Got my first thousand loaded yesterday... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got my first thousand loaded yesterday...

HexHead
12-29-2011, 08:04
.45 acp recipe from Patrick Sweeney's book, Reloading for Handgunners. 200gr LSWC over 5.1gr TiteGroup. 1.250 OAL.

I'm hooked. Loaded them on an RCBS Rock Crusher Supreme. I'll be getting a Dillon 550 next month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/c5b53880.jpg

jsnake
12-29-2011, 08:06
Congrats. Now you need to go out and get all that lead "unstuck" from your brass and have another go.

gforester
12-29-2011, 09:21
I would have tried loading maybe 10 rounds and testing them before I ran off a thousand rounds. Also, from my experiences, Titegroup and lead aren't a good combination. Good luck with the new loads.

DoctaGlockta
12-29-2011, 09:33
I would have tried loading maybe 10 rounds and testing them before I ran off a thousand rounds. Also, from my experiences, Titegroup and lead aren't a good combination. Good luck with the new loads.

Don't worry I'm sure Mr. Sweeney has a chapter in that book somewhere on how to efficiently pull 998 rounds.

All kidding aside good luck and congrats.

XDRoX
12-29-2011, 10:33
Don't worry I'm sure Mr. Sweeney has a chapter in that book somewhere on how to efficiently pull 998 rounds.

:rofl:

You kid, but 1k LSWC over TG without testing them first?

Maybe he's shooting them in a revolver. If not it may be easier to buy one than to pull that many rounds:whistling:

Dogue
12-29-2011, 10:46
From the Hodgdon website:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=altrow><TD class=mini align=center>200 GR. CAST LSWC </TD><TD class=mini align=center>Hodgdon </TD><TD class=mini align=center>Titegroup </TD><TD class=mini align=center>.451" </TD><TD class=mini align=center>1.225" </TD><TD class=mini align=center>4.8 </TD><TD class=mini align=center>877 </TD><TD class=mini align=center>13,400 CUP </TD><TD class=mini align=center>5.4 </TD><TD class=mini align=center>957 </TD><TD class=mini align=center>16,800 CUP </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
It's probably a safe load but a very important rule of reloading is to always work up your loads. Variations in bullets, primers, guns, and temperature can all cause issues.

If there were one great load for each bullet/powder, wouldn't the reloading manuals just put that in there instead of giving you a range?

shotgunred
12-29-2011, 10:51
By the time you are done shooting them your new nickname at the range is going to be smokey.

While I applaud your get to it spirit. I would like to second the fact that you should never load up large batches until you have a personally tested load worked up.

Colorado4Wheel
12-29-2011, 12:02
LoL, Congratulations on getting running. Sounds like your having fun. Your probably fine with that load (always double/triple check data in multiple reliable sources, not the forum). Those will be OK with TG. They are going to smoke more then a better suited powder for lead. Enjoy your new hobby. Those in the picture look great to me.

Zombie Steve
12-29-2011, 12:09
Congrats. Do they drop into and out of your chamber freely? The shoulder on lswc's can be a pain sometimes...

Hope you don't have to pull a bunch. Good luck.

Colorado4Wheel
12-29-2011, 12:15
If he didn't over crimp (just removed the flare, no more) then he can push them in a little farther if needed. I was wondering the same thing but wanted to say something positive. It's exciting getting started in reloading.

HexHead
12-29-2011, 17:50

I did that before I ran the first 200. Shot a bunch of those as well before cranking out the rest.

sdelam
12-29-2011, 17:53
Looks good, wish my G36 would cycle swc's. They just look neat.

HexHead
12-29-2011, 17:54
Congrats. Do they drop into and out of your chamber freely? The shoulder on lswc's can be a pain sometimes...

Hope you don't have to pull a bunch. Good luck.

Yep, tested that as well on the front end. Also hand cycled a couple of mags worth to make sure they cycled okay before firing the first 10 test rounds.

HexHead
12-29-2011, 17:56

Don't worry, I have access to a compressor powered collet puller.

Zombie Steve
12-29-2011, 18:10
Good man. It sounded like you just picked a load and loaded up a thousand. You wouldn't have been the first to do so in this forum. While I prefer Unique for lead loads, I love the 200 grain lswc for a .45 auto.

:thumbsup:

Stay safe. Happy shootin'.

michael e
12-29-2011, 18:16
Why not? Been using lead with titegroup for 380 9mm 38spl 357mag 45acp 40sw for over 10years. The SWC only seem to work in my single stack or revolvers thought.

RustyFN
12-29-2011, 19:03
Why not? Been using lead with titegroup for 380 9mm 38spl 357mag 45acp 40sw for over 10years. The SWC only seem to work in my single stack or revolvers thought.

It's not that TG is so bad there are just other powders that are a lot better suited for lead bullets in a 45. I have shot many rounds with TG under my 200 grain LSWC's. I tried WST and like it much better. WST is a lot cleaner, more accurate and I don't send smoke signals any more.

gforester
12-29-2011, 21:09

Like RustyFN said, it isn't a real bad choice, there are just much better choices. Titegroup burns so hot it vaporizes the base of lead bullets, this makes for a lot of smoke and barrels tend to lead up quicker. I prefer Unique, Universal or HP38 under my lead bullets, depending on caliber, and I never seem to have lead buildup with those powders.