Lee Vs. Hornady lock n load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Vs. Hornady lock n load

wht90lx
12-29-2011, 14:24
I am looking into getting into reloading and I want to start with a single stage. What I want to know is the Hornady press worth the extra money over the lee press? I want to start off reloading with .38spl and .357 and work my way into 10mm down the road. Thanks for the help.

Black Smoke Trail
12-29-2011, 14:42
I am looking into getting into reloading and I want to start with a single stage. What I want to know is the Hornady press worth the extra money over the lee press? I want to start off reloading with .38spl and .357 and work my way into 10mm down the road. Thanks for the help.

The Lee presses are mostly aluminum but are good quality presses for the beginnging loader who will not be loading large amounts of ammunition. Lee reloading products are very affordable for the level of quality you get. For larger and more challenging cartridges, you may find that you will want to upgrade at a later point.

The Hornady Lock-N-Load single stage is a MUCH more robust and heavy duty press made of steel/iron and come also is a great classic kit which is on sale right now by the way.

I think you will find the Hornady components most expensive but with a level of quality and durability that comes with their components.

I have probably reloaded close to 20,000 12 gauge shot gun shell on my Hornadyt 366 just to give you an idea of how durable they are. Their center fire rifle reloading equipment is of equal durability in my opinion.

I think you will find that IF and as you get more and more into reload, you will want to upgrade to better quality more durable/reliable components.

Depending on how much you decide to get into reloading and the volume of ammo you reload both are a good choice for their target niche market.

I personally would prefer the Hornady equipment. I have both. The Lee presses I find useful for individual odd ball tasks and I have pretty much standardized my reloading equipment as much as possible to Hornady.

There are other good quality brands out the such as RCBS, Forster, Redding and more.

Before you pull the trigger on buying a kit or individual components, I recommend that you review the numerous reloader reviews posted throughout the internet. Easily found doing a Google search. I also suggest if possible that you try to get an actual hands on look in a store and compare the brands and components for yourself.

Good reloading equipment will last several life time if properly cared for. Best to do thorough research before you buy.

I am sure other will post their experiences, observations, and opinions with the reloading components they have become comfortable and productive with. What really matters is that the equipment and components you decide to buy work well for you and you are confident and comfortable using them with minimal hassles and complications to distract you from your reloading task at hand. SAFETY, ACCURACY, and REPEATABILITY are paramount along with your confidence in your equipment........again get what works best for you.

dkf
12-29-2011, 14:50
All the Lee presses are not aluminum. Lee offers their Classic Cast single stage press with the Breech Lock system. I think the breech lock system is nicer than the LNL setup because a little button locks the collar/die in place to keep it from rotating. Plus the Lee setup costs less. No brainer IMO. The Hornady LNL SS is cast aluminum.

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/breechlockclassic.html

That said for loading pistol you may want to consider the Lee Classic Turret.(Cast Iron version) You can use it as a single stage or a turret press. It doesn't use the Breech Lock system but has turrets that are quickly changed and not very expensive.

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/classic.html

Colorado4Wheel
12-29-2011, 14:53
Look more Closely at the Sticky and the LCT kit from Kempfs.

Black Smoke Trail
12-29-2011, 14:54
All the Lee presses are not aluminum. Lee offers their Classic Cast single stage press with the Breech Lock system. I think the breech lock system is nicer than the LNL setup because a little button locks the collar/die in place to keep it from rotating. Plus the Lee setup costs less. No brainer IMO.

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/breechlockclassic.html

That said for loading pistol you may want to consider the Lee Classic Turret.(Cast Iron version) You can use it as a single stage or a turret press. It doesn't use the Breech Lock system but has turrets that are quickly changed and not very expensive.

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/classic.html

Correct. An oversight on my part. Correction made.

unclebob
12-29-2011, 15:04
The Lee single stage cast press is made out of old railroad tracks that are melted down and cast formed, then CNCed to make the press. Another option for you would be getting the Lee classic LCT press. You can use it as a single stage press to learn on and then you would have a turret press to speed up production.
But between the Lee cast press and the Hornady. I think I would lean more towards the Lee.

