Looking into buying my first [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking into buying my first

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 12:43
So, I'm thinking it's about time to purchase my first pistol. I have about $750 saved up for it. I'm looking for a good carry and defense pistol.

My brother is a LEO and he suggested quite a few pistols that he thinks I would like. I have shot many pistols in the past, and every one he owns. Which is a SIG P229 .40, a G26 9mm, and a Ruger LCP .380.

There's not much to say about the SIG P229. It simply shoots awesome. Which is also his work issued gun. The G26 is also nice, but I prefer shooting the SIG. And the LCP is just too small, not what I'm looking for.

The one's that he suggest are and he has shot all of them:

Walther PPQ 9mm (he said the grip just melts in his hands)
Walther P99c AS trigger .40 (I understand these are incredibly hard to find)
Ruger SR40c or SR9c
G26 or 27 Gen 4
XD Subcompact .40

I'm looking for a pistol that is comfortable in my hands, accruate, comfortable to carry, and reliable. I want it to go bang every single time I pull the trigger without a doubt in my mind. Safety is a non issue as the best safety is the owner of the gun.

Just looking for opinions for a first-time owner. Thanks in advance.

CJStudent
12-29-2011, 12:50
Go to a range with rental guns; a wide variety of them. Try as many as you can, then pick which one you like the best.

dabigguns357
12-29-2011, 12:55
Play with everything you can before you buy then figure in cost of holster,ammo and training.Once you have done all this check this site and if you can,buy from here he has everything.

Another note,don't let anybody tell you what you can and can not carry.It's your body and your permit(requirements).I'm 5'10" and at least 225 lb,i will and do conceal some pretty big guns.It will come down to what you are comfortable with carrying(weight/siz)and how you plan on carrying(holster and belt rig).

Now to my gun sourse for everything to buy. www.summitgunbroker.com (http://www.summitgunbroker.com)
I continually order without issue many guns from him and you won't find hardly anything cheaper.Oh and if you have any more questions jump right in and ask.

tim12232
12-29-2011, 12:59
This coming from a former Glock Hater, I love my glock 19, shoots as accurate as my top tier Sig P229 Enhanced Elite. the sig was almost twice the price. I love my sig, I love my glock. E2 grips on the sig feel better in the hand, but the glocks grip lets my hand get up so high on the bore axis. I know there are alot of .40 lovers on here, I myself dont really care for the round. I believe that modern 9mm rounds like the Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-T will be more than enough to cause significant damage to a bad guy. Shot placement is the most critical, training for those shots mean lots of range time, and maybe a gun course. 9mm is cheaper and in turn lets you become more proficient by shooting more. I only carry 9mm or .45 acp, as for carry, I carry both the G19 and Sig about the same, I have thousands through each and am very comfortable with the trigger differences. My Dan Wesson is too pretty and expensive to carry so thats my HD gun for the most part. Go find what fits in your hand best, with the proper grip.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw

Good luck, if you dont get a glock, try to at least buy american!

MrMurphy
12-29-2011, 13:02
Check out an S&W M&P 9C.

byf43
12-29-2011, 13:13
G19 for a first handgun, or, get a revolver. The S&W mdl 586 or 686 come to mind, first.

Then, a 1911 is a GREAT pistol.

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 13:13

I understand and respect this comment immensely. But it's a simple fact that some things made in the USA just aren't the best.

Bren
12-29-2011, 13:32
If you like the P229, why isn't that on your list? A used P229 is only $500-550. You can order one from Bud's right now for $530, including shipping.

Bilbo Bagins
12-29-2011, 13:36
So, I'm thinking it's about time to purchase my first pistol. I have about $750 saved up for it. I'm looking for a good carry and defense pistol.

My brother is a LEO and he suggested quite a few pistols that he thinks I would like. I have shot many pistols in the past, and every one he owns. Which is a SIG P229 .40, a G26 9mm, and a Ruger LCP .380.

