ssa 5.56 70g tsx.....no sealant? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ssa 5.56 70g tsx.....no sealant?

nickod
12-30-2011, 02:29
maybe its just because im used to using 5.56mm where sealant comes standard but im having trouble forking over the cash for silver state armory's 70 grain tsx loading due to the fact that it has absolutely no sealant and the primer pocket has no crimp. it may just be a mental thing but doesn't that sound like fragile ammo? btw ammo's purpose is for predator control and hunting on / near farm in crappy weather conditions more often than not. this round has everything i want performance wise other than seeming less than durable in bad climate conditions. am i just being silly? has any one actually had a ammo related malfunction maybe while hunting in a wet environment and thought to themselves "damn, i should of sprung for sealed ammo!" thought?

WiskyT
12-30-2011, 04:39
am i just being silly?

Yes.

NG VI
12-30-2011, 05:39
Use some clear nail polish on them if you want to seal it yourself.

Breadman03
12-30-2011, 08:14
There's a difference between ammo that better work after getting dropped off the side of an AMTRAC into a river, bouncing down a valley, then getting packed up by a helo to be delivered to a Grunt about to assault a fortified enemy position.

If you are worried about the sealant, there are commercial sealants available. People also take nail polish and cut it 50/50 with (I think rubbing alcohol) and put a little around the primer and the case mouth for extra assurance.

dkf
12-30-2011, 09:51
At over $27 per 20 that ammo looks to me like hunting ammo probably loaded with bolt action rifles in mind. You don't need sealed rounds with crimped primers for hunting.

Tiro Fijo
12-30-2011, 16:37
OP, do you camp with Bear Grylls? :supergrin:

Spiffums
12-30-2011, 17:57
OP, do you camp with Bear Grylls? :supergrin:

Is it time for this thread to drink it's own pee? :rofl:

nickod
12-30-2011, 18:24
I love this forum. So no sealant = no problem in everyones opinion?

frank4570
12-30-2011, 18:48
The guy who owns DoubleTap did a test once. He took 2 boxes of his ammo and sank them in water for 2 weeks. Then he took them out and he fired all of them with no problems. He offers sealed ammo but he thinks it's a waste of effort.

_The_Shadow
12-30-2011, 19:24
The guy who owns DoubleTap did a test once. He took 2 boxes of his ammo and sank them in water for 2 weeks. Then he took them out and he fired all of them with no problems. He offers sealed ammo but he thinks it's a waste of effort.

Been there and done that with a complete box of 50 357 I made for a co worker, he left them in his boat and it filled up with water due to rain storms, ammo was submerged for over two weeks. He gave them to me to pull them down...I told him to just shoot them he said they were not going to shoot! We went out to the woods and shot every last one of them...no primer sealants or bullet sealants either. :supergrin: