couple of reloading newb questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : couple of reloading newb questions

interlake869
12-29-2011, 19:02
ive been second guessing my reloads that i have freshly made and havent shot about a few things

first thing is the cartrige -44mag

-how do you determine that you have enough crimp without a factory crimp die? i have the proper COL measurement of 1.60 in (hornady xtp in hornady case powered by 19.8grn of 2400)

-should i worry about primer seat depth? im using the auto prime feature on my lee classic turret... obviously you dont want a primer sticking out but how do i know im not getting it in too far or too shallow

snowwdog
12-29-2011, 19:12
not sure on that press but on my dillion 650 i can feel the primer bottom out and i know its home. crimp on that bullet should be noticeable but not excessive. look at a factory round and just put about the same amount of crimp on there. on the primers use a straight edge and run it across the bottom of the case and see if you can feel the primer hit it. If it hits it you need to go deeper. Also look at the primer and make sure it isnt flattened out. Make sure it still has the rounded edges after seating. If you flatten it out you pushed to hard.

firefighter4215
12-29-2011, 19:17
I have a classic turret. To my knowledge I've never seated a primer too deep. I have failed to seat one deep enough two or three times though. I don't think you can seat one too deep with that press. It's either right or wrong. I could be wrong too though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Colorado4Wheel
12-29-2011, 19:22
You would nearly break the press before you over seat the primer on that press. Most people think they need to be careful when seating primers in a Push To Prime press. Reality is somewhat different. Just push smoothly and with good effort. You will feel it seat. Always use a little extra pressure then the minimum. That avoids high primers.

fredj338
12-29-2011, 23:28
You would nearly break the press before you over seat the primer on that press. Most people think they need to be careful when seating primers in a Push To Prime press. Reality is somewhat different. Just push smoothly and with good effort. You will feel it seat. Always use a little extra pressure then the minimum. That avoids high primers.

Good advice. I have crushed primers, they do nto go off by seating them hard. A high primer will kep the cyl from turning, not good.
OAL with jacketed bullets having a cannelure or crimp groove get crimped ther, regardless of any OAL numbers you found in a book.:dunno:

freakshow10mm
12-29-2011, 23:58
Crimp: Seat the bullet to depth. Back the round out. Back the seating stem out a few turns. Turn the die down a half turn and raise the round into the die. Check the crimp amount visually. Adjust in quarter turn increments until it's right. Once you have your crimp set, screw the seating stem down until it stops, then set the lock ring(s) on the die. That's your setting. This is for a seating/crimping die that seats and crimps in the same die.

This is how I much crimp I put on my .44 Magnum ammunition (250gr LSWC @ 1,400fps 6 inch M29):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN2523.jpg

Primer depth: Run your finger over the seated primer. It it's below flush, you're fine. Seating primers with the push method like that press uses is a feel thing. You'll learn it.