Big differerence here

The Ruger LCP weighs just under a pound and you can carry it in your pocket, great carry gun but a .380 pocket pistol is not the best gun to defend your home with.

The Sig 229 is a 2 pound service pistol. You can carry it concealed but since its big and heavy its a royal PITA, and you definatley need a solid holster, a good belt or shoulder rig and some baggy clothes. Also The Sig 229 is an expensive handgun, buying new will max out all the money you saved.

I think for a newbie who want the best of both worlds carry and defensive, a subcompact to midsized compact 9mm that is not too heavy (under 28oz loaded) will fit the bill. 9mm ammo is cheap, and if its your first gun you will want to shoot a lot. Like others have said, hit the guns stores and feel up some guns, then rent some and see what you like and shoot best.

I would check out

Glock 26 and maybe the 19

Walther PPS ( the PPQ is the flavor of the month, but its as big and heavy as a 229 which for reference is as big as a Glock 17 and over 30oz)

The Ruger SR9c looks pretty sexy for a Ruger centerfire and its priced right. I have been eyeballing one myself, but early on they had growing pains with reliability , maybe some recent owners can tell us otherwise.

S&W M&P compact

Springfield XD subcompact or XDm compact

The Sig 250 sub compact (which is actually reasonably priced)

USDefender
12-29-2011, 13:42

There's not much to say about the SIG P229. It simply shoots awesome. Which is also his work issued gun. The G26 is also nice, but I prefer shooting the SIG. And the LCP is just too small, not what I'm looking for.

Ruger SR40c or SR9c
G26 or 27 Gen 4
XD Subcompact .40

I'm looking for a pistol that is comfortable in my hands, accruate, comfortable to carry, and reliable. I want it to go bang every single time I pull the trigger without a doubt in my mind. Safety is a non issue as the best safety is the owner of the gun.

Out of the guns you listed, I'd say you really can't go wrong with any of them. My personal preference on the list would be the Walthers... I'd probably lean toward the PPQ, but if you find a decent P99 you'd probably like it as well. It's my understanding that after-market accessories (i.e. magazines, etc.) are pretty expensive, though...

If I had $750 to spend on a handgun, right now, I'd probably take a look at something made by 'HK.' Just something to think about.

Good luck on your hunt, and remember to enjoy it. :cool:

*Edited to say: Here is a YouTube video by Hickock45 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37EFEPBw9wQ) in which he demostrates several kinds of pistols, including some from the 'firearms families' you're considering. He does leave out Glocks, however, since a good portion of his other vids usually involve those pistols-- It's worth looking them up, too.

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 13:42
If you like the P229, why isn't that on your list? A used P229 is only $500-550. You can order one from Bud's right now for $530, including shipping.

P229 is very high on my list. Awesome gun. I'm just not 100% sure and still open to other options. There are many great pistols out there And I have yet to shoot some of them.

HKLovingIT
12-29-2011, 14:00

Ruger SR40c or SR9c
G26 or 27 Gen 4
XD Subcompact .40

This is my general list of "Looking for a carry gun..." suggestions. In no particular order:

Revolvers:

S&W Lady Smith loaded with .38 Special+p Gold Dots or Corbon DPX
S&W Model 60 or 640 with .38 Special+p Gold Dots or Corbon DPX
S&W Model 442 or 642 with .38 Special+p Gold Dots or Corbon DPX
Ruger SP101 loaded with .38 Special+p Gold Dots or Corbon DPX, .357 Magnum something or other.

Bottom Feeders: Any of the below with Gold Dot 124 gr +p or similar HST.

HK P2000SK LEM 9mm
Ruger LC9
Ruger SR9C
Walther PPS 9mm
Glock G26
S&W M&P9c
S&W 3913 / 6906
Kahr CM9 or MK9
SIG P239 DAK 9mm
Beretta has a new pocket 9mm coming out - Nano

.40 S&W or .357 SIG versions of the above if you prefer. 165gr/180gr HST for .40 and 125gr Gold Dot for .357 SIG would be my pick.

------------------
.45s these are mostly going to be about the size of a G19 so keep that in mind. Any of the below with 230 gr Gold Dot, HST or Golden Saber

G36
Kahr CW 45
G30
H&K USP Compact .45
H&K 45C
Springfield XD .45 Compact
M&P 45c Compact
SIG P220

For the money you have you can get a Glock 26 or M&P9c, a Comptac MTAC Holster, some spare mags and ammo. Or the .40 S&W versions of those if you prefer. I would start there. If you really want a SIG for carry I would look to the P239 9mm first over the 229. Nothing wrong with the 229, it's just larger than what I would routinely carry given that I'm not police and for where I go and what I have to do day to day at work, etc. For weekends, travel, camping, etc. the size isn't an issue. But that's me. I don't know your particulars.

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 14:08
I see some suggestions for the P2000sk. I've seen videos and read reviews about it. I just think they're overpriced. I don't know though, never had one in my hands.

HKLovingIT
12-29-2011, 14:29
I see some suggestions for the P2000sk. I've seen videos and read reviews about it. I just think they're overpriced. I don't know though, never had one in my hands.

As I own them and some of the other things on the list, let me address that for you.

An H&K like the P2000 or P2000sk is going to cost more than a Glock and be about the same as a SIG, maybe a couple bucks more, depending what models comparing. The mags for the H&K P2000sk are going to be about $7 more than mags for a Glock and about the same as SIG.

In the grand scheme of things it's peanuts compared to the continual cost of ammo. If you decide you like an H&K or SIG best, don't let the $150-$275-ish dollars it costs more than a Glock keep you from getting what you really want. A year from now you won't be sitting at the range going "Dang, I really like this H&K or SIG, but shucks, I can't believe it cost me more than a Glock!" :supergrin: It's not about if are they better than a Glock or anything, they are not the same type of pistol. Glock, H&K, SIG, they are all first rate. It really comes down to if you want a pistol with a hammer or striker. If you want one that is hammer fired, my first two choices would be SIG and H&K. If you want a hammer fired pistol that is polymer frame - H&K, no doubt.

If you are strictly shopping by price and have to stay in that budget (nothing wrong with that at all), or have no preference whether the pistol is striker fired or hammer fired, get the G26 or the S&W M&P9c in 9mm. Can't go wrong there either. That's about as fanboy as I'll get. :crying:

Bilbo Bagins
12-29-2011, 14:33
------------------
.45s these are mostly going to be about the size of a G19 so keep that in mind. Any of the below with 230 gr Gold Dot, HST or Golden Saber

Just a quick hi-jack, I'm hoping and praying gun manufactures other than Kahr make a .45 pistol smaller than a G19.

The Pm45 is just wicked expensive.

I'm crossing my fingers that this shot show will have some new pocket .45.

HKLovingIT
12-29-2011, 14:37
Just a quick hi-jack, I'm hoping and praying gun manufactures other than Kahr make a .45 pistol smaller than a G19.

The Pm45 is just wicked expensive.

I'm crossing my fingers that this shot show will have some new pocket .45.

I agree and wish there were some more choices on the market at the smaller end. I like .45 but I can't really be running around with a G19 size pistol all the time so I mostly just shoot them for recreation.

On the other hand, once they start getting real small and the magazine capacity starts to get down into J-frame territory, I start to prefer a 9mm. :dunno:

TN.Frank
12-29-2011, 14:39
A lot depends on how much you want to practice. If you plan on doing a lot of practice so you'll get familiar with the manual of arms for your gun then a semi-auto will work for a 1st handgun. If you'll not be able to practice as much then a good revolver may be best to start out with.
For a revolver stick with a name brand(i.e. S&W, Ruger, Colt, Taurus) and stay away from junk like RG or the like. Many have a 3" bbl option which is great for HD and carry but if you'll carry more then look for a 2.5" K Frame size gun or for more HD a 4" would work better. Just get a feel for it and practice and you'll be able to hit what you aim at in no time.
For a good semi you can go Beretta, Sig, Glock, S&W, H&K or a few others but don't bother with Lorcin or Hi-Point, they're just not worth what they're going for these days. Learn the Immediate Action Drills and try to get out and shoot at least once a month if you can.

