Remington's "new" nickel-plated target ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington's "new" nickel-plated target ammo

GunWhore
12-29-2011, 20:52
Happy holidays all.

I bought about a thousand rounds of this ammo in 9mm and was wondering (although, maybe a bit late to ask) if anyone has used this before and if so what did you think about it.

I don't reload and I will use this for target practice and competitions. I normally run wwb or federal 115gr and was on the line between this stuff and Speer lawman tmj but I heard the Speer is a little hotter load.

Thanks.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ssgrock3
12-29-2011, 21:07
I like nickel cases, but some people say they are brittle and don't last as well as brass. But in my .45 reload HP, they sure are pretty!

GunWhore
12-29-2011, 21:44
To be honest, I do like the look of them :cool:

These are supposed to be brass casings plated in nickel so it shouldn't be a problem, fingers crossed.

unit1069
12-30-2011, 19:07
These are supposed to be brass casings plated in nickel so it shouldn't be a problem, fingers crossed.

I saw your post on the other Remington range ammo thread and thought I should clarify what I wrote there.

My only experience with Remington FMJ range ammo is with the green/white box line. I understand that the Express line (green/gold) has sealed primers and is waterproofed whereas the cheapo line I shot doesn't.

The cheapo line left a lot of residue in the .380ACP I owned but others are going to have to tell you about the ammo you just bought.

Dogguy
12-30-2011, 19:42
Nickel plating the brass cases helps to prevent corrosion. It also looks nice and shiny and cleans up easily. Back when I used to reload, I decided nickel cases scratched much easier in the dies than plain brass cases.

I haven't tried the new nickel-cased Remington ammo but it appears to be the same as the standard lower priced UMC target ammo except for the cases. If so, it's good range ammo at a reasonable price.

GlockinNJ
12-30-2011, 20:08
I use this ammo in .40 and I love it. Already shot through 500 rounds and now I'm working on a case of 1,000.

cadillacguns
01-03-2012, 03:27
Where did you find this ammo, does Wal-Mart sell it?

GunWhore
01-03-2012, 12:31
www.sgammo.com but I looks like they are out now. Luckygunner has some in .45

Quarter Tank
01-03-2012, 12:42
hmmm, might have to give that a go for the price in .40

I do prefer nickel plated over standard brass any day. seems to feed smoother and just looks better

GunWhore
01-03-2012, 15:14
For that price I couldn't turn it down. I have a .40 on the wish list for the first half of 2012 so if it works out I'll stock up on both.

beforeobamabans
01-08-2012, 08:45
For that price I couldn't turn it down. I have a .40 on the wish list for the first half of 2012 so if it works out I'll stock up on both.

My .40 wish list got fulfilled just before Christmas with a Gen4 23and I immediately ordered 1000 nickel plated Rem 180 for $248 from SGAmmo. I also bought a case of 180 HST Govt overrun. I just got back from the range shooting both for the first time and both Ammos and the gun performed exactly like you would expect your new Glock to run: no runs, no drips, no errors.

voyager4520
01-08-2012, 08:54
Does the new nickel plated stuff have advertised velocities on the box? I wonder if they're the same as old UMC Target. From the pictures I've seen, the bullets look plated.

The product numbers appear to be the same. According to Remington's website from 4 inch barrels, the .40 165gr LN40SW4 is advertised at 1150fps muzzle and the 180gr LN40SW3 is at 990fps.

Again from a 4 inch barrel, the 9mm 115gr LN9MM3 is 1145fps muzzle and the 124gr LN9MM2 is 1100fps.

Besides the 115gr, those advertised velocities are decent. Though I have trouble believing them because of the problems people have had in the past with UMC being underpowered.

