Just Bought a Kel-Tec PMR-30!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a Kel-Tec PMR-30!!!!

The_Gun_Guru
12-29-2011, 21:24
I love GunBroker!!!

I already have four mags for this gun because I knew that I would own one someday. I am ordering four more mags tomorrow! Anyone own one of these? Can you comment on it's quality and reliability?

Thanks!

Pics when it arrives.:banana:

TGG

Jim Watson
12-29-2011, 21:39
You bought it, you comment to us on its quality and reliability. Might save me some money.

Cole125
12-29-2011, 22:12
Congrats! Those are badass pistols, I am sure you will enjoy it!

ChuteTheMall
12-29-2011, 22:19
I'd like to see whatever penetration tests you can manage, whether it's freezer bags full of water, or wet newspaper, or geletin, or drywall, or critters.

Also, how's the blast & flash?

And is the grip unsuitable for tiny female hands?

Ultralight & ultra-high capacity, interesting concept.:cool:

TreyG-20
12-29-2011, 22:23
I'd like to see whatever penetration tests you can manage, whether it's freezer bags full of water, or wet newspaper, or geletin, or drywall, or critters.

Me too ive really wanted one of these for awhile. I love the concept. Congrats!!

GlockFish
12-29-2011, 22:33
I love GunBroker!!!

I already have four mags for this gun because I knew that I would own one someday. I am ordering four more mags tomorrow! Anyone own one of these? Can you comment on it's quality and reliability?

Thanks!

TGG

We'll need to see pictures. And a detailed range report. Kthx

:wavey:

smokeross
12-29-2011, 22:43
I want one. Updates please. I remember the AMT automag .22's JUNK. I now own a Mountain Eagle .22 lr and love it. 20 round mags and functions flawlessly. Would like to upgrade to .22 mag and 30 rounds. I can pack the Mountain Eagle all day in a shoulder holster on the snowmachine with no discomfort and all that ammo capability.

The_Gun_Guru
12-29-2011, 22:45

Tests are NOT possible I'm afraid.

Living in South FL has it's drawbacks....despite our AWESOME gun laws! Nowhere to shoot bags, newspaper or gelatin. Too many people around!

YES! It's THAT bad!!!!

TGG

12-29-2011, 22:53
If it's anything like its predecessor, the Grendel P-30, you'll love it. 30 rounds of .22 WMR is fun!:wavey:

kubura
12-29-2011, 23:48
Did Kel-Tec fixed the keyholing issues with this gun?

PMR-30 production was suspended for a while, due to the rate of twist in the barrel which did not stabilize the bullet in flight.

stopatrain
12-30-2011, 00:26
Nice!

carbuncle
12-30-2011, 01:21
We'll need to see pictures. And a detailed range report. Kthx

:wavey:

The motion is seconded!

Glock40man
12-30-2011, 01:28
If it's anything like its predecessor, the Grendel P-30, you'll love it. 30 rounds of .22 WMR is fun!:wavey:

Yeah, The Grendel P-30 is fun to shoot.

The_Gun_Guru
12-30-2011, 05:59
Did Kel-Tec fixed the keyholing issues with this gun?

PMR-30 production was suspended for a while, due to the rate of twist in the barrel which did not stabilize the bullet in flight.

This is a POST-RECALL gun, according to the item description.

And YES! As soon as I receive it Iwill post a few pics:banana:

TGG

method
12-30-2011, 06:22
http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page1504.htm

There's gel tests from a 2 inch revolver. No expansion with HP, but good penetration. Maybe the longer KT can get the HP to open up some.

CMG
12-30-2011, 07:31
I had one of those a year or so back.

Mine would only run with CCI Maxi-Mags, but it did run fine with them.

Accuracy was pretty good as well, but too much flash and blast to really enjoy shooting it.

After the novelty wore off I sold it for more than I paid.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/History/KTPMR30L.jpg

eracer
12-30-2011, 07:59
Do want.

(Although if I buy one of these I will have to convert my 77/22 over to .22 WMR...sigh)

kubura
12-30-2011, 10:05
This is a POST-RECALL gun, according to the item description.

And YES! As soon as I receive it Iwill post a few pics:banana:

TGG

That's good to know. I will start looking for a post-recall PMR-30.