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 14:41
If you are strictly shopping by price, or have no preference whether the pistol is striker fired or hammer fired, get the G26 or the S&W M&P9c in 9mm. Can't go wrong there either. That's about as fanboy as I'll get. :crying:

If the pistol is good enough quality, price isn't much of an option. And if I really had to cut my list down, I would prefer striker fired with a very light trigger.

HKLovingIT
12-29-2011, 14:44
If the pistol is good enough quality, price isn't much of an option. And if I really had to cut my list down, I would prefer striker fired with a very light trigger.

Ok. Wasn't trying to knock the budget or anything. We all have one.

If you want striker I would really be looking hard at the G26/27 or the M&P 9c/40c. They are both great choices with lots of holster options, etc. The big difference between the two is that the M&P is a touch bigger, but it has a rail and can have a manual safety on it if you want. I wouldn't go with a very light trigger for a carry gun, but that's my personal view. I'd just go with factory stock.

bac1023
12-29-2011, 14:48

:rofl:

This may seem hard to believe, but Glock isn't the only decent foreign handgun.

In fact, I feel many are better.

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 14:51
Also, I understand that the PPQ is not a subcompact and is a tad bigger than a G19. How would it fit for every day carry?

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 14:57
Ok. Wasn't trying to knock the budget or anything. We all have one.

If you want striker I would really be looking hard at the G26/27 or the M&P 9c/40c. They are both great choices with lots of holster options, etc. The big difference between the two is that the M&P is a touch bigger, but it has a rail and can have a manual safety on it if you want. I wouldn't go with a very light trigger for a carry gun, but that's my personal view. I'd just go with factory stock.

I said a light trigger. Glocks don't have light triggers. I've shot them.

tim12232
12-29-2011, 15:54

I wasnt implying that at all! I am just trying to see more people think about American made than not. Thats all nothing more nothing less. I just mentioned the Glock, because this is Glocktalk. H&K is awesome no doubt, german sigs are awesome. But if it comes down to 2 guns that you really cant make your mind up on....see where the one is made and be happy your helping a worker in this country!

Tim

HKLovingIT
12-29-2011, 15:58

I thought you meant a very light trigger, like lighter than factory standard.

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 16:13
I thought you meant a very light trigger, like lighter than factory standard.

Nope, I don't want to be customizing a nice, new pistol. Like I said, if it's good enough quality and I like it enough, it'll stay the way it is from factory.

barth
12-29-2011, 16:20

+1 on that -
Handgun choice is a very personal thing.
You already know you like the P229?
Why take a chance on an unknown?

Either rent/barrow more guns to find out for yourself.
Or go with the know quantity (P229).

Nobody in their right mind is going to fault you for getting a Sig.

HKLovingIT
12-29-2011, 16:27
+1 on that -
Handgun choice is a very personal thing.
You already know you like the P229?
Why take a chance on an unknown?

Either rent/barrow more guns to find out for yourself.
Or go with the know quantity (P229).

Nobody in their right mind is going to fault you for getting a Sig.

Hey, don't be so hasty. I am 100% certain someone on here would fault him for getting a SIG. :rofl: It is the Interwebz and all. :supergrin:

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 16:34
A new P229 in .40 will max out my limit. I want to leave some breathing room for accesories, such as extra mags, holsters, etc. If I do get the P229, it will most likely be a used one.

barth
12-29-2011, 17:06
A new P229 in .40 will max out my limit. I want to leave some breathing room for accesories, such as extra mags, holsters, etc. If I do get the P229, it will most likely be a used one.