Petrie
01-08-2012, 08:55
OH NO! SGammo is supposed to be my secret place to buy ammo. :supergrin: If everybody finds out how good their deals are they'll probably raise their prices. I bought the 1000 rds of 9mm Nickel plated Remington and it's great ammo. What's great about sgammo is that they will put multiple calibers, brands, boxes, of ammo in one bigger box and not try and screw you on the shipping like midway, cheaperthandirt, etc will. I've ordered $400 worth of ammo from them in the last two months and and Ive been really pleased. Great place to get Winchester Ranger ammo. They have great deals on 40 s&w.

WiskyT
01-08-2012, 09:35
Is there any chance that stuff is zinc washed steel cases? It's surprising to see promo loads with nickle over brass.

beforeobamabans
01-08-2012, 15:24
Does the new nickel plated stuff have advertised velocities on the box? I wonder if they're the same as old UMC Target. From the pictures I've seen, the bullets look plated.

The product numbers appear to be the same. According to Remington's website from 4 inch barrels, the .40 165gr LN40SW4 is advertised at 1150fps muzzle and the 180gr LN40SW3 is at 990fps.

Again from a 4 inch barrel, the 9mm 115gr LN9MM3 is 1145fps muzzle and the 124gr LN9MM2 is 1100fps.

Besides the 115gr, those advertised velocities are decent. Though I have trouble believing them because of the problems people have had in the past with UMC being underpowered.
No velocities on the box, but you've got the part numbers right. I have no problem believing the 180 is in the 1000/400 range.

beforeobamabans
01-08-2012, 15:29
Is there any chance that stuff is zinc washed steel cases? It's surprising to see promo loads with nickle over brass.

No chance, unless you think Remington is outright lying. It looks, feels, feeds just like $30/50 HST. And the detail on the box shows nickel over brass. Remember, this is a new product and the bottom has fallen out of metal prices. BTW, very nice, innovative packaging. Rem used to just fill a 250 box with loose cartridges. This package has five 50 round trays stacked on top of one another with a nice slide out tab. Quality product from construction to packaging to performance. And I checked today, SGA is NOT sold out of this product. This is my target ammo of choice as long as the price holds.

WiskyT
01-08-2012, 16:02
No chance, unless you think Remington is outright lying. It looks, feels, feeds just like $30/50 HST. And the detail on the box shows nickel over brass. Remember, this is a new product and the bottom has fallen out of metal prices. BTW, very nice, innovative packaging. Rem used to just fill a 250 box with loose cartridges. This package has five 50 round trays stacked on top of one another with a nice slide out tab. Quality product from construction to packaging to performance. And I checked today, SGA is NOT sold out of this product. This is my target ammo of choice as long as the price holds.

No, Rem and SGA wouldn't lie about it. I couldn't tell anything from the OP's pic and I couldn't find it on SGA. Now I found it on SGA and it is clearly nickle plated.

beforeobamabans
01-08-2012, 16:03
I don't know why I'm trying to sell this stuff out from under me but, a pic or three is worth a thousand words...

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz83/beforeobamabans/Rem1.jpg?t=1326063548
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz83/beforeobamabans/Rem2.jpg?t=1326063600
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz83/beforeobamabans/Rem3.jpg

Quarter Tank
01-08-2012, 16:03
has this been shot yet?

Like I said earlier i like the nickel over brass cases, but what is the result?

beforeobamabans
01-08-2012, 16:12
has this been shot yet?

My .40 wish list got fulfilled just before Christmas with a Gen4 23and I immediately ordered 1000 nickel plated Rem 180 for $248 from SGAmmo. I also bought a case of 180 HST Govt overrun. I just got back from the range shooting both for the first time and both Ammos and the gun performed exactly like you would expect your new Glock to run: no runs, no drips, no errors.
150 rounds of the Remington in the 23 which only had 200 rounds on it prior.

Oh, one thing, if it matters. What the pics don't show is that this has a FN bullet if that bothers anyone.

GlockinNJ
01-08-2012, 20:19
has this been shot yet?

I've shot over 800 rounds of Rem UMC in .40 through my G22 and absolutely love it. It's my favorite factory ammo.