don't' like the look of it nor is it legal in NJ due to our stupid laws, but in other states and those that say 3 gun or maybe lots of skeetin and trap/clay shootin etc. you can put like + whatever big time on there... MidwayUSA has a +5 Choate listed right now, I believe 've seen bigger ones.

if you seen Miculek or however his name is spelled, it is really extended lol.

Ive got a standard Mossberg 930 and Im wondering if the pistol grip stock from the SPX will fit?

ScrappyDoo
01-02-2012, 08:08
Almost positive it will- the 930 Autoloader by Mossberg is a model, and generally the actual shotgun part (the receiver et al) is the same- the other options and "names" vary according to like barrel size, shape, sights, etc. So I'd be almost all-in that the pistol grip from the SPX will definitely fit a different 930.

In fact if you visit www.riflestock.com which is the good people at Choate Machine and Tool, who in fact produce and supply Mossberg with the 930SPX's factory installed magazine extension *and* Pistol Grip Stock for those with the PG-stock-model, you can find this :

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=1&Product_CatalogID=2961&ProductNumber=02-01-40&ProductCode=2&ProductSubCodeID=240&NewProduct=0

Which is the Choate pistol-grip-stock for the Mossberg 930. $77.70 - there you go.

toms_2003_GT
01-02-2012, 08:16
Almost positive it will- the 930 Autoloader by Mossberg is a model, and generally the actual shotgun part (the receiver et al) is the same- the other options and "names" vary according to like barrel size, shape, sights, etc. So I'd be almost all-in that the pistol grip from the SPX will definitely fit a different 930.

In fact if you visit www.riflestock.com (http://www.riflestock.com) which is the good people at Choate Machine and Tool, who in fact produce and supply Mossberg with the 930SPX's factory installed magazine extension *and* Pistol Grip Stock for those with the PG-stock-model, you can find this :

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=1&Product_CatalogID=2961&ProductNumber=02-01-40&ProductCode=2&ProductSubCodeID=240&NewProduct=0

Which is the Choate pistol-grip-stock for the Mossberg 930. $77.70 - there you go.

Cool, thanks for posting the link.

vego
01-05-2012, 04:23
my 930 was my deer killer but i replaced it with a 20 gauge 1187 so I think Im going to go 18in barrel PG stock and some sort of ghost ring/dot combo on mine. I love the gun though, even bought the 935.

frankr
01-07-2012, 02:25
I replaced the standard buttstock with the Choate Mark V pistol grip buttstock from combatstocks.com $68.37 and it only took 4 days to get to me. Because of the firm grip I get with the pistol grip I feel like I have better control for faster tactical reloading and Iím more accurate and faster with my follow up shots. I might add I have no trouble getting to the safety. The only problem Iím having with my 930 SPX is keeping ammo around.

http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_Mossberg_930_935_Mark_5_Pistol_Grip_Buttstock_Combination.cfm

NEOH212
01-07-2012, 03:00
I was looking at the same configuration as is in the picture of the OP.

Is $700 plus tax reasonable for a new 930 or would you say that's on the high side???

:dunno:

DHSGMAN
01-07-2012, 13:41
There's a member on M4carbine.net selling a 930 SPX for $600.00, better hurry as it's about as low as it gets right now.

brausso
01-07-2012, 13:45
I recently picked up one of these used for $375. After it proved itself reliable I added a sling plate and barrel clamp. I think they are a great shotgun.

That's a helluva deal :thumbsup:

Airborne Infantryman
01-07-2012, 14:09
I was looking at the same configuration as is in the picture of the OP.

Is $700 plus tax reasonable for a new 930 or would you say that's on the high side???

:dunno:

That is kinda high. I paid $660 for mine, which is still kinda high.

I'm headed to my buddies house to put some rounds downrange with the 930 SPX and my new Remington 870P MAX. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. :wavey:

Baldy
01-07-2012, 15:27
I bought mine just a few weeks ago at Dick's Sporting Goods for $619.

Airborne Infantryman
01-07-2012, 17:30
Well I shot 65 more rounds from the Mossberg 930 SPX today - 8 rounds of Winchester 2 3/4 00 Buckshot, 7 rounds of Winchester 2 3/4 rifled slugs 25 rounds of Remington birdshot (Walmart value pack stuff), and 25 rounds of Federal birdshot (Value pack stuff as well).

It performed flawlessly, as I expected.

Through my Remington 870 Police, I shot 5 rounds of Winchester 2 3/4 rifled slugs, 25 rounds of Remington birdshot (Walmart value pack stuff), and 25 rounds of Federal birdshot (Value pack stuff as well).

Nothing significant to report; its a Remington 870. They never stutter.

cooden
01-08-2012, 08:44

That's a great deal! I just picked a used up yesterday in MINT condition for $400 & I thought I stole it!

Roostmonkey
01-09-2012, 21:10
I got a new one less than a year ago for $575. Never regretted it!