Congrats on your new purchase.:wavey:

itstime
12-30-2011, 10:26
I've been on a list for um well, when did they come out??????

itstime
12-30-2011, 10:29
For $306. What are they going for now? I've seen them for $600 at shows and that isn't a typo.

MC350
12-30-2011, 11:11
[QUOTE=The_Gun_Guru;18356657]I love GunBroker!!!

Thanks!

Pics when it arrives.:banana

Go visit http://www.thektog.org/
Lots of good info/tips for any Kel Tec. I was able to get two PMR 30's for Xmas with consecutive serial numbers from my local dealer. Gave one to my son & I'm keeping the other one. Only shot off a couple hundred rounds in the yard on Xmas morning but it sure was a blast. One gun ran flawlessly with CCI ammo, the other gun had 3 FTF using some cheap Winchester ammo.
After that it ran perfect. KelTec has now been producing the 3rd generation of upgrades since the pistol was introduced. Both of these are the latest & I believe will most likely be the last for any upgrades. You can't beat Kel Tec for customer service should you need anything.
The Kel Tec forum will give you serail number cutoff points so you know if you have the latest model. I've had good luck with KelTec in the past and the one time I needed a hammer spring, I just called them & I had it 4 days later delivered to me no charge....
For the price you pay for any KelTec, you get a very decent and reliable gun for the money....
Have fun with it.

Victoriagotagun
12-30-2011, 13:18

Yeah, The Grendel P-30 is fun to shoot.

You guys must of gotten lucky with a P-30 that worked right. :whistling:

bebrown1075
12-31-2011, 08:17
I got my PMR-30 a few weeks ago. It is a post recall gun. It does not key hole as it has the updated non-fluted barrel. I was skeptical at first because of the problems with the earlier guns and the somtimes bad press that Kel-tec gets. But I have to say it is a riot to shoot. The tirgger is really smooth and nice. The sights are easy to pick up. Don't try loading 30 rounds in the mag for the first few times you shoot it. The spring is pretty tight out of the box. Mine runs perfect on CCI Maxi Mags. I just picked up some Hornady Critical Defense for it as well as Hornady V-max.

It is easy to take apart and clean.

The gun is VERY light in the hand. Even with a full 30 round mag in it.

It sounds like nothing else I have shot before. You expect a pop but you get a pretty bright muzzle flash and a pretty good bang for the lack of a better way to put it.

Good luck and enjoy it when you finally get it!

Brad

docwade
12-31-2011, 09:34
I like the concept. I had the P30L long barrel version of its predecessor. I don't like the location of the safety and the grip seems to narrow too much in the front for me. I'd also like it in 22lr, though I do like the fireball on every shot from wmr.

glock2740
12-31-2011, 11:15
Congrats!

Darkangel1846
12-31-2011, 11:19
Mine shoots a house afire.....Mine hasn't jammed yet with close to 400 rounds through it, some rapid fire. Nicely accurate and fun to shoot.

JimIsland
12-31-2011, 11:24
Cool gun. I want one but will wait a little while before buying one.

The_Gun_Guru
12-31-2011, 20:08
Thanks guys!

I just ordered four more mags for it from Bud's which will give me a total of TEN:wow:

Can't wait to shoot it! I am mailing the money order on Tuesday and hope to have the gun the following week.

Pics when it arrives....I PROMISE!!!!!

TGG

bac1023
12-31-2011, 20:26
Congrats! :cool:

hogship
12-31-2011, 20:53
I've been thinking this would make an excellent SD gun for recoil sensitive women. With 30 shots available, she could give the bad guy about a dozen or so, before she even bothers to check on the results. Done this way, I suspect this would be a very formidable "man stopper" in delicate hands.

ooc

HKLovingIT
12-31-2011, 21:10
Don't know too much about it except it looks like fun.

Here a guy tests some different ammo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GunWebsites#p/u/9/jaNjkq2YE00

Might give you some ideas.

12-31-2011, 21:34
You guys must of gotten lucky with a P-30 that worked right. :whistling:
Or maybe you were unlucky with yours?:supergrin::tongueout:

The_Gun_Guru
01-01-2012, 12:57
I've been thinking this would make an excellent SD gun for recoil sensitive women. With 30 shots available, she could give the bad guy about a dozen or so, before she even bothers to check on the results. Done this way, I suspect this would be a very formidable "man stopper" in delicate hands.

ooc

I could not agree more!:wavey:

Great HD or SD gun for the gals and fun gun for the guys!