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2011, 15:07
Look more Closely at the Sticky and the LCT kit from Kempfs.

The Lee single stage cast press is made out of old railroad tracks that are melted down and cast formed, then CNCed to make the press. Another option for you would be getting the Lee classic LCT press. You can use it as a single stage press to learn on and then you would have a turret press to speed up production.
But between the Lee cast press and the Hornady. I think I would lean more towards the Lee.

What these guys said.

If I was gonna stick with a Single Stage however, I'd get the Lee Classic Cast. If you like Hornady's "bushing" system, so you're not resetting dies constantly, you can use Lee's Breech Lock Classic Cast.... However after you're done buying all those bushings, etc.. for 3 calibers.. I'd be cheaper to get an LCT and a few toolheads.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/824144/lee-classic-cast-breech-lock-single-stage-press

Colorado4Wheel
12-29-2011, 15:12
The only thing is the Hornady comes as a kit. So it might actually be cheaper then the Lee. I don't like the scale in the Hornady kit at all. I actually like the LCT Kempf kit because it comes with NO SCALE. Then you don't end up with a POS that you want to replace later.

thorn137
12-29-2011, 15:20
For loading the pistol rounds you've listed, there's simply no reason to concern yourself with iron vs steel vs aluminum when it comes to selecting a press, IMHO. Given a quality casting, there are other parts that are far more likely to break than the housing itself. If we're talking 50 BMG, then strength and leverage become an issue. For 10mm and 38 spl, not so much.

In any case, if you're like many people, you're going to find that reloading a decent volume of pistol ammo on a SS press can become rather tedious after awhile. I'm not saying you should start with a progressive (thought i did), but it's something to keep in mind. One advantage the Hornady SS press will offer you is that if you upgrade to the LNL-AP at some future point, you can use those same bushings in each press... no buying additional toolheads, etc.

Finally, look carefully at the items IN a kit, when considering one. It's not uncommon that kits include things you might be better replacing with something else (ie, the Lee beam scale) or might not need at all (dippers), so compare prices and contents accordingly.

thorn

sdelam
12-29-2011, 16:56
I have the lee classic cast single stage and it is a great press. I also have a LNL and found that I could install a Hornady bushing system in the lee press. Now I can interchange my dies between the two presses without having to readjust the dies. Very minor height difference (about 2 layers of tape under the bushing set up) and now it is perfect.

dkf
12-29-2011, 16:58
I don't necessarily buy presses with cast iron castings over aluminum for the rigidity. I buy them because if you keep them oiled the wear will be practically non existant for many many decades. Less wear = less slop.

DoctaGlockta
12-29-2011, 17:46
I have the lee classic cast single stage and it is a great press. I also have a LNL and found that I could install a Hornady bushing system in the lee press. Now I can interchange my dies between the two presses without having to readjust the dies. Very minor height difference (about 2 layers of tape under the bushing set up) and now it is perfect.

Same here. This IMO is a great set up that functions well.

F106 Fan
12-29-2011, 17:56
In my view, you need to step back and think about this reloading stuff. Read the 'stickies' at the top of the forum and get at least one decent reloading manual. Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Norma and Nosler come to mind.

Here's why: reloading any quantity of ammunition on a single stage press gets old very quick. Sure, it's dead simple and the ammo will be first rate but it takes forever to load 100 rounds.

I have never even seen a Lee Classic Turret but I have watched YouTube videos about it. At least the shell is only handled once even if it is manually indexed through 4 stations. That is going to be a LOT faster than a single stage press.

Single stage presses are great for precision rifle. But loading fifty rifle rounds is a big deal and may provide enough ammo for a couple of range sessions.

I don't shoot wheel guns any more but when I did, I would burn through a couple of hundred rounds every time out. With the semiautos, I go through a LOT more and with 4 of us shooting from my ammo can, we blast through several hundred to a thousand every time out.

From time to time I shoot my S&W Model 52 (.38 wadcutter semiauto) because it is probably the most accurate handgun I own. I load up a thousand or so Hornady HBWCs at a time. This is done on a relative slow Dillon 550B.

