Does anyone else hate gunshops? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate gunshops?

rudeboy3
12-28-2011, 23:14
I have finally realized I cant stand gun shops or gun shows. I have been looking for a 357 snub and out of almost ten shops I only found a few and every single one except one I walk in and they stare at you. Then when you start talking to them they are rude and just have to spread their extensive knowledge about guns, ammo, politics, religion etc. :upeyes:. The used gun prices are astronomical, ammo is marked up like 300 percent, and they always try to sell you something you dont want.

Gun shows are much the same. Every table is an overweight, rude, arrogant moron who really acts like he does not want you to buy his product. Anyone else have similar experience's? I really want to find a at home FFL to deal with out here but I am new to the area, anyone know one for northern AZ?

NeverMore1701
12-28-2011, 23:38
I have finally realized I cant stand gun shops or gun shows. I have been looking for a 357 snub and out of almost ten shops I only found a few and every single one except one I walk in and they stare at you. Then when you start talking to them they are rude and just have to spread their extensive knowledge about guns, ammo, politics, religion etc. :upeyes:. The used gun prices are astronomical, ammo is marked up like 300 percent, and they always try to sell you something you dont want.

Gun shows are much the same. Every table is an overweight, rude, arrogant moron who really acts like he does not want you to buy his product. Anyone else have similar experience's? I really want to find a at home FFL to deal with out here but I am new to the area, anyone know one for northern AZ?

Sounds about right to me.

Travclem
12-28-2011, 23:41
I have had similar experiences in local gun shops. Luckily my dad has an FFL.

janice6
12-28-2011, 23:48
Except for one or two, I dread the thought of going into them.

Was at a farm supply store this PM and the guy behind the gun counter was talking with "his friends" and said "if you had no CCW but strapped on a gun and open carried it, the police would be afraid to challenge you".....My wife started laughing out loud and I had to get her out of there. Bunches of idiots lurking there.

WayaX
12-28-2011, 23:53
I'm with you on this one. I've learned to just ignore them though. They're a necessary nuisance if you want instant gratification of purchases.

My wife bought a Swiss P225 (Zurich PD trade-in) online and had it sent to a local FFL. When she took it back to another shop to try and find a holster to fit, the gun store owner swore it was a "made in Mexico" knock-off and tried to get her to buy a real "U.S." Sig.

Don't even get me started about when they decide to talk politics or religion. Oh yeah, and public ranges are a dreadfully scary place, and have an equal amount of idiots who can't keep their opinions on anything in their mouths.

Of course, there are always exceptions, but sadly they don't seem to do as well in the business.

WarEagle32
12-29-2011, 00:21
I couldn't agree with you more. I tell my wife about it because it happens sooo often. In my fairly vast experience about 9 out of 10 workers at any gun store are total a-holes that know "more" than you do about everything and are just rude. It's a weird thing that I see over and over again. It's the only service industry I can think of where the salesmen are rude. Not every time, but by far the majority of the time. Now all I need is a ton of money and an ffl and I can get my own store!!!

G30Mike
12-29-2011, 00:21
I like my LGS pretty well. Prices are fair and the people who work there have always treated me with respect. I'm pretty cool with the Glock armorer on staff and another guy who is the owners son in law. The owner is kindof a dick, but if I mess with him back he's okay. They have let me trade things out for what I paid them for them for other things I needed more, in spite of the strict return policy, so that's fair enough in my book.

The only thing I use their indoor range for is IDPA matches every two weeks. Other than that I use the free Conservation Department ran range.

RogueAshtrays
12-29-2011, 00:33
I hear what you are saying, I had issues with most of the gun shops in my area untill, Doc Hollidays in Grants Pass, Oregon opened up. They are a family owned and operated store with everything from antique to the most moderen tactical guns available. They are more than happy to pull every single gun out for you, talk to you for hours, special order absoloutly anything even if they have to spend days researching it. They don't care if you buy today, because they have such a great shop, the know you will be back and will buy eventually. They realize that if they cater to the dreamers and offer layaway, they will cover everyone. Hell they traded with me for my Glock setup, I gave em great knives and I got a great gun, holster set, and dies. Customer service is what its all about and my local gun shop has amazing customer service!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

LawScholar
12-29-2011, 00:43
Been to about 20 gun shops. Been treated like an absolute fool at all of them. That's what I get for wearing glasses and going to college. Clearly, I can't know anything about guns.

Hate gun shops.

Single exception? Orchard's Ace Hardware in Loveland, Colorado. I'm unaffiliated, but I wandered in with a friend and the lady behind the counter was amazing, handing me tons of guns to play with even after I said I couldn't buy that day. If I had an LGS like that, they'd get LOTS of my money.

Lior
12-29-2011, 01:14
Entering gunshops is often a necessary evil for being able to protect yourself and yours or for meeting incredibly decent folks at shooting matches.

Ftttu
12-29-2011, 01:27
I know how y'all feel. They usually lighten up to me after I talk to them a while due to my military service and being in law enforcement. Lately, the gun shops in my area haven't been doing so well and have closed up. That leads me to larger stores that incidently sell weapons and ammo like the PX, Walmart, and Academy without the pushing of many of the views that I just happen to believe in anyway.

NeverMore1701
12-29-2011, 01:31
FWIW, Academy is by far the best in town when it comes to both prices and service. Selection is generally ok too.

Sadly, there are still a couple of employees and the usual crapton of customers who have to be stupid.

mixflip
12-29-2011, 01:31
Im lucky enough to live in Vegas where we have a pawn shop that has a pretty big selection of new and used guns. Its always a surprise when I go in there because you just never know what has been traded or pawned and is for sale?

I only go to the big gun show because I park for free and get in for free. If not for that I would not even go to guns shows here.

mongo356
12-29-2011, 01:34
Gave up on gun shows some time ago......

Gun shops are kinda like restaurants to me. eating out of town may keep you from starving but the hometown restaurant is the best. My LGS rocks!! really have no ambition to go anywhere else. Most other places the people or salesmen are what kills it for me.

MinnesnowtaWild
12-29-2011, 02:47
I seriously thought I was crazy, but this thread confirms that I am not. I don't know what it is about gun shops, but 95% of the time the employees are just total jerks. I am 24 and in a law enforcement academy and I look like I am younger, so I get treated even worse than most. I give A LOT of respect to employees who treat me fairly like they would anyone else.

There are many gun stores in my area, and the vast majority of them apparently all hire the biggest morons possible. If I were the owner of a gun shop, I would rather have someone who is friendly and respectful to everyone, young or old, male or female, etc than someone who is knowledgeable in firearms but has poor people skills.

It really blows my mind how these people even have jobs...

MinnesnowtaWild
12-29-2011, 02:49
And I would like to add that I hate buying stuff from big box stores if there is a local shop that carries the same product. But, sadly, the big box stores are the ones who have employees who treat people fairly. They may not be as knowledgeable about firearms as the guys at the local gun shop, but if they are respectful to me and offer their time to help me then I don't really care if they aren't extremely knowledgeable with firearms. When I go to buy a gun I have done many hours of research, so I don't need someone to tell me what I should get.

gadgetnut259
12-29-2011, 04:41
I couldn't agree more with the OP. There are two gunshops in my area that I will not go back to. Not that anything specific has happened; just a general crappy attitude and rudeness. There is one shinning exception around here (W.E. Sell in Hanover, PA). Nice place that's been in business for a long time. It's run by a father and son and they are both polite, friendly and just great to deal with.

Psychman
12-29-2011, 04:48
I find it somewhat ironic that someone with the screen name of Rudeboy would be talking about how rude gun shop people are.

I love my gun shop in Beechgrove Indiana. They are very friendly and call me by name when I walk in. They work their butts off to get the guns I want and they thank me at least a few times for my business before I walk out the door. Oh and the prices are always lower than I could get elsewhere including Buds, and Gander Mountain.

Sgt. Rambo
12-29-2011, 04:51
My "local" gunshop is about 30 mins away. I've been going there on and off for 25 years. Good people but I can see why they would be a little cranky watching some of the yahoos they deal with day in and day out. Very pro Second Amendment and actually PROMOTE it via radio and internet. Good staff and I don't mind going there. Havent' had many other experiences outside of this shop. Gun SHOWS... yes different story. Mutants of the world unite!!

uhlawpup
12-29-2011, 05:00
If you don't like gun shops or gun shows, why go to them? Buy on line, and do the transfer through a FFL near you. No one is forcing you to suffer.

Better yet, if you think you can do better, open one of your own. There's money to be made...

I think you'll find a lot of the talk you hear in gun shops and gun shows is sales talk, attempting a rapport to get you to spend money. If you have even a modicum of intelligence, you can easily learn to ignore it.

collim1
12-29-2011, 05:05
Not me, I love a good gun shop. I love to browse, barter and shoot the bull. That beig said I have a favorite LGS and a few that I avoid in my area.

Some gun shops dont realize that someone is not going to buy a gun every time they walk in the door. Its bad business to be rude to browsers.