I have been stocking up on .22WMR for the past year or so in preperation for this gun and have about 2000 rounds now. Should be a hoot to shoot!:rofl:

TGG

buttonupcrew
04-09-2012, 09:57
Just curious THE_Gun_Guru how did your break in of the PMR-30 go? I been browsing on here for awhile and figure this would be as good as anytime to post my first message.

My local dealer got one and I'm thinking about getting it for some cheap fun.

The_Gun_Guru
04-09-2012, 10:11
Just curious THE_Gun_Guru how did your break in of the PMR-30 go? I been browsing on here for awhile and figure this would be as good as anytime to post my first message.

My local dealer got one and I'm thinking about getting it for some cheap fun.

First off, welcome!

I am still in the process of testing different ammo. I did learn that this gun is prone to "rim lock" so the mags need to be loaded very carefully.

I did notice that with the CCI Maxi-Mags (#0023 - TMJ lead round nose) my gun functioned FLAWLESSLY! It only acted up when using HP or FP ammo (because they are shorter and moved around is my guess).

I HIGHLY reccomend this gun!!! It is a blast to shoot and I am hoping that Kel-Tec offers a threaded barrel for it soon because I have a suppressor in the works that is rated for .22WMR!!!! :banana:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/gunguru364/0ee2eb8f-1.jpg

I think you should buy the gun!

TGG

BTW, here are a few pics:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/gunguru364/MISC%20Pistols/PMR-30.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/gunguru364/MISC%20Pistols/2012-01-25_16-09-07_833.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/gunguru364/imagejpeg952.jpg

buttonupcrew
04-09-2012, 10:18
Thanks for the welcome and the update.. Now off to the Gunshop I go:wavey:. Hopefully they still got it.

The_Gun_Guru
04-09-2012, 19:34
Thanks for the welcome and the update.. Now off to the Gunshop I go:wavey:. Hopefully they still got it.

So tell us....

did you get it?:wavey:

TGG

birda40
04-09-2012, 19:56
I've had a PMR-30 for a year now.... my wife kids love it. I originally had the flutted barrel, called Kel-tec and they sent me the fixed barrel to remedy Key holeing. I've found mine will shoot the 30 grain CCI's best. Everyone that shoots it wants it or one. Two mags 60 rounds can't beat it. The muzzle blast is awesome , feels like and is as lite as a squirt gun. Love it.

ctfireman
04-09-2012, 19:59
I've been making range trips just bc of this gun. I absolutely love shooting it. It's running great, especially with 40 gr CCI's.

GLOCK17DB9
04-09-2012, 20:00
Good Luck and hope you enjoy it>:wow:

birda40
04-09-2012, 20:15
Thanks guys!

I just ordered four more mags for it from Bud's which will give me a total of TEN:wow:

Can't wait to shoot it! I am mailing the money order on Tuesday and hope to have the gun the following week.

Pics when it arrives....I PROMISE!!!!!

TGG

How much are you getting the mags for, every where I look they want to much money for them.

Narkcop
04-09-2012, 20:16
I love shooting mine. Take down & cleaning is a little DIFFERENT but not difficult.

buttonupcrew
04-09-2012, 21:02
So tell us....

did you get it?:wavey:

TGG

Oh Not yet, somebody got first claim on it. Waiting to see if they come in and put down that money:whistling:

I learn to be patience in the gun buying game.

The_Gun_Guru
04-09-2012, 21:30
Oh Not yet, somebody got first claim on it. Waiting to see if they come in and put down that money:whistling:

I learn to be patience in the gun buying game.

AMEN TO THAT!

I waited seven months to get my LCP....which I later sold:whistling:.

I ALWAYS research before I buy whether it takes 10 days or 10 months to make a final decision.

Have you tried CDNN? 800-588-9500 :wavey:

TGG

Bulletsrrfriend
04-09-2012, 21:52
I have had mine for a while and it is a blast to shoot. I have ran several types of ammo with various results. CCI min mag and BVAC are what I shoot most. The Critical Defense, CCI TNT and CCI TNT green have issues with the bullet point profiles catching on the feed ramp occasionally. The V-max and other pointed polymer tip bullets work well and have an awesome fireball when fired. The report is not like any other I have experienced. It sort of has a concussive blast about it. The best feature is the light crisp trigger, not to mention its light weight fully loaded 19.6 ounces.