I started with a single stage press and I still have it. I loaded pistol ammo for no more than a week before moving on to something similar to the LCT. That only lasted for a couple of months before I moved to the Dillon 550B. I just don't have the patience to spend hours and hours to get 100 rounds out of a single stage. I can get 100 rounds out of my Dillon 1050 (.45 ACP) in about 5 minutes.

Richard

BLK RIFLE
12-30-2011, 20:23
I started loading in 1960 and have done so ever since. I started with Lee and they make great presses and other stuff you need for reloading. I still have a Lee single stage Lee that I've had for 30 years. I suggest you start with a single stage and when you think you are ready, go to a progressive. I have a Lee Loadmaster 5 station turret that I load for my pistols and ARs but I use my single stage to load my M1 Garand loads because I do them one at a time for accuracy. You can't go wrong with the Lee loaders.

Colorado4Wheel
12-30-2011, 20:48
In my view, you need to step back and think about this reloading stuff. Read the 'stickies' at the top of the forum and get at least one decent reloading manual. Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Norma and Nosler come to mind.

Here's why: reloading any quantity of ammunition on a single stage press gets old very quick. Sure, it's dead simple and the ammo will be first rate but it takes forever to load 100 rounds.

I have never even seen a Lee Classic Turret but I have watched YouTube videos about it. At least the shell is only handled once even if it is manually indexed through 4 stations. That is going to be a LOT faster than a single stage press.

Single stage presses are great for precision rifle. But loading fifty rifle rounds is a big deal and may provide enough ammo for a couple of range sessions.

I don't shoot wheel guns any more but when I did, I would burn through a couple of hundred rounds every time out. With the semiautos, I go through a LOT more and with 4 of uus shooting from my ammo can, we blast through several hundred to a thousand every time out.

From time to time I shoot my S&W Model 52 (.38 wadcutter semiauto) because it is probably the most accurate handgun I own. I load up a thousand or so Hornady HBWCs at a time. This is done on a relative slow Dillon 550B.

I started with a single stage press and I still have it. I loaded pistol ammo for no more than a week before moving on to something similar to the LCT. That only lasted for a couple of months before I moved to the Dillon 550B. I just don't have the patience to spend hours and hours to get 100 rounds out of a single stage. I can get 100 rounds out of my Dillon 1050 (.45 ACP) in about 5 minutes.

Richard

LCT is a auto indexing press. I have a video on my photobucket page.

F106 Fan
12-30-2011, 22:33
LCT is a auto indexing press. I have a video on my photobucket page.

I stand corrected! I wasn't watching carefully as I viewed a video on YouTube. My bad...

Richard

wanderinwalker
12-31-2011, 07:42
I think for handgun loading only, the new LEE Classic Turret is the way to go for learning the ropes. You're only handling one case at a time, so you don't have as much to keep track of as on a progressive, but you're not handling the case multiple times like with a single-stage, so your output is better. It's really a nice compromise, especially with the auto-indexing feature.

GioaJack
12-31-2011, 10:37
SS stage press. CO-AX. :whistling:

You'll have a Happy New year.

(CO-AX has the most precise priming system of every press made... period. Unfortunately that's not that big of a deal but it's nice.)

Jack

shotgunred
12-31-2011, 10:51

Saying I want to load pistol rounds with a single stage is like saying I want to learn to hunt so I will start with a rock and a sharp stick. Progressives are faster and safer!

wht90lx
01-02-2012, 09:22
I am leaning towards the kempf turret kit. From what I have read it sounds like a good place to start as a beginner.

alwaysshootin
01-02-2012, 10:40
I am leaning towards the kempf turret kit. From what I have read it sounds like a good place to start as a beginner.