NeverMore1701
12-29-2011, 05:06
Not me, I love a good gun shop. I love to browse, barter and shoot the bull. That beig said I have a favorite LGS and a few that I avoid in my area.

Some gun shops dont realize that someone is not going to buy a gun every time they walk in the door. Its bad business to be rude to browsers.

A good gunshop, sure. Pity is, they're not exactly common, at least around these parts.

Psychman
12-29-2011, 05:13

Exactly! You never know when a browser will turn into a buyer and a longtime good customer.

gadgetnut259
12-29-2011, 05:17
If you don't like gun shops or gun shows, why go to them? Buy on line, and do the transfer through a FFL near you. No one is forcing you to suffer.

Better yet, if you think you can do better, open one of your own. There's money to be made...

I think you'll find a lot of the talk you hear in gun shops and gun shows is sales talk, attempting a rapport to get you to spend money. If you have even a modicum of intelligence, you can easily learn to ignore it.
Well gee, let's see...why would people who like guns go to a gunshop? I think the point of this thread isn't that we have a problem with gunshops. We have a problem with some of the people who run them. There seems to be a strange phenomenon that occurs in that setting that you just don't see in too many other types of stores (the cocky, rude attitude).

Oh, and your remark about just attempting to get you to spend money...that's the part I don't get. With the attitude some of them have, they act like they barely want to be bothered by you. That's not good customer service or salesmanship.

Bren
12-29-2011, 05:19

I think I have mentioned in the past, that many "net.shooters" who own a gun and post here are not really the kind of people one finds in the shooting community - in fact, many are so opposite that hanging around real shooters and hunters might be dangerous for them. If you walk in a gun shop and they think you look like a thug, gangsta-wannabe, sissy-boy, or some other variant of people they don't like, you're not going to get a warm reception. Gun dealers are often not as willing to put up with strange customers for a buck as other retailers.

My point is, if you walk into 10 different gun shops and they all give you an attitude and stare, maybe it's you.

Do you, maybe, have a lot of tattoos?...maybe some punk/Oi! oriented t-shirt? Maybe, worst of all, piercings? I suspect it's all about how you look, without speculating too far on your user name and whether it means you're a skinhead of the many varieties that are around these days, or some ska fan, or punk rocker or whatever.

glocked1
12-29-2011, 05:24
I feel the same way the OP does. I go to one shop and a guy who has a FFL to do the transfer. Most of my shopping is online.

Psychman
12-29-2011, 05:25
Good points Bren. I have been in lots of gun shops and never had a bad reaction from people working there. But then I look like a doctor.

Nestor
12-29-2011, 05:27

That was never my experience here. Must be the cultural thing.

TN.Frank
12-29-2011, 05:35
We don't have any "Gun Shops" in Crossville but we do have 3 Pawn Shops that sell firearms and I agree, 99% of the time the prices are way over what would be normal, real world prices. Of course our local sales network for guns(Gun Owners Club) where locals list their firearms for sale tend to be on the high side of what you'd expect to pay too.
I quit going to gun shows quite a few years ago. The fee to get into em' went up to $10 bucks, prices were at or more then what I could either order or buy locally at and they're just so many firearms and people that you tend to get sensory overload to the point where you just can't focus on stuff like you should.
I've had my C&R for 6 years now and just renewed it for another 3. I tend to like the older military stuff anyway so I figured what the heck, get my Type 03 and buy stuff myself instead of giving the local pawn shop all that extra cash for basically nothing.
As far as buying a gun goes, I do my homework on what a new or used gun that I'm interested should sell for, I shop around until I find price that fits within my budget and the "real world" price of the gun I want and I don't buy unless I feel like I'm getting a proper deal.
People always talk about how expensive Beretta firearms are, well, I got my 92F Compact for $400 and after I sold it I got into my current PX4 Storm for $400. Neither of which I consider higher priced then any other quality semi-auto, you just need to set your budget and shop around until you find the right deal.

checkyoursix
12-29-2011, 05:49
In my area - CT is not a big state - you can find everything from excellent to awful and, as usual, most of the people try to do their best. Are they all polite, knowledgeable, educated and ready to educate people on firearms? No, but neither are car dealers, employees at the shoe store, etc.

I would also point out that an idiot can hardly hurt me at a shoe store unless he trips me, but that is not the case in a gun store: I have seen people pulling out loaded guns more than once, and so I am ready to allow for a higher level of tension when dealing with gun store employees. They have to be always alert, it's stressful and tiring and of course it shows.

Have had my share of unpleasant interactions due to ignorance of the sale person, but it's part of the game particularly these days. We focus on one product, research it online, by the time we test drive a car or dry fire a gun we know plenty more then was ever possible in the past. If an employee doesn't have an answer I can very easily pull out my iPhone and find it in a matter of minutes, no big deal.

I for the most part try to support local stores, buying online does not allow me to hold, handle dry fire and examine a gun closely. All second hand guns online have little wear and 100 rounds, not so at the store.

Lastly, all new gun are fabulous according to magazines, all Tauruses are flawless according to the NRA. Only at gun stores have heard some people criticize a gun, point out its weak points, offer alternatives.

Know your area, know your market and have fun there are nice people everywhere.

unit1069
12-29-2011, 05:56
I have finally realized I cant stand gun shops or gun shows.

When the economy was chugging along I felt the same way as you for a couple of years. However, I did find a great deal on a Ruger Mark II at a gun shop a couple of years ago and an unbelievable deal on a brand new Steyr S9-A1 at a gun show earlier this year. I am thinking with the Obama Depression some competition is beginning to creep back into the firearms scene.

Jake Starr
12-29-2011, 05:56
My point is, if you walk into 10 different gun shops and they all give you an attitude and stare, maybe it's you.

Ah now Bren, now you've gone to meddling...:whistling:

I work at a local GS/shooting range. We try to push ourselves on customer service. After all it is all about retail and we just happen to be selling guns. But most who end up working in GS usually have an affinity towards what they sell and more often than not have strong opinions. We try to refrain from being boorish, political, religious or know-it-alls. I learn something new each week from my customers and I have been around guns/gunshops my entire life.

But as has been stated selling guns in not like selling toasters. And while we have a great customer base here, we do get the occasional mall ninja and ganstas who come in looking for a Desert Eagle in a Foo-Foo mag and shoulder rig since they are interested in getting a CCDW. :upeyes:

Usually I have found that you get treated the way you treat people. I am also from NJ but have lived in KY for over 30yrs. I really like the people here. Big difference between here and where I grew up. Maybe it is just your part of the country. I've met Psychman. A nice guy. Typical for this region, IMHO.

CajunBass
12-29-2011, 06:01
I find it somewhat ironic that someone with the screen name of Rudeboy would be talking about how rude gun shop people are.

You picked up on that too?

If I walked into ten businesses, I don't care what they are and got treated rudely at all of them, I'd start to wonder what I was doing wrong.

pugman
12-29-2011, 06:03
Gun shows...for the most part yes. I like the fact everything is out on a table and instead of going from case to case in a store you can simply ask "would you mind if I picked this up"

Its amazing how many gun show dealer's attitudes change if you are simply polite and ask to handle a firearm.

However, most shows in my AO have become one step up from a flea market. I have found some good deals but their selection is horrible even on something common like a Glock 19.

Stores...not many in these parts. However, Gander Mountain did recently open Gun World...the largest gun shop in the state. Since the salespeople are commission they are sincere about answering questions and getting whatever you want (in a firearm :whistling:) in your hands. Their only problem? When you are paying $10/hour you wont' be attracting knowledgable staff. One salesperson told me he didn't even like guns. WTH?

If you are serious about purchasing a firearm...their selection was unbelievable...they advertise 10,000 firearms on display...

Bren
12-29-2011, 06:07

Actually, "rude boy" doesn't usually mean "a boy who is rude." It's a term for old school Jamaican gangsters, in Jamaica and England in the 60's and 70's. These days, it is most often associated with traditional skinheads and fans of ska music or old school punk, hence my question about whether he was dressed like a skinhead, punk, etc., when walking into the shops.

southernshooter
12-29-2011, 06:13
GS employee: "And this .357 will also shoot 38 special"
me:All .357 revolvers will shoot .38 special"
GS employee:"No they won't"
me:"Show me one that won't"
Other GS employee:"He's right, Stuart"

mfm9
12-29-2011, 06:36
I saw this gun shop in Louisiana once. It was unbelievable. Some guy owned it, but let his daughter run it. She had an OK body, but her teeth seemed kind of jacked up. You wouldn't dare tickle her. She had such a whiny voice, I'd be scared to hear what her laugh was like.

Dentition notwithstanding, this goofy, speedfreak-looking kid was always hanging around her, hitting on her. I don't think the father was too happy about it.

And the father! He was always working on some bizarre project, like combining a pellet gun with a 10ga shotgun, just so he could say he'd done something nobody else had ever done.

