Question on RCBS Single Stage Press [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on RCBS Single Stage Press

pmcjury
12-29-2011, 11:41
I have been loading for about a year with an RCBS single stage.

The press is great except when I am decapping. It throws the primers every where. Does anyone have any suggestion for collecting them?

GioaJack
12-29-2011, 12:44
You didn't mention what RCBS press it is but for the Rock Chucker they make a horseshoe shaped primer catcher that clips on around the ram. That will catch the vast majority of the primers.

If you have the room simply place an office type waste basket under your press and that will catch most of what isn't caught by the primer catcher.

No matter what press you use you'll occasionally end up with primers on the floor... it's just part of loading. It's a simple matter to vacuum them up but the International Rules of Reloading handbook dictates that you must wear a French Maid's outfit while doing so.

I choose to leave the primers on the floor... Zombie Steve actually throws his spent primers around the room because he likes wearing the outfit. :aodnsb:

Jack

PCJim
12-29-2011, 12:47
I'm pretty sure the ram on your RCBS has a hole thru the center of it with a side exit hole. If correct, the press originally came with a plastic catch cup that was molded such that it could clip to the frame to keep it positioned against the ram while in reloading. Spent primers exit the side hole and fall into the catch cup.

They are readily available on the 'net, or you can contact RCBS.

whitebread
12-29-2011, 12:50
I have a Rock Chucker from the early 80s that I was able to fit the horseshoe catcher onto even though it wasn't made for it - just drilled a couple holes in the horseshoe and zip tied it. Haven't had to pick a primer up off the floor since.

Primer Catcher (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145927/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-jr-reloader-special-single-stage-press-primer-catcher)

TX expat
12-29-2011, 12:50
Heh. Mine throws 'em all over and I have that little plastic cup. Half of them just don't make the jump over to that cup neck correctly so they fly off. I keep a small dustpan right next to the bench just to clean those guys up!

pmcjury
12-29-2011, 12:54
Im actually not sure which model it is, it was a hand me down from my dad. I just did some googling, and it looks like it is the RCBS partner press.

The primers drop through the ram, and out a hole cut at an angle about half way down the ram. I use a garbage can now, and I would say I am getting 50% or so. They other half are a pain, the floor is just plywood, so those SOB's bounce like hell and go all over.

pmcjury
12-29-2011, 12:55
I'm pretty sure the ram on your RCBS has a hole thru the center of it with a side exit hole. If correct, the press originally came with a plastic catch cup that was molded such that it could clip to the frame to keep it positioned against the ram while in reloading. Spent primers exit the side hole and fall into the catch cup.

They are readily available on the 'net, or you can contact RCBS.

Sounds like exactly what I need thanks

PCJim
12-29-2011, 13:02
Im actually not sure which model it is, it was a hand me down from my dad. I just did some googling, and it looks like it is the RCBS partner press.

Are there any letters molded into the frame, maybe a manufacturing date code stamped into the frame near the threading for the dies? If you can post a picture of the press, I'm sure we can identify it which will help in your search for the appropriate catch cup (if more than one model is currently available...).

AA#5
12-29-2011, 13:10
I folded a small piece of cardboard & wedged it next to the priming arm. That prevents the primers from bouncing out of the tray.

unclebob
12-29-2011, 13:12
No matter what press you use you'll occasionally end up with primers on the floor... it's just part of loading. It's a simple matter to vacuum them up but the International Rules of Reloading handbook dictates that you must wear a French Maid's outfit while doing so.

Since I did some simple modifications to my Dillon 650, RCBS Rock Chucker and Mec pressís I donít have spent primers going all over the floor. Not even a one.

WiskyT
12-29-2011, 13:17
Since I did some simple modifications to my Dillon 650, RCBS Rock Chucker and Mec pressís I donít have spent primers going all over the floor. Not even a one.

I think what Jack is saying is that you're not a real loader.

GioaJack
12-29-2011, 13:19

You're just too old to hear 'em and too blind to see 'em.

Besides, your wife vacuums them up while you're taking your four daily naps.

Jack

Batesmotel
12-29-2011, 13:21
I have the same setup. I just gave up and let them fall then sweep and use the shop vac.

CitizenOfDreams
12-29-2011, 14:05
I just sweep the floor after I'm done reloading.

unclebob
12-29-2011, 14:25

Jack

Unless they can transform themselves through metal and vinyl and plastic they donít hit the floor. My wife does not vacuum in the reloading room. Live primers might be on the floor and I donít need hearing her if she should vacuum one up and it go off.

unclebob
12-29-2011, 14:49

Jack

You are probably right I might not hear them hitting the floor if they did, not because of my age. After wearing glassís just about all of my life I now have 20/20 vision. May or may not need glasses for up close. And if I want to take care of a slight stigmatism. I do hear shot hitting the rubber mat that is in front of the reloading bench, does that count?