If you are patient, and continue to check out gun shows and large LGS,
deals are to be had.

I got a looks like never fired, pristine, P239/357 for $550 a few months ago.
Plus do you really need extra mags, holsters etc right away?
That stuff is like tires, gas and other such stuff with a car.

Good guns last a lifetime.
Especially on a budget, you might want to take your time...

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 17:32
I live 20 mins from Cabela's and they have a bunch of new and used Sigs, but I am not about to buy a gun from Cabela's.

Bruce M
12-29-2011, 17:43
With your budget you might be able to get a used P229 and some kind of used .22 pistol which you could use alot for not much money to build skills. The more you shoot and shoot different guns, the more your preferences might change. And if down the road you decide that a Glock 26 is really what you want (or anything else) you will loose comparatively less (or nothing) on a used pistol.

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 19:53
Wow, after checking out some vids and reading reviews. It looks like the PPQ is the way to go. And the price is quite friendly as well. Hmmm. Might have to check one out soon.

The_Gun_Guru
12-29-2011, 20:36
I'm looking for a pistol that is comfortable in my hands, accruate, comfortable to carry, and reliable.

Oh, you mean a Bersa!

Check out the Bersa BP9cc. They are available on Gallery of Guns.

BEST KEPT SECRET IN HANDGUNS BY FAR!!!!!!!:wavey:

You can thank me later.:whistling:

TGG

Aceman
12-29-2011, 20:55
well, there is no perfect gun for everything. And since you have priced yourself out of the HK range, including most used....

I have a hard time to not make a case for a 9mm - and here is why: Cheaper ammo. Yes you have shot, but have you REALLY shot? You want this to become a part of you and that takes ammo. The difference in (mm vs .40 will make itself very apparent very quickly with any decent amount of practice.

That said - here are a few guns I'd think about:

G19 - hard to argue with this. Great size, great reliability, great price. Good all around all day.

Springfield XD9 - Full/compact option, lot's of case candy. Again, great size, great reliability, great price.

Or, as mentioned, if you love the Sig...try the Sig 226. If you can't get the HK, it's not a bad 2nd choice....

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 21:19
9mm is indeed my top choice of caliber. forgot to mention that

ithaca_deerslayer
12-29-2011, 21:54
I said a light trigger. Glocks don't have light triggers. I've shot them.

Actually, glock is a light trigger. You've got to pick a format. If no safety, what has a lighter trigger than glock? You get varations, like a longer trigger pull from some other guns.

Get what you like, but for a draw and shoot carry gun the glock should be your standard of comparison.

Want a safety? Get a different gun.

Want a thinner single stack? Get a different gun.

Want an all metal gun? Get a different gun.

Otherwise, glock is the starting place, then maybe you find some minor features you like better in some other guns:)

HKLovingIT
12-29-2011, 21:56
Wow, after checking out some vids and reading reviews. It looks like the PPQ is the way to go. And the price is quite friendly as well. Hmmm. Might have to check one out soon.

Two negatives of the PPQ design as a carry pistol in my mind are:

It is reported to have a light trigger with a short reset. Yep so does a 1911, but a 1911 has two manual safeties. Too light for my tastes for carry. Let you know for sure when my shop gets it in next week. :supergrin:

I know, I know, keep your finger off the trigger. We all know that. Stuff happens. Stress levels go up, adrenalin, fear, fingers move to triggers unconsciously. A study of police in simulators found that 89% of even experienced officers unconsciously put their finger on the trigger during a simulated stressful encounter. Police have city lawyers, and Police Benevolent associations to back them up in case of a liability suit. You don't.

It is bigger than a G19 and getting into G17 size territory.

Now lots of people, especially on the Internet, will say they carry a full size service hand gun every day. What they don't tell you is they leave it in their car a lot because it's way too big to carry at work or they can't carry at work because they will get fired. Or they get nervous carrying around such a big piece and they are always fidgeting with it, etc. trying not to print. Trying to find just the right holster, jacket, shirt etc. to cover it up to carry that big hunk of metal or plastic around. (talking about non-police)

Hey, if a guy can pull it off and has no problems, and some do, not me, great for them. In my opinion, for Joe Average citizen, something like the G17 is great for home. A G26 or G19 size gun is much more realistic for everyday non police self protection.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :tongueout: Aside from collecting, I have theory that there is a reason a lot of guys wind up buying all three models of a particular Glock caliber, they bought too big first time around and found it too big a pain to carry big all the time. :whistling: Guilty, here.

You said you want striker fired.
You said you want a light but not very light trigger.
You said 9mm was good for you.
You said your budget was pretty firm.
You said you will use this for carry.

Glock 26
S&W M&P 9C

This is a really good book to invest in before investing hardware. The author is the resident expert on this forum in the self defense section. You might buy this book and get some good ideas and things you hadn't thought about: http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-Concealed-Carry/dp/0896896110

Good luck and let us know what you get. :wavey:

TalkToTheGlock
12-29-2011, 22:19

*Cough* Hk, Walther, Older Sigs *Cough*

iPhone 4

ItchyFinger
12-29-2011, 23:10
Two negatives of the PPQ design as a carry pistol in my mind are:

It is reported to have a light trigger with a short reset. Yep so does a 1911, but a 1911 has two manual safeties. Too light for my tastes for carry. Let you know for sure when my shop gets it in next week. :supergrin:
I know, I know, keep your finger off the trigger. We all know that. Stuff happens. Stress levels go up, adrenalin, fear, fingers move to triggers unconsciously. A study of police in simulators found that 89% of even experienced officers unconsciously put their finger on the trigger during a simulated stressful encounter. Police have city lawyers, and Police Benevolent associations to back them up in case of a liability suit. You don't.

It is bigger than a G19 and getting into G17 size territory.
Now lots of people, especially on the Internet, will say they carry a full size service hand gun every day. What they don't tell you is they leave it in their car a lot because it's way too big to carry at work or they can't carry at work because they will get fired. Or they get nervous carrying around such a big piece and they are always fidgeting with it, etc. trying not to print. Trying to find just the right holster, jacket, shirt etc. to cover it up to carry that big hunk of metal or plastic around. (talking about non-police)

Hey, if a guy can pull it off and has no problems, and some do, not me, great for them. In my opinion, for Joe Average citizen, something like the G17 is great for home. A G26 or G19 size gun is much more realistic for everyday non police self protection.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :tongueout: Aside from collecting, I have theory that there is a reason a lot of guys wind up buying all three models of a particular Glock caliber, they bought too big first time around and found it too big a pain to carry big all the time. :whistling: Guilty, here.

You said you want striker fired.
You said you want a light but not very light trigger.
You said 9mm was good for you.
You said your budget was pretty firm.
You said you will use this for carry.

Glock 26
S&W M&P 9C

This is a really good book to invest in before investing hardware. The author is the resident expert on this forum in the self defense section. You might buy this book and get some good ideas and things you hadn't thought about: http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-Concealed-Carry/dp/0896896110

Good luck and let us know what you get. :wavey:

I appreciate all of your comments and opinions, they are very helpful. But as I've said before, I would shoot a Sig any day over a G26. I simply just like it better. I want to not just like the gun I buy, I want to LOVE it and shoot millions of rounds through it because I don't plan on buying another pistol in the near future. And as far as the S&W, I am staying away from them because my uncle is having some slide cracking issues with his, and it's a spankin' new pistol.

Teecher45
12-29-2011, 23:35
9mm. Want to add accessories. Shoot lots and lots of rounds. G19.
It was my first Glock and I loved it, closest thing to perfect 9mm I have ever shot. IMO a perfect balance of concealability and shootability.
I don't have it anymore. Why? I no longer need the perfect handgun. I have several, all fit a need. 27 for CC, 21 for HD, and revolvers for other stuff.
That being said, my son will have a 19 soon (he's 12).

ithaca_deerslayer
12-30-2011, 03:46
I appreciate all of your comments and opinions, they are very helpful. But as I've said before, I would shoot a Sig any day over a G26. I simply just like it better. I want to not just like the gun I buy, I want to LOVE it and shoot millions of rounds through it because I don't plan on buying another pistol in the near future. And as far as the S&W, I am staying away from them because my uncle is having some slide cracking issues with his, and it's a spankin' new pistol.

Sounds like the only question is, which SIG do you get?

That narrows it down:)

Bren
12-30-2011, 05:18
I appreciate all of your comments and opinions, they are very helpful. But as I've said before, I would shoot a Sig any day over a G26.

So get a Sig. Heck, Bud's has the polymer framed Sigpro type Sigs for under $400 brand new. It's not like you're only allowed to buy one gun. You can get something else later, trade them in, resell them - so just buy one and give it a try.

Wetrudgeon
12-30-2011, 05:41
Itchy:
Since the first consideration you mentioned in your original post was a pistol that "feels good in the hand," you may want to handle some CZ pistols before you make any final decision. The CZ75b is a great firearm and some of it's variants (like the CZ P-01) make very good carry pistols. While "feel in the hand" is somewhat subjective, many consider the ergonomics of the CZ75 family of pistols the best of all. CZ's are also inexpensive relative to the sigs. Our $.02.

We trudge on.

ItchyFinger
12-30-2011, 08:49
CZ 2075 RAMI feels great in my hands. Never fired one. There so many choices, I just don't know. I'll just be killing a lot of time testing some out.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-30-2011, 11:38
CZ 2075 RAMI feels great in my hands. Never fired one. There so many choices, I just don't know. I'll just be killing a lot of time testing some out.

If for carry, then there are some gun platform/format issues you should think about first. I'll give you an example, not meant to suggest the specific guns to pick, but rather the issues to look at.

The Beretta 92 is the best gun in the world to shoot. Good single-action trigger, good sights, good accuracy, low recoil, good grip, good balance, smooth action. All adds up to the best gun to shoot at the range.

But for carry the 92 stinks. Too heavy, too big, a safety to fiddle with, and the first shot is a long heavy double-action pull, and subsequent shots are a transition to a lighter and shorter trigger pull.

Contrast that to the Glock 26, Kahr PM9, and Ruger LCP, each getting progressively smaller. Each having no safety to mess with, and all shots are the same relatively light trigger pull (not as light as a single-action, but light enough).

The trick in a single gun is to balance the good carry qualities with a good range gun.
:)

Gino
12-30-2011, 13:28
You want a nice gun, that can be carried, but also fun at the range, in 9mm so it's cheaper to shoot. I wouldn't look at any full-sized or sub-compact guns. I'd look at compact sized guns is I were you. Here are a few in your price range that I would recommend:

Glock 19
CZ 75 Compact
SIG 239
Springfield XD or XDM
Kahr K9
Ruger SR9
Stoeger Cougar

Any of these guns would suit your needs. Now you just have to figure out which is best FOR YOU. If money is tight, I think the Stoeger Cougar is prob the cheapest of these guns.

ItchyFinger
12-30-2011, 15:56
I'm going to Cabela's tomorrow and I'm going get everything I possible can in my hands that I haven't tried before. We'll see what happens.

Breadman03
12-30-2011, 16:02
There is a range near Warminster that I'm pretty sure has rentals, but I'm not sure. I moved out of Sellerville in 2000. You could also head up near Mt Airy Casino to Sunset Hill that I know has rentals.

ItchyFinger
01-02-2012, 18:12
Narrowed it down to the G19 and the Walther PPQ. There's no explaining how incredibly good the PPQ feels in the hands. Awesome.

Rooster Rugburn
01-02-2012, 18:24
Narrowed it down to the G19 and the Walther PPQ. There's no explaining how incredibly good the PPQ feels in the hands. Awesome.

But for a first pistol, consider that buying the G19 or the G26 gives you more options.

Use the G26 with a a G17 magazine and a grip extension, gives you a full size and sub compact. The same with the G19 using the G17 mags and grip extension.

G26 - basically 3 pistols in one. Sub compact, compact, full size.

G19 - basically 2 pistols in one. Compact and full size.

PPQ - basically one magnificent pistol.

If it is your first and ONLY pistol, a configurable pistol like the G19 or G26 can give you more tools in your tool box.

southernshooter
01-03-2012, 05:47
If you want a handgun that has a trigger that is always "light" then regular double action or double action only are out of the picture. In that price range you could get a Ruger 1911 and some ammo or a Springfield range officer. They have pretty good (light) triggers all the time. Recommending these due to your response that "Glock triggers are not light" Heck, you might as well start your collection with a 1911 because no collection is complete without one. Whatever you decide, remember it is just the beginning of a lifelong hobby of collecting. You will add different styles as time goes by.

KarlThomas
01-03-2012, 07:26
When you say that a glock trigger isn't light, I think you're comparing apples to oranges. You are probably comparing the single action mode of the sig p229 to the striker fired action of the glock. For a striker fired pistol, the glock has quite the light trigger.

Now this is my opinion, and it varies greatly from person to person on here, believe me, but I like glock for personal defense and carry because it is simple, only fires in one mode (as opposed to SA/DA) and there is no safety. The trigger is light enough to be proficient with, but not overly light that you might ND in a stressful situation. Doesn't hurt that you can use high capacity glock mags with a 26 and that glocks have the most accesories and best availability for parts on the market.
Glock is not my favorite gun, but it is my favorite gun for personal defense.

I have not shot the PPQ, but have heard great things. Keep in mind the size and decide for yourself if it's going to be easy enough to conceal. For me, I don't think it would work out. I'm not even comfortable carrying the 19. 26 wins for me. As has been mentioned, try the M&P9c as well. I like the ergos better than the glock 26 and it is easily concealed, even though I believe the slide is a touch longer than the 26.

cptslick
01-03-2012, 07:30
Too bad you don't live in my area. I have a G19 for sale with night sights and 4 mags and a Fobus holster.. Less than 120rds fired Gen 3.

highfructosecornsyrp
01-03-2012, 07:58

If you buy the glock, you can, for $300 more, get a 22 conversion kit and put 500 rounds of trigger time in for the low low price of 20 dollars...again and again.

I love my 19 and my 22 conversion kit...

blk69stang
01-03-2012, 08:40
Since the P2000 and P2000sk have already been discussed, I won't get into that too much.

But I will say that if you're considering one of them, be SURE to check out the "LEM" (law enforcement modification)hammer/trigger setup. It's like a traditional DA only setup, but with the hammer "pre-cocked" it makes for one heck of a smooth and light trigger pull with the pull just a little heavier for the last bit of pull. My work pistol is set up like this, and I have to say that after I got used to it, it is probably my favorite semi-auto pistol trigger pull out of any I've tried yet. It is definitely worth handling yourself.

Also, FWIW, the P2000 series seems to embody that typical German "overbuilt/overengineered" feel to it. No shoddy cheap parts on it; everything on that gun is built like a tank.

ItchyFinger
02-05-2012, 14:21
Just an update. I ordered a Walther PPQ 9mm yesterday. I will update again once I receive it and take it to the range.

travis34769
02-05-2012, 15:58
Go to a range with rental guns; a wide variety of them. Try as many as you can, then pick which one you like the best.

This is correct! You need to take a look for yourself. You need to get the feel of the pistols. Just picking one because someone says they like it is not going to be a good idea. I like Fords but dont just go buy one. Test drive it first.

Of course take the opinions of the others with you when you go to the range. This could help your purchase go a little easier.