Apparently, this shop stays in business because they have naive customers who are willing to pay $3k for an AK with a little paint on it.

Anyway, "Walking Dead" was coming on, so I just changed the channel.

-Mike

rahrah12
12-29-2011, 06:40
There is a gun shop in my area that treats me right when I am in there. They get all of my business (which isn't much).

Every time that I have been in there I have been greeted and treated with respect...when I leave they might "mf" me all day...BUT while I am in there they treat me well. When I get my next gun I will go there first...

This isn't true of all of the shops in my area which is fine. I just don't go back.

I had an experience with trying to buy a knife last weekend. I was in a shop the previous day so I knew they were sold out. I called the next day inquiring about when they might get some more stock in and how much. Lady was nothing but attitude...no biggie. I'll just order it online and wait a week...

It baffles me that a company would allow bad customer service but it is their business and they can run it how they want.

ashecht
12-29-2011, 06:40
I have sworn off gun shows here in NC. Too much beef jerky and and wood carvings for me. Scary rednecks behind the tables trying to convince a 5'1" woman that a 1911 is the perfect gun for her purse. Most guns and ammo ridiculously overpriced. Too many scary people waving their pistol purchase permits around. Folks walking around with their varmint gun over their shoulder with a "for sale" sign taped to their back. Too many mall ninjas fondling Desert Eagle AE50's claiming "it's just like mine at home". As for lgs's, I recently joined a brand new beautiful indoor range. 18 lanes, 9 tactical, just beautiful. Huge inside, nice comfy leather couches to watch folks. I love the folks who run the range, the RO's are very attentive, and they are always in the range when something looks suspect. They know when folks know what they are doing, and usually put us on side of the range so they can pay closer attention to the newbies. Now the folks working the gun counter, and the gunsmith for that matter, are another story entirely. The gunsmith in particular, worried me. When I bought my Beretta 92fs inox, I wanted to get a new mainspring installed and brought it to him. He told me he had NEVER worked on one. THAT worried me immediately. Its not like a 92 is a rare/uncommon gun. The folks behind the counter are friendly enough, but after shooting for 3 years, I am convinced I have forgotten more than they will ever know. Things that look fishy, feel fishy, and smell fishy, usually are:cool:

Stefan
12-29-2011, 06:44
I have only been in one gun shop which is where I bought my one and only gun. It's a fairly new shop in a very small rural town. From the first time I walked in I never felt put down. I knew I was about as green as they come going in. Never been in a gun shop and didn't know anything about what I wanted. The owner was sitting behind the register talking to a customer so I walked over to the pistol section and another employee immediately came to my assistance. I told him what I wanted and he took out a number of guns and talked to me about them. I am sure he realized I had no idea what I was doing, but he never let on. I felt like an idiot picking up the guns because I had never held a gun before. But he was forthcoming in what I should be looking for. He answered all my questions and didn't seem to have any qualms with me leaving without a gun. Before I left the owner greeted me and gave me some safety brochures. A few days later I came back and bought a Glock 17 from the owner and everything went fine. He even introduced me to a teacher who happened to be in the shop at the time. I never felt like he was trying to up sell me or be a tough guy gun shop owner. I came back the next day because I jammed the gun and he and his gunsmith were happy to help and explain what I did wrong. I felt like a complete rookie, but they treated me nicely. Went back a few weeks later because of brass in my face and all the gunsmith could suggest was to send it back to Glock. But he took the time to give the gun a thorough once over. So, very pleased with the shop. They are called Thunderstick Enterprises in Fawn Grove, PA.

Stefan

LawScholar
12-29-2011, 07:11
I posted in this thread about my general dissatisfaction with all but one of the 20 gun stores I have visited, with the exception of Orchard’s Ace Hardware in Loveland, CO. I used to have two exceptions, and the second gets a chance to redeem itself, but I was significantly soured on it by my last visit. I consider this visit illustrative of why local gun shops are losing business, and price is NOT the sole driving factor. For my family, it’s all about service.

Context is important for this story. This LGS was not a random one we’d not visited. This shop was one of the good ones, or so we thought. We’ve bought 4 guns from this LGS in the last 3-4 years.

A few days ago, my mom, dad and I decided to go gun shopping. I’m at college most of the time, and they’re the ones who got me in to shooting in the first place. It was a nice experience we don’t get to have very often.
My family is not rich by any means, but in the past few years we’ve been fortunate enough to probably, mathematically, be in the 1%. Having spent most of my life (and almost all of my parents’ lives) dirt poor, we still live like we’re dirt poor, for the most part. On the day we went shopping, my dad – a fan of do-it-yourself home projects, woodworking, and painting – was wearing a well-used, torn, paint and plaster-stained pair of Carhartt overalls, their medium-tone rusty brown highly faded by years of work.

The man could afford twenty pairs, but that’s not his style. He uses one thing until it breaks, and it was his insistence on quality that leads to my highly vocal distaste for cheap, bargain products, including firearms (and his tutelage on looking at more than the price tag in regards to the word “cheap” that led me to love Ruger despite a low price point). My mom was wearing a black Carhartt coat and gloves which covered her costly jewelry. In fact, just before this, we had stopped at a very nice jewelry store, that was immaculately clean and full of expensively-dressed people. They treated us like kings. They have worked in sales long enough not to judge by appearance. I was unremarkable, in a grey Nike hoodie and blue jeans, wearing leather work boots.

My dad’s been out of the gun hobby for a while. He carries, much to my joy, a 4” Colt Python .357 Magnum. Judging by the finish and prices I’ve seen on Gunbroker, it’s somewhere in the neighborhood of a $1,500 gun at auction. His philosophy mirrors mine, and his Python goes with him camping, walking the dogs, and on road trips. It rests in a simple leather holster for the most part. There are no safe queens in my parents’ house.

We went in to the LGS, looking for a holster for my mom’s Ruger LCR .38, and some balls and black powder for my dad (my brother got him a black powder revolver for Christmas. I want to say it’s a Pietta New Army 1858? I know very little about black powder guns. Is that good one?).

My dad, also thinking about getting a .45, had brought along about $800 cash and a credit card that could have purchased anything in the store. He’s unassuming, and almost never buys anything for himself. Further, as evidenced by his dented pickup and stained overalls, he’s not the kind of guy to flaunt anything. Money only comes out when he’s ready.

As he picked out his black powder and balls, my mom and I stepped up to the case. There were about three customers in the store not counting us. Three employees, as well. Two of the other customers were together, and simply buying some hunting rifle ammo. The other customer was chatting about 1911s with one of the three employees. As my dad picked out his purchases, my mom and I found a fitting LCR holster and began to browse the gun counter. We greeted the employee warmly. He responded with crossed arms and a grunt. For a while, I point out various models of handgun and their features to my mom ( who doesn’t know much about guns, but carries and practices eagerly with her LCR and her Glock 22 .40 nightstand gun – by the way, she loves .40 recoil :p ). I noticed a Colt Gold Cup Trophy Match in .45 ACP. I know from talking to my dad that’s his favorite .45 of all time. His dad used to own a Gold Cup. I’m very excited. My dad doesn’t much care about Bud’s price. He orders nothing online. If it’s at the store, he doesn’t mind a markup. He likes to take it home that day. If things hadn’t transpired as they did, this LGS had its fifth sale to my family.

By the by, I really like the look of the stainless XDM-45 Compact. Much slimmer than I anticipated.

As my mom (who is very sociable) continues to try and get the crossed-arm employee to interact with us, she mentions that we had just come from the jewelry store and “now it’s boy time”. The counter clerk grunts and responds, with a dismissive flick of his hand “Why don’t you head on back to jewelry, the men are working here.”

That was strike one. And a big one. Don’t belittle my mom. He got a sharp glare from me (at 6’5”, 250, my sharp glares aren’t pleasant, even from a nerd like me). He doesn’t much seem to care. My mom, a conflict avoider, laughs it off and I follow her cue. My mom and I continue to look. I point out the Beretta 92FS, my favorite semi design of all time. My mom expresses a desire to look at it, several times. The counter clerk does not respond to multiple requests from her. Keep in mind that we are standing literally two feet from him, and there are NO OTHER CUSTOMERS needing his help. He’s just staring at us. I look him in the eye and say loudly “We will look at the Beretta, if that’s okay.” He takes his time, saunters a few steps forward, and begrudgingly hands us the 92 without clearing it. I clear it (drop mag, open slide) and he looks at me like I’m weird for doing it. He lets us hold it for about 15 seconds before snatching it back. This is strike two.

My mom asks “Can we look at this one, too?” Pointing to a Ruger SP-101 with a 2.25” barrel. Having had a great experience with her LCR, she quite likes Ruger.

He says “I’ll tell you what. You can hold anything you’re going to buy.”

