Am I safe [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Am I safe

twag4
12-29-2011, 16:25
I have been hand loading now for about 9 months. I finally bought some unique because of all of the accolades it receives on this forum. Tell me what a good safe load using berry's 115g plated round nose and unique would be, PLEASE. Also include case length. This has been the problem I have found after searching GT as well as Google-they always leave out OAL when they give their recipes. Or they want to max out load data at huge OAL. My two books dont have good data for lead in 115g. And they differ on fmj OAL. The bullets were a gift, I normally buy 124g rn plated. Going to go the Precision Delta FMJ route after these are gone, but I gotta use these up. Im just going to be using them for range/plinking in a G19. Thanks. Please save the "use the search remarks. I have for over an hour. GT makes you wait minimum of 30 seconds if you get no hits before you try again. It is maddening and slow. I wanna load up 50 and try them tomorrow then load up a gob.

cowboy1964
12-29-2011, 16:26
Use Google for searching GT. In the search box just use site:www.glocktalk.com before your search term(s).

GioaJack
12-29-2011, 16:49
You don't need published OAL data, it means relatively nothing to the guns you'll be loading for. (Obviously you don't want to load a round excessively short since you'll run into pressure problems but as long as you're to the front of the front driving band or the forward edge of the ogive you'll be fine.)

For OAL for your barrels, or cylinder learn to load so the bullet does not impact into the lands when being chambered and that they function freely through your magazines. For revolvers simply crimp into the crimping groove, (there are some minor exceptions), or in the case of a bullet with no crimping groove or cannelure simply load to just slightly short of the cylinder face.

Published OAL's probably cause more confusion second only as to what powder to use.

Keep in mind that many of us loaded for years and years without owning a caliper. Learn the basics, load safely and you'll be fine.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2011, 16:53
These are both FMJ loads, so you should probably dial them back a tad for plated. Keep in mind the first load is from Alliant, the second one is a "guest" submitted load... Trust but verify.. ;)

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=9%20mm&Weight=115&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

FMJ 6.1 gr Unique 1,185 fps 1.12" WSP Alliant
Suggested starting load: 5.5 gr
Pressure: 30,100

TMJ 5.5 gr Unique 1,166 fps 1.230" CCI SP guest
Works great in both my Glock 17 and my Taurus 92.

XDRoX
12-29-2011, 16:59
I have loaded 115gr Berry's with Unique many times.

I have loaded rounds from 5.0gr to 6.0gr.
All shot fine. I found my best accuracy at 5.3gr.

I have experimented with OAL's from 1.130" to 1.160".
I settled on 1.140" because this OAL works in all 8 of my 9mm's.

All this was using 115gr Berry's Plated Bullets.

I can also post some chrono data if you want it. But anywhere from 5 to 6 grains is safe. Also many of these rounds were shot from a G19.

WiskyT
12-29-2011, 17:41
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3s5btRVDelg/SfYxsj5fcWI/AAAAAAAAARQ/1CJ_Ve6Y_80/s400/is+it+safe.bmp

PhantomF4E
12-29-2011, 19:23
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3s5btRVDelg/SfYxsj5fcWI/AAAAAAAAARQ/1CJ_Ve6Y_80/s400/is+it+safe.bmp
Exactly waht I thought when I read the post. I worked in a movie theater when I was in High school . We ran Marathon Man. Saw that movie 200 times.. Yes it's safe, it's very safe !!!!

twag4
12-29-2011, 23:32
Exactly waht I thought when I read the post. I worked in a movie theater when I was in High school . We ran Marathon Man. Saw that movie 200 times.. Yes it's safe, it's very safe !!!!

Yes, sorry about the title. I was going to list the recipe I thought I had decided on when I realized I was probably just opening myself up to ridicule. Thought maybe the great wealth of mental horsepower from the GT brain trust would steer me down a good path. Unfortunately I forgot to change the title to something that made sense.