How much is too much? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

DoctaGlockta
12-29-2011, 12:48
Sitting here at the end of the year and contemplating making a decent sized order for primers and powder. Was about to click the confirm order button and thought perhaps I had enough components already. Will I ever reload and shoot that much ammo? Plus I don't have nearly the same amount of projectiles on hand. Should I store extra for a rainy day or for the day one can't order this material to the door?

Just wondering how much is too much?

Appreciate your thoughts Gentlemen.

Happy New Year!

eclark53520
12-29-2011, 12:49
IMO, as much as you can afford.

If i had the money, I would have a lifetime supply in my basement.

GioaJack
12-29-2011, 12:58
Is there such a thing as too much money, too many girlfriends, too much sex or too much verbally reprobating Little Stevie or Zombie Steve?

The same answer applies to loading components.

(Of course you always have to set aside some of the funds for quality scotch.)

Jack

PCJim
12-29-2011, 13:06
The way this administration is killing our country, I don't believe you can stock up enough primers, powder, bullets and beans. I won't say how much is on hand, but I'm not worrying about a shortage should BHO (heaven forbid) get reelected.

WiskyT
12-29-2011, 13:20
It sounds like you have a projectile shortage (disfunction?). You need one of these

http://madcommando.com/eStore/images/LEE%206%20CAVITY%20MOLD.JPG

EL_NinO619
12-29-2011, 13:35
That mold looks like it would be hard to cast with, one handle and all...

Me I'm one of those crazy SHTF guys, I would stock up to I ran out of room...

freakshow10mm
12-29-2011, 13:39
I'd start out with a case of each primer type you use and go from there. At least a case (2- 8lb jugs) of each type of powder. I use a lot of WSF and Longshot, so a case of each gets me free hazmat at Graf's and I tack primers on top of that too.

shotgunred
12-29-2011, 13:58
Just wondering how much is too much?

Appreciate your thoughts Gentlemen.

Happy New Year!

Just looking at those primer prices makes me want to buy some. Even though I have enough for several years.

Zombie Steve
12-29-2011, 14:43
Components aren't getting any cheaper.

dkf
12-29-2011, 15:02
If at any point you feel you have too many components I'll send you address and you send them to me.

If you don't use the components you can sell them or use them for other things.

unclebob
12-29-2011, 15:25
I like to try and keep at least a year supply of components on hand. I also like to spread out what I buy over the year or years. So when need be I get 30,000 to 50,000 primers when I get down to about 20,000 primers. I also get when need be about 32 lbs. of powder that last me a couple of years. Bullets we order 2 to 3 times a year. So I like to have a least 10,000 or more of 9mm on hand. And a couple of thousand .45. I set aside money every month just for the purpose of buy components. Yes it cost a lot but you save in the long run.

WiskyT
12-29-2011, 17:39
I like to try and keep at least a year supply of components on hand. I also like to spread out what I buy over the year or years. So when need be I get 30,000 to 50,000 primers when I get down to about 20,000 primers. I also get when need be about 32 lbs. of powder that last me a couple of years. Bullets we order 2 to 3 times a year. So I like to have a least 10,000 or more of 9mm on hand. And a couple of thousand .45. I set aside money every month just for the purpose of buy components. Yes it cost a lot but you save in the long run.

From a guy who doesn't buy green bananas.

labdwakin
12-29-2011, 17:45
I am the WRONG person to ask this question since I have over 50k projectiles and more primers and powder than I care to mention. Did I mention that I somehow keep acquiring Dillon presses? Look, if you can afford it, if you love to reload and shoot...

GET WHATEVER YOU WANT!!!

cyberiad
12-29-2011, 18:27
Primers and powder don't take up that much room but you didn't mention how much you shoot. If you're not combining your order with one or more friends, order at least a case of primers (small and large pistol if you shoot both) and 4 or 8 pounds of powder to make the shipping and hazmat worthwhile. If you haven't decided on a powder buy a pound or two locally.

fredj338
12-29-2011, 23:31
Primers, gotta have em. Powder can be scrounged form many sources & if forced to, you can make just about any powder workable in any handgun caliber. SO IMO, can't have enough primers. I keep 5K min for all sizes I use & order another 5K each when I get to the min. On primers I use a lot, I like having 10K on hand. During the last "shortage", I didn't have to scrounge or over pay for primers to keep shooting.
IMO, you do need a way to make your own bullets if you are any serious SHTF type of guy. I am even thinking o getting a set of dies to swage my own bullets for the 223, just to have the ability to do that.

Three-Five-Seven
12-30-2011, 09:57
I've lived through two primer shortages. Both times, it took over a year for things to recover. Both times, people hoarding primers made things worse.

An active shooter, therefore, needs more primers on hand than can be safely kept in the home.

DanaT
12-30-2011, 12:32
Is there such a thing as too much money

NO

too many girlfriends,

Yes. Keeping them apart is a challenge.

too much sex

Well, sure. It just seems that you haven't made it to that point. :)

GioaJack
12-30-2011, 12:45
Well, sure. It just seems that you haven't made it to that point. :)

By virtue of its definition the unattainable is unattainable... the fun is in trying to reach that unattainable goal.

Admittedly you are one of the more intelligent individuals roaming the earth but even with that Mensa level IQ the simple truth is you're married so you'll never be able to truly comprehend the concept. :supergrin:

Mores the pity. :whistling:

Jack

rewster
12-30-2011, 16:07
It sounds like you have a projectile shortage (disfunction?). You need one of these

http://madcommando.com/eStore/images/LEE%206%20CAVITY%20MOLD.JPG

Just remember !!!! If you cast for more than 4 hours - get to a doctor right away ! :wow:

Kentguy
12-30-2011, 18:21
Doctaglockta,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Ahhh... The age old question, "How much is too much"? <o:p></o:p>
When it comes to money... No such thing as too much!<o:p></o:p>
When it comes to women... One is usually what most men can tolerate.<o:p></o:p>
When it comes to Sex... Well if you stick around long enough, old age will take care of that for you.<o:p></o:p>

Now as for a Great bottle of Scotch... I'll let you all know when (or if) I finish this one in front of me.<o:p></o:p>

As for your original question, If you shoot a modest amount, you should have a minimum of 1,000 rounds made up and enough supplies (casings, primers, powder and bullets) for 5,000 to 7,000 rounds on the shelf. Most anyone can easily store that amount of supplies and work off that. <o:p></o:p>

BK63
12-31-2011, 06:43
Every time I happen by a sports shop to look around, if they have the type of powder or primers I use I pick up some. I don't need it but I'm there. It's either that or buy bulk online and pay the hazmat fee. If you have the means, and the room to store it, get it. A couple years ago I started reloading again after a 15 year break due to raising family and all. I used an 8 pound keg of Unique that was 20 years old as well as primers that old too. It all went bang. Stock up if you have the means and place to store it.