That was, most assuredly, a strike three. My mom and I go and tell my dad what has transpired. My dad’s a happy shopper. He has selected about $150 of reloading supplies, ammo, and holsters. Even two boxes of .45 ACP in anticipation of purchasing a new .45. When we tell him what has happened, he sets down all his purchases. We inform a manager (one of the few who doesn’t know us by sight) what happened. She doesn’t seem particularly concerned, and asks if she can get us something to look at, not understanding that our issue is not with seeing the products, but the utter dismissiveness of the clerk.

Now is my favorite part of the story. It’s a bit silly, juvenile perhaps, but I enjoyed it. My mom asked my dad to borrow his $800 cash, his credit card, and removes her right glove and takes off a very expensive ring. She marches to the gentleman who treated us so derisively and is watching our complaint about him with an amused expression, and places these things on the counter before him, saying “Just because somebody dresses like a redneck doesn’t mean they don’t have money, ***hole.”

His smile disappears, and the manager for the first time seems to care.

We left after that, and I’ll probably give that LGS another chance based on past experience, but I posted this novel-length diatribe so that those of you on this forum who own gun shops can understand the exact process by which you lose business. It’s not always that Bud’s beats you. There wasn’t a gun in that case we couldn’t have gotten for $75-100 cheaper online. But my dad doesn’t care about that. He doesn’t give a price tag more than a glance. If you’re good to him, you get his money. On this day, a $1,000 sale was lost due to utter asshattery.

Sorry for the TL;DR.

collim1
12-29-2011, 07:16
When I bought my Beretta 92fs inox, I wanted to get a new mainspring installed and brought it to him. He told me he had NEVER worked on one. THAT worried me immediately. Its not like a 92 is a rare/uncommon gun.

Atleast he was honest about it, alot of people would have just used your gun and a youtube video to learn on.

Bilbo Bagins
12-29-2011, 07:18
I don't have these problems like the OP, however I agree buying guns is different then any other retail experience. Most Gun shop guys could never sell cars or clothes, they are just too creepy, too mall ninja, or to opinionated. I literally been in a gun store, holding one of their guns, and was talk OUT of buying the thing that I was holding, and I would leave the store empty handed.

Also, I find most gun stores have a average price for guns based on what town they are in, but some charge outragous prices, because they are located in a ghetto, or they are the only store in a rural town, or they are simply bullheaded. I have seen Taurus PT22 that usually sell for around $200 on sale for $400.

Finally why do some gun stores insist on being small, dirty, dark and creepy. How many hardcore 2nd amendment, You steal we shoot, no cell phone signs do you need. I'm use to it, but I bet most newbies and women avoid gunshops like that. Its like your going into an Opium Den.

Some local gun shops around me got the hint, and act more like a retailer. Competitive prices on guns, clean and bright stores, and staff that could be selling watches as well as guns.

Gun buying should be like going to a brothel. Clean but secure, look at the pretty things, if I'm not sure what I want I tell you what I like and you line up a few beauties that fit that description, and no one should not be judgemental if you want something a little "weird" or "freaky".

I don't want to be your best friend, I don't want to hear how bad ass you are, or what you think of Obama and his Blue helmet Army. Just sell me a freakin gun.

s&wfan
12-29-2011, 07:20
I must be lucky, because 2 of the 3 gun shops around here are run by super nice, helpful people, and the third one has one guy who is kind of pompous, but the rest of the staff is nice and very friendly.

HKLovingIT
12-29-2011, 07:37
I like my local gun shop pretty well. They always treat me good. Markup on some firearms is a little high so as long as I know what a good price is before I go I have no concerns. For example, I won't buy a Glock there. Their price is cheaper than Gander, etc. but about $50-$60 above what the local GSSF dealer charges. Their price on S&W, SIG, H&K, Colt, et. al. is just a touch higher than Bud's. Ammo price for range fodder is a little more pricey than Wal-Mart, but I'm willing to pay that to avoid going to Wal-Mart plus I can buy by the case here.

There are a couple of employees there that are ninjas and I hear them recommending the weirdest stuff to people who don't know better. I think you get some of that anywhere. But, for the most part, the guys there seem to always recommend common sense things to people and don't act rude or anything. A couple of the guys really know what they are talking about in regards to rifles and optics. They are avid big game hunters and also work as guides. I appreciate their advice.

I don't go to Gun Shows anymore except one annual one. They are like a bad flea market now. Tons of tables of absolute junk, sky high ridiculous prices, bad attitudes.

dwhite53
12-29-2011, 07:47
I do research before hand. I arrive knowing what I want to look at. Once it's in my hands I tune everything out except the words "discount" or "sale". I trust my research and have always ended up with good products.

All the Best,
D. White

rudeboy3
12-29-2011, 07:48
Actually, "rude boy" doesn't usually mean "a boy who is rude." It's a term for old school Jamaican gangsters, in Jamaica and England in the 60's and 70's. These days, it is most often associated with traditional skinheads and fans of ska music or old school punk, hence my question about whether he was dressed like a skinhead, punk, etc., when walking into the shops.

Uh no thats not what my name is referring to, thats way before my time. As regards to the way I look, wranglers and cowboy boots with short hair should fit in fine in AZ right?:upeyes: Maybe I am just a believer in actual service as opposed to pulling teeth when I want to spend money.

mfm9
12-29-2011, 08:55
Now is my favorite part of the story. It’s a bit silly, juvenile perhaps, but I enjoyed it. My mom asked my dad to borrow his $800 cash, his credit card, and removes her right glove and takes off a very expensive ring. She marches to the gentleman who treated us so derisively and is watching our complaint about him with an amused expression, and places these things on the counter before him, saying “Just because somebody dresses like a redneck doesn’t mean they don’t have money, ***hole.”Your mom is the real gem in this story. The moral is, "Don't p*ss off a cowgirl, they get even."

-Mike

ChicagoZman
12-29-2011, 08:55
I try to think of every customer as though they were my wife, son, daughter or nephew/niece and spend as much (or little) time with them as they desire so long as there isn't a line of other customers building behind them.

Sometimes the customer makes it difficult, such as when they start discussing political conspiracy, ask for a "hi-cap clip" for their "nine millimeter luger forty", a box of "hollow heads", the best rounds for their "chopper", or a "holster for their .25", often in low volume grunts and mumbles that make it extremely difficult for me to understand ( I suffer from tinnitus caused by a ND in the store from a brilliant customer that negligently fired a 9mm from a .40 Sigma).

Know what you want to learn, speak clearly and with sufficient volume to be understood and be considerate of other customers.

Dr. Leaky
12-29-2011, 09:01
To the OP: I don't know any private FFLs and I don't know what part of northern AZ you live in, but Mazy's in Chino Valley is a real standup shop - it's small but the people who work there are professional yet friendly. Plus you can pick up some primo cigars.:cool:

fnfalman
12-29-2011, 09:12
I think that the problem with most gun store workers is that they think that they know what's best for you.

You're in the sales business. Your ultimate goal is to sell. Not to give out political speeches, not to promote one brand over the other, or tell lores about what you've read in the gunzines, in the intrawebz or whatever. Sell the customers whatever they want to buy. If they were to want your opinion, then they'd ask for it. Then give specific opinions about the products.

I was at Caliber Shooting Range/Gun Shop in Albuquerque Christmas Eve, trying to see if I could find something for myself. I asked to look at a used SW 686 wheelgun and the chick started telling me about the M&P plastic phantastic and how good they are. I told her I'm not interested in SW pistols yet she kept on harping about how great they are and how high they're rated by so n so. WHO CARES?!! Did I ask to see any plastic pistol at all? Did I even ask to see any pistol? I asked to see a wheelgun. If she were smart, she would have shown me the wheelgun and then maybe talk to me about other wheelguns in the shelf.

If she didn't have a decent set of tatas, I would have walked off immediately. However I humored her a bit, playing the naif new gun owner, got some glances down her blouse then thanked her and walked off to another shop to buy another gun.

H&K 4 LIFE
12-29-2011, 09:14
I think it's important to be an educated shopper, that is to say that optimally, you should already know the firearm you intend on purchasing and any details surrounding it before you set foot in the gunstore to purchase it.

In general, if you ask someone behind the counter for advice then expect you are going to get their (sometimes strong) opinion on the item as well. By already knowing what you want and being informed, you can eliminate a lot of "static".

I have never been treated rudely by any gun shop in my area, and actually usually meet some very polite and helpful people. Maybe I'm just lucky. :)

LawScholar
12-29-2011, 09:20
Your mom is the real gem in this story. The moral is, "Don't p*ss off a cowgirl, they get even."

-Mike

:D Yes sir. I showed her your post and she got a kick out of it.

22rtf2
12-29-2011, 09:25
I am not LE, never have been. 5 close friends I grew up with became LE. After they were on the job a couple years they just started looking at everybody as dirtbags (myself included). I have been close to a lot of LE, and imo they just get that way.

That said, most of the workers at the LGS here are LE. I think it carries over.

Gaucho
12-29-2011, 09:39
I think that depending on the clientele, they get apathetic. It is amazing how they suddenly turn around when you actually want to purchase a gun and they are and nice as can be.

youngAR
12-29-2011, 09:42
I thought I was the only one that disliked going to gunshows and stores. The old heads and know-it-alls wear me out. For the most part, I order my stuff online.

