My First Reloads with my Christmas Present [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My First Reloads with my Christmas Present

lunchboxtheman
12-28-2011, 21:07
Just wanted to share my very first reloading setup I received as a gift for Christmas and say thanks to everyone. I haven't asked any questions here but I've read a lot of posts and you all have helped me greatly. It's a Lee Turret Press which was part of the delux reloading kit. I'm sure you're all familiar with it. Not the best press in the world but it will do for what I need it for.

I didn't want to drill holes in my workbench so I decided to mount it to a piece of 2x6. I'm also going to be moving soon to an apartment and I can't bring my workbench with me so I wanted my setup to be portable. I had to countersink the holes so that the board sat flush on my bench as seen in the first picture below. I just clamp it to my bench with another board for rigidity. It's not the most solid or pretty rig in the world but it works until I can find something better.

I loaded up 50 rounds of 9mm. I used 5.8 grains of Alliant Power Pistol, 1.150" OAL, CCI 550 small pistol primers, and 115 grain FMJ boolits. I stole the load from my friend - it's a mouse fart load lol. I just ordered 2k 124 grain FMJs from Precision Delta :D

I'm lucky enough to live about 20 minutes from Graf & Sons in St. Louis so I also picked up a Lee hand priming tool for $11 on their return rack. I seem to get a better feel for priming doing it on the hand tool rather than on the press.

Happy Holidays!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lifzme.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/10hm1kx.jpg

PCJim
12-28-2011, 21:35
There are many others on reloading forums, including this one, that started out the same way. Take it easy, take your time, take very specific notes about what you are doing and continue to learn and enjoy the hobby.

thorn137
12-28-2011, 22:08
Looks like a nice start! :)

Definitely get a solid mount going - it really makes a difference. And as Jim said - always, always keep records of what you're doing. You *will* want to remember what you loaded last year, some day.

Stay safe!

thorn

Three-Five-Seven
12-28-2011, 22:16
The chemicals on your bench suggest you shoot black powder.

dkf
12-28-2011, 22:32
Only horny old men shoot black powder.

lunchboxtheman
12-28-2011, 22:36
The chemicals on your bench suggest you shoot black powder.

Nope, just normal smokeless powder pistol and rifle cartridges. I use the Simple Green for when I do a detail strip of my Glock. The biohazard bottle just has Hoppe's #9 in it - the tip on it is easier to use than the standard bottle.

I just picked up the Ballistol today at Graf & Sons. I've heard good things about it so I figured I'd give it a shot. I keep an open mind about cleaning products and am always trying new things.

The can on the right is just compressed air for cleaning the work bench.

Looks like a nice start! :)

Definitely get a solid mount going - it really makes a difference. And as Jim said - always, always keep records of what you're doing. You *will* want to remember what you loaded last year, some day.

Stay safe!

thorn

Thanks! That notebook in the second picture is filling up fast.

Breadman03
12-28-2011, 22:37
There is no shame in clamps. I think it is the best way to start. You can move stff around as you settle into a routine. Enjoy!

firefighter4215
12-28-2011, 22:50
I didn't have a great place to mount my press from last Christmas either. I came up with this makeshift bracket to make it work until we move to a bigger house with room for a big work bench. It's mounted to a piece of plywood on a Craftsman toolbox. Not the prettiest setup, but it works. Enjoy your new hobby!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Zombie Steve
12-28-2011, 23:50
Congratulations, and welcome to the insane world of digging in berms for lead scrap. You may not be doing it yet, but we have you now. :cowboy:

Only horny old men that smell like a dead catfish bloating in the sun shoot black powder.

Fixed it for you.

norton
12-29-2011, 07:48
Congratulations, and welcome to the insane world of digging in berms for lead scrap. You may not be doing it yet, but we have you now. :cowboy:

Fixed it for you.

When you do begin to mine berms, remember to look over your shoulder once in a while for incoming. :supergrin:

GioaJack
12-29-2011, 13:48
Only horny old men shoot black powder.

:supergrin:

Jack