If it's this one, https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=629&category_id=23&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

You made a wise decision, just be sure to check around, I googled, and, one of the first places I went to had it for $15 cheaper than Kempf. You will want to get a turret head for each round you are loading, makes for easy caliber switch.:cool:

IndyGunFreak
01-02-2012, 11:58
If it's this one, https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=629&category_id=23&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

You made a wise decision, just be sure to check around, I googled, and, one of the first places I went to had it for $15 cheaper than Kempf. You will want to get a turret head for each round you are loading, makes for easy caliber switch.:cool:

That's just the press ;)

But yeah, that's a great press to start on. Get the kempf's get, add a quality beam scale, and you're rolling.

alwaysshootin
01-02-2012, 12:15
What I meant was I found it here for less. Just the press!

http://fsreloading.com/html/xcart/cart.php

norton
01-02-2012, 12:32
As many have stated before, you will always find a use for a quality single stage, even if you move up eventually to a progressive.
IMHO, the words quality single stage are synonymous with Rock Chucker.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 12:58
If you are talking Lee Classic Cast, no, no advatnage other than the quick change bushings. The bushing thing i snice, but once you set the dies & lock the rings, they do not require any add'l. adjsuting. So it's not a big deal.

fredj338
01-02-2012, 13:01
You can't go wrong with the Lee loaders.
Sure you can. Friends don't let friends buy Lee progressives. For a small amount more, you can get really good progressives now days.

kcbrown
01-02-2012, 14:05
Sure you can. Friends don't let friends buy Lee progressives. For a small amount more, you can get really good progressives now days.

I dunno. The Pro 1000 is pretty darned cheap ($150 including dies -- all that's missing is the case collator).

The problem with the Lees is that their quality control isn't the best in the world, so you have to sort of "fill in" for that. You also have to fully understand the mechanical operation of the press and be willing and able to work any problem through to its conclusion. If you're not willing to do that, then spend the extra money on something better. If it's going to be your first or only press, then definitely look elsewhere unless you have a great deal of experience and/or patience.

Admittedly, the difference in terms of price is negligible once you amortize the difference over the amount of time you're likely to have it (many, many years). And the Dillons, in particular, will hold their value over time (not their price, their value -- the prices for used presses are just a little less than the prices for new ones at any given point in time because Dillon takes such good care of the customer).

Tpro
01-03-2012, 17:09
Save yourself the headache and buy the LnL AP. If you can run the LCT you can use a progressive.

Some myths never die. In 99% of the cases a progressive is the better choice.

Buy once and buy correctly. You save money in the long run. Please don't step over donuts to grab a dog turd.

I'm not saying the LCT is a dog turd, just that is prolly not what you need.

labdwakin
01-03-2012, 17:25
My advice is to start with something very simple. The LCT is a pretty good example of that. The question to ask yourself is whether you'll still want to keep the LCT when you get a higher speed press like a Dillon or LnL... IF it were me, I'd start with the Classic Cast Breech Lock and go from there.

Colorado4Wheel
01-03-2012, 17:58
Save yourself the headache and buy the LnL AP. If you can run the LCT you can use a progressive.

Some myths never die. In 99% of the cases a progressive is the better choice.

Buy once and buy correctly. You save money in the long run. Please don't step over donuts to grab a dog turd.

I'm not saying the LCT is a dog turd, just that is prolly not what you need.

So I sold my LnL to get a 650 and a LCT. I guess you could say there is more then one way to do it.

PsychoKnight
01-05-2012, 22:04
That's just the press ;)

Get the kempf's get, add a quality beam scale, and you're rolling.

I say stay away from the beams which have poise detents at .5 or 5gr intervals. It will mess you up. Check for decimal increments (.1, 1, 10gr).

For the money, I like the Dillon Eliminator (I try to ignore the plastic bearings and adjustable-crud ballasting pan). Get a checkweight set - they'll all the same, except the deluxe versions have more pieces and are more functional.

Progressive, LCT, beefy single - its all good. If you go overboard and buy too much press, you still won't regret it. We've never heard of anybody downgrading because "Awe shucks, I cranked out ammo way too fast, what am I gonna do with the rest of my time? I'm gonna sell this and get something slower and more tedious." If you under-buy, you'll simply get antsy for something more productive and will upgrade before long; its not a problem. You're gonna hear 50 opinions because everyone has different experiences and priorities.

Just commit to a press type and sort out the details as you go.
(You don't know what you got yourself into)

Adam h
01-05-2012, 22:13
I'm fairly new to reloading myself - about a month in. I purchased the Lee anniversary kit and a set of 10mm dies. I've only loaded about 150 rounds so far, but I love it! I think the value is great, and it came with everything you need.