G17gen3
12-29-2011, 09:44
I finally found one I like but have some trouble getting the price where I want it to be. That said, I'll pay a few extra bucks to support them but won't pay too many of those bucks!

dabigguns357
12-29-2011, 09:59
yes i hate gun shops and gun shows,they are local extortion markets of which i will not support.

used sig p6 $600.00 with cracked grip and well used

used dpms 223 $850.00 no box or x mags

used glock 22 3 gen $550.00 no box or x mags

used S&W 4046 $650.00 beat up and well used

winchester ranger t's 45.96 a box
winchester white box 29.95 a box

All 5 of the local gun shops and these are their firm prices on things in general.I'de hat eto see their new prices.

TalkToTheGlock
12-29-2011, 09:59
Even the one I goto all the time just stare at me. Maybe because the one time I asked them for a plasma rifle in a 40 watt range.

iPhone 4

JFrame
12-29-2011, 10:21
In my personal experiences, I found what the OP said to be much more the case perhaps 10-15 years ago. In recent years, my experiences in the four or five local gunstores I've frequented have been anywhere from neutral to actually friendly. I don't know if my area has had an upsurge in customer service training or what, but that's what I've encountered.

At the gun shows I've been to, the folks behind the tables have spanned the range from friendly to downright gruff and surly...So depending on the region one is in, I can see the general experiences being different.

utah
12-29-2011, 10:44
.....Do you, maybe, have a lot of tattoos?...maybe some punk/Oi! oriented t-shirt? Maybe, worst of all, piercings? I suspect it's all about how you look,.....

Tell me you’re kidding!!!! If I took the same approach towards dealers I wouldn’t have purchased ANY of my NFA stuff except one, 90% of C3 dealers I’ve run into have been tattooed so much it was bordering in ridiculous, piercings as well and some of those I’d bet good money they’d set off a metal detector. Matter of fact wouldn’t have purchased half of my Title II stuff for the same reasons.

Gregg702
12-29-2011, 11:15
There are 2 local gunshops that I go to, mostly because they are staffed by friendly and knowledgable people. The rest are as OP described, know it alls who would rather foist their opinions on you than sell you a gun.

22rtf2
12-29-2011, 11:20
Even the one I goto all the time just stare at me. Maybe because the one time I asked them for a plasma rifle in a 40 watt range.

iPhone 4

Is that a "Terminator" reference? Props!!!!!!

Vance665
12-29-2011, 11:25
There are five gun shops within about 10 minutes from my house and I can't stand any of them. The only shop I go to is about 20 more minutes out of my way but it's worth it to deal with decent people. I don't mind gun shows, but don't get me wrong I know what tables to avoid.

Spiffums
12-29-2011, 12:26
Most are pretty decent around here. You have to overlook the kool aid drinkers, 40 cals and EOTechs ain't my thang but they push em anyhow at one place.

TXMary
12-29-2011, 12:47
I am 24 and in a law enforcement academy and I look like I am younger, so I get treated even worse than most....

Try being a grandmother!!!

BailRecoveryAgent
12-29-2011, 13:40

Same here, there is a couple I no longer do business with because of poor customer service. They fail to realize the guy buying a .22lr bulk pack or a couple 50 round boxes of ammo may be the guy who comes in next week and drops several hundred on a gun and some gear.

I think I have mentioned in the past, that many "net.shooters" who own a gun and post here are not really the kind of people one finds in the shooting community

Yep, go read posts where people post about all the "gun control I'd be in favor of" because it "sounds like a good idea to me". Having a gun makes one no more a gun rights advocate or a shooter than owning a piano makes them a musician. Plus, gun shop employees often deal with the same people everyday that come here and post pure brilliance for all of us to read.

Thats usually the case.

lawandorder
12-29-2011, 13:56
Love gunshops, just don't care for most of the idjits that work in in em.

RGbiker
12-29-2011, 15:30
I visit just a few gun stores in Tucson to look for a good deal. For ammo, it's the gun show when Miwall Corp comes to Tucson.

Dr.Midnight
12-29-2011, 16:48
I hate all gun shops that don't treat me with respect and act like I am a nuisance. It's all about finding that gem in a sea of crap. It took me a while, but I finally found a shop I LOVE in Indy. I drive a little over an hour to to get there, but it's well worth it. The owner will not let you leave until you have fondeled multiple guns. It's not a pressure sales tactic either. He's truly ethusiastic about firearms and he wants you to get that same feeling. Pretty great place.

rgregoryb
12-29-2011, 16:54
I'm retired LE, used to go to the LGS in the area before retirement and I always wondered why the employees were so crabby all the time. I retired moved to another state and work a couple of days at a LGS for "toy" $$$. Now I know why they were so crabby...I am going to paint with a broad brush here and I know it does not include everybody ....."everything is not an emergency" you forgetting to buy or order a very specific type of ammo the day before opening day is not my fault. "I need some super magnum Nosler BT ballistic tip (red only) DX,XTP, 142.5 grain in 257 Roberts Improved that I used to sight my rifle in 3 years ago and I am leaving for the Crimean for a hunt in the morning" is not my problem.

"I just saw the Raging Circuit court presiding judge in Weird Gun Weekly and I just want to put one in my hand" What do you mean they aren't released yet...there in the magazine.

"you still have that Ruger 1911 I saw 2 weeks ago?" I told you I might be back sometime this month to put it on layaway , and you sold it?

"I need a chopstick, with a beam, night aims, monkey ball mag, muffler and cooler in SKS round.....does it matter if I was convicted of a felony in another state"?

"I want to get a gun for a friend of mine, cause he can't do the paperwork" WHY can't I buy it for him?

and my favorite:
"I'll be back to get it"

from another employee:
"working in a gunshop you get to see the people that really need a gun, and the people that make you glad you have a gun.

barth
12-29-2011, 17:13

I love to check the used guns for deals and check my LGS and Gun Shows regularly.
I enjoy it!

If you know exactly what your looking for?
Tell them up front.
Otherwise, say you're just browsing.
And will get their attention if needed.

Over the years -
S&W 629-2 44 Magnum Mountain gun $350
S&W 640-1 357 Magnum $489
Sig Sauer P239/357 $550

I still have, love and shoot all three!

GlockFish
12-29-2011, 17:21
Gun shops are no different than any other kind of shops. They all have rude employees who don't really feel like helping customers or answering stupid questions.
I guess I'm lucky, I like the gun shops around me. The only problem I have is they are usually so busy it might take a while to help.

Having said that, I have been to gunshops where the employees and customers (customers who obviously are there every day, who treat the gunshop like a coffee shop, and are only there to B.S.) are more concerned with bull****ting with each other than helping someone who actually wants to buy a gun.

cdog533
12-29-2011, 17:48

Yes, exactly my experience too. Either fat, arrogant pricks or dorky power-trip pricks.

Back in my hometown, there was a good ole boy that had his own little gun shop in his garage. It opened at 6 PM, people used to come by to BS, hang out til midnight. He was nice, everyone was nice. Great place. Now, he only had a few things, but he'd FFL anything you wanted at a good price.

OH by the way, this ISN'T just gun shops. Go to a racing shop for cars/engines, a Harley Davidson dealership, or an exotic car dealership, and you've got the same kind of holier-than-thou *********s...

michael e
12-29-2011, 18:04
This is why I deal with a FFL that works out of house. He doesn't tell me what I should buy. He will send me a message if something he thinks I might want goes on sale. The end of my gun store days was when I was looking for my 357sigs and 45gaps. They all wanted to give me reasons why I should not buy them.
As for gun shows we have a few good dealers that show up to the large shows that have good deals, and helpful. But for the most part the shows are overpriced and full of people that have no clue about what they are looking for.

JackMac
12-29-2011, 18:12
they are as cheap as they will ever be...they will only go higher as with ammo. Blow off the stares man...ask them if they have a problem? why the stare? do you have crusty on the end of your nose? or wearing breakfast in your beard? It sometimes does the trick. If they cop an attitude tell them you'll take your business somewhere else and then do it. I ran into that stupid stare in a shop in another state and struck up a conversation with the salesman, who, by golly, was a self professed gun expert. I acted like I did not know boo and let him babble. Sure was good for a laugh.