Wyoming
04-09-2012, 22:35
Congratulation, I will be looking for range report.:thumbsup:

birda40
04-10-2012, 05:41
Grabbed this from the Kel-tec site just in case some of you haven't seen it.

PMR-30 Ammo Recommendations Update

07-11-2011
Hello!
We've had a lot of questions come in regarding possible new ammunition recommendations in response to the updated barrel design. The overall list of recommended ammunition hasn't really changed, however there is something we feel is worth noting.
After extensive testing with various ammunition we have concluded that all remaining key-holing issues have been isolated to one particular brand and weight of ammunition. Unfortunately this seems to be the most common and available ammunition: CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr.
The 30gr and 50gr varieties of CCI shoot flawlessly, as do other brands of 30gr., 40gr., and 50gr. ammunition. For some reason, though, it seems that the 40gr. CCI Maxi-Mag in particular still has sporadic key-holing. At this point in time we have deemed it ammunition specific and recommend trying a different grain or brand of ammunition if your PMR-30 is still continuing to key-hole with an updated barrel.
This in no way means that all of your CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr. will key-hole; it just means we have experienced occasional key-holing with that particular ammunition and feel we should make everyone aware of it in the event you experience the same thing we have.
We'll be sure to keep you updated if we find out anything more!
As it stands, continue to steer clear of non-USA manufactured .22WMR rounds as they have a higher risk of case-rupturing due to inferior quality.
Thank you.

buttonupcrew
04-10-2012, 09:30
AMEN TO THAT!

I waited seven months to get my LCP....which I later sold:whistling:.

I ALWAYS research before I buy whether it takes 10 days or 10 months to make a final decision.

Have you tried CDNN? 800-588-9500 :wavey:

TGG

Thanks I will look there.

buttonupcrew
04-10-2012, 09:32
I have had mine for a while and it is a blast to shoot. I have ran several types of ammo with various results. CCI min mag and BVAC are what I shoot most. The Critical Defense, CCI TNT and CCI TNT green have issues with the bullet point profiles catching on the feed ramp occasionally. The V-max and other pointed polymer tip bullets work well and have an awesome fireball when fired. The report is not like any other I have experienced. It sort of has a concussive blast about it. The best feature is the light crisp trigger, not to mention its light weight fully loaded 19.6 ounces.

The trigger is pretty good for a Keltec. I was a little shock when I pulled and it didn't have no drag or long drawn out process. I'm thinkng it worth a try.

Viper 1
04-10-2012, 15:26
I love GunBroker!!!

Thanks!

TGG

I have around 600 rounds through a post recall model. I've seen a few issues but kel tec's customer service is outstanding.

CCI Maxi-mag and Hornady 30 grain runs the best. I've tried the 45 grain Hornaday but my pistol doesn't like any nickel plated casings, only brass.

I love it and it's a blast to shoot, very accurate.

Good luck!

buttonupcrew
06-17-2012, 08:06
I finally join the club and can't say i'm regretting it at all. Found one for $329 + tax. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time and was quiet please.

Should've clean it first because it was having troubles with feeding in the beginning, Or it could have been how i loaded the mags. I reloaded them and it work fine. It's a 22 that sound like you are shooting a 45.. Love the sound... I know it didn't happen, if there no pics.. So i'm working on it:cool:

ctfireman
06-17-2012, 09:05
I made the mistake of not reading the instructions, i was wrong. Make sure you read about how to load mags correctly as it makes all the difference.

buttonupcrew
06-17-2012, 10:28
I made the mistake of not reading the instructions, i was wrong. Make sure you read about how to load mags correctly as it makes all the difference.

Yeah I glance over those instructions but did remember a little of it when I was at the range(when the problem occurred)..
Too bad my hard head-ness wouldn't let me slow down enough to throughly go over stuff before hand, but I'm too much like a kid on christmas day when I get something new:embarassed:

birda40
06-17-2012, 11:25
To much oil no good, mine will work like a dream, but only 30 grain bullets.

ctfireman
06-17-2012, 13:52
Now that its broken in it runs great. I actually just came home with a tan colored PMR.

buttonupcrew
06-17-2012, 14:17
Now that its broken in it runs great. I actually just came home with a tan colored PMR.

Nice, where you find that one?