Cambo
12-29-2011, 18:14
Only NJ gunshops - I have experienced/seen the following:
1. Absurdly high prices - $1200 for a beat up 1985 Desert Eagle
2. Incredibly rude service, even when $800 cash was displayed on the counter to get one of five employees talking to each other to come over - it didn't work
3. Bait & Switch - "The CZ 75 doesn't exist, how about a nice Beretta 92."
4. Poor selection - ONE!!!! new handgun in four display cases of junk guns
5. Poor trade-in prices - "Your Glock with all of those extras is only worth $275." The gun is then displayed in the case for $650

JFrame
12-29-2011, 18:26
Only NJ gunshops - I have experienced/seen the following:
1. Absurdly high prices - $1200 for a beat up 1985 Desert Eagle
2. Incredibly rude service, even when $800 cash was displayed on the counter to get one of five employees talking to each other to come over - it didn't work
3. Bait & Switch - "The CZ 75 doesn't exist, how about a nice Beretta 92."
4. Poor selection - ONE!!!! new handgun in four display cases of junk guns
5. Poor trade-in prices - "Your Glock with all of those extras is only worth $275." The gun is then displayed in the case for $650

Somehow, hearing about rude service at a NJ gun store comes as no surprise to me...

Ironbar
12-29-2011, 20:55
This very day I went to two places. One, a small locally owned department store called Bi-Mart. They don't have a big selection of guns, but I did buy my Ruger 10/22 there. They do have a wide selection of ammo which is very reasonably priced. Every time I have wandered the sporting good section or gun counter, they have always treated me with respect and a friendly attitude.

The second place I went was Gun Broker which is in the same strip mall as Bi-Mart. They had some customers inside, not many but a few. Nobody working behind the counter so much as said "boo" to me. You wannt talk about fat morons working the counter? The fat moron they had today looked at me like I had a virus or something.

As far as I'm concerned, gun shops can FOAD. I'm buying the rest of my weaponry either at Bi-mart or online.

deadite
12-29-2011, 21:37
In general, I've found that I don't like most gun people I've met...at least the ones I see at gun stores and gun shows. I wouldn't say that the majority of people that like guns actually go to gun stores or gun shows all that often and most of them don't hang out on gun forums, either.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like a lot of people that go to my church, either, but I like going to church. :)

deadite

rudeboy3
12-29-2011, 21:48
Update today, I went in to a local gun shop (I knew they didnt have what I wanted but after yesterday's waste of gas and time I figured they could order it, if the mark up wasnt to high). I came in after work (I have been there once before and they were pretty friendly compared to others), so I walk in and immediately was greeted by the owner. I said I wanted a cheaper 357 snub and he didnt have any. He called his distributor in front of me and found a 357 charter arms for 379 and it would be there on Tuesday. I filled out paper work and gave him my money. :wow: I happily told him I would be doing more business with him in the future and my experiences the day before. What is so hard about acting like that with a customer?

GlockFish
12-29-2011, 22:03
Update today, I went in to a local gun shop (I knew they didnt have what I wanted but after yesterday's waste of gas and time I figured they could order it, if the mark up wasnt to high). I came in after work (I have been there once before and they were pretty friendly compared to others), so I walk in and immediately was greeted by the owner. I said I wanted a cheaper 357 snub and he didnt have any. He called his distributor in front of me and found a 357 charter arms for 379 and it would be there on Tuesday. I filled out paper work and gave him my money. :wow: I happily told him I would be doing more business with him in the future and my experiences the day before. What is so hard about acting like that with a customer?

I love happy endings. Go forth and spread the news of your positive gunshop experience.

Rodman24
12-29-2011, 22:40
I have the same expectations for any retail store. The associates will either bug the hell out of you, or ignore you completely. Anything else is a treat.

There's a particular guy at one of the local gun stores that once scoffed when I asked to see the G23. I had already decided that I was going to buy a new G19 or the G23, and I wasn't leaving without it. He wanted to know why I wanted to look at a toy gun. I walked down to another associate and asked her if she would sell me a gun. He was now looking at me like I was the ***hole. She said "Sure thing!" and I asked if it mattered which one. I was smiling so she knew there was a joke, but clearly didn't follow me. At that point I guess I was being an ***hole because I looked his way.

On another occasion there was a lady who asked him to tell her about a Taurus 454 Casull. I didn't think she was serious about buying it, but his response was "It's a great boat anchor". Good grief.

01coltcolt
12-29-2011, 22:41
This is a subject I will comment on later. Im tired and cant think!

MikeLadner
12-29-2011, 22:47
Yep. Hate going to them. I find what I want online. Then I check with the guy that does my FFL transfers (for free, to LEO's). I give him a chance to see if he can get the same item at a close-to price, if he can't, I order want I want from the net. Same with accessories, etc... I hate not supporting the local people, but damnit... if I can get what I want for $100 cheaper online, and not get the hassle of dealing with the d-bags at the local shops, so be it.

glock2740
12-29-2011, 22:47
I have finally realized I cant stand gun shops or gun shows.
Can't stand them either.

Teecher45
12-29-2011, 22:54
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have two GS in my area (W KY) that I love going to. One has a huge selection to choose from. All long rifles, shotguns, and accessories are out for you to fondle as much as you want, and there are hundreds to choose from. The only signs ask you to please not dry-fire the guns. The pistols are in cases, again hundreds to choose from but you have to ask to see one. Most of the time someone is with me within a minute or two and has never cared how many I fondle. Their prices (on guns and ammo) beat anything on the internet 99% of the time.
The other shop is a father and son operation that has only a handful of guns to choose from but will work their butts off to get me anything I want.
But I do understand what you are saying. There is a GS in Evansville IN that only hires ex Spec Ops that know a lot more about guns than you do. If this was my only option I would order off of the net.

WarEagle32
12-30-2011, 00:37
My lgs around here are ok. Just ok. However when I lived in Atlanta(Smyrna)for 5 years and went to lots and lots of gun stores frequently. I found that I never fully liked any store that I visited. I met a couple of guys at some stores would be very nice to me then the two guys standing next too him working there were total jerks. That seemed to happen alot. A lot of rudeness in the big city of Atlanta when it comes to gun stores! I know it's not a gunstore per say, but living in Smyrna GA USA for 5 years let me go to visit the Glock USA company, mostly to have night sights installed on my pistols. I did this several times, and I can't say enough about how nice everyone that I came in contact with from the armed security guards to the pistolsmiths were super nice to me and I have never forgotton that, nor will I!

american lockpicker
12-30-2011, 01:01
I like gun shops, 4 in my county know me on a first name basis.

Chonny
12-30-2011, 01:05
The one I go to is gross. Everyone is at at minimum 50 lbs overweight. The guy that the checkout counter has a sweat stain in the white beard around his face. I go there to save $50 bucks or so. I'm starting to want to just go to the closer ones to avoid the bottom feeders.

513GunGuy
12-30-2011, 01:09
I stopped going to gun shows because of how the dealers treat you. I would rather pay full price from Internet then talk to dealers at gun shows.

BailRecoveryAgent
12-30-2011, 02:11
Somehow, hearing about rude service at a NJ gun store comes as no surprise to me...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Drewski217/LOL/gifs/005p7fx1.gif

I like gun shops, 4 in my county know me on a first name basis.

I can hear it now, "Here comes that F______ Commie!"

svtpwnz
12-30-2011, 03:35
I have a local FFL that is about 10 minutes from my place and runs his operation out of his shop behind his house. Great guy, cool as hell to talk to, very helpful and only charges me $15 for FFL transfers. The two local gun stores near me are OK and a little on the high side but are for the most part pretty helpful and friendly. I guess I'm one of the fortunate few.

NEOH212
12-30-2011, 03:40

Yep. Been there.

You just have to keep looking around until you find the right shop. I have dealt with many through the years. The one I deal with now is owned by active and retired LE. They are a great group of guys and I don't go anywhere else. Sure, their prices are a little high, but the service I get there is second to none and they usually have what I need or want in stock. A good business like this I don't mind supporting. As long as I get good service and their prices are sane and fair, I'll keep going back.

As for gunshows, I go for the jerky! :eat:

Cambo
12-30-2011, 05:23

Yeah, it shouldn't. Their basic philosophy is, treat the customer like garbage, because they have no where else to go(very few gun shops in NJ - another shocking surprise I'm sure). I screw them by shopping in PA, even if I have to send handguns to a NJ FFL(for transfer) who runs a bait & tackle shop(and sells a couple of guns).

JFrame
12-30-2011, 05:41
Yeah, it shouldn't. Their basic philosophy is, treat the customer like garbage, because they have no where else to go(very few gun shops in NJ - another shocking surprise I'm sure). I screw them by shopping in PA, even if I have to send handguns to a NJ FFL(for transfer) who runs a bait & tackle shop(and sells a couple of guns).

Well done, Sir! :thumbsup:

Besides -- why donate your money unnecessarily to a rabidly Blue state?

22rtf2
12-30-2011, 06:12
I'm retired LE, used to go to the LGS in the area before retirement and I always wondered why the employees were so crabby all the time. I retired moved to another state and work a couple of days at a LGS for "toy" $$$. Now I know why they were so crabby...I am going to paint with a broad brush here and I know it does not include everybody ....."everything is not an emergency" you forgetting to buy or order a very specific type of ammo the day before opening day is not my fault. "I need some super magnum Nosler BT ballistic tip (red only) DX,XTP, 142.5 grain in 257 Roberts Improved that I used to sight my rifle in 3 years ago and I am leaving for the Crimean for a hunt in the morning" is not my problem.

"I just saw the Raging Circuit court presiding judge in Weird Gun Weekly and I just want to put one in my hand" What do you mean they aren't released yet...there in the magazine.

"you still have that Ruger 1911 I saw 2 weeks ago?" I told you I might be back sometime this month to put it on layaway , and you sold it?

"I need a chopstick, with a beam, night aims, monkey ball mag, muffler and cooler in SKS round.....does it matter if I was convicted of a felony in another state"?

"I want to get a gun for a friend of mine, cause he can't do the paperwork" WHY can't I buy it for him?

and my favorite:
"I'll be back to get it"

from another employee:
"working in a gunshop you get to see the people that really need a gun, and the people that make you glad you have a gun.

Didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

Every retail establishment including mine has the same type of customers but if one of my employees treats them the way I've been treated in the LGS they're out on their *****. I think you proved one of my earlier posts in this thread.

deadite
12-30-2011, 06:41
This is no judgment, but I find that if you have a slightly higher than minimum wage job that is manned by an employee in his 50's or 60's, you're going to get that kind of service. If he was a nicer person and had better people skills...(or work skills for that matter), odds are that he'd have a better job or be retired.

deadite

Bob Hafler
12-30-2011, 07:11
No I don't hate Gun shops. Hate is a strong word I don't often use. . The ones I don't care for though I don't go in.

If he's older he might be retired working part time just to help suppliment his income. Allot of retired people need to do that to live a half decent lifestyle and pay for healthcare. Nitwits come in all shapes sizes and ages.

HauntedAlabama
12-30-2011, 08:34
There are more good gun shops around me than there are bad. The main one I do businesses with usually has good prices and will beat or match anyone else in the Birmingham area. I imagine that working at a gun store is like selling cars...how many people are really looking to buy and how many are just killing time? Not saying you shouldn't be respectful and courteous of each customer but I would get jaded if I had to deal with idiot customers, know it alls, and look but never purchase folks.

Cambo
12-30-2011, 09:20
Well done, Sir! :thumbsup:

Besides -- why donate your money unnecessarily to a rabidly Blue state?

My property taxes are $8000.00 per year for .35 acres and a 1500 square foot house - that's more than enough contribution to this miserable state.

doc540
12-30-2011, 10:05
No different than visiting a car dealership.

You just have to have a game plan, know how to play, and enjoy it.

I usually start off by asking for "chrome Sigma's" with "extra clips".

LET THE FUN BEGIN!

MCVet
12-30-2011, 10:43
No different than visiting a car dealership.Hell it's not different than anything you buy now a days. The internet allows unrestricted (as long as SOPA and PIPA aren't passed) access to most information. Read about the class of item you want to buy and you'll eventually narrow it down to 1 - 3 options. Read up on those, know them inside and out, and then go to the shop (gun shop, dealership, tool aisle, whatever), handle it in person, and then decide whether you want to buy online or local.

If anyone gets in your way, listen to what they have to say and if it's bull**** tell them you're adamant on what you want and if they won't sell it to you you'll find someone who will. Negotiate as necessary/appropriate, especially in car/MC dealerships.

JK-linux
12-30-2011, 11:14
I've been treated like family by the small LGS I wandered into when I first moved to Minnesota. The owner works the counter and keeps a pot of coffee going that you can fill up from, even if you just drop by en route to somewhere else with no intention of buying anything. His dog Bizz usually wants a petting, but that's about as demanding as it gets. This place (in Hopkins, MN) is happy to do $25 FFL transfers, take trades and will order whatever I'm looking for. It's almost like having my own personal FFL license, without the paperwork hassle. Yes, his prices are higher than online, and he specializes in hunting and reloading (I don't hunt or reload) and thus has little in-store that I'm interested in. Still, I'll never go anywhere else and were I inclined to buy a factory new firearm, I'd buy through him knowing he's getting some profit. I buy all my overpriced SD ammo from him "just because" I like his business.

The other LGS here in town that I visit is huge and has it's share of mall ninja counter people working there. Their prices largely suck, and they are apparently "experts" in all things tactical and SD-related. It's choked full of people because they have in indoor range. Were it not for the indoor range, I wouldn't sully the soles of my work boots with their dirt.

Javelin
12-30-2011, 11:24
I do not like gun stores or gun shows either. I don't care for the people who are in the business for the most part and so I buy and go through local FFLs for transfers.

I vote with my wallet and that's why my wallet does not involve local gun stores or gun show purchases.

mdfd
12-30-2011, 11:43
everytime I walk into a gunshop (attached to the range) it is a lesson in diplomacy for me....

doc540
12-30-2011, 12:24
everytime I walk into a gunshop (attached to the range) it is a lesson in diplomacy for me....

Ya know the definition of diplomacy, don'cha?

"Letting someone else have your way":cool:

mdfd
12-30-2011, 12:50

exactly!:cool: I wave and say hello while I make my way to the back where I can get to my action pistol shooting group. Once I'm in there, I'm gtg....

checkyoursix
12-30-2011, 12:51

I offer one I prefer:

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

rgregoryb
12-30-2011, 15:28
Didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

Every retail establishment including mine has the same type of customers but if one of my employees treats them the way I've been treated in the LGS they're out on their *****. I think you proved one of my earlier posts in this thread.

you mean the LE/dirtbag point?

hard to erase 30 years of your life.....that being said, I like working with new shooters and people looking for their first gun. I was a firearms instructor for 20+ years ( pistol, shotgun and rifle )SWAT counter sniper, Armorer on ARs, 870's, S&W revolvers,3rd Gen Pistols and now M&Ps. I have experience to bring to the shop and the customers. I am not rude and try to be helpful I even spend a lot of time on the phone answering questions from folks who have no intention of buying from us. I enjoy getting people interested in the shooting sports.

Respect and courtesy goes both ways, don't piss on me and try to tell me it's raining. The profit margin on firearms is very small, we usually price our new guns at about 15% profit and there is no surcharge for Credit Card where the handler of the CC charges the store about 3-6 %. We don't like to inflate the prices so haggling is out of the question we stick with one policy on pricing, but people get pissed cause you won't lower the price or throw in a box of "shells"

Retail sucks , the best thing about this diatribe is that I don't need the $$ to live, just for toys

There is no excuse for rudeness or ignoring customers

caviteno_loco
12-30-2011, 16:23
From a post earlier, does that mean that a "guy" has to look nice before he goes inside a gunshop to be treated good? :wow:

What if someone has earrings or a lot of tattoos, does that mean that he has to be treated rudely?

Maybe I should wear a nice $1000 suit next time I go shopping for a rifle :rofl:

NeverMore1701
12-30-2011, 16:27
From a post earlier, does that mean that a "guy" has to look nice before he goes inside a gunshop to be treated good? :wow:

What if someone has earrings or a lot of tattoos, does that mean that he has to be treated rudely?

Maybe I should wear a nice $1000 suit next time I go shopping for a rifle :rofl:

No, cause then they'd probably think you're some sort of sissy-boy and still treat you like dirt. The key is to look, sound, and act exactly like they do, however that might be.

writwing
12-30-2011, 17:21

Between shipping and a $30+ transfer fee that really cuts into the price.

22rtf2
12-30-2011, 18:00
you mean the LE/dirtbag point?

hard to erase 30 years of your life.....that being said, I like working with new shooters and people looking for their first gun. I was a firearms instructor for 20+ years ( pistol, shotgun and rifle )SWAT counter sniper, Armorer on ARs, 870's, S&W revolvers,3rd Gen Pistols and now M&Ps. I have experience to bring to the shop and the customers. I am not rude and try to be helpful I even spend a lot of time on the phone answering questions from folks who have no intention of buying from us. I enjoy getting people interested in the shooting sports.

Respect and courtesy goes both ways, don't piss on me and try to tell me it's raining. The profit margin on firearms is very small, we usually price our new guns at about 15% profit and there is no surcharge for Credit Card where the handler of the CC charges the store about 3-6 %. We don't like to inflate the prices so haggling is out of the question we stick with one policy on pricing, but people get pissed cause you won't lower the price or throw in a box of "shells"

Retail sucks , the best thing about this diatribe is that I don't need the $$ to live, just for toys

There is no excuse for rudeness or ignoring customers

Thanks for responding. Of course you make sense and it is good to hear. Of course all the things you said in your first post we all say in private. But it isn't the majority of the good people we take care of.

ctfireman
12-30-2011, 18:39
i guess i'm lucky around here. There are a few shops that are friendly to the point where you'll wanna stop by to bs & have a coffee! Don't get me wrong there are a few that aren't great. Mostly nice people.

hogship
12-30-2011, 22:21
I've never worked in a gun shop, but I've been present a few times when a customer was trying to act knowledgeable......when it was plainly not the case. I can see where it would be difficult to deal with these people without damaging their ego in some way.

There have been times where I see gun shop employees that try to come off as an authority on the subject of firearms, as well. You just have to learn how to deal with these people, and not open lines of communication with them. None of this will keep me from browsing the local shops. Sometimes, it's these very places where the best deals can be had, and I don't want to let some nut keep me from "shopping around".

ooc

Bren
12-31-2011, 06:09
My property taxes are $8000.00 per year for .35 acres and a 1500 square foot house - that's more than enough contribution to this miserable state.

Wow:rofl: - I get PO'ed that my property taxes are around $1,200 for my double lot (about .5 acre) with house and workshop and my workshop alone is 1,800 sq. feet. You need to move.

Of course, Kentucky doesn't need as much tax money because we don't have nearly as many laws to enforce.:rofl: For instance, we don't regulate gun shops and gun sales at all and we forbid local governments from doing so.

docwade
12-31-2011, 08:44
I had a nice LGS for a while. It was a pawn. Took about 4 months to develop a repore, but once they knew I wasn't there to sell, only to buy, I was their best friend.

IndianaMatt
12-31-2011, 08:54
I think I have mentioned in the past, that many "net.shooters" who own a gun and post here are not really the kind of people one finds in the shooting community - in fact, many are so opposite that hanging around real shooters and hunters might be dangerous for them. If you walk in a gun shop and they think you look like a thug, gangsta-wannabe, sissy-boy, or some other variant of people they don't like, you're not going to get a warm reception. Gun dealers are often not as willing to put up with strange customers for a buck as other retailers.

Do you, maybe, have a lot of tattoos?...maybe some punk/Oi! oriented t-shirt? Maybe, worst of all, piercings? I suspect it's all about how you look, without speculating too far on your user name and whether it means you're a skinhead of the many varieties that are around these days, or some ska fan, or punk rocker or whatever.

There is much truth to this. I don't really have a problem with gun shops per se, but some gun shop customers I've seen are real champs.

I've seen too many gangbangers oogling that chrome .50 Desert Eagle, and I can certainly sympathize with the cranky gun shop worker who's job it is to cater to those idiots day in and day out.

troublemaker0131
12-31-2011, 08:54
I was told once that a 22 rimfire is a good defensive round because it bounces around like a pinball. The guy said "you can shoot someone in the chest and the bullet will come out their leg.:rofl:

Restless28
12-31-2011, 08:56
I like the local shops here. I live in a small town, in a semi-rural county, and both are them are nice places to hang out and chat.

sugerwater
12-31-2011, 09:53
Too bad you don't have a good shop like B&T in Mentor Ohio. Yea I pay a few bucks more, but these guys are locale, freindly, and have what I want.

01coltcolt
12-31-2011, 09:54
I have a few buddies that are gun shop owners in this average size town. They all do transfers for me, 1 for free. In return I help him any way possible if he asks. They dont really give me to much crap about not buying from them. My taste in guns is expensive and exotic, and they just dont carry the stuff.

That being said, about 90% of the time I can beat their prices online by about $100 on average. The margin increases with the price hike. In their defense they have overhead, are small local business, and have employees to pay.

Speaking of employees, on average what do you think the average gun shop owner can afford to pay a employee let alone several? What type of employees are going to be drawled to those wages?

As far as being rude to customers and ignoring folks based on assumptions of appearence. I would fire anyone on the spot that worked for me and did that. This will ruin a good reputation in a small town fast.

In the employees defense. Everyone is human and can have a bad day. Be in a bad mood and snap on someone.
I've hung out and helped out at a local shop and seen some insanity from the other side of the counter, that could make me assume thing based on appearences. That I'm not proud of but its human nature and hard to suppress.

Commits like:
Young lady:
"I need this Taser, I can't wait to see his face when I shoot him in the nuts, with it."

"Can your gunsmith turn my AK-47 full Auto for me? How much will that cost."

Clerk:
"Sir, do you have a ID on you? You need to be at least 18 or have your parent with you to be in the store."
Young man to his buddy:
"Give a Mexican a gun and he thinks he is a badAxx, make me leave.":faint:
(My buddy this happen to is a older retired ARMY SF from Puerto Rico. He handled it better than me.)

"Why are all you tough guys armed in here. Your makeing us feel nervous shopping here."

"If I went to jail a while back can still buy a gun?"

Clerk
"Sir would you mind leaving the store to unload your gun before you bring it in here? See the sign, Thank you."
older gentleman:
"FU I have a carry permit, you can kiss my Axx!"
Clerk:
"Its to protect our customers safety."
Older gentleman:
"You better worry about your safety!"
(We called the police)

I can go on for days. Its a hard call. I would like to open a small shop but sometimes I think its just not worth the hassles anymore. Dealing with people in any business is a brutial job. Most folks want something for nothing. An for every 100 things you do right 1 issue precieved to be wrong by someone and the enternet trashes your rep.................... :whistling: On the other hand I have ran into my fair share of Gun shop commandos.

racer88
12-31-2011, 09:57

Not so sure. I'm a clean-cut health professional. I told this story in more detail here some time ago. But, at a LGS, I was ignored when I asked to look at an FN SCAR-16S. I asked to see it (and planned to buy it - I have one now)... and the AH literally turned his back on me after saying, "At $2700 they're not flying off the shelf." Ummm... if you were paying attention, you might have noticed I was wearing a watch that cost three times that much.

To be clear, though... I'm not some metro-sissy-boy, either. Just a regular average looking guy.

So, I don't think your appearance is that big of a factor. Some LGS counter-commandos are just very poor salesmen and have no people skills.

On the other hand, I can understand and imagine the crap LGS employees have to deal with.

Cambo
12-31-2011, 11:21
Wow:rofl: - I get PO'ed that my property taxes are around $1,200 for my double lot (about .5 acre) with house and workshop and my workshop alone is 1,800 sq. feet. You need to move.

Of course, Kentucky doesn't need as much tax money because we don't have nearly as many laws to enforce.:rofl: For instance, we don't regulate gun shops and gun sales at all and we forbid local governments from doing so.

I think of moving every day believe me. My business is tied to NJ and it's going really well, so it's impossible to leave at the moment. My wife and I might be able to escape across the river to PA and still preserve the business, we'll see. Your gun laws(or lack thereof) are fantastic.

Blackhorse Trooper
12-31-2011, 18:39
Today,my 10 yr old son and I went to the LGS(Duncan Gun)to shoot our .22's and my Glock 17.Before we went down I looked at one of the associates Glock he was carrying with Truglo sights.I bought a set and he offered to install them and bring my weapon to me so we could start shooting.I'm a new customer there and they don't know me from Adam! I took him up on the offer and when the associate brought it down he said just bring your target and weapon upstairs if you think you need an adjustment.The price was fair and no charge for installation.

Maikeli7
12-31-2011, 18:44
I've had my share of jerk salespeople too, but there are two places I really like: Fuquay Gun & Gold and Sovereign Guns, both in Fuquay-Varina, NC. The first of the two is my favorite, but at both places, the people are very friendly and helpful.

Rally Vincent
12-31-2011, 18:57
Your average gunshop salesman is an ignorant hick who's pitch is no different from a car salesman. I've witnessed people being told some things about firearms that is borderline criminal. Not saying that no professionals exist, just saying that they are far and few between.

bug
12-31-2011, 19:11

This +1
:rofl:

happyshooter308
03-01-2012, 16:45
Called several gunshops around to find the best price on a G17 gen3, Guntown in Grovertown, Indiana said 650 bucks out the door. All he heard was me hanging up the phone. BIG THANK YOU to Jerrys in rensselaer, 489 bucks was what i was expecting. And got a good laugh from the goofy teenagers that kept talking loudly about why they cant buy a handgun but they can a rifle or shotgun.

LawScholar
03-01-2012, 17:02
489 for a Glock? Awesome. Cheapest in these parts is 545-550

Magus
03-01-2012, 17:13
Quite simply....YES...I hate gunshops! I don't utilize them anymore despite having had a good relationship with some of the local owners.

Just too many idiots, mall ninjas and gun shop commandos. Couldn't take it anymore. That and prices had been inflated for suckers like them.

I deal with a private by appointment FFL holder now. Much better service.

The_man
03-01-2012, 19:51
Some people are jerks and some are not. It seems that you've just had a run of bad luck with the people you've met. Be patient and your luck will change.

BigGunSmallArms
03-02-2012, 12:19
I've only been to one lgs that has a decent selection and a helpful staff. The only problem there is that it's a good thing and ppl know it so there is always a line out the door. You might have to wait your turn but they will spend all the amount of time you need them to with you. Plus the are hundreds cheaper than anywhere else. Just the other day I made a purchase and while I was there there were some "gangsta" types fondling everything shiny and large caliber and the employee was helping them with no problems. The only reason I added that was because it was my really first "getting older moment" because in my head I was thinking look at these punk-***** kids. No offense intended.

PartyBible
03-02-2012, 19:13
I love my FFL, who is a member of GT. I've only purchased two rifles and had them shipped to him. Glocks, I make the trip to